So, Hows That Geomancer?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » So, hows that Geomancer?
So, hows that Geomancer?
By Daemythos 2014-02-27 02:27:52  
Just curious what everyones experience has been with geomancer?

I've been back to the game for about 10 days now and after getting all caught up and wrapping up some unfinished missions;

I'm trying to find a job that I enjoy and can be found in relative demand for end game activities,

So, with geomancer being around for a little bit now, I was wondering how everyone is finding it? what can I expect? Is it worth my time or should I level another support job instead?

Thanks for your time.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-02-27 02:51:50  
Geo is most useful in alliance content, which is extremely sparse at the moment. If you want an easy spot in most/all content, and don't have exceptional gear or the means to obtain it, it's pretty much just WHM or COR.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2014-02-27 03:01:03  
2 new delves coming next month so Geomancer should see a lot of action after the update. Geo is nice for mana burning the AA fights on the lower difficulties(PLD BLMx3, SCH, GEO). It is still useful, just not as much as other jobs currently.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-02-27 03:36:18  
i'm not really sure what the point of such a setup is, rng and pld can duo most normals, rng pld brd can trio all.. you aren't really making the setup any easier to obtain, and certainly not easier to execute

(i've never seen a single group asking for that setup, one person who uses it doesn't make it a good job choice to get invites on, which is what they asked)
By Pantafernando 2014-02-27 05:08:09  
I think lowman is a danger to geos demand. The main 3 buffers, brd cor geo, geo is the one who have less to offer aside the bufs.

Brd is the only who will allow more than 2 buffs (with dharp), making them the most wanted. Cor and geo are cureently limited to 2 at same time.

Cor have uniques buffs like double attack and crit rate bonus, also can deal dmg and have random deal/wild card.

Geo just have nukes aside buffs. And considering the geo magics have great mp cost. Even nuking is something you will do with moderation. Aside that, none really consider nukes from geo as anything relevant.

So imho, geo is the most boring job of the 3. Also the safest, its foolprof, hardly you will make mistake in this one. That can explain the low offer for then. Personally, the first 3 wins i got was as geo, but i just couldnt help but feeling like leeching.

Idk if new delve will be lowman also, suposing it is, i wouldnt recomend you to work in geo, as i think their demand will reduce a lot, unless SE start giving them extra luopans. Would recoemend you to do brd. Brd is the most wanted of all jobs, and most will even accept 2 songs, providing you have some knowledge, proper instruments, full af3+2 and skills capped.
 Bahamut.Malothar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-02-27 06:48:07  
Pantafernando said: »
Geo just have nukes aside buffs. And considering the geo magics have great mp cost. Even nuking is something you will do with moderation. Aside that, none really consider nukes from geo as anything relevant.

So imho, geo is the most boring job of the 3. Also the safest, its foolprof, hardly you will make mistake in this one. That can explain the low offer for then. Personally, the first 3 wins i got was as geo, but i just couldnt help but feeling like leeching.

Agree with not recomending Geo as your first support job, as it's not in great demand atm. However, the quoted is just wrong, IMO. On D+ AAs, sure. Balls to the wall meva and MDB, even with nuking buffs and great sets, you're not going to do much of anything against them. But SKCs, Delve, Skirmish, even Nexus and Stellar fights, nukes have a place, and Geo isn't a slouch at all with it.

Only reason to feel like a leech while Geoing is to not play the job to the best of what it can do. /Rdm you can handle debuffs fine, haste cycle, spot cures, 1500-2k+ nuking on Delve NMs during magic weak phases, 1-1.5k otherwise, pull NMs in Delve with grav/bind, etc. There's plenty you can do with it. If you were leeching on Geo, you'd prolly leech on Brd or Cor too, to be frank. Sing and stand there or roll and stand there. Same exact thing. Seen plenty of Geo's bubble up and stand there. Won't even replace the loupan til someone mentions no bubble. -.-

Do agree though, the demand for Geo is low atm, and it's not easy to convince many to give it a go, though it's comparable to a 2 song Brd or Cor for AAs Rng setup. Here's to hoping we can eventually cast an Indi effect on another party member and maintain 3 buffs. One can dream. :(
[+]
By Daemythos 2014-02-27 14:37:19  
Thanks for the insight everyone!
 Asura.Ivykyori
サーバ: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-02-28 17:50:48  
I started leveling GEO when it first came out, after getting it to level 22, I decided that it wasn't really my kind of job, and I left it alone.

I returned to the game a month ago and my ls leader suggested I level a job that would be needed in content since the only jobs I have leveled and (somewhat) geared are BLU and SCH, and since SCH doesn't have a stun set, I don't have the reaction time to stun, and miss one Lahar and you get crucified, that left me with BLU, which doesn't have much utility.

I was suggested BRD or GEO. I leveled BRD to 28, which was enough for aby procs back when it mattered and I won't touch it again. So GEO it was.

It's 99 and almost capped, and I'm still not convinced. It's an easy job to get into things with and it's kinda interesting with the luopans, but I also like to poke stuff. GEO can nuke, but that's not their job in current content; it's more of a "if your primary job (debuffing) is done, then, and only then can you nuke".

I'm basically leveling it just for the sake of having a second job to do stuff with (read: be useful). So think of it that way.
By Wordspoken 2014-02-28 18:46:05  
Asura.Ivykyori said: »
I started leveling GEO when it first came out, after getting it to level 22, I decided that it wasn't really my kind of job, and I left it alone.

I returned to the game a month ago and my ls leader suggested I level a job that would be needed in content since the only jobs I have leveled and (somewhat) geared are BLU and SCH, and since SCH doesn't have a stun set, I don't have the reaction time to stun, and miss one Lahar and you get crucified, that left me with BLU, which doesn't have much utility.

I was suggested BRD or GEO. I leveled BRD to 28, which was enough for aby procs back when it mattered and I won't touch it again. So GEO it was.

It's 99 and almost capped, and I'm still not convinced. It's an easy job to get into things with and it's kinda interesting with the luopans, but I also like to poke stuff. GEO can nuke, but that's not their job in current content; it's more of a "if your primary job (debuffing) is done, then, and only then can you nuke".

I'm basically leveling it just for the sake of having a second job to do stuff with (read: be useful). So think of it that way.
Are we playing the same game?
 Asura.Ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-03-01 07:22:56  
I should've reworded it better, but basically according to people I've spoken to on my server, I had a better shot at doing most of the new content with say, GEO, BRD, or COR than I would as BLU. I love playing BLU, but I was also getting tired of being told "nope" because I prefer to play a job that I love than playing one that makes me miserable (which is why I won't touch BRD unless I am super stinking shitfaced drunk).

I am aware that BLU has a lot of utility in many places though. But like I said, I rather have a second job instead of being stagnant in gear after 72303720740273 (Blue Mage) (No, thanks.) /tells.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-03-01 15:49:31  
>BLU doesn't have much utility.

>I'm aware that BLU has a lot of utility.

ok
 Asura.Ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-03-01 16:37:06  
...in new content. I'm aware of their utility in other places, but in new content, everyone throws mnks and sams and rngs at everything that there isn't much room for blu to shine.

Anyways, this was a post about the utility of geomancers in current endgame content and if they should level it.

I say level it just for the hell of it. If nothing more, it's a fallback job for when you can't do stuff on the job you like to play most.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [61 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Erlayn
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Erlayn
By Phoenix.Erlayn 2014-05-01 17:24:55  
I enjoy Geo and find it very fun to play. The different mechanics keep my interest fairly well. But as of late I have been finding it most effecting for reives.