Buramenk'ah vs. Soothsayer
 Sylph.Malizia
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-10-08 02:13:18  
OK, with the version update we have this little gem:

Quote:
The following adjustments have been made to magic accuracy.

Magic accuracy will now increase when wielding a weapon with a displayed item level in the main hand.
* This bonus will not display in the item help text, but still applies.

I just tried Tojil full-timing Buramenk'ah for enfeebles, and I did... ok. Slow II and Para II were hard to land, but they did land. Silence landed 100% of the time, but didn't have a 2 minute duration; it was usually ~30 seconds (eyeballing here). This was about as good as I normally do with rank 10 macc soothsayer staff pre-update.

Anyone else try enfeebling with a Buramenk'ah? Anyone have an idea for how to properly test the magic accuracy?
By Yandaime 2013-10-08 03:06:49  
Me and my LSmates were talking about this as well. The only way I can think to test is to check your resist rates/potency effects of one vs the other. Like you say you landed Silence 100% of the time but duration was low, check that vs Soothsayer and see if Soothsayer's Silence lasts any longer. You can also go out and pop Kurma out in Morimar with afew LS mates for enfeeble testing, but I'm not sure how reliable the tests would be on a lower level NM :(

For reference though, from what you described it looks as though Bura is wonderful for Enfeebling now. Before this update, landing Silence on Tojil AT ALL was an ordeal and when it did land it would usually wear off immediately. But your saying you were landing it 100%? It was still wearing off quickly but not instant from what you could observe? That's awesome
 Bahamut.Ascadia
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ascadia
By Bahamut.Ascadia 2013-10-08 06:58:35  
According to the update info:

The Magic Accuracy bonus been removed from the help text of the following items.
Kannakiri +1 / Dowser’s Wand / Tamaxchi / Aedold +1 / Forefront Wand / Mondaha Cudgel / Sharur / Sharur +1 / Aedold / Sasah Wand +1 / Lehbrailg +1 / Forefront Staff / Soothsayer Staff / Atinian Staff / Atinian Staff +1 / Sortilevel Staff / Lehbrailg
* Magic accuracy has been deleted from the help text only. The attribute itself has been increased.

I interpret that as "an iLevel 118 weapon yields a minimum of 192 magic accuracy." Regarding in-game testing: this isn't the exact situation you requested, but I was able to land any Dark Magic spell on any mob in Ceizak or Yahse on Run/drk using a Crobaci +1 (iLevel 113). My Dark Magic skill is capped at 150 when /drk, so the macc boost seems to be (from eyeballing) quite large.

I took Rdm/war into Cirdas Skirmish later in the night with Buramenk'ah and had zero difficulty landing enfeebles (while spitting out un-Rdm-like damage), but that doesn't compare to Tojil. I'll pop some Delve NMs this afternoon and see what I can come up with.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-10-08 08:12:53  
Bahamut.Ascadia said: »
I was able to land any Dark Magic spell on any mob in Ceizak or Yahse on Run/drk using a Crobaci +1 (iLevel 113). My Dark Magic skill is capped at 150 when /drk, so the macc boost seems to be (from eyeballing) quite large.

This is pretty much exactly what I expected. Now subjob spells are going to be landable on anything short of the current max endgame content. At least Kurayami: Ni will be proccable in Abyssea now without a Ninja! My skillchains will never resist! My Violent Flourish will be 95% reliable!
 Sylph.Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-10-08 14:06:47  
Yandaime said: »
Before this update, landing Silence on Tojil AT ALL was an ordeal and when it did land it would usually wear off immediately. But your saying you were landing it 100%? It was still wearing off quickly but not instant from what you could observe? That's awesome
Well, to be fair to Soothsayer, I was landing Silence on Tojil consistently (80-100% of the time) pre-update with my Soothsayer, with my super-extreme magic accuracy set. The duration with Buramenk'ah wasn't significantly better. I wasn't landing Paralyze II before, but I wasn't really trying to land it before either.

(set for reference, legs are rank 15 macc, soothsayer is rank 10 macc)
ItemSet 156270

Bahamut.Ascadia said: »
I interpret that as "an iLevel 118 weapon yields a minimum of 192 magic accuracy." Regarding in-game testing: this isn't the exact situation you requested, but I was able to land any Dark Magic spell...
That was my interpretation as well. Also, using a subjob-only spell sounds like a plausible method for testing magic accuracy, because then I could test it on content that isn't going to kill me. Maybe RDM/BLU or something?
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-10-08 15:07:59  
So for now Bura/Genbu is the best Enfeebling weapon/shield combo I suppose? Also, MAcc only comes from the main hand, right? Or will I be going RDM/NIN to EG content now so I can squeeze out that extra 162 Magic Acc out of my Hala? XD

If so, that actually makes me fairly happy, my worthless Mythic I am working on might actually be of use so long as the skill is at least around Bura, since I assume it will match Excal/Almace. All in all, this actually makes me happy, cant wait to know the exact info on it all. :D
 Sylph.Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-10-10 13:18:11  
SE weighs in on the issue!

... and reveals that there's actually a second magic accuracy stat that is dependent both on item level and weapon type. So, I guess Buramenk'ah is still likely to be the best choice?

Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
So for now Bura/Genbu is the best Enfeebling weapon/shield combo I suppose? Also, MAcc only comes from the main hand, right?
Yes, macc only comes from the mainhand, at least that's been pretty clear and consistent from SE so far. As for the best shield... Genbu's shield can get up to +5 magic accuracy on it, matamata shield +1 has 8 MND on it, and harpy shield has +3 magic accuracy on it. I'd use Genbu, assuming you are lucky enough to get that augment.