New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » New Soothsayer Staff
New Soothsayer Staff
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2013-05-10 17:17:22  
What are some opionions on the new Delve Weapon Soothsayer Staff?
I see some posts that say that fully upgraded ToM staves still ebat it etc. Through testing of a rank 6 soothsayer staff vs my ToM staves, I am seeing that the rnk 6 is doing a consistent 9.2-9.3% more powerful nuke than the ToM. The test sample were the mandies in buboorimbu, all nukes were done with only staff equipped. I did tier 1 -5 and the 9.2-9.3% increase was dead on throughout the range. I also went and tried in abbyssea but the damage ahd a bit more variation. The rank 6 soothsayer for somparison is at an extra 8 mab and 5 int 1 mnd. making the totals on the staff 15 int 1 mnd 15 mag acc and 60 mab. Thankyou for any input the community may have.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-05-10 18:01:24  
inferior to skirmish staff
[+]
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2013-05-10 18:07:56  
Yeah so fully capped out skirmish can be 70 MAB and 18 INT correct? Or has a better augment than that been found. From personally tryign toa ugment other weapons I've found that the variance is great. Sometimes it will be 1 dmg sometimes it will be +5 dmg and 4 str etc etc. That being said I would rather have a perfect augment skirmish staff but its probably nigh impossible.
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-10 21:42:06  
You said you did better when naked.

A ToM staff is multiplied with D(int in there) and MAB. So the more of both you have on, the better the ToM compared to added int and MAB.

Try the test again fully geared.your results should be quite different.

On skirmish staff, at is the highest I have seen a report of, and more than likely quite rare augment.
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2013-05-10 22:25:28  
Yeah tested on the acuex in Cirdas and was pretty much dead even with the ToM. I see that this fully upgraded will probably be like gettign all the ToM staves. Just an inventory saver. Hopefully there will be more than 15 ranks at a certain point.
 Sylph.Traxus
サーバ: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-05-10 22:51:44  
Well if they make emp ws unlockable, being able to do everything with the same staff could be useful to keep tp for myrkr. The new gloves make it easy to cap cure potency without using the weapon slot too.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-06-19 08:43:31  
the less int or and mab you have the less effetive is its to multiply it with the ToM affinity boost.

so basically the worse gear you have the less effective tom staff becomes.

if you get soothsayer staff to be better. it means your other gear is inferior.

very simple explanation
int effect * mab effect * affinity effect

lets say youi have 10 in and 10 mab effect as base and can select between +5 int/mab effect or the 1.35 boost from the ToM staff

sucke gear+ tom 10 * 10 * 1.35 = 110
suckey gear 6 soothsayer 15 * 15 * = = 225

good gear + tom 100*100* 1.35 = 13,500
good gear + soothsayer 105*105 = 11025

its really basic school math to know that stacking higher on one factor increases the effect of other factors,

going naked you decreased all other factors than the affinity reducing the affinity's effect severely.

-- edit --
Necro bump... it was on the last of recently updated threads...
[+]
By Pantafernando 2013-06-19 08:51:57  
Yeah, sorry. I deleted the post because i figured that.
But thanks for all your support
 Shiva.Gib
サーバ: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2013-06-19 09:08:06  
Moral of the story, don't be lazy, just do the ToM staffs :P
By Pantafernando 2013-06-19 09:17:41  
Yeah i will.
(Though doing a soothsayer staff demand way more effort than a ToM staffs. Just dont want to spend time in one then redo the effort in the next just trash my previous... )
Suppose if you wear endgame blm armor, ToM will be better than delve staff.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-06-19 11:45:34  
Okay, so wait, is this saying that Perfect Skirmish Staff > ToM > Delve staff? Or was Proth being sarcastic? I'm confused.
By Pantafernando 2013-06-19 16:12:10  
I suppose he compared the max upgraded skirmish staff (mab 67 and int 12) with the delves one. But as soothsayer can be upgraded with airlixir i think, so it can reach mab 65 but int 20.
But if you have higher base stats, adding more wont grant great percentual improvement. In this case mag +6 from tom staff is a constant multiplier, so it can grant better dmg. The rule should be: multiply your base mab with 0,35 (or 30, dont remember). If that number is lower than the +mab from staff, use the mab staff. If this number is higher than the +mab, use elemental staff.
Please correct me if im talking trash ( didnt consider the int, should have i think...)
By Sageth 2013-06-29 10:22:35  
To begin, let’s start with the damage formula (D) for a nuke:

\[D=k(1+\frac{M}{100})[B+\lambda(I_Y-I_M)]\]

The equation above has a several variables, so I’ll briefly explain each component.

k is the product of all the modifiers you get from elemental staves, day of the week, weather, magic burst, and type of mob.
M refers to your total Magic Attack Bonus from both Job traits and equipment.
B is the spell’s base damage, which can be looked up elsewhere.
λ is the nuke’s tier-modifier, again, further details can be found elsewhere.
I refers to total Intelligence (again, base INT and gear)- the subscript Y or M tells you whose INT the equation is referring to- You, or the Mob.

For more information, you can look at its FFXIclopedia entry here.

MAB is divided by 100 and added to 1 to signify that MAB is a percentage bonus. If you have a total of 32 Magic Attack Bonus, then your MAB multiplier is 1.32.

No, the Soothslayer staff is supposed to be better fully upgraded, also they are changing calculations on MAB next week.
By Chimerawizard 2013-06-29 12:23:27  
...Sageth.
that dmg formula uses ... none of the same variable terms either wiki has.
Final Damage =[V+M x['playerINT'-'enemyINT']] x['multiple target reduction'] x[S] x[Affinity] x['species element DT'] x['Skillchain'] x[Magic Burst Bonus] x[Day|Weather] x[MAB/MdB] x[MDT] x[resist?] x[other]

V=constant specific to each spell
M=multiplier specific to each spell, it also varies based on the difference in player INT vs. enemy's INT.
S=Staff, this is only for level 51 staves. ToM staves do not use this term.
Skillchain=they use Magic Burst in the wiki, but since this only varies by the number of skillchains chained together, it's probably better to call it skillchain. (also, magic burst equipment doesn't effect this)
other=things like Goetia set bonus/ebullience/klimaform bonus/anything I missed.
'x' each time this is reached, after multiplying drop the remainder. [1.999 >> 1; 2.0001 >> 2]

For the formula that will be obsolete in a week: BGwiki or oldWIKI.
for the new one, use Motenten's Calculator.
oh yeah, he added the old formula to it as well. use his for everything. xD
if you don't see an item, just add it to the list. it's stupid easy to use.
By Sageth 2013-06-29 13:04:02  
ToM staff multiplier is .35. OK I did the Math with ToM and Sooth at 100MAB on gear (im sure people have more) also including JT =http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Attack_Bonus JT= 40 I also did Sooth at max 65MAB(capped)

ToM = 3.24

Sooth = 3.05

ToM I did ((140/100)+1)*.35 >Gear 100 JT 40

Sooth I did ((205/100)+1 Gear 100 JT 40 Staff 65

ATM ToM is better but we'll see after next week
 Ragnarok.Bepe
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2013-06-30 02:34:13  
Back to Proth's question at the top of this page, has the max augments for the skirmish staff been pinpointed? Considering that we soon will be able to make the skirmish staff into a +1 version, and then augment it, can we assume that it destroys everything >.>
By Sageth 2013-06-30 04:00:14  
Ok lets say new skirmish staff is 80 mab and your gear is 100.

(220/100)+1 = 3.20 so it would still be less than ToM staff but if the staff had 90 or more mab then it would be better than ToM.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-06-30 04:32:40  
The skirmish or sooths does save you on inv space to be fair. And due to the int it does help if you use it with other jobs like sch.
By Sageth 2013-06-30 06:34:52  
Well for sch you have way more variables because of weather spells and kilaform + elemental DoT's. The DoT's are MAB based but also macc based. INT is a whole different calculation because it adds to macc, mab, and magic crit% based on mobs mind. I dont know much about magic crit if the DoT's can magic crit or not, but I would do this. If you have 60MAB in gear the delve or skirmish staff would be best if your stacking up int or MP for gear. The delve or skirmish staff is better than Chatoyant Staff but not by much (between 5-10MAB doing math in head @ 60MAB in gear), but the chatoyant gives more macc - a lot more. Basically find whats best for you. I have 104MAB in gear on blm so ToM works best for me - for now.
By Chimerawizard 2013-07-01 06:55:01  
Sageth said: »
INT is a whole different calculation because it adds to macc, mab, and magic crit% based on mobs mind.
I didn't know this. If I may be so bold, could you link your source?

OR are you just speaking about how a 50 dINT nuke w/ crit for 150 dmg & 55dINT nuke w/ crit for 156 dmg the change in dINT makes m.crit more favorable?
(I still think m.crit is a useless stat: MAB=100+'MAB from traits'+'MAB from gear'+'MAB from m.crit (default 10)')
 Fenrir.Genesi
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Genesi 2013-07-01 11:38:26  
Chimerawizard said: »
Sageth said: »
INT is a whole different calculation because it adds to macc, mab, and magic crit% based on mobs mind.
I didn't know this. If I may be so bold, could you link your source?

OR are you just speaking about how a 50 dINT nuke w/ crit for 150 dmg & 55dINT nuke w/ crit for 156 dmg the change in dINT makes m.crit more favorable?
(I still think m.crit is a useless stat: MAB=100+'MAB from traits'+'MAB from gear'+'MAB from m.crit (default 10)')

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the general appeal of M.Crit is the fact that it delivers a 100% unresistant nuke. Or am I blatantly mistaken and it doesn't guarantee nonresistance?
 Ragnarok.Garota
user: Garota
By Ragnarok.Garota 2013-07-01 12:05:34  
Everyone's arguing about and comparing Soothsayer with Magian Staves and I'm just sitting here thinking, "Who even plays BLM to nuke anymore other than proc magic in Abyssea and Voidwatch?"
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-07-01 12:24:27  
Soothsayer>Chatoyant for landing debuffs though. Put one rank in Soothsayer and it's +21 m.acc which is 6 more than chatoyant's 2 affinity(15 macc). If +6 affinity is really +35macc like bgwiki says, upgraded soothsayer should be similar(although no recast bonus). Fully upgraded soothsayer is 10MND 10INT and 30 m.acc., the int/mnd give +5.
By Chimerawizard 2013-07-01 12:34:45  
Ragnarok.Garota said: »
Everyone's arguing about and comparing Soothsayer with Magian Staves and I'm just sitting here thinking, "Who even plays BLM to nuke anymore other than proc magic in Abyssea and Voidwatch?"
To build azure lights in abyssea ofc.
[+]
 Phoenix.Aerolite
user: Daily
By Phoenix.Aerolite 2013-07-01 13:09:01  
Ophannus said: »
Soothsayer>Chatoyant for landing debuffs though. Put one rank in Soothsayer and it's +21 m.acc which is 6 more than chatoyant's 2 affinity(15 macc). If +6 affinity is really +35macc like bgwiki says, upgraded soothsayer should be similar(although no recast bonus). Fully upgraded soothsayer is 10MND 10INT and 30 m.acc., the int/mnd give +5.
I think BGwiki has the wrong m.acc values on the magic affinity page. It doesn't make sense because it says that 2 Affinity is only +15 m.acc, but people have known that the HQ lvl 51 staves give +30 m.acc for the longest time.
By Ophannus 2013-07-01 13:22:26  
How positive are they? People have been known to be wrong for years i.e Blue Physical Merits adding attack and not accuracy etc. BG's values seem more realistic. +30 m.acc for a level 51 staff considering higher level staves don't even come anywhere near that. I wonder... +70 m.acc would be a lot considering even mage mythics99 don't grant that much.
 Phoenix.Aerolite
user: Daily
By Phoenix.Aerolite 2013-07-01 13:33:16  
Between JP wiki and this blog here and the absolute lack of proof shown for BGwiki's values, I think it's pretty safe to say that we haven't been wrong for the past 5+ years.

And as to your comment about how "higher level staves don't even come anywhere near that," the same can be said about the magic damage that chatoyant/level 51 staves provide.
By Sageth 2013-07-02 13:08:25  
ok for Macc the Chat staf gives 15% or .15 and the ToM staf gives 10% or .10 but the ToM staff gives 35% more dmg where the chat staff only gives 15% dmg...also if you want a reason for lots o MAB a good spell for that is Meteor because it is non-elemental no staff works,so delve-skirmish staff would be best for meteor. Everything else ToM for max dmg but not max Macc.