New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Slug Shot vs. Detonator - old arguement
Slug Shot vs. Detonator - old arguement
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-04-04 18:35:37  
Was talking to a fellow COR in my LS. We were kinda talking how back in the day, a COR would be doing 3-4 rolls at a time, running back and forth, pulling and Slug Shoting Colibri, and what not.

She stopped me and it became a debate about which WS was better, 6 years ago lol. Particularly with a Martial Gun.

For me, I had Joyeuse in one hand, Martial Gun to shoot with and shooting Slug Shot at 100% tp with it.

She argues that Detonator was the superior weaponskill between the two.

Even today, when procing in VW or playing around... I've yet to see a time when Detonator pulls ahead of Slug Shot, unless the arguement is that Slug Shot is more likely to miss.

Am I missing something? I mean, both WS's have limited use anymore anyhow, but I can't ever recall Detonator doing more damage.
 Bismarck.Diablosword
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2013-04-04 18:53:44  
Slug shot or bust.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2013-04-04 18:55:02  
 Phoenix.Dramatica
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-04-04 18:55:45  
Detonator was just used if you didn't have enough accuracy for slug shot. Happened fairly often on targets higher level than exp mobs iirc.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-04-04 18:57:00  
Carbuncle.Darktrance said: »
Was talking to a fellow COR in my LS. We were kinda talking how back in the day, a COR would be doing 3-4 rolls at a time, running back and forth, pulling and Slug Shoting Colibri, and what not.

She stopped me and it became a debate about which WS was better, 6 years ago lol. Particularly with a Martial Gun.

For me, I had Joyeuse in one hand, Martial Gun to shoot with and shooting Slug Shot at 100% tp with it.

She argues that Detonator was the superior weaponskill between the two.

Even today, when procing in VW or playing around... I've yet to see a time when Detonator pulls ahead of Slug Shot, unless the arguement is that Slug Shot is more likely to miss.

Am I missing something? I mean, both WS's have limited use anymore anyhow, but I can't ever recall Detonator doing more damage.

Depends on the gun you were using at the time. Slugshot if you used Coffinmaker, Detonator if you used Martial Gun. The main benefit of Detonator is it didnt require so much racc in the WS set. EDIT: So you could easily Cor/war with martial but I remember having to do Cor/rng with coffin.

Also King's Justice <> Detonator = Light, if I remember right, which was sweet at the bird camps.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-04-04 19:17:21  
♥ Slug Shot = less Accuracy (Delivers an inaccurate attack that deals quintuple damage. Accuracy varies with TP.)

♥ Detonator = more Accuracy (Delivers a single-hit attack. Damage varies with TP)

on COR I would say Hunter's Roll before u Slug Shot if u got trouble hitting enemy

on RNG doesn't matter cuz RNG rocks on R.ACC+

Detonator does almost 100% hit (in my experience)"
Slug Shot Misses 70% of the time (on COR) and 30% (on RNG)

if u looking for DMG Slug , if u looking to do ok DMG and not miss Detonator
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2013-04-04 19:51:46  
Even today, I STILL occasionally run into this being a practical question when there's a VW Marksmanship proc. On tougher mobs, even with lv99 skill and good RAcc you will stil whiff Slugs now and then.

My rule of thumb = if I used a Dusty Wing and have 300tp (i.e. get the full Accuracy bonus to Slug), I'll go ahead and use Slug. If I don't have a wing and got to ~100tp through regain/TP/QD, I'll try Detonator first.

In 75cap world:
It really depended on target and gear. If you were fighting stuff that was more evasive (say, Mamool Ja or some NMs) or you didn't quite have the gear to pull it off, the far more consistent hit rate of Detonator over time could beat the bigger individual WS numbers of Slug when you factor in the amount of completely missed WS.

As for 75cap guns:
1) Martial all the way for Slug, that 100tp bonus REALLY helped. TP Bonus made more of an impact on WS accuracy than the extra R.Acc stat on Coffinmaker. Especially for a job like COR that could have its damage heavily weighted toward WS>TP (i.e. Mercurial Kris or Joyeuse melee for low DoT but frequent WS), it's important to make those WS count.

2) Coffinmaker was a ranged TP gun if you found yourself in a situation where you had to shoot for your TP (say, a mob with nasty AoE attacks). Less misses in the TP phase, and solid DMG/RAcc when it came time to WS.

3) Corsair's Gun/+1 rounded out the 'holy trinity' of COR guns most CORs had in their mog sack at 75cap. Used when you wanted to focus on Quick Draw, since it had highest base damage. Generally best to use Detonator if you were using ranged WS with this gun, since the loss of both TP Bonus and R.Acc made Slug a more shaky proposition.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-04-04 23:44:09  
I think we were making different points at the time and too stubborn to follow the others.

Anyhow, back in the day I was a Joy-Cor, and can't recall a time, ever where Detonator did more damage.

The arguement they were making was that you could have sacrificed racc gear for rattk/str gear and made Detonator better... though in terms of raw damage, even then Slug comes on top.

Considering they have similar modifiers, but Slug is innately more damaging, I don't think it's possible to do more damage with Detonator in a scenario where both weaponskills connect. (not talking, parsing and including missed WS's, or skillchains)

If i recall, that's true with alot of quested WS's, they tend to be skillchain friendlier, but weren't always the go-to WS back in the day.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-05 00:15:10  
Carbuncle.Darktrance said: »
I think we were making different points at the time and too stubborn to follow the others.

Anyhow, back in the day I was a Joy-Cor, and can't recall a time, ever where Detonator did more damage.

The arguement they were making was that you could have sacrificed racc gear for rattk/str gear and made Detonator better... though in terms of raw damage, even then Slug comes on top.

Considering they have similar modifiers, but Slug is innately more damaging, I don't think it's possible to do more damage with Detonator in a scenario where both weaponskills connect. (not talking, parsing and including missed WS's, or skillchains)

If i recall, that's true with alot of quested WS's, they tend to be skillchain friendlier, but weren't always the go-to WS back in the day.

Kasha, I think might have been the only real sick one. I used that CONSTANTLY for it's good dmg and para. But you're on-point about Slug. If it lands, there is no way it's doing less than Detonator (by a large margin).
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2013-04-05 01:37:41  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
But you're on-point about Slug. If it lands, there is no way it's doing less than Detonator (by a large margin).

Absolutely.

The real question was always whether Slug missed frequently enough to allow Detonator (which wasn't a slouch itself, even if it couldn't compete with Slug's high numbers) to be the better choice over time despite being weaker on an individual basis compared to a Slug that actually landed.

Example with numbers I'm completely pulling out of thin air, suppose:

Detonator hit rate: 90%
Detonator average damage: 800
Total damage over 100 WS attempts: 72,000
Average damage per WS over 100 WS attempts: 720

Slug hit rate: 70%
Slug average damage: 1000
Total damage over 100 WS attempts: 70,000
Average damage per WS over 100 WS attempts: 700 avg per WS

Supposing your average damage/hit rate was as shown above, you can see that even though a landed Slug is clearly stronger than a landed Detonator, Det comes out ahead averaged over time. It's basically the same reason you'd use Brutal Earring on a melee over an attack earring (assuming uncapped attack, attack gives stronger damage on any given hit, but the DA on Brutal results in more frequent hits over time to the point that it comes out ahead as an average over many attack rounds).
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-05 01:39:02  
Detonator should be at acc cap (95). Idk about slug's hit rate (you did say you pulled it out of thin air though...so yeah), but 200 tp gained quite a huge acc margin, and I think gorgets weren't half bad for it, for the acc bonus as well. Honestly, I haven't seen slug miss THAT often on cor. Mind you when I was leveling cor I ate a lot of sushi lol.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-04-05 01:42:24  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
I haven't seen slug miss THAT often on cor. Mind you when I was leveling cor I ate a lot of sushi lol.

I have missed more Slug's on Ig'Alima than Wroth Scythes dropping >.>
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-05 01:50:39  
I seem to remember pretty equal dmg with the two tbh(1-1.2k), unless mobs had angon etc (Hi, 2k+ slugs on wivres!) as far as colibri parties go.
I used Detonator quite a bit simply because it skillchained well with Kasha and King's justice D:
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-05 04:33:34  
Detonator was only to make Light skillchain(worth it if you could) or if you forgot to bring sushi.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-04-05 06:40:27  
On paper Slug shot has higher dmg even if Detonator at 300 TP

Detonator:

AGI:30%

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
1.50 2.00 2.50

Slug shot:

AGI:30%

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
5.00 5.00 5.00

Slug shot has -40 racc penalty at 100 TP, at 200 TP seems to have 0 racc penalty(some say at 200 TP it has -20 racc penalty)

If you're using a martial gun, I only see slug shot pulls ahead if 200 TP is 0 racc penalty.

But according to one of the allakhazam discussion
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=261&mid=1218478931310515023&h=50

Quote:

if you had paid any attention to the RNG boards on ANY forum over the last year or so, you'd know that Detonator/Empyreal Arrow either ignore a large amount of the mob's defense or has a large attack bonus (which it is doesn't matter, the end result is the same) The result is they now outdamage Slugshot/Sidewinder at 300% on high level mobs, even though the multipliers have actually been REDUCED from what they were.

I rarely do high lv mobs at 75 cap, so I have little experience with Detonator on high lv high def mobs. But I do remember slug shot was a lot weaker on old Nyzul bosses compare with trash mobs. I'm pretty sure in merit pt *** shot was superior with martial gun unless you want to SC(but ppl really do SC in merit pt? lol), on higher lv NM I'm not so sure though.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-05 07:05:13  
you're becoming the new kawar
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2013-04-05 07:06:37