Parrying / Shield Skill Up As THF ?!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Parrying / Shield Skill up as THF ?!
Parrying / Shield Skill up as THF ?!
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2009-07-04 02:58:14  
Currently im 69 THF with 225 Eva 126 Shield and 104 Parrying.
I want to get Parrying to 200+ at least to start with.
I tried everything from Opo Opos in yhoator to Tonberrys. over Sand beetles in Altepa to Helm beetles in Quicksand, to Antican and last to Mandys in Boyhada Tree.Nothing seems to work , I cant get a single Parrying skillups because of the Evasion. All time i have Signet for SuperMopoglePower Martial MAster. i cant get a Single Skillup , so i seek your Help any advice in this?
 Asura.Hiidan
サーバ: Asura
user:
By Asura.Hiidan 2009-07-04 03:11:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

225 isnt even that high EVA... -eva gear and level SAM or NIN. I never stop getting skill ups on either.
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2009-07-04 03:16:29  
I forgot to mention i did beetles becuase of the evasion down thing theyd did hit me then but no skillup either
 Asura.Hiidan
サーバ: Asura
user:
By Asura.Hiidan 2009-07-04 03:37:51
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Parrying doesnt skill up fast to start with. I usually get like .8 a day.
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-04 04:07:16  
This may help
[+]
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2009-07-04 04:40:07  
Argettio said:

thnx it didnt helped no skill ups
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-04 06:26:19  
in 33 minutes you read the guide, swaped jobs, got in the right zone, pulled enough mobs to find out it wasn't an effective method then came back on here to post.

The best rate reported in that link was ~0.4/hr!! Thats only 1 or 2 increase in an hour (longer if you get a 0.5).

this is parrying skillups you are talking about. there are people who have been nin and sam tanking for 4+ years who still dont have it over 200. expect this to take months.
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2009-07-04 06:33:25  
Argettio said:
in 33 minutes you read the guide, swaped jobs, got in the right zone, pulled enough mobs to find out it wasn't an effective method then came back on here to post.

The best rate reported in that link was ~0.4/hr!! Thats only 1 or 2 increase in an hour (longer if you get a 0.5).

this is parrying skillups you are talking about. there are people who have been nin and sam tanking for 4+ years who still dont have it over 200. expect this to take months.

no i allready found the guide before made this thread and tried the sugestions there.. i cant believe this taking so long i leveled EVA and Marksmanship 15 level + hour

i mean if i train over 10 mobs that in skill up range , and they hitting me over 200 times in a minute i expect to get a skillup
 Gilgamesh.Phalon
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: patience
By Gilgamesh.Phalon 2009-07-04 06:59:55  
4 years, 9 jobs and Parry skill is 219. 500+ hours of game time.

THF is my main and I think in all the time I have tanked Gods and other crazy things I probably got maybe a total of 3-4 total parry skill ups as THF. Its the wrong job to skill it with when its that low.

PLD on the other hand I can go out and Solo T monk orcs and I usually get .3 per mob. Thats a 10 minutes per mob.

Parry is one of the slowest things to skill in this game aside from guard.

I dont have SAM leveled past 37, but I have thought of doing just that to skill parry.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-07-04 08:33:18  
You can also pray for "Martial Master" to be one of the 3 special effect randomly picked when the 11 moogle tablets have been found. You will benefit from an increase in the rate of battle skill ups while Signet is active. I heard it works pretty well.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-07-04 09:00:13  
playing for 4+ years having lvd to 75 PLD WAR NIN SAM RDM BLM i have base EVA269 SHIELD276 and lolPARRY226
i sh*t my pants when i see parry go up

but i have to be on SAM or NIN, is capped on PLD WAR RDM BLM

so if im tanking a meripo as SAM/WAR i may get one... maybe

kinda makes me not want to take MNK any higher, guard is eww.
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2009-07-04 09:13:49  
OMG .... i stop trying to skill it.
 Hades.Medjai
サーバ: Hades
user: medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2009-07-04 11:02:55  
heard the chigos in Aydeewa Subterrane have the potential to give you alot of parry skill ups since they attack fast but dont hit extremely hard from what im told
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-04 11:55:25  
Stop rushing this

parry and shield skill ups will take a long time to cap just deal with it >.> lol

you do know it use to be worse for shield <.<

if you want to REALLY cap it lvl pld
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-04 12:00:37  
Heh, parry skill-ups really make no sense compared to all the other skill-ups. Evasion you get skill-ups by NOT evading, and higher skill-ups for higher level mobs. Weapons you get good skill-ups if you can hit mobs higher level than your skill, parrying, you parry a level 90 NM and get ***.

But you guys are making me feel really good about my 180+ parrying skill when I only have one 75 :o
 Ramuh.Spekter
user: spekter
By Ramuh.Spekter 2009-07-04 12:03:54  
nin75 @256 parry for nearly 2 months (dont merrit every day, but pretty often) insane skill to cap. good luck
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 13:18:05  
Blazza said:
Heh, parry skill-ups really make no sense compared to all the other skill-ups. Evasion you get skill-ups by NOT evading, and higher skill-ups for higher level mobs. Weapons you get good skill-ups if you can hit mobs higher level than your skill, parrying, you parry a level 90 NM and get ***.

But you guys are making me feel really good about my 180+ parrying skill when I only have one 75 :o

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

(138 parrying here, or something like that.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-07-04 14:40:54  
Yeah weapons you just gotta hit thats easy. Evasion you just have to have an attack aimed at you hit or miss pretty easy. Parrying/shield they actually gotta activate after evasion check /sigh. As a thf with capped evasion thats nasty. The mobs either too high for you to parry much or too low to evade. I'd suggest using anohter job -evasion gear the ability to tank forever and/or lvl capped areas. Should actually get better once your high enough to actually parry. Bad part about chigs is you have to engage and be facing them... and crit hits kill them instantly. As a thf that'll happen alot lol. Well maybe blind potion...?

Though take comfort in the fact that at least once you lvl it parrying and shield will actually work on higher lvl mobs since there rate seems only affected by skill and maybe agility... well after the things that take precedance like evade don't happen first.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-05 11:48:33  
Actually chigoes are excellent, you have to have your weapon drawn and facing the mob that's attacking you to parry, but you don't have to be engaged on that particular mob. So depending on what level your parrying is, round up three chigoes in the east part of the mire (north and east of peadallah is a good spot) engage the walking tree or a leech from a distance and face all three chigoes. If your parrying is a bit high for those, I think there are some higher level chigoes in aydeewa where you can do the same thing.

Earth staff and -damage gear etc. is always a good choice for this sort of thing, as long as you are /pld /war /mnk or /whm. The reason being, that chigoes beating on you will give you tp pretty fast, and if you start getting low on health you can just use earth crusher to kill all the chigoes and then have a rest. I'd actually suggest /whm for this, as plague often lasts a ridiculously long time and will put you out of action for a while if you need rest.

Also keep in mind that it's impossible (according to Genome's guarding skill-up guide) to completely eliminate damage from chigoe, they appear to have some really weird additional damage built in to their base attack. This means that no matter how high your def and -damage% is, they'll still hit you for ~15 damage each time or something.

Chigoes don't range in level much, but if you can get ~3 of them on you that are the right level for your parrying, it's probably the best skill-ups you'll ever get for parrying.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [500 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2010-11-16 23:48:35  
And now we re 85.

I'm rocking sonewhere between 165-170 parry on 85 THF. I can thank soloing BST for that. It's still gimp, no ***, but I'm working on it while I do magian trials in my downtime. IE, kila evasion path.

My set-up is (only using stats that matter)

2*parrying knife /20 parry
Rogue bonnet / 10 parry
Chiv chain / (waiting on parry torque; don't have Ziel charm)
2*coral earring / -10 evasion
Rap harness / 4% haste
Aurore gloves / 2% haste
2*Woodsman ring / -5~10 evasion (may swap for jelly ring for -5pdt)
Cavalier's mantle / -10 evasion
Swift belt/potent belt / 4% or -5 evasion with 1 tic regen
Assasins culottes +1 / 4% haste
Dusk ledlesens / 2% haste
Tiphia sting / -4 evasion

Parry +30, evasion -30~40, haste 12~16%

I'm hoping this will last me to about 240 skill. From there up, I'll have to start using more of my regular gear.

The wiki guide is extremely outdated. Because I'm doing trials at the same time during weather, I'll be /dnc. /rdm seems like the by far best choice however, but I don't have that leveled. That's next on my list. Most camps listed on there I'm skipping (sky,den of rancor). I'm looking at a few camps in the past such as castle oztrOja (s) on Yagudo monks, and after that, abyssea for the rest.

Abyssea - tahrongi on mandies? Atma of the mounted champion for VIT 50 and regen, and any one solid def. Atma such as Atma of Visitude or Stronghold. Even though I'm about 100 parry skills from even considering this point, it's still worth mentioning for those who are looking at leveling it at a fairly decent rate rather then just a random Skill up here and there during a random party.