users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Rapid shot help
Rapid shot help
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 08:43:04  
Can someone please explain the rapid-shot mechanic to me? Is it an instant shot, or is it a much quicker shot?

I'm asking in regard to snapshot/ranged attack sets and the problem rapid shot could potentially cause: ie the shot going off in the much lower stat oriented "snapshot" gearsets.

Do you situationally use a rapid-shot set over snapshot gear? ETC ETC ETC.

please and thank you.
 Shiva.Arana
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-01-02 08:52:14  
Going with an instant shot from the description on wiki:
Occasionally causes a ranged attack to fire instantly.
Could be wrong though I'm no ranger.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-01-02 08:53:59  
It's basicly like instant-cast just for ranged attacks, if that helps
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 08:56:32  
Shiva.Arana said: »

That's what i thought too (IE it would *** up your damage if it went off before snapshot phase finished) but BG has a line that says:

bg.wiki said:
Reduce aiming delay (the time it takes to fire a shot - based off weapon delay), not reload delay (the time between shots - based off ammo delay). Can reduce up to 50% of the original delay. (VERIFICATION TAG)
Which would mean it would still have time to swap to RaTT gear before the shot occurs.

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
It's basicly like instant-cast just for ranged attacks, if that helps

It does and that makes me sad.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-01-02 09:06:44  
Shiva.Arana said: »

The in game description is Occasionally quickens ranged attacks.

Read bgwiki. It reduces the aiming delay by up to 50%. But it isn't always a 50% decreased.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 09:14:13  
:<

Ok so with the high delay of guns, I shouldn't have to worry about popping off 1/10 shots while still wearing snapshot gear, right?
 Shiva.Arana
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-01-02 09:23:40  
Wow there is a huge difference between 50% and instant someone should edit that on wiki.
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-01-02 09:25:10  
Yeah don't think too much into it.

Worst case if you fire a slightly weaker round extremely fast.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 09:26:35  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
Yeah don't think too much into it.

Worst case if you fire a slightly weaker round extremely fast.

I am cursed to overthink EVERYTHING
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-01-02 09:29:39  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
:<

Ok so with the high delay of guns, I shouldn't have to worry about popping off 1/10 shots while still wearing snapshot gear, right?

You still have time to swap in rattk/STP/racc w/e gear with rapid shot proc,unless you super lag/slow.

Edit: If I remember correctly(once used stop watch on lots of shots with snapshot/rapid shot, but that was long time ago), you should still have like 2~3 sec when it proc. That's plenty of time to swap unless you lag.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-02 10:57:55  
Think of it like conserve MP for ranged attack delay. The 99 RNG proc rate is very very high, I think. It made me rage when I tried to do snapshot tests.
By Aeyela 2013-01-02 11:01:01  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Think of it like conserve MP for ranged attack delay. The 99 RNG proc rate is very very high, I think. It made me rage when I tried to do snapshot tests.

Something like 75% the last time I parsed something where I was shooting a lot of ranged attacks... I've been meaning to parse more and get a bigger quantity of results but I got distracted by other things, like I always do.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-01-02 11:03:09  
I wish SE would just put the bloody amount of snapshot like they do for haste...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 11:05:37  

I have no idea what you mean by this statement. (sorry ><). I'm not trying to be a pain in the ***, i just want to understand so I am getting the most out of the way I am gearing.
By Aeyela 2013-01-02 11:05:48  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I wish SE would just put the bloody amount of snapshot like they do for haste...

Balance.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-01-02 11:18:51  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

I have no idea what you mean by this statement. (sorry ><). I'm not trying to be a pain in the ***, i just want to understand so I am getting the most out of the way I am gearing.
Conserve MP can reduce 1/16 to 8/16 of total mp cost. Rapid shot likely works similarly, and reduces delay by 1X to YX, where YX has a value of 50%. It doesn't process every shot, so a value would only be chosen if it does proc.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 11:25:17  
but it's safe to assume that I won't be getting slapped with periodic "snapshot gear" shots due to rapid shot? That's the impression I'm getting.

I was worried about using navarch tricorne over a snapshot piece if the rapid shot would effectively be a "nerfed shot".
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-02 11:29:02  
As long as you don't have much of a delay between your pre-shot and mid-shot gear, you should be fine.
By Aeyela 2013-01-02 11:31:02  
My macro's delay is 1 second and I don't have any issues with it, Ash.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-02 11:43:11  
Thanks for the lesson guys :3.
 Asura.Kurriko
サーバ: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-01-28 02:42:05  
As long as you don't have much of a delay between your pre-shot and mid-shot gear, you should be fine.
Whats the default delay between precast and midcast in spellcast, and is it likely to interfere? I've been macroing extra STP pieces into my snapshot precast set (as precast has snap in some slots where midcast has stp) incase I get a rapid proc fire without enough STP, but wondering if it was really needed.