users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Gathering » Gardening » Gardening question
Gardening question
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-07-06 04:52:30  
i just started gardening, and i'm trying to get light ores using porcelain pots and tree saplings. the recipe says don't feed it either time and i was told it actually prompts you to feed or not. i heard it has a greater effect if you feed a crystal on its element day, but if i'm not feeding, would it make sense to reject it food on lightsday for the ore element?
 Sylph.Cohan
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Cohan 2009-07-06 06:36:47  
Boundsoul said:
i just started gardening, and i'm trying to get light ores using porcelain pots and tree saplings. the recipe says don't feed it either time and i was told it actually prompts you to feed or not. i heard it has a greater effect if you feed a crystal on its element day, but if i'm not feeding, would it make sense to reject it food on lightsday for the ore element?

that is a good question, bc i myself just started gardening and would like to know this XD.
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-06 06:48:56  
You can't 'reject' feeding them.

Only leave them alone.

Feeding has a window (the length of this dependis on the plant and pot). For saplings it is ~2 RL days (iirc, it has been a while since i did any light or dark ores).

Over the feeding window the plants will be weak (and feeding them strengthens them) so you need to check them at least once per RL day, if you don't they will die. (normally they can got 2 days between checks)

IMO light and dark ores are a pain in the ***. You have to give you plants more checks as you aren't feeding them and they take longer to grow (as you aren't feeding them).

Although feeding is a bit of a pain (trying to feed on the right day), I simply plant on Friday afternoon (Darksday) and as each feeding point is a little over a week apart my feeding days will fall roughly on Saturday morning (first feed), saturday afternoon (second feed) and sunday (harvest).

Because they are always at the weekend it is relavely easy to wait for the right ingame day (not limited by work etc).

This is worth a read
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-07-06 07:26:55  
so going off that guide, i already have moghancement: gardening, so since going for light ores i should plant on lightsday and harvest on darksday.

i'm testing this out, cuz my ultimate goal is to have my main and one mule growing ores and my other mule growing saplings. when i have the gil, switching from porcelain to arcane pots since they're preferred.