Myst, Riven, and now Obduction
 Sylph.Maruraba
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-06 00:18:39  
So some of you might remember the classic adventure game Myst

or its sequel, Riven.

They were immersed the player in detailed sights and sounds as they explored strange new worlds. They were unique then and even now you don't see too many games that manage to capture that feeling of isolation and discovery as either of those games ever did. I still remember hanging out with my father, playing those two games around the computer with the lights turned down and the speakers turned up going back and forth trying to figure out how the strange devices worked and how to solve those trickier puzzles. They're still some of my favorite game experiences of all time.

Why am I mentioning all this? Because Cyan Worlds, the company that made those two games, wants to make a new game that captures that same feeling. It's called "Obduction," and it would be the first completely original game they've made in years. They've started a Kickstarter campaign and while they had a good start, things are slowing down and they might not reach their goal. I'm hoping that they make their goal, but knowing all the gamers on here, I thought I'd pass it on to any players who might also be interested in contributing/playing this new game, or at least in passing the word around.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Thanks for your attention and anyone else who decides to make a contribution. :)
[+]
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-06 19:11:39  
Little heads up for anyone who might be interested, the team is doing a live event at a Google+ hangout at 8 pm Central time (one hour from this post).

The link to the event is here:
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-07 17:44:55  
If you missed it, the Q&A session for the event is here:

They were a pretty fun bunch of guys and very informative without giving away spoilers.

Also, they announced that Robyn Miller, the guy who did the music and also acted in the first Myst game will be playing a role along with Rand, so that's pretty badass!

They've still got a ways to go, but with some more support this last week, they might make it. If you're a fan of the game or adventure games in general, please donate or keep spreading the word. Btw, they also accept Paypal via their site if you don't want to go through Kickstarter:
http://www.obductiongame.com/

Sorry if this counts as spamming, btw, moderators. I'm just stumping for a game I really hope gets made. Let me know if you want me to cut it out. ^^;
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-07 18:07:44  
anyone know if myst and riven will play nice with 64 bit systems like win8? i went digging for my old game discs.
 Bahamut.Nixak
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2013-11-07 18:32:21  
Wow. I played Myst on my Apple Preforma 20 years ago. My brothers and I all pooled our money for our first computer game ever. Myst holds a special place in my heart and memories for being the first. I hope Obduction is made.
[+]
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-07 19:39:48  
Odin.Jassik said: »
anyone know if myst and riven will play nice with 64 bit systems like win8? i went digging for my old game discs.
That's a tough one, Jassik. I think the problem is that they don't play well with newer versions of Quicktime, but if you screw around with some settings it might be doable.
For the record, they do have those two games and the oft-overlooked Myst V on Steam (Ubisoft won't let them do Myst 3 and 4 for some damn reason). They are also coming out with an updated version of realMyst, the 3D version of the game that originally came out in 2000, in modern-day graphics and all that.
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-09 18:49:14  
6 days left to go on this campaign. They've got over 15k supporters and they're at over $880k, but that's still $200k left to go. Hoping for a final push, but if anyone wants to chip in, you can get the game for just a $25 donation. That isn't much more than a regular downloadable title! And hell, the tier after that is $45 and has an art book and a soundtrack.

I know there's some adventure game fans out there who like their games to be an experience, so consider chipping in if you haven't yet. :)
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-09 22:59:13  
Sylph.Maruraba said: »
That's a tough one, Jassik. I think the problem is that they don't play well with newer versions of Quicktime, but if you screw around with some settings it might be doable.
For the record, they do have those two games and the oft-overlooked Myst V on Steam (Ubisoft won't let them do Myst 3 and 4 for some damn reason). They are also coming out with an updated version of realMyst, the 3D version of the game that originally came out in 2000, in modern-day graphics and all that.

Just a quick addition to this, I was able to install and run my original Myst disc on Win8, however, even in compatibility mode running as administrator the game locks up during the cutscenes. An older version of quicktime (i think it was quicktime) supposedly helps with that, but the newer version available from Steam is the only one that will actually work right with Win7+. So, pretty much out of luck if you don't have an older system to run it on.
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-10 00:34:31  

Just a quick addition to this, I was able to install and run my original Myst disc on Win8, however, even in compatibility mode running as administrator the game locks up during the cutscenes. An older version of quicktime (i think it was quicktime) supposedly helps with that, but the newer version available from Steam is the only one that will actually work right with Win7+. So, pretty much out of luck if you don't have an older system to run it on.
Well, that's what I thought, though I had hopes. Riven on Steam actually works just fine on my system running Windows 7, and I also know realMyst works (though again, it sounds like sometime soon they'll be coming out with the HD updated version of that one if you'd care to wait).
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-10 00:37:43  

Well, that's what I thought, though I had hopes. Riven on Steam actually works just fine on my system running Windows 7, and I also know realMyst works (though again, it sounds like sometime soon they'll be coming out with the HD updated version of that one if you'd care to wait).

People apparently get it to work on Win7+, but it takes a fair bit of tinkering with settings and custom screen resolutions, etc. Or at least the get the re-release to work, my copy is an original run copy and it's a no-go.
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-12 18:51:18  
So there are about 3 days left and we got a bump to put us within 100k of the goal. Who gave us said bump?

Yep! Neil Patrick Harris mentioned the campaign on Twitter!

This just might make it if we can get a little more support! Or at least another celebrity.
 Ragnarok.Eropiro
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Eropiro
By Ragnarok.Eropiro 2013-11-12 19:25:25  
Just backed! So stoked!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2013-11-12 19:35:37  
As much as I love adventure games, I'm a bit leery after the whole Broken Age fiasco. Try to raise $400k and suddenly 3.3 mil isn't enough? Sure, Tim.

While I have a vague sense of trust in Cyan, at least in as far as funds appropriation is concerned (Myst 4 and 5 weren't so great), I would like to remind everyone that crowd funding a video game development project has little more than an informal promise between the developer and yourself that anything at any point will actually happen.

With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this so long as the Myst universe stays where it belongs: in my rose-tinted memories.
 Sylph.Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2013-11-13 19:58:57  
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
As much as I love adventure games, I'm a bit leery after the whole Broken Age fiasco. Try to raise $400k and suddenly 3.3 mil isn't enough? Sure, Tim.

While I have a vague sense of trust in Cyan, at least in as far as funds appropriation is concerned (Myst 4 and 5 weren't so great), I would like to remind everyone that crowd funding a video game development project has little more than an informal promise between the developer and yourself that anything at any point will actually happen.

With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this so long as the Myst universe stays where it belongs: in my rose-tinted memories.
Well, fair dose of reality is good, Kongming. I really do think that Cyan will hit this one out of the park as well, but you raise a good point about the Myst series. Fortunately, they pretty much said the same thing (in not quite the same words, that Myst was kinda getting too far up its own ***), so that's why this is a new I.P. Very interested to see what Obduction turns into.

And now, in celebration of making the goal... dancing Rand Miller (in Uru, Cyan's Myst MMO [which is now Open and free to play and quite fun, though severely underpopulated and limited]). Ta-da!

Thanks to any FFXIAHers out there who chipped in as well. For those who haven't, you can still reserve a copy by contributing toward the stretch goals... or just play the game when it comes out (much) later in the future. :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1014 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2016-08-23 16:43:43  
Can't believe it's been nearly 3 years.

Obduction is due out tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it turned out
By mithramegz 2016-08-23 18:31:14  
It should be pretty good since it wasn't made by money grabbing companies that take out the soul of the game like SE.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-23 18:34:04  
Welcome back.