フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » /RDM vs /WHM
/RDM vs /WHM
 Ragnarok.Zaenon
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Lonoha
By Ragnarok.Zaenon 2014-04-27 20:28:40  
Hi.

Sorry about posting such a stupid 101 question, but "since we have no guide" etc.

I just came back and took DRG to 99. I got /WAR and /SAM ready, just need mage subs.

I see a lot of DRG/WHM running around. Thing is, I can't seem to think of a situation where /WHM would be better than /RDM, where you can refresh yourself and always have mp to trigger healing breath.

What am I missing?

Again, sorry for the stupid *** post.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-04-27 20:33:22  
-na spells?
By Lonoha 2014-04-27 20:44:05  
Duh. Thanks.
 Siren.Kentai
サーバ: Siren
user: Kentai713
By Siren.Kentai 2014-04-27 20:52:50  
Even with the -na spells I still prefer /rdm. Being able to quickly spam the 0.5 second barspells for healing breath triggers is nice. I value that even more than the refresh, since you can get an ethereal earring and usually avoid the need for refresh if you're getting hit.
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2014-04-27 23:13:07  
Siren.Kentai said: »
Even with the -na spells I still prefer /rdm. Being able to quickly spam the 0.5 second barspells for healing breath triggers is nice. I value that even more than the refresh, since you can get an ethereal earring and usually avoid the need for refresh if you're getting hit.
But... WHM has bar-spells with the same cast time, the only difference is the fact it's AoE & costs 12 MP rather than 6. So bar-spells really don't determine anything between WHM or RDM subs.
By Ophannus 2014-04-27 23:39:16  
/WHM is worthless

/RDM always. Stone1 is the best healing breath trigger, its instant and a 1 second recast and less MP than any trigger spell WHM has. Also refresh and ice spikes(ice spikes paralyzes basically everything and its quite potent. Now that you have trusts for -na's just stick with /RDM. You can remove with breaths from WS so -nas are kinda pointless unless you're getting Silenced/Doomed/Plagued and if you are, why are you fighting those mobs?

I just go DRG/RDM, cast Ulmia/Joachim/Cherukiki and go to town in that room full of Restless Twitheryms and Fluturini(single butterfly) in G-6 in Outer Ra'kaznar 2-2.8k EXP per kill, 160-184ish Capacity Points, Cherukiki does Haste, BRDs do March, mob dies in 20ish seconds, never need -nas and all the mobs are non-aggro, non-linking and weak to piercing. A very sweet solo spot for DRGs, gotten dozens of Job Points there.
 Asura.Reichleiu
サーバ: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-04-28 06:28:43  
Ophannus is pretty much correct in his analysis.. but he did forget those always useful en-spells, phalanx and convert pushing it further than /whm too.

That being said, /blu is still better if you are soloing high lvl NMs.

/rdm for fodder or exp is fine.
/blu for anything that is actually challenging.
By Ophannus 2014-04-28 07:24:02  
Phalanx and Enspells are superfluous these days, an extra 8-10 damage for you and your wyvern won't make or break anything, phalanx at /49 is also somewhere around -13ish damage I believe. Defense Food+/BLU is great for soloing NMs but really what NMs are you soloing on DRG these days when there aren't any unless you mean old NMs. If you're soloing old NMs you could probably get away with /SAM and trusts.
 Asura.Reichleiu
サーバ: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-04-28 12:23:05  
Ophannus, I didn't mean to imply that enspells or phalanx were game breaking, just that they are another thing to consider when choosing between the two. Any damage+ and any -damage taken is a good thing.

As far as NMs /blu would be best for..

Kirin
Shinryu (no brew)
Volitiale Matamata
Omega v2
Morimar Raptor

Really anything that can 1-shot you. Not to mention things like WoE or any battle you can't bring trusts into.

Truth is.. For pretty much everything else going /Sam with trust NPCs is better. But the whole point of going /Mage is to solo.. not rely on trusts. So in the case of pure soloing /rdm for fodder and /blu for anything that will one-shot you.

You don't need /Mage if you are just farming exp and job points. /Sam with whm BRD BRD trust if you are using them.