フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 261 262 263
 Cerberus.Ryger
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: ryger
By Cerberus.Ryger 2014-10-14 01:02:08  
Anyone have a current SA & TA set? i checked page one but idk about TH gear n each set. Also an up to date Ruda set?
 Shiva.Ladyofhonor
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Ladyofhonor 2014-10-16 06:43:18  
So I just realized that for fights with a dedicated tank it's going to be best if we use reforged relic body and 5/5 ambush merit...***.
By Davorin 2014-10-16 12:07:26  
Shiva.Ladyofhonor said: »
So I just realized that for fights with a dedicated tank it's going to be best if we use reforged relic body and 5/5 ambush merit...***.

Small discussion about that specific scenario here (about halfway down the page.) Was when the 109 body was released.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-16 14:23:09  
Shiva.Ladyofhonor said: »
I find the only time I'm having issues keeping in the back is either when I pull hate, I'm bound, or everyone else keeps moving around (Innin and/or Overwhelm). Most SAMs are good enough to keep hate and will prefer to face the enemy anyway, unless it has an problematic directional attack and you have multiple SAMs.
By Luthiene 2014-10-21 21:47:06  
So does anyone have an updated High Accuracy TP, Evisceration and Rudras set for D/VD Mithra?
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-10-21 22:03:20  
If you look at a piece of gear, you can actually see the stats on them. For a High Accuracy TP set, you'd want to max out your haste to 25-26%, and fill in the rest with accuracy and maybe some DW(dual wield) as well.

Evisceration and Rudra both have dex mod on them, so the more DEX you have, the stronger they will be. For Evisceration, you'd want to balance DEX and ACC. There is no right balance, it all depends on what you're fighting. For Rudra's Storm, you'd want to go all out on DEX since SA(Sneak attack) and TA(Trick attack) forces a crit and will always land.

And if you want to look through all the available gear in the game, you can do so here:

http://www.ffxiah.com/
 Odin.Calipso
サーバ: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-21 22:46:00  
For TP, any mix of Honed Tathlum/Ginsen/Olseni Belt/Iqabi Necklace/Ramuh+1(Or mars)/Letalis Mantle(I personally keep to canny though)/Buremte gloves can all work. Af/+1 Head/Feet/Body all have some acc and a decent amount of dex on them, too.

Edit: Forgot Zennaroi earring if you happen to have it.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2014-10-23 15:22:13  
I have been updating my sets today and I had a few questions that I cant really seem to find the answers to.

I see that Mercy Stroke Stat Mod is at STR 80% since WS update, What about TP Bonus gear such as Moonshade? Is it viable now for MS?

Quiahuiz Trousers with STR +8 aug vs. Pillager's Culottes +1 in Mercy Stroke set?

Vespid Mantle, Rancorous Mantle or Kayapa Cape for Rudra's?

As well as can someone post an up to date Evis set? Thanks.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-10-23 15:44:32  
Well rather than actually learn the basic mechanics of the game, I'm sure someone will come along and post a guide to tell you how to gear yourself.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2014-10-23 16:17:25  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Well rather than actually learn the basic mechanics of the game, I'm sure someone will come along and post a guide to tell you how to gear yourself.

I'm sorry that I came to a public forum asking for advice on situational gear swaps for certain sets like alot of people do. It's not about learning how to gear myself or having someone post a guide on how I should. It's about getting advice. Something you lack as you prolly don't know or just dont care. Which if this is the case, I don't see why you would even bother posting. If you feel the need to discourage peeps from posting here or simply just like being a Dbag, by all means, no one can stop you. To lash out like that only makes me think you are unhappy (insert sad face here). Maybe you were bullied as a child, maybe you still are a child, maybe you have no life and like to creep the forums thinking I'm going to be a douche today. I dont know. Maybe your lonely, lacking companionship, divorced, jobless, or just plain ugly. once again, I don't know. What I do know is that you need a huge to brighten up your day and another bowl of cereal that someone hasn't pissed in. I tip my hat to you /cheers.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
サーバ: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-10-23 17:30:34  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
If only there was a post that discussed gear sets and optimizing said sets with what you have access to and a community that would aid in that regard. Ihina, do yourself a favour and turn off the required to respond to each post feature you have here in regards to gear questions until you can stop sounding like a conceded cuntbag that is putting people below them.
[+]
 Odin.Calipso
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-23 17:34:00  
This is a pretty re-occuring thing I see on these forums, and seriously.. what's with all the angst against people that come to a community forum, especially a guide thread that's intended to help people, when they ask questions? It doesn't really help that the front page of this guide is somewhat out of date, and searching through these guides can be painful as there's sometimes pages and pages of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE arguments.

Personally I was a mage only for a very, very long time. I didn't really know or understand the mechanics of much outside of whm or rdm. Thf and Dnc were the first DD jobs I leveled up and I'm sure I must've talked some of my friends ears off when it came to gearing and gear advice, especially when the first few times I tried looking at spreadsheets it seemed like an alien language to me. I don't like posting advice in general because I don't consider myself an expert and don't want to give people bad advice. If I see no one piping in, I'll try and help. Google can be misleading for a beginner because how are they to know which sites have the most reputible and reliable information?

If you don't want to help, it really can't hurt to point out places where you can get better information. It took me awhile to find places like bg forums and bg wiki, links to spreadsheets, etc. Keep in mind there still are newer players or less hard-core players that really just don't know all this stuff.

Personally I'd rather take 2 minutes of my time to answer a few questions and help someone out than to potentially run across that person in a group somewhere while they're still completely clueless as ***.

To answer your question, don't use moonshade with MS. It's incredible for Rudra's, though.

Pillager's for legs if you're stacking your ws. Quiahuiz (probably) if not, but if not you're better off using Evis.

I don't personally use any of those 3 capes for Rudra's, I use Cavaros. (This is again assuming stacked, rudras isn't very good otherwise).

This is my evis set, your mileage may vary:

Here is a link to mote's spreadsheets. They're quite fun (and useful) once you get the hang of them, and allow you to gear for a lot of different situations/buffs.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-23 17:41:03  
Sylph.Agentblade said: »
I have been updating my sets today and I had a few questions that I cant really seem to find the answers to.

I see that Mercy Stroke Stat Mod is at STR 80% since WS update, What about TP Bonus gear such as Moonshade? Is it viable now for MS?

Quiahuiz Trousers with STR +8 aug vs. Pillager's Culottes +1 in Mercy Stroke set?

Vespid Mantle, Rancorous Mantle or Kayapa Cape for Rudra's?

As well as can someone post an up to date Evis set? Thanks.
Moonshade's or any TP bonus from gear, is only really applicable on ws that either increase fTP at higher tp values or increases crit hit rate of the ws. Mercy Stroke has a static value of fTP and extra tp only effects its aftermath effect.

So no, TP bonus is likely not the way to go with Mercy Stroke.

In other words; increased WS stat mods have nothing to do with whether or not TP bonus is applicable.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-10-23 17:50:00  
Sylph.Agentblade said: »
I'm sorry that I came to a public forum asking for advice on situational gear swaps for certain sets like alot of people do. It's not about learning how to gear myself or having someone post a guide on how I should. It's about getting advice. Something you lack as you prolly don't know or just dont care. Which if this is the case, I don't see why you would even bother posting. If you feel the need to discourage peeps from posting here or simply just like being a Dbag, by all means, no one can stop you. To lash out like that only makes me think you are unhappy (insert sad face here). Maybe you were bullied as a child, maybe you still are a child, maybe you have no life and like to creep the forums thinking I'm going to be a douche today. I dont know. Maybe your lonely, lacking companionship, divorced, jobless, or just plain ugly. once again, I don't know. What I do know is that you need a huge to brighten up your day and another bowl of cereal that someone hasn't pissed in. I tip my hat to you /cheers.

All that extensive passive aggressive backlash just shows you're a hypocrite since you're condemning me for lashing out at you as well.

You can't lash out at people for lashing out at you and claim the moral highground. It just doesn't work that way.

And you should at least learn the basic mechanics of the game so you don't come off as an ignoramus. Moonshade Earring will never do anything for Mercy Stroke and you would know that if you took the time to learn about it instead of having people spoon-feed information to you.

All these so-called experts who come dashing in, thinking they're helping other players when all they're doing is perpetuating a whole generation of god-awful players who don't know how to do something as basic as gear themselves. The irony is that all the knowledge you possess doesn't take more than a few clicks of the wiki to obtain, so it's not that difficult or impressive to begin with.

And that is what you are doing, Agentblade. You're not asking for advise, you're asking people how you should be gearing yourself. You're not listing stats, you're listing specific pieces of gear. You'll have much more success if you actually learn how to play the game.
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-23 18:03:13  
Ihina, while I'll admit your argument is perfectly valid, the aggressive approach isn't going to help these spoonfed players anymore than handing them the gearsets they demand. It's not hard to offer them the knowledge they need to understand the superiority of a specific gear choice without straight out giving them the answer or calling them idiots.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-10-23 18:16:04  
Surely some people will ask for the "x" or "y" peen gear set to make sure they don't have to even worry about learning a job.

However, by simply providing that basic knowledge (instead of posting hateful/arrogant/Usuck comments), these very same people may actually be able to learn more about that job rather than simply copy/paste stuff. Heck, perhaps if they notice any improvement they may actually get to appreciate the job more and get more involved in its learning curve.

I thank everyone who actively contributes to this thread in a propositive way. Looks like you're out of that exclusive club Ihina.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-10-23 19:56:29  
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Ihina, while I'll admit your argument is perfectly valid, the aggressive approach isn't going to help these spoonfed players anymore than handing them the gearsets they demand. It's not hard to offer them the knowledge they need to understand the superiority of a specific gear choice without straight out giving them the answer or calling them idiots.

I'm well aware that you have to baby everyone nowadays with cutie words so they don't get their feelings hurt, else they'll get defensive.

And Sheelay, I don't want to spend too much time on your post since you don't seem worth the time, but he is literally listing out gear and asking people to pick for him. No where in his post is he asking for 'that basic knowledge'.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-10-23 20:26:22  
Sounds like my comment buttdevastated someone.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-10-23 22:33:41  
After we got the extra 80 macro sets, I began playing around with gearsets for my THF, and I ended up redoing them all. I will post all of my THF sets below. Please bare in mind I do not have Felistris Mask, Iutil +1 (except the head), some +1 accessories, and some of the newer gear from Incursion/Avatar fights. I also do not have Vellaunus' mantle +1 yet.

I welcome feedback on these sets. My ilvl sets are not for extreme accuracy situations, they are most suitable for Adoulin areas and the high tier battlefields, but not for the hardest content available right now. More accuracy can be added to the sets if needed. I believe these sets could be improved, if anything is blatantly wrong please let me know. I would appreciate your feedback and maybe others will learn from it as well.

ItemSet 329995

This is more of a Dynamis/Salvage/Limbus set. Whenever trusts are unavailable. Will use Vellaunus' mantle +1 when I get one.

ItemSet 329996

I use this set whenever I use trusts on older content. It's not too bad on weak Adoulin content. (Ceizak, Rala, Reives)

ItemSet 329997

I only use this in ilvl areas if I do not have full buffs. Also could be used on older content for more survivability. Will use Vellaunus' mantle +1 when I get one.

ItemSet 329998

I use this in buffed ilvl content situations. Accuracy can be added with other gear (eg. Letalis, Ej Necklace etc), but I feel I have the right balance here for the content I play.

ItemSet 329999

Standard Evisceration set when accuracy isn't an issue.

ItemSet 330000

Evisceration set for content requiring more accuracy. I tend to use this for "Difficult" battlefields, and Incursion.

ItemSet 330001

Somebody else posted an awesome Aeolian Edge set in the guide somewhere, and I thank them for that. This set is one of my favourites for the job. Great for old content and times when I need magical damage.

ItemSet 330002

I don't use this often. It's for when I know a big TP/Nuke will hit and I'm struggling in a battlefield situation. For moments when I want more survivability and I don't have the hate. Could be improved, or split into two sets for PDT/MDT. Lacking Iutil +1 gear, so I made up for it with reforged.

ItemSet 328337

For when you want to train lots of mobs. Evasion 1011, Evasion Skill 443.

ItemSet 330003

Solo Sneak Attack set. Works well with Treasure Hunter and Plun. Culottes +1 equipment for raising TH effectiveness. (Sneak Attack > Feint (Bring in the legs) > Bully the mob > bring in TH gear > Attack > Profit)

ItemSet 330004

Solo Trick Attack set.

ItemSet 330005

Apparently you stack all the DEX and AGI you can for Mug. I only have Mug on stage 1 in the job points so far. Maybe this set will be more useful in the future. Mug can be used in Dynamis to stagger mobs now. Which is nice.

I would like to make a rangad accuracy set like the one in the guide, but I still need to acquire the new crossbow.

EDIT: The Evisceration set with accuracy was meant to have the Sukeroku Hachimaki.
[+]
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2014-10-24 10:49:41  
This is what im using for salvage, dyna, older content solo.
ItemSet 330011

Canny cape has DW+4 and I know i'm lacking a Patentia Sash.

Trusts, party set up and anything that doesn't need lots of acc.
ItemSet 330012

Trousers have str+8.

Mercy Stroke
ItemSet 330013

Trousers have str+8.

Rudra's Storm
ItemSet 330014

I am using Vespid Mantle atm. Not sure if Kayapa or Rancorous Mantle is superior.

Evisceration
ItemSet 330015

This is what I'm currently using.

I haven't showed my thf some luv in some time now. My cor eats up most of my time & gil making those sets optimal. I am open to any suggestion to make these sets optimal as well. I have a higher ACC sets for incursion and hard mode battles that require a substantial amount of acc to hit anything. I am not to worried about it since, 9 times out of 10, I usually go Cor.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-10-24 12:32:47  
Calipso mentioned Olseni Belt in a list of Acc pieces, and I just wanted to talk about it a bit because I'm not sold on it as that great of a piece.

True, it's max Acc in the slot, and maybe sometimes that has its uses. But comparing to Anguinus, Olseni gains Acc+5 and loses 20 Atk (which probably matters on content hard enough you need high Acc) and 1%DA. That's a very tough pill for me to swallow, and I'd rather make up the fairly small amount of extra Acc in other slots (hell, most of the time I'm reluctant to even give up my Windbuffet+1 until I've made all the other Acc swaps I can).

Maybe in very rare situations Olseni and truly maxing out Acc could be worth it (doing regular high-130s level Incursion - OK, maybe reasonable), but Olseni should be very limited in its use.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-10-24 12:48:50  
I only recently unlocked Rudra's Storm and I can't work it out, I need to improve the set but from loleyeballing it doesn't seem to be beating Evisceration unless stacked with SA.

In what situations does Rudra's Storm out-perform Evisceration and vice-versa?
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2014-10-24 13:06:34  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Calipso mentioned Olseni Belt in a list of Acc pieces, and I just wanted to talk about it a bit because I'm not sold on it as that great of a piece.

True, it's max Acc in the slot, and maybe sometimes that has its uses. But comparing to Anguinus, Olseni gains Acc+5 and loses 20 Atk (which probably matters on content hard enough you need high Acc) and 1%DA. That's a very tough pill for me to swallow, and I'd rather make up the fairly small amount of extra Acc in other slots (hell, most of the time I'm reluctant to even give up my Windbuffet+1 until I've made all the other Acc swaps I can).

Maybe in very rare situations Olseni and truly maxing out Acc could be worth it (doing regular high-130s level Incursion - OK, maybe reasonable), but Olseni should be very limited in its use.

IMO, both pieces are used for high-acc sets. (mostly when buffs drop) Olseni just does a better job at that.

I'm sure there's a situation where Anguinus provides all you need to cap acc, and it's offensive stats push it over Olseni by a little bit, but it's impractical to gear a high-acc set that way. Most of the time I activate a set like this, I'm not going to re-cap until I get a hunters roll, another madrigal, or a distract II is applied, etc. and then I can swap back to a higher dps set.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-10-27 13:36:10  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I only recently unlocked Rudra's Storm and I can't work it out, I need to improve the set but from loleyeballing it doesn't seem to be beating Evisceration unless stacked with SA.

In what situations does Rudra's Storm out-perform Evisceration and vice-versa?

Your eyeballing was the correct answer to your question. Stacked with SA (or TA): Rudra's. Solo: Evisceration.

Quetzalcoatl.Orestes said: »
IMO, both pieces are used for high-acc sets. (mostly when buffs drop) Olseni just does a better job at that.

I guess that's fair. But really, how often are you actually doing high end content where you need acc and buffs are dropping and not reapplied for a significant amount of time? For me, that's nearly never, your backline really shouldn't have much reason to be dropping buffs with any regularity.

I occasionally do want to use something like a hybrid Acc/DT set, and in that case I find that absolute max accuracy probably isn't necessary so I make some reasonable tradeoffs - i.e. (1) keep DA earring set instead of 2x Acc ears, (2) use Windbuffet+1 > Anguinus > Olseni for belt slot, (3) keep Atoyac on if possible instead of using a higher skill/Acc offhand...

Sometimes you really do want a straight up acc set for TP regardless of buffs too. AAMR, Yorcia Delve mandragora, etc. In that case, like the above, I often want a fairly heavy acc set but not necessarily max accuracy at the expense of all else. Something like that, I'd probably be more inclined to take the relatively modest 5acc hit loss from using Anguinus over Olseni, in exchange for the pretty valuable Atk+20/DA+1%.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-30 18:13:16  
(posted same thing in Drk thread)

Im hoping to return some time in the near future. Been out for just over a year, since last oct after father died.

ItemSet 306932

thats what i was running with on thf before i left. I was mainly doing other things, and was planning on getting around to trying to upgrade equip even then. So now, a year later, im sure it rly needs it.

I was looking for some stepping stones, so to speak, for my thf to get it back up to date some. Realizing i cant go straight for the top tier gear, but im looking for some step set to get there.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-10-31 12:12:06  
Reforged AF is a great start. All of them except the head really (unless you have Mercy Stroke/Rudra's). Relic feet 119 are exceptional, if you are going to do a relic, do that one first. The accessories are decent for now. Sparks farming is what you will be doing a lot of, so get to it.

You need to work on getting AF to +1, and Relics on +2 augmented to lower the items needed to upgrade to 109.

If you have access to Oboro's weapons (check his requirements out), you can build a Sandung, and it's a great weapon until you get a Mandau/Izhiikoh/Sabebus/Atoyac. You won't need Sandung for the TH once you got enough TH pieces in your regular equipment, but it still has decent damage unless you can get a combination of the above four.

A good place to farm some sparks without going out there and completing many different quests is to go down into Rala Waterways, put on I and II, along with 500+, vanquish multiple, crystals (i want to say dark and water), the daily vanquish multiple objective, and anything else you can find. Also save your copper vouchers, store them with the RoE NPC and exchange each one for 1000 sparks.

You could also build bayld up, do some wildskeepers. Get an Atoyac and Quiahuiz Trousers augmented. Lots to do. Will keep you busy for months.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-31 14:56:40  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Lots to do. Will keep you busy for months.

thats what i said 7-8 years ago' lol
[+]
By worstplayer 2014-11-05 14:46:21  
feeling a bit stupid, and know will prob get someone saying so, but lately, I've seen a lot of thf's having TH gearset of sanding, relic hands 119 upgrade, chaac belt, empy feet +2. even saw one main hand sanding, off-hand thf knife. I (very) vaguely remember an update some time ago capping initial TH proc at 8. everyone starts @TH1, thf takes that to TH4, sanding + relic hand 119 upgrade takes to TH8. after initial proc, can only progress 1 level at a time. my question is, if u can cap TH proc with off-hand + hands, why all the TH gear. unless I'm missing something or am wrong about the update thing. pls, just curious, not trying to be critical
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 261 262 263