Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 105 106 107 ... 130 131 132
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-06-16 18:02:01  
fillerbunny9 said: »
might want to look into Darraigner's Brais, depending on Accuracy needs.

Not a bad idea, and probably viable most of the time given the fairly high Racc from the rest of the set. Enmity-6 is also pretty appealing any time you can't take advantage of Decoy, helps the tank when you get lucky with frequent triple damage crit/double shot Arma procs... Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to dig mine out of the Mog Locker and play around with them!

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
What augments would you need on Herculean Helm in order to use it over Orion +3 for Trueflight?

I don't have my spreadsheet handy at the moment, but I'm sure you could plug it into Verda's most recent one posted in this thread to see with your gear.

One note though: if you're doing something where you are getting a lot of your damage from magical WS/SC, I normally find a second Malevolence as the biggest possible buff to my overall DPS (outdoing the benefit of /WAR or /SAM). Don't even need max augments, even a base Malevolence is pretty beastly.
By fillerbunny9 2017-06-16 18:12:47  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
might want to look into Darraigner's Brais, depending on Accuracy needs.

Not a bad idea, and probably viable most of the time given the fairly high Racc from the rest of the set. Enmity-6 is also pretty appealing any time you can't take advantage of Decoy, helps the tank when you get lucky with frequent triple damage crit/double shot Arma procs... Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to dig mine out of the Mog Locker and play around with them!

let me know how it works out. I am in a similar place, gear-wise except I do not have those because Temperance is a ***. would be helpful to know if I need to put in the effort to farm a pair or if it is just not worth it.
By clearlyamule 2017-06-16 20:44:56  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
ItemSet 348655

Afterglow Annihilator.

Malevolence: INT 10, MAB 10
Samnuha Coat: MAB 14
Herc Legs: MAB 34
Herc Feet: MAB 32, WSD 3%
Cape: AGI 20, MDMG 20, WSD 10%
Well just giving gear kind of leaves a bit up for assumption and adding all the gear is lame especially when my internet is shitty right now and you don't even have all the right gear and the augments listed!!! Hence why wanted totals so... assuming taru rng/rdm for mab and full jp you'd have base 109 agi and 24 mab. Assuming I did my math right that gear not counting head is +148 agi, 204 mab, 13 wsd, 175 mdmg and +.2 Ftp . So grand total of 257 agi, +228 mab, 13 wsd, 175 mdmg and well assume 1k tp value to ftp of ~4.1. Gunna assume mob with neutral dmg no mdb and 150 agi

Doing the math quick so hope it's right with orion +3 the dmg should be about 10,101.

We are going to assume you going for mab and wsd since good luck getting agi too. So it's easier to look at how much mab you'd need for various wsd amounts. With full 5 wsd you'd need at least 16 mab augment. With 4wsd you'd need at least 19. With 3 wsd would need at least 22. With 2 wsd would need 26. With 1 wsd would need 29 and with 0 wsd you'd need 32 mab. That's augment amounts not total on the helm.

Of course all this will vastly change as you change your gear and there are some easy changes to be made no offense. And also some are situational like the fotias become pretty bad at higher tps. And as mentioned above going for trueflight best to dual wield which would shift things a little towards orion. But if you used a non mab sub and still didn't dual wield that would shift things a little towards herc. Note there was small amounts of rounding with ftp so values might off by 1 or 2.

Edit: looks like I forgot Male's magic dmg and off a little on stats so that might make things off by a little but ballpark still close
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-06-17 06:14:28  
Sorry about that, here's the stats. Not going /RDM but I do have access to a second Malevolence. I could change the gorget/belt to Sanctity/Eschan. If there are easy changes I'm all ears

No head piece:
AGI: 272
MAB: 216
MDMG: 293
WSD: 13
By Blazed1979 2017-06-17 07:01:10  
what improvements can i make, assuming i have access to every item in game, but ***luck on augments. Doing SR soon tp get better body.
By fillerbunny9 2017-06-17 13:06:53  
what's the consensus on Oshosi Mask when Double Shot is up? is it really worth the loss of Arcadian Beret +1 for normal rounds/Meghenada Mask +2 for Armageddon AM3?
By Chosenone1 2017-06-19 02:52:31  
Blazed1979 id say you could go "baetyl pendant" for neck and get a herculean body with agi and mab mabe even wsd% although i only have agi+11 and mab+38
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-06-19 08:46:56  
Blazed- esp for Trueflight (but also for JR and Last Stand as they scale with TP), throw something like this in your lua-

To get the most out of your Moonshade (my sets use Moonshade in the ear2 slot for TP scaling WSs). As for increasing it- baetyl pendant is great, and of course the elusive double capped malevolences- the biggest single slot improvement you can make- of course it requires some adjustment for all the racc loss in the weapon/sub slots, but its easily done these days with all the racc we can get.

@Fillerbunny- I believe the mask is one of the stronger pieces of the oshosi set because it actually increases the damage of Doubleshot, not just frequency. The loss of the 50TP from Recycle in my opinion, is workable for this extra damage and frequency- both.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-06-19 09:10:45  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Blazed- esp for Trueflight (but also for JR and Last Stand as they scale with TP), throw something like this in your lua-
Thank you. Been meaning to improve my lua. Highly appreciated.
I have a ridiculous theory with regards to getting Ingrid to pop in SR.. its worked, as much as 5 times in a row to the point where the other people (who didn't want Ingrid drops) told me to stop it.

The mockery will come, and I bet someone disproves it, but its my lucky charm: Equip a Great sword before entering SR lol.. it works i swear.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-06-19 19:36:42  
If that worked, all my RUN tanking of SR in the past months wouldve shown results, instead of being stuck with piss poor augments for 6 months! ^^
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-06-19 20:06:24  
Well I was war. I don't have an a geared RUN.
[+]
By Skies 2017-06-30 12:28:42  
Blazed1979 said: »
The mockery will come, and I bet someone disproves it, but its my lucky charm: Equip a Great sword before entering SR lol.. it works i swear.

Was doing SR today after Samnuha Tights, did about 7 runs on WAR. Realized after reading your post that Ingrid was first pop on every single run...

Think there might be more to this.
By Blazed1979 2017-06-30 12:39:58  
I told you guys!
 Asura.Gotenn
サーバ: Asura
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2017-06-30 12:57:41  
So then the question becomes, how to you force Teodor and Arciela II?
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-06-30 13:11:26  
experiment with different types of weapons. As DRK I always got the cat as first pop.
By Dukie585 2017-07-13 20:51:40  
Completely new to Ranger so looking for some input.

High level I was thinking R.Atk & R.Acc, and then +Str for auto attacks, and +Agi for WS (I thought RA WS's has a huge Agi modifier?) .... but based off of what I'm reading here I'm totally off with the WS assumption.

So Rng WS's are based off of int/MAB? Or just the relic gun WS? I'm going to start working on that gun once I hit 99 in the next few days. Until then, what's a good set to aspire to for a "Just hit 99 set"... outside of the sparks gear that I've already purchased.

Are guns the go to weapon? I've spent my whole leveling experience with a bow so I'm going to have to go and level that up.

Thanks for any help / tips!
By clearlyamule 2017-07-13 21:35:57  
Str isn't really a go to stat on ranged attacks. Usually more crit or stp stuff. Each ws is different but yes magical ws use mab. None of them use int though. And no relic gun ws isn't magical

Simple easy to get sets that are good I'd say are the ambuscade ones. They offer rather large amounts of base stats and racc/ratt as well as some other relevant stats.
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-13 21:55:08  
AGI is to Ranged Attack what DEX is to Melee Attack. it affects your crit rate as well as accuracy.

Last Stand is stacking AGI, Coronach is AGI/DEX; both benefit from STR but it is not their WS mod so it's a lower priorty. Trueflight and Wildfire are AGI/MAB. additionally, +WS DMG is generally going to be your best "additional stat" available on gear after all of those.

gearing RNG is going to take a while, you can start with Meghenada +1/+2 from Ambuscade, as it is a fantastic starter set offering a lot of R.Acc/R.Att. you need to get your Snapshot set together, Abjuration gear as well multiple Herculean pieces; you also want your Relic hat to 119. on top of all that, you'll want a mid-shot set and a weaponskill set for Last Stand. from there, you'll want to branch out to a Trueflight set and accuracy/Barrage/Double Shot swaps.

Guns are generally the go-to because of how strong Last Stand is, particularly with Fomalhaut.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-14 01:07:07  
Guns are generally the go-to because of how strong Last Stand is, particularly with Fomalhaut.

Guns are also used because they have kick *** magical WS - while, yes, also retaining a good physical WS option in Last Stand. If you have a fairly good MAB/WSD set, Trueflight is probably going to be your best WS option in many situations for any non-Fomalhaut RNG (and often even if you do have Fomalhaut), assuming the mob isn't highly resistant to magic/light. Wildfire is a nice option as well, no slouch on damage and extremely similar gear to Trueflight, and adds a strong Darkness SC option to go with the Light-side Trueflight/Last Stand.

For maximum RNG physical damage though, Gandiva JR spam is where it's at. I'm kinda jealous of my LS-mate who just finished his, but I take solace in my Armageddon being a good all-arounder for any situation. Gandiva is more of a one-trick pony, physical damage monster but more limited on SCs and lacking magical WS.

For non-RMEA options, pretty much the same thought process for gun vs. bow when using the better non-RMEA weapons (like Reisenjima T2 gun/bow, or SR bow).

clearlyamule said: »
Simple easy to get sets that are good I'd say are the ambuscade ones. They offer rather large amounts of base stats and racc/ratt as well as some other relevant stats.

Yeah, RNG got fairly lucky in having pretty accessible options that don't rely too much on extreme augment luck. Meghanada set is pretty darn good across the board (head and body are the standouts for shooting, as well as feet being an easy and excellent Snapshot piece). AF119 +2/+3 set is also pretty good (especially Body, and high Racc sets in general). Oshosi feet are a very good easily obtained choice too if you have 500JP+.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-07-14 02:09:40  
I don't see Ranger as a go to job for high DPS. Nearly every other DPS job will put it to shame. If I want high DPS I'll play some other job. I see it as a tactical choice for when you don't want to be near the mob and don't want to pull hate either (defeats the purpose.) It's like the Black Mage of melee.

In regards to weapon recommendations, I would say get Annihilator first. Last Stand is great for DPS but you are going to pull hate with it most situations where you want to be using physical WS. Coronach is much more useful.

For clearing trash mobs and some niche boss fights, you will also want Trueflight. For the boss fights, I still prefer Annihilator. AM3 (-25), Animus Minuo(-10), merits(-5), Herculean Trousers(-4) and Novia Earring (-7) put you at enmity -51. That is much more useful than the extra damage provided from Fomalhaut or Gastraphetes in those boss fights (Kei or whatever) where pulling hate is a big issue. You can also use Orion Beret +3 (-7) if you don't want to use Novia Earring.

For trash mobs, Fomalhaut and Gastraphetes are both good. When I use Ranger in Omen, I can one shot mobs with Trueflight using Fomalhaut (you can do the same with Gastraphetes too.) Double Shot -> Trueflight -> next mob. It's way better than Last Stand or any other weaponskill for that application.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-07-14 03:13:09  
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
I don't see Ranger as a go to job for high DPS. Nearly every other DPS job will put it to shame. If I want high DPS I'll play some other job. I see it as a tactical choice for when you don't want to be near the mob and don't want to pull hate either (defeats the purpose.) It's like the Black Mage of melee.

In regards to weapon recommendations, I would say get Annihilator first. Last Stand is great for DPS but you are going to pull hate with it most situations where you want to be using physical WS. Coronach is much more useful.

For clearing trash mobs and some niche boss fights, you will also want Trueflight. For the boss fights, I still prefer Annihilator. AM3 (-25), Animus Minuo(-10), merits(-5), Herculean Trousers(-4) and Novia Earring (-7) put you at enmity -51. That is much more useful than the extra damage provided from Fomalhaut or Gastraphetes in those boss fights (Kei or whatever) where pulling hate is a big issue. You can also use Orion Beret +3 (-7) if you don't want to use Novia Earring.

For trash mobs, Fomalhaut and Gastraphetes are both good. When I use Ranger in Omen, I can one shot mobs with Trueflight using Fomalhaut (you can do the same with Gastraphetes too.) Double Shot -> Trueflight -> next mob. It's way better than Last Stand or any other weaponskill for that application.

There's so much here that I agree with....except for your analysis of the Annihilator. Its a solid weapon, but it's never going to be the best choice outside of Master Trials. The -emnity argument is huge, yes, and I love having a powerful Darkness Skillchain option over Wildfire, but a few things I've found in my usage of Annihilator vs. other REMA options (own AG Annihilator, AG Gastraphetes, Fomalhaut, Fail-not)-

1.AG Annihilator really shines once you start using Chrono Bullets with it...meaning you're sitting on a Fomalhaut.

2.Hate riding is managable with stronger options. It sometimes requires re-training tanks to take advantage of Decoy Shot, since RNG strats aren't as vogue as they were a few years ago, and unless you tank, having -emnity merits really don't hurt anything. I always use my Gastra on Kei when I RNG it, and have a RUN tank vs. PLD (personal experience has shown a PLD spikes easier, and can get hate back faster) any maybe pull hate once per fight if I get lazy and don't pay attention.

3.Last Stand, especially with the Light property given to it by Fomalhaut, plays better with others than Coronach. Again, I love having a Darkness option with some power, but when it comes to working with Resolution, Chant du Cygne (two of the most popular WSs today across several jobs)....Foma's Last Stand definitely plays better.

4.Annihilator's delay is 582, not 600. This isn't a huge deal, but it does mean more STP needed in your sets than a typical 600 delay gun(most common delay for a gun in the game). And while we're talking STP, let's not forget the 10STP on Fomalhaut, making x-Hit builds even easier.

Again- the post I quoted is 100% right. Its just a matter of opinion as to what RMEA you want to make first. But I really do believe that for a first RMEA....Fomalhaut if you can, Armageddon if you can't. They're probably you're strongest All-around weapons.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-07-14 08:55:18  
I lean towards Mojo's take. Anni was my first RNG R/E/M and continues to be my favorite for the very reasons he mentioned. When I got access to Aeonic bullets, it was like a second honeymoon.
The hate mechanics aren't to be underestimated at all.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-07-14 10:47:20  
Should be noted that while it's not as good as coronach magical ws by themselves inherently give much less hate than physical ws since they ignore all the multipliers or dstat for the dmg they use.

So numbers are a little shaky since they were changed awhile back and only was some limited retesting on but based on that and old stuff a 1.25k TF on a lvl 139 mob with 119 weapon and 300 agi should be 947 CE while WF should be about 720. So depending on the comparative dmg being dealt might not be that far off from coro
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-14 14:19:53  
if nothing else, the old adage regarding FFXI remains constant: ***'s situational.

also, with notes to Wildfire and enmity, it has a native enmity reduction that varies with TP (while damage sadly remains consistent across the board). Armageddon/Fomalhaut also double as a useful weapon for Corsair, which can gear itself to put out respectable damage while also being a desired buff slot.

my LS has a small army of Fomalhaut holders, so we've done some silly stuff with multi-stepping Light/Radiance and then magic bursting for Omen bosses, Last Stand spam for Vinipata, etc. when fully buffed, RNG can pretty strongly weaponskill after a single attack round courtesy of Double Shot and appropriate gear, so RNG zerg can still be a thing. I'm just happy it's part of the "accepted" meta these days for a variety of fights, because I definitely let it languor after DM II fell out of rotation.
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-07-15 01:31:09  
There's so much here that I agree with....except for your analysis of the Annihilator. Its a solid weapon, but it's never going to be the best choice outside of Master Trials. The -emnity argument is huge, yes, and I love having a powerful Darkness Skillchain option over Wildfire, but a few things I've found in my usage of Annihilator vs. other REMA options (own AG Annihilator, AG Gastraphetes, Fomalhaut, Fail-not)-

1.AG Annihilator really shines once you start using Chrono Bullets with it...meaning you're sitting on a Fomalhaut.

2.Hate riding is managable with stronger options. It sometimes requires re-training tanks to take advantage of Decoy Shot, since RNG strats aren't as vogue as they were a few years ago, and unless you tank, having -emnity merits really don't hurt anything. I always use my Gastra on Kei when I RNG it, and have a RUN tank vs. PLD (personal experience has shown a PLD spikes easier, and can get hate back faster) any maybe pull hate once per fight if I get lazy and don't pay attention.

3.Last Stand, especially with the Light property given to it by Fomalhaut, plays better with others than Coronach. Again, I love having a Darkness option with some power, but when it comes to working with Resolution, Chant du Cygne (two of the most popular WSs today across several jobs)....Foma's Last Stand definitely plays better.

4.Annihilator's delay is 582, not 600. This isn't a huge deal, but it does mean more STP needed in your sets than a typical 600 delay gun(most common delay for a gun in the game). And while we're talking STP, let's not forget the 10STP on Fomalhaut, making x-Hit builds even easier.

Again- the post I quoted is 100% right. Its just a matter of opinion as to what RMEA you want to make first. But I really do believe that for a first RMEA....Fomalhaut if you can, Armageddon if you can't. They're probably you're strongest All-around weapons.

Nobody is going to try and argue that Annihilator is best DPS. It's the hate issue. If you're using gearswap extensions that help you play at 95%+ efficiency (you won't achieve that level of performance manually), you are going to pull hate with Last Stand in almost any situation. It is unavoidable and completely defeats the point of playing Ranger. I have yet to have a single experience where I didn't pull hate after starting to use Last Stand (even with 3 Rangers using Decoy Shot.)

Coronach with enmity -50 is 120/40 VE/CE.
[+]
 Bismarck.Cladbolg
サーバ: Bismarck
user: cladbolg
By Bismarck.Cladbolg 2017-07-22 02:49:46  
Hi guys sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I am a returning player, used to play RNG back in the day when E.bow used to be king. Still my favorite job and was looking for advice on gear. The main page of this guide has outdated gear from pre ilvl era. If you could point me towards some starter sets, and sets that are best in slot to aim for I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2017-07-22 10:44:24  
Unfortunately, the sets in the first post aren't updated like some other jobs. Maybe one day someone will get around to doing one of those pages again.

But... If you search this thread for the set you're looking for there are fairly updated sets people have posted over the past few months that should give you an idea to shoot for.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-22 19:13:11  
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
Nobody is going to try and argue that Annihilator is best DPS. It's the hate issue. If you're using gearswap extensions that help you play at 95%+ efficiency (you won't achieve that level of performance manually), you are going to pull hate with Last Stand in almost any situation. It is unavoidable and completely defeats the point of playing Ranger. I have yet to have a single experience where I didn't pull hate after starting to use Last Stand (even with 3 Rangers using Decoy Shot.)

Coronach with enmity -50 is 120/40 VE/CE.

Last Stand spam pulling hate is more of an argument for using Arma or Gastra over Fomalhaut than it is a good argument for using Anni. Arma/Gastra give you the ability to do better with Trueflight and Wildfire, which should not present a major enmity issue and will do more damage than Anni.

Plus, Anna AM3 with Decoy helps a ton planting hate on the tank.

I think the Annihilator recommendations are more due to people comparing to a riskier strategy of Fomal LS spam and - shocker - pulling hate. Outside of pre-ilevel zones and their different enmity mechanics, there shouldn't be a reason Anni/Coronach are necessary in ilevel content to prevent hate issues.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-22 19:33:28  
armageddon is garbage, there's no need for it and the situations where you will be using it you're worse off than gastra or fom

make annihilator period, if you can make fomalhaut do so, gastra is mostly a niche weapon but excels when it's needed, the rest are entirely pointless

going to have to side with snaps here, my pld run and rngs all have perfect gear, and if you use a packet based addon to keep your shots queueing effectively there's absolutely no way your tank will be holding hate because you'll be at hate cap extremely quickly.. (as a side note, RUN has better hate tools than PLD, it's very easily quantifiable, and that throws your credibility into question pretty quickly)

let me just add that the amount of circle jerking over trueflight is ridiculous, unless you have a group built around it it's probably not going to beat coronach, much less last stand.. and the times it does win it's not by colossal amounts

trueflight excels at closing skillchains with high TP and one shotting garbage mobs, it's not the end-all option for straight DPS and demanding malaise in an otherwise physical group is laughable
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-22 19:48:39  
That's BS, you don't need Malaise for TF to pull off better overall DPS whether using Gastra (with TF bonus) or Arma (with added DPS from far stronger /ra).

If Last Stand is not viable regardless of tank due to enmity mechanics, then don't use Last Stand (and by extension, prob not best to use Fomalhaut). Either Gastra or Arma should be able to easily beat Annihilator damage, without significant enmity issues.

In a situation where Last Stand spam is fine, Fomal still works great.

Anni being truly important for enmity control should really only be a thing in pre-ilevel zones. As in, rather niche uses.
First Page 2 3 ... 105 106 107 ... 130 131 132