users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » News » [Dev] Stat Allocation for Class and Job
[Dev] Stat Allocation for Class and Job
VIP
By Kalila 2013-08-16 11:10:08  
Stat Allocation for Class and Job
by aqueliaAug 12, 2013

Hvinire’s quote!

In version 1.0, stats could be allocated for both the class and for the job. However, in A Realm Reborn, you will now only be able to allocate points for the class itself. As you know, the arcanist branches into two jobs (Summoner and Scholar) and as Yoshida explained in the Letter from the Producer LIVE, it will be up to players to decide how the want to allocate their stats on arcanist. Players can focus on one job or the other; or choose the respective stat to enhance – like if you want to focus on scholar’s healing, you can choose MND or if you want to focus on scholar’s DPS capabilities, you can choose INT. You can also take a “middle of the road” approach and maintain a good balance.

Beyond that, as Yoshida mentioned, we’ll also be preparing gear with varying stats (beyond the type that players have seen thus far) that players can utilize to focus on specific stats.

Okay… I got as much from the Live Letter but here is re-confirmation. This will make it interesting when choosing where to distribute points. Since they’re going to add more jobs per class later, everyone will have to make this choice, choose to be better at one job over the other or be ‘balanced’. Currently only players choosing Arcanist will need to make this choice since we only have 1 known Job per class, so if you are going gla > pld, then you can dump all your extra points into stat now.

Hopefully the process of changing these stats will not be too cumbersome. From what I gather in the Live Letter they will add a way for us to change stat allocation via an item whose source is currently unknown. +30 stat at level 50 really advantages the job you are on so, we’ll need to do some testing to see how much DPS difference a ‘balanced’ player is. Can’t wait to test some stuff out in Phase 4!

If any of this is confusing you, read this, hopefully it will clarify the class > job distinction and relationship. If you need even more clarification on stats and what it currently does as of Phase 3, read this!
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-16 11:34:53  
Wait I'm still slightly confused.. Can you allocate stats for each job individually? or say if i level lancer and put in all DD stats and then level blm (thatumaughtauerauge) i can allocate for that one too? or is it just 1 and done.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
サーバ: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-08-16 15:34:21  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Wait I'm still slightly confused.. Can you allocate stats for each job individually? or say if i level lancer and put in all DD stats and then level blm (thatumaughtauerauge) i can allocate for that one too? or is it just 1 and done.

Each "Base" job is seperate but when it branches for example;

As an Arcanist you are allowed to do your stats, but they don't reset if you choose to unlock both summoner and scholar, (both jobs use different main stats) so you have to plan accordingly.

Another example, let's say in the future Gladiator -> PLD or DRK, you get to allocate your stats as a gladiator, but not for PLD AND DRK, so you would have to allocate according to your preffered job class. (str or vit prob)

In 1.0, they didn't have this problem since jobs never branched out.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-16 15:42:45  
thanks for the reply. And I hope drk will be a gladiator job. Also they did say they will have items that let you respec every now and then right? especially when the new expansion comes out. Though now im curious as to what lancers second job would be...
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-08-16 19:22:20  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
thanks for the reply. And I hope drk will be a gladiator job. Also they did say they will have items that let you respec every now and then right? especially when the new expansion comes out. Though now im curious as to what lancers second job would be...

If i had to guess it would be Samurai, Since samurai's CAN use polearms, but GKT would be their main weapon, not to mention they get tp bonus JA's as well. Just makes sense to me.
サーバ: Odin
user: Cakex
By Odin.Kingdinguhling 2013-08-25 18:11:44  
Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
If i had to guess it would be Samurai, Since samurai's CAN use polearms, but GKT would be their main weapon, not to mention they get tp bonus JA's as well. Just makes sense to me.

I honestly see SAM coming from something like Lancer(Lancer uses Store TP gear) ... Also DRK would probably branch from Marauder... not to say it cant be Gladiator but it could easily be either or.....

Also given the possibility of a lvl cap increase I see gladiator being able to dual wield first giving it possibilities for jobs like RDM

Think about this they proably have to add a Class with the base weapon first Example Assassin (Dagger proficient) ---> THF

here is the real tricky idea ... SMN or SCH didn't loose Arcanist main weapon ... they stayed with the books (Grimoire's)

So if this follows suit a SAM with a Polearm? lancer ---> SAM?
DRK with a 1 handed Sword? gladiator ---> DRK?

this is where it confuses me ... I see them addingstuff like BLU or RDM to gladiator's Abilties and Weapon
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-25 18:56:25  
Odin.Kingdinguhling said: »
Fairy.Ghaleon said: »

I honestly see SAM coming from something like Lancer(Lancer uses Store TP gear) ... Also DRK would probably branch from Marauder... not to say it cant be Gladiator but it could easily be either or.....

Also given the possibility of a lvl cap increase I see gladiator being able to dual wield first giving it possibilities for jobs like RDM

Think about this they proably have to add a Class with the base weapon first Example Assassin (Dagger proficient) ---> THF

here is the real tricky idea ... SMN or SCH didn't loose Arcanist main weapon ... they stayed with the books (Grimoire's)

So if this follows suit a SAM with a Polearm? lancer ---> SAM?
DRK with a 1 handed Sword? gladiator ---> DRK?

this is where it confuses me ... I see them addingstuff like BLU or RDM to gladiator's Abilties and Weapon

I don't know how they would add or implement BLU or RDM, SCH basically fills RDM's role in 14.

As for SAM, when/if they add other DD classes, I'm sure SAM will be at the top of the list, but I see it coming more from the archer/murauder area than the lancer one.
By Odin.Kingdinguhling 2013-08-25 22:38:27  
Odin.Jassik said: »
I don't know how they would add or implement BLU or RDM, SCH basically fills RDM's role in 14.

As for SAM, when/if they add other DD classes, I'm sure SAM will be at the top of the list, but I see it coming more from the archer/murauder area than the lancer one.

LOL no proof and it follows no pattern or reason ....

SCH and SMN both use Books from arcanist...

How do you Explain Marauder or Archer 30 all the sudden Switching to a Great Katana

As with most classes they stay with the same weapon into the job they become ..... Now that's not to say Archer or Marauder or Lancer couldn't be the sub-class or skill sharing class.

But I believe the closest to it atm would be Polearm and Lancer

on the Second Opinion about RDM and BLU they both are melee capable jobs. So not to different then from PLD ....

Your just used to RDM only being a backline Healer/Enfeebling mage in FFXI to be open-minded enough for it to be in FFXIV.

(use your imagination)

the sword wielding class is already there "Gladiator" this could branch like

Arcanist > SMN/SCH

Gladiator > PLD/RDM/BLU ...

And I believe Yoshi P. said something already about Onion Knight. don't think its been completely confirmed but I think he's mentioned it. Not really sure on the Onion Knight background but I think its something like a RDM or BLU or DRK
 Siren.Knivesz
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-08-25 22:55:48  
As hard as it is to come up with new jobs, I hope they do manage to somehow create some unique new jobs in the future expansions and don't just start porting over all the FFXI jobs. At least one or two jobs completely unrelated to the FF 11 jobs (or mixed in with the jobs they will surely just take from 11 in future expansions) is hopefully not too much to ask.
By Odin.Kingdinguhling 2013-08-25 23:20:31  
well atm... from play all the previous FF games I think I am having the hardest time just adjusting to the job ability combat system .....

its really a whole new style of FF game so to me none of the job perform like previous jobs ....

even magic spells cast like a job ability too me ...

currently it is kinda a generic feel but I think its growing on me!!!
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2013-08-27 15:45:28  
In case anyone was interested you can reset your allocated points with an item obtained by trading 10,000 grand company seals. It's available as soon as you join a grand company (though it would take some time to acquire the seals).

As for the future branching jobs...I'm not sure how they'll handle things given the way they've tied weapons to classes. Obviously they can add more base classes as well. It might be that they technically add more weapons to a class (ie. marauder or gladiator using scythes) but never add the base class to any of those weapons (ie. all scythes are DRK only), though I feel like that would potentially play havoc with the base classes' abilities.
By Ophannus 2013-09-18 21:46:18  
I wonder if they'll add a Thief class which will branch into Ninja and Assassin(or Dancer). One of the moogles in the Good King Moogle Mog fight wears THF armor and has a dagger and the other moogles represent a class as well. Would make sense since there's no real job that specializes in daggers and light armor or dual wielding yet.
 Bismarck.Tsuchinoko
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tsuchinoko 2013-09-19 03:27:04  
Ophannus said: »
I wonder if they'll add a Thief class which will branch into Ninja and Assassin(or Dancer). One of the moogles in the Good King Moogle Mog fight wears THF armor and has a dagger and the other moogles represent a class as well. Would make sense since there's no real job that specializes in daggers and light armor or dual wielding yet.
A friend of mine said the story character Thancred of the Scions is a ninja, and in a CS he is shown with throwing knives. And i remember that throwing rings/daggers were in 1.0 as well.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-19 03:59:09  
they had said in a dev post earlier back in 1.0 days that there were talking of thf being a base class for ninja. but nothing was confirmed obviously.
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-09-19 05:06:56  
Well they can add extra classes for new jobs like ronin > samurai + ninja and have them like GLD is now and have the base class use two weapons. Ronin gets Katana and GK then once you do the job quests SAM isnt on any Katanas and Nin isnt on any GKs. You could do the same with w/e class turns in to drk class could use w/e and the drk weapon then the other job loses it as an option. With SMN and SCH it really didnt matter what weapon either job used I am glad though they went with books, instead of clubs/staves, as they look awesome.
By Ophannus 2013-09-19 17:14:29  
I can see DRK coming from Maurauder. Damaging a mob and having your HP healed, abilities like Blood Bath, using 2handed weapons. It's all very Dark Knight. Just have to let Dark Knights specialize in Great Axes and Great Swords(Cecil as a DRK could still use Great Axes and so could DRKs in FFXI)
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-19 18:32:08  
Odin.Kingdinguhling said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

LOL no proof and it follows no pattern or reason ....

SCH and SMN both use Books from arcanist...

How do you Explain Marauder or Archer 30 all the sudden Switching to a Great Katana

As with most classes they stay with the same weapon into the job they become ..... Now that's not to say Archer or Marauder or Lancer couldn't be the sub-class or skill sharing class.

But I believe the closest to it atm would be Polearm and Lancer

on the Second Opinion about RDM and BLU they both are melee capable jobs. So not to different then from PLD ....

Your just used to RDM only being a backline Healer/Enfeebling mage in FFXI to be open-minded enough for it to be in FFXIV.

(use your imagination)

the sword wielding class is already there "Gladiator" this could branch like

Arcanist > SMN/SCH

Gladiator > PLD/RDM/BLU ...

And I believe Yoshi P. said something already about Onion Knight. don't think its been completely confirmed but I think he's mentioned it. Not really sure on the Onion Knight background but I think its something like a RDM or BLU or DRK

As others have said, they could easily add another class and require one of the current classes as a sub or allow one of the current classes to equip multiple weapons that would become exclusive to a job. SAM traditionally (in history and FF) primarily used a Katana (GK in FFXI) and had some form of ranged attack like a bow or FFXI-ish ninjutsu.

As for BLU or RDM having the same kind of origins, seriously... RDM is a mage and BLU is a DD. I played RDM as a support mage, healer, tank, DD, and solo'd melee and DoT/Nuke kiting. It could shift and fill many roles, but it is a support mage. The idea that they are both front line melee mages is idealistic. BLU can't really be regarded as a tank in its traditional form, RDM is more of a support class. So neither of those can come out of MRD or GLD just because they traditionally use swords. It's all speculation anyway.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-19 18:58:58  
Ophannus said: »
I can see DRK coming from Maurauder. Damaging a mob and having your HP healed, abilities like Blood Bath, using 2handed weapons. It's all very Dark Knight. Just have to let Dark Knights specialize in Great Axes and Great Swords(Cecil as a DRK could still use Great Axes and so could DRKs in FFXI)

after the story in some of the dialogue (i honestly wished i had taken a SS) but it described a knight clad in black wielding an ungodly 2handed blade, assuming that npc was talking about drk, i would say drk will be using GSWORD.

In my mind how i think this will work out is;

Base classes can use only the weapon tied to them, but once a soul crystal is equipped, you can equip the weapons that your job specializes in. so let's assume Marauder turns into drk, Marauder can use only gax, but once you are a drk, you can use both gax AND gsword. could even take it further by giving advanced bonuses for using Gsword over a gax (ex; increased acc/crit etc)
 Siren.Knivesz
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-09-19 19:05:11  
Considering the fact that your job level always equals your class level when they do introduce new jobs I think its more likely they will just introduce new classes along with them. Lest we forget this is an MMO which inherently means grinding so I doubt they are gonna like the idea of people being able to log on day 1 of the expansion already max level on the new jobs without even having done anything.
[+]
By Raborn 2013-09-19 20:40:02  
Classes > Jobs > Professions

Would be a great way to reveal new jobs and bring new level limits into the game, along with more specialization!

MAR > WAR > BER (Berserker)

GLD > PLD > HKN (Holy Knight)

PGL > MNK > MAS (Master)

ARC > SMN > NEC (Necromancer)*
ARC > SCH > PRO (Professor)*

CNJ > WHM > ANG (Angelic Mage)

THM > BLM > DMC (Demonic Mage)

ARH > BRD > TRP (Trapper)* <More damage oriented form of this arc, no buff orientation>
ARH > BRD > TLK (Tale Keeper)* <Less damage oriented than brd but more highly buff oriented>

LNC > DRG > GKN (Grand Knight) <Possibly RKN or Royal Knight>

A lot of play can be done with a Profession rank, either further increasing a jobs specialties or closing the gap on their weaknesses.
It'd be amazingly fun to be able to give the players as individuals control over how the finalized "Profession" turns out. Then create situations where more balanced teams/players triumph and others where more specialized players/teams triumph. Adding to the diversity of the melding pot and encouraging players to not only level more than 1 or 2 jobs but to choose different levels of professions within them.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-20 00:11:13  
Siren.Knivesz said: »
Considering the fact that your job level always equals your class level when they do introduce new jobs I think its more likely they will just introduce new classes along with them. Lest we forget this is an MMO which inherently means grinding so I doubt they are gonna like the idea of people being able to log on day 1 of the expansion already max level on the new jobs without even having done anything.

i hear what you are saying but they already confirmed that jobs will be branched off at 30 from the base class. so :/ I could see them doing quite a few new base classes though (musketeer, thief(roguew/e) etc.