フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 133 134 135 ... 363 364 365
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-07-21 23:35:44  
Methinks they are afraid of pup being op if they do the H2 ws changes everyone wants
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2017-07-22 00:03:55  
Would be neat if as a side bonus, they reversed Martial Arts penalty to be a TP bonus instead of less TP per punch. Not saying that would be an end-all, be-all fix, but just as a bonus on top of w/e they do.
Though then I guess DW jobs would then say a precedent had been set and want the same treatment.
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-07-22 01:51:01  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Why can't they increase MNK WA damage through job specific JA changes?

Because no JA change is going to have the kind of effect that is needed. Impetus, Boost, Mantra, FS, none of those will have the 50~100% increase in WS damage that needs to happen.

Yeah, BOOST will be a simple fix to make Monk Great Again. If they are lazy, flat DMG bonus to all WS hits. If they get down to it, they can adjust it a bit to counter the 15sec recast and stacking effects.

Then there is the store TP problems as well as the deficiencies in REAM for monks. Then probably throw in something to make kick attack worth close to double attack.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-07-22 05:59:58  
BOOST hidden effect: Victory Smite fTP transfer !

MNK FIXED
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-22 06:59:05  
The problem with all of these guesses is that MNK needs a full time adjustment. Every weapon skill needs to be improved.

For this stuff to work:
Boost would need to last the full duration, stacking until duration wears. It would be sort of like Impetus in this way in that it would get better over time. But it wouldn't wear off upon hitting something. Players would just have to remember to always hit Boost, every time... Sounds tedious. Hopefully it just becomes some kind of stance, like Hasso.
Impetus would also benefit players by becoming some kind of stance, like Bacon said.

Also like Hasso, make the down sides of using such stances, if any downsides are necessary, something not an actual part of the job. Spell recast timer duration increase was always a laughable downside...
Possible acceptable downsides are:
Chocobo riding time duration decrease
Synthesis time increase
Dual Wield delay increase
Ranged attack and/or Accuracy decrease
Magic attack and or Accuracy decrease
Song recast timer duration increase
Pet HP decrease
Spell recast timer duration increase

Counterstance is currently a JA that allows a MNK to get two or three extra counters in before getting turned inside out from a TP move. Sure, SE reduced the penalty. But they also made DEF relevant. And the extra damage being taken reduces enmity so pretty soon the ability makes itself moot. Like much of how MNK is currently designed.

And Chi Blast is a free pebble to toss every several minutes. Awesome.

AOE Chakra would be sweet.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-07-22 08:25:32  
Well, I'm back playing for awhile and I will stubbornly play Monk until the end of time because I still love it. So, you can run and tell that, Homeboy.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
サーバ: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2017-07-22 08:41:53  
They will change boost/impetus/formless strike so mnk does 10k/punch and be done with it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-22 16:26:26  
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
And Chi Blast is a free pebble to toss every several minutes. Awesome.

AOE Chakra would be sweet.

Chi/Penance actually isn't bad for low man fighting (obviously for the inhibit TP and not damage) and in 2017 the best MNK merits are prob 5/5 Mantra, 4/5 (or even 5/5) Penance and maybe 1 In Formless (or 0 and just adjust merits if for whatever reason you want to spam Morimar/Foret Delve).

I'd like Chakra to be Diffusion+Mighty Guard but with Party HP+ instead of regen.

And obviously Boost SHOULD not be something you have to use for every WS. And Impetus needs changes, especially to the dumb penalty. We'll see what they came up with...
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-22 17:13:34  
I don't know, we've been slaying everything low-man for over half a year now, and no strategy exists that recommends Chi/Penance. Not long ago, there was a discussion about whether most/all NMs have regain/high STP/high Occult Accumen anyway.

Chi Blast should dispel-all or apply Impact-like debuffs. Or do amazing damage. Inhibiting TP isn't useful. It might be unique, but it just isn't useful.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-22 18:30:33  
Omen caturae have essentially no regain, so i wouldn't say chi/penance are useless. Max HP is extremely valuable in general, and perfect counter is great for something like albumen where you have a high chance of dying to plain rounds. All MNK needs is for their net damage to be somewhere in between BLU and WAR and they will be useful enough.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-22 19:56:27  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Omen caturae have essentially no regain, so i wouldn't say chi/penance are useless.

How often has anyone brought a MNK to anything for this in the last 6mo? If the answer is never, it isn't useful.
Sure, if a job with good DPS had this ability and was brought along anyway, there is no reason to not use it. But that is far from useful.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-22 20:09:14  
As usual, selective reading. If you revisit my post, you will see my qualifying statement, but let me highlight it for you:

All MNK needs is for their net damage to be somewhere in between BLU and WAR and they will be useful enough.

Now, let's look at what you said:

Quote:
Sure, if a job with good DPS had this ability and was brought along anyway

Okay, so we've established it's useful if the job has good enough DPS to bring along. Cool. Now, we look at my qualifier, which indicates MNK needs more DPS. Great, so we're in agreement.

If you're saying MNK needs comparable DPS and better JA, you're just delusional or looking for a buff that'll never come. Tons of DPS jobs have little to offer past damage for different situations, I'd say penance and the additional HP rank pretty highly personally.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-22 21:40:16  
Odin.Drakenv said: »
Leviathan.Vedder said: »
That's called souleater
Incorrect soul eater drains your HP while attacking and is a job ability. We are speaking of a job trait which wouldn't cut your hp with attacks.
iFail at funny apparently :(
 Leviathan.Miepies
user: Nimibus
By Leviathan.Miepies 2017-07-23 02:23:34  
By Blazed1979 2017-07-23 04:21:11  
MNK should be at the absolute top of the physical DPS hierarchy.
Above WAR, above DRK and above SAM.
WAR can stand-in for a tank temporarily, so can DRK and so can SAM.
WAR also has an arsenal of ways to enhance everyone else's DPS.
DRK has access to a lot of magical utility spells that enhance its performance and survivability, as well as inhibit the performance or the enemy.
SAM's niche as always been skillchains, and it continues to hold that position.

MNK has what? *** Mantra? it literally is a job that does nothing else but swing its fists and kick...
It has no niche. It's supposed to just kick the living *** out of everything. But as it stands, it is a "no-job" Job. It's the equivalent of a homeless dude who picked up some steel knuckles and set to compete against cruise missiles, F-16 fighter jets, Abraham tanks, RPGs, M-16s.

God damn it give MNK Falcon Punch already!
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 04:40:02  
If MNK's DPS were in an acceptable range, it would be fine, with or without Chi/Penance. On it's own, it isn't useful. Your qualifying statement doesn't provide a situation that makes Chi/Penance stand on its own... Like I said, it is unique, but that doesn't make it useful. It is currently a throw away thing that a MNK can do if it is taking a slot anyway.

It's like, crap, I don't know... Barpoison. Sure, a job can cast that spell. And it might cast that spell. But if that spell didn't exist, that job would still be brought along if it could do something actually useful like nuke or cure. But if it can't do something useful, who cares if it can barpoison?
By Artemicion 2017-07-23 04:57:32  
If MNK's DPS were in an acceptable range, it would be fine, with or without Chi/Penance. On it's own, it isn't useful. Your qualifying statement doesn't provide a situation that makes Chi/Penance stand on its own... Like I said, it is unique, but that doesn't make it useful. It is currently a throw away thing that a MNK can do if it is taking a slot anyway.

It's like, crap, I don't know... Barpoison. Sure, a job can cast that spell. And it might cast that spell. But if that spell didn't exist, that job would still be brought along if it could do something actually useful like nuke or cure. But if it can't do something useful, who cares if it can barpoison?

WS damage improvements aside, what do you feel would be an improvement in utility for Monk, outside Chi/Penance, Max HP, Perfect Counter, etc., while still being suitable for the job?
By Blazed1979 2017-07-23 05:26:22  
If they're not going to give top DPS position to MNK then turn it into a Melee/Debuff hybrid
Call this new class of debuffs Physical Chi Manipulation
- every kick attack landed adds a slow %/paralyze
- Every fist attack landed should have defense down/attack down
- Make counters land a 100% stun, no resists
- Make chi-blast lower an enemies chi-manipulation resistance so that the above physical debuffs can proc 90% of the time for the duration of 60 seconds.

Control it through reasonable proc rate - 50%. Cap it @ a certain % as well. But don't make it proc only on ***you could solo. Make it proc on everything, including i150+ content.

There's so much that can be done but the SE peeps need to get creative.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 05:27:45  
Artemicion said: »
WS damage improvements aside, what do you feel would be an improvement in utility for Monk, outside Chi/Penance, Max HP, Perfect Counter, etc., while still being suitable for the job?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, since you narrow possible changes down a lot. But from what you've left:

Boost--I'd make it a stance with a duration of 3min and a recast of 1min. It would provide a max Boost to Chi Blast and a very high % increase to WSD. How much WSD? Asuran Fists sucks and it shouldn't, so I would use that as the baseline. Once Asuran Fists can do 20k, I'd call it good. This would likely make Victory Smite amazing. Good. It should be.

Dodge--This couldn't be made into a stance, or it would conflict with Counterstance. And for either to be meaningful, they would need to work together. The current duration and recast are probably fine... I'd have to test to know (Something SE would benefit from doing once in a while, also), but I'd have it give the affect of Foil along with the evasion increase.

Focus--This needs to compensate for the missing off hand/grip stats so let's do something crazy like +60 accuracy/attack/magic accuracy. With a duration of 3min and a recast of 1min.

Chakra--A recast of 5min makes this utterly forgettable. Capuchin's idea of turning it into Diffusion + Mighty Guard is interesting. Some kind of party/AOE buff with healing would be great.

Counterstance--Remove the penalty, maybe add some enmity, and this is fine.

Footwork--This is fine, I guess.

Impetus--This can't be made into a stance, or it'll conflict with the other stances. But Bacon's idea of making it a static increase is a great idea.
 Asura.Ccl
サーバ: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2017-07-23 07:55:50  
Blazed1979 said: »
MNK should be at the absolute top of the physical DPS hierarchy.

mnk is prolly the safest/easiest dd to use still, it cannot be the best dd, even if it's not the best but even with war/sam/drk we'll just bring mnk because mantra/counter/hp boost are too good for survivability.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 10:03:47  
MNK shouldn't be the best DD. No job should be an undisputed best. They should all be close enough that they can rotate the title between events and bosses.

Unfortunately, all the bosses are the same damn thing.

If I could be greedy, I'd add STP to my wish-list... Probably to Focus. But, I think what I posted would be a minimum needed to fix MNK through it's job abilities alone.
By Chimerawizard 2017-07-23 10:10:08  
Boost--
Dodge--
Focus--
Chakra--
Counterstance--
Footwork--
Impetus--
missed one.
Hundred Fists--Increase the boost from 75% to 99%. Stacked on a 80% combined haste/martial arts leaves you at 0.2% delay or whatever the minimum server delay they can physically set without it rounding to 0%. It's hundred fists gdi, not four fists.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 10:41:25  
Yeah, Hundred Fists is total trash. The total possible DPS output is some pathetically low number... Less than a self-SC made by a heavy DD.
But, many SPs are garbage so... Whatever. It just so happens MNK gets two that are stupid. MNK can't catch a break no matter where you look.
 Odin.Geriond
サーバ: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-07-23 12:05:55  
IMO, the simplest fix to Hundred Fists would be just completely removing WS (and maybe even JA) delay while it's active so that it doesn't interrupt your TP gain and damage. Currently, it doesn't matter all the much how fast you attack if every time you WS it pauses you for two seconds.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 13:04:07  
An exciting way to fix Hundred Fists would be to slow the target down by an incredible amount, rather than simply try to speed up the MNK. Consider it as a Super Chi/Penance.

I don't know what the values would be, but some obscenely high negatives to a target's Haste, Cast and STP values would essentially make it seem like the Party/Alliance are in a time warp.

Like Bullet Time from the Matrix.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-07-23 13:12:53  
Aint' nobody got time to code for bullet time in a MMORPG. SE already cut FFXI budget to the minimum; they are in recycling mode. Everything that can be reused, recycled and reduced will be employed.

Best way to 'fix' Hundred Fists on the cheapest possible way is to simply add Mighty Strikes effects to it. Or simply add Souleater effect to it (without the HP loss). It's cheap, you just copy and paste stuff. No need to make new things.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-07-23 13:21:40  
Just make 100-Fist give you 100% QA to compensate.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-23 13:25:28  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
Aint' nobody got time to code for bullet time in a MMORPG. SE already cut FFXI budget to the minimum; they are in recycling mode. Everything that can be reused, recycled and reduced will be employed.

But it would be so exciting. :(
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-23 13:29:26  
Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
Just make 100-Fist give you 100% QA to compensate.
Honestly like this idea for hundred fist. Give it some crazy multi hit rate
 Siren.Robthunder
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Robthunder 2017-07-23 13:44:36  
Make it look like when you used kraken club with hundred fists lol. Now that would be fun.
First Page 2 3 ... 133 134 135 ... 363 364 365