Building A New PC - Video Card Question

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Building a new PC - Video card question
Building a new PC - Video card question
 Cerberus.Avalon
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-15 11:16:43  
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I use an NVIDIA Geforce® GTX 660ti.

I actually got this graphics card so I could meet the recommended specs for FFXIV, which is ironic because I closed my FFXIV account after only a few days of playing.

The good news is, the card works very nicely for FFXI.

We were actually just discussing the graphics requirements for XIV last night in LS. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Fenrir.Camiie
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-04-15 18:40:39  
Yeah I think a 760 will do quite well for you.

If your budget does drop I've read recently that some of the lower end cards ($150 range) are actually pretty decent in this generation. Maximum PC seemed to be pretty high on the Radeon R265 and Geforce 750 Ti. Sounds like you want more performance than they would likely give though.
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2014-04-15 19:33:29  
I just built myself a new PC couple of months ago, my main focus was on the video card, mobo and SSD, along with liquid cooling (corsair H110) so ended getting a EVGA GTX 770 Classified, this it's a beast and as it was mentioned early about the PC crashing once a day issue, might be a fault with the display driver, doing a clean delete/reinstall of the driver will fix it.
If you are also looking for mobos Asus ROG series formula VI are very nice.

Also keep in mind that these cards are almost a foot long or more in depth and usually cover about 2 PCI slots because of the heat sink that comes attached also generating a lot of heat.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3778-KR

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-17 10:50:02  
Fenrir.Camiie said: »
Yeah I think a 760 will do quite well for you.

If your budget does drop I've read recently that some of the lower end cards ($150 range) are actually pretty decent in this generation. Maximum PC seemed to be pretty high on the Radeon R265 and Geforce 750 Ti. Sounds like you want more performance than they would likely give though.
Cerberus.Darkvlade said: »
I just built myself a new PC couple of months ago, my main focus was on the video card, mobo and SSD, along with liquid cooling (corsair H110) so ended getting a EVGA GTX 770 Classified, this it's a beast and as it was mentioned early about the PC crashing once a day issue, might be a fault with the display driver, doing a clean delete/reinstall of the driver will fix it.
If you are also looking for mobos Asus ROG series formula VI are very nice.

Also keep in mind that these cards are almost a foot long or more in depth and usually cover about 2 PCI slots because of the heat sink that comes attached also generating a lot of heat.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3778-KR

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/

Logical Increments has been an awesome guide in determining a balance between budget and performance. It took me a few glances to realize they've already built your future PC (so to speak) based on what you're willing to spend, and what your needs are. Great tool!

Also, with regards to using 2 monitors - will I need a card that has 2 display ports, or is there a way to do with just 1?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 12:13:48  
I need to stop reading these threads or I'll go spend that $ I just got from cashing out that IRA on building a new PC...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 12:15:26  
Jetackuu said: »
I need to stop reading these threads or I'll go spend that $ I just got from cashing out that IRA on building a new PC...
Yeah I thought I was content with this cheapo Radeon HD 6450, until I start browsing again. I switched from nvidia until I can grab a Ti.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 12:20:21  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Yeah I thought I was content with this cheapo Radeon HD 6450, until I start browsing again. I switched from nvidia until I can grab a Ti.
I'll sell you my 550ti for $50 if you come down and get it :P

If I have to ship it, $70+shipping :P
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 12:21:04  
It tempts me as well. I'm still rocking 2 hand-me-down radeon hd5830's...

Kids are expensive.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 12:23:29  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
It tempts me as well. I'm still rocking 2 hand-me-down radeon hd5830's...

Kids are expensive.
:D

that they are, that they are, and messy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 12:24:37  

Hmm, interesting, but I want 600 or higher.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 12:25:17  

Hmm, interesting, but I want 600 or higher.
I have a 660 but it's not a TI, I was too cheap :P
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-17 12:29:22  
Are you guys using a 2 monitor setup? I'm interested in doing that, but quite a few of the newer video cards only have 1 display slot.
 Siren.Ravager
サーバ: Siren
user: Reeicheep
By Siren.Ravager 2014-04-17 12:39:10  
most newer video cards have 2

DVI HDMI Displayport
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-17 12:51:51  
Siren.Ravager said: »
most newer video cards have 2

DVI HDMI Displayport

Ah, okay. I thought you had to have 2 Display ports, but I guess 1 monitor can be HDMI and another DVI, etc.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 12:52:50  
my card has 2 dvi, 1 display port and 1 hdmi.

If I had a display port>dvi adapter I'd use it over the hdmi, but I hadn't broken down and bought one yet.
 Siren.Ravager
サーバ: Siren
user: Reeicheep
By Siren.Ravager 2014-04-17 13:23:10  
DisplayPort is a Form of Video Out Liek DVI and HDMI

DVI Can Be Converted to VGA or HDMI

HDMI can be converted to DVI

DisplayPort can be HDMI, DVI, VGA,MiniDisplayPort,Thunderbolt Depending on the adapter
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 13:26:35  
Display port is a really nice output and isn't used enough.

Also does sound, and supports a higher resolution than basic HDMI.