フォーラム » FFXI » NMs » Tojil Strat!
Tojil Strat!
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-07-03 03:40:13  
Assuming you're using 2 schs, whichever sch missed the stun on Barolithic Shell should immediately start dispelling as well. You can get 2-3 Dispels in before your next stun rotation is up, usually. Along with brds and rdm, all of the buffs should be gone pretty quick.

Sch's don't need Embrava or Marches, though those certainly make stunning a lot more convenient. Alacrity along with simple Haste is enough to keep up with moves, between two sch's. Pyroclastic Surge isn't any big deal, and Tyrranical Blow shouldn't be too bad, but anything else should definitely be stunned.

Peiste: Don't stun everything. Focus everything on stunning Calcifying Mist. Since it can use another TP move immediately after being stunned, there's a chance of multiple Calcifying Mists being used in a row. Stunners need to be ready for that. Divine Caress+Accession+Paralyna after Torpefying Charge, and the rest should be trivial damage that you can cover with curagas.

Kurma: It's almost impossible to stun Harden Shell, and impossible (outside random luck) to stun Tortoise Song, so stunners can just free stun after any given move to give an extra couple seconds to the whm for healing. Don't think you want to actually stun most the moves, since they increase the damage of the DDs. Stun Tetsudo Tremor, of course.

It always seems to me that if anything's going to go wrong, it's going to happen in the first 10-20 seconds. Perhaps the whms were in a curaga mindset, and in the initial pull one DD took a lot of damage before being positioned with everyone else, so they go down to an AOE. Sleepga or Breakga happening as it runs in can also be a problem, as is any major TP move that happens before it gets into range of the stunners (one stunner should be up near the melee during the initial pull to catch stuff like that).

I'm still not sure what exactly happens in those first few seconds in the runs I've been on, and certainly can't give any insight on yours, but that's where you need to be most watchful, and spend most your time trying to fix any mistakes. Mistakes later in the fight are usually fallout from mistakes earlier on, so there's less value in criticizing errors there.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-07-03 03:45:53  
Batholithic Shell, Incinerating Lahar, and Volcanic Stasis are the only ones that need to be stunned on Tojil. Stasis is only used if you remove the aura. Meteor and Kaustra too, but you can probably get away with letting Kaustra through, it's not as bad as you'd think considering it's single target. Can stun Blistering Roar if you really want to.
[+]
By Ravenn42 2013-07-03 08:14:20  
Ok so what I gather from your help which is so much appreciated is that the DD need to turn on spikes if it is up... and we need a lot more dispel going on. I assume that only the Rdm was doing dispel and from what you all said.that wont cut it do to all the buffs.

I also watched a few videos where there was someone holding tojil while they buffed... is that recommend or is it better to buff pull and charge in?
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
user: Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-07-03 08:18:30  
Ravenn42 said: »
I also watched a few videos where there was someone holding tojil while they buffed... is that recommend or is it better to buff pull and charge in?
If you hold it while buffing, then you are cutting down on the wasted buff duration that you would of had while waiting for the pull.
[+]
By Ravenn42 2013-07-03 08:29:14  
Fenrir.Sigfreid said: »
If you hold it while buffing, then you are cutting down on the wasted buff duration that you would of had while waiting for the pull.

Would it be like other NMs just super tank with a pld while we buff?
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-07-03 09:26:30  
For Kurma it's worth mentioning it will not use Tortoise song if all people within range (20 yalms) do not have a song or roll on. It's a good way to build the damage multipliers up.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-07-03 09:40:03  
You must of had someone with a song or roll within dispelling range. Remember he is a large mob so the distance plugin may not be 100% on point.
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
user: Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-07-03 09:45:26  
I thought it usually said if it removed a buff (and how many) from someone via the chat log.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Tiniky
user: Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-07-03 09:50:51  
How do you guys WS on raptor? Do people usually call out a time? Or do they do it every 5 minutes on the vana clock? My LS just forbids any non monk to WS. Usually raptor takes a pretty long time because of this.

We unfortunately do not have the perfect setup, but we try to make do (usually have DRKs and SAMs too).
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-03 10:00:20  
Most groups I've seen just have the other 2 DD's (usually DRG and either DRK/WAR/SAM) either not WS or they pair them off with another DD. Timing it by the vana clock is a cool idea, but you can't see it while engaged.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-07-03 10:03:38  
MNK use Shijin, DRG uses Penta, DRK holds mata if it's around, or doesn't WS at all

But if your raptors are taking more than 2-3 minutes, you need to check the accuracy of your DD and insure that songs/rolls/luopons are applied. It's easily the fastest kill in the zone.
 Odin.Boleslaus
サーバ: Odin
user: boleslaus
By Odin.Boleslaus 2013-07-03 10:09:56  
so what the deal with the en-spells i havent seen anything on it
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-07-03 10:25:08  
So far as anyone can gather with any degree of certainty, one MNK using wind runes for the first 25% of Tojil removes his aura until such a time that he reapplies it. Nothing further is defined
 Bismarck.Squah
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Squah
By Bismarck.Squah 2013-07-03 10:40:29  
People actually hold WS on Raptor? Our MNKs spam spiral, DRK uses resolution and our DRG has a mythic with Drakes. With Mantra up it is absolutely not going to kill anyone before a stun or cure goes off.
By Ravenn42 2013-07-03 10:40:58  
On tojil can someone explain how the pull works? I mean we sac pull and just start right away. I have seen videos where they hold them and buff just try8ng to find the right way.
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-03 10:42:52  
On tojil can someone explain how the pull works? I mean we sac pull and just start right away. I have seen videos where they hold them and buff just try8ng to find the right way.

Our PLD just holds him near the alliance until buffs are up. Twilight sacking works just fine if there are too many adds.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-03 10:47:20  
Bismarck.Squah said: »
People actually hold WS on Raptor? Our MNKs spam spiral, DRK uses resolution and our DRG has a mythic with Drakes. With Mantra up it is absolutely not going to kill anyone before a stun or cure goes off.

He dies in 3min. But we do the same thing as above. MNKs use SS, DRG uses Penta and our DRK just SEs and TPs. Even if the DRK WSing shaved a minute off (it doesn't) it wouldn't matter over the course of a run.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-07-03 10:50:06  
A boosted raptor can absolutely kill someone at full HP. It may not be a common occurrence, but it happens, and you're not shaving off enough of your time with Resolution to warrant that risk
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2013-07-03 11:02:58  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
THe enspell breakthrough has literally just been made a couple of hours ago, no one's keeping any secrets. It's on a public forum. We don't know how exactly it works yet either. My LS just spams dispel on Kurma to drop its DEF boost and it ends up dying within 5~6 mins. Maybe get better DDs
Video proof or it doesn't exsist!!
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-07-03 11:39:39  
Leviathan.Syagin said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
THe enspell breakthrough has literally just been made a couple of hours ago, no one's keeping any secrets. It's on a public forum. We don't know how exactly it works yet either. My LS just spams dispel on Kurma to drop its DEF boost and it ends up dying within 5~6 mins. Maybe get better DDs
Video proof or it doesn't exsist!!
Just go do it and see for yourself :x

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-07-03 12:39:57  
What rolls do the CORs usually do? What if they don't swap? What if they do swap?

I'd think: Hunter's, Chaos, Fighter's, Tactician for swapping

Hunter's / Chaos for not swapping. Could be wrong though..

Our LS uses Hunter's / Fighter's for NMs, and we don't swap COR (we also usually fail to kill the NMs >_<)

Also, if we only have non GHORN / Dura bards, what songs would you guys suggest for both NMs and Boss mobs?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-07-03 12:43:43  
Chaos/Hunter's(in that order) when not swapping, Chaos/Hunter's/Fighter's/Rogue's when swapping

Edit: Didn't see the song question

In order of priority: March/March/Madrigal/Madrigal/Minuet/Minuet/Minuet/Minuet

Cut songs from left to right right to left in accordance with available DDB BRDs. If you wanted to be perfectly optimal, minuets should take precedent over madrigals on a few fights, but I wouldn't complicate things for a job that most people are quite proficient in messing up

Edit2: I can't directions
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-03 13:04:37  
If I had to wait for 8 songs to be available all the time I don't think I'd be playing FFXI.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-07-03 13:06:54  
I would very much love to do this fight, but couldn't trust a PUG for it. Plasm is slow going at the moment, because if I join someone elses PUG, we get 4-5.5k, whereas if I set one up (and after millions of years of yelling for the right people) we will end up with 6-8k unless something goes wrong.

If anyone needs a DRK on Cerberus for these runs, I would love to come along. I have Bereaver 15, and a nice dark magic set and constantly upgrading Mikinaak at the moment.

I have even considered making a brand new LS just to spam Tojil and the others, but if anyone could fit me in somewhere, I would be really grateful.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-07-03 13:07:18  
If you're doing Morimar NMs, it isn't really necessary to swap COR during Eft or Kurma.
[+]
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-07-03 13:09:58  
Valefor.Angierus said: »
Valefor.Tiniky said: »
What rolls do the CORs usually do? What if they don't swap? What if they do swap?

Swapping on boss is critical, we do Hunters and Chaos on first two rolls, second set of rolls is Figher's and Rouge's, we keep the swapped CORs in PT, and when Hunters falls they just start reapplying how they would if they were in their original parties.

For everything but the boss, we don't bother because ***dies within 3-4 minutes of pull that I don't think there would be much of a difference if we had rouges and fighters on.

If you don't have 8 songs I wouldn't even bother attempting the boss, you could get away with 6 but with just 4 you are not even gaining enough benefit, that'd leave you with March, March, Madrigal Madrigal, no attack buffs leaves you hurting badly.

I guess my LS will have a full time job on getting those bards their DDB! SP2 is about to be released soon, which means they will be getting one free song every 1 hour, that will help the 3 song DDBs out!

I suppose you don't bother swapping bards during normal NMs either. 4 songs / bard would be so nice.. Such an OP item..