users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Magian Staff Trials Astral Flow
Magian Staff Trials Astral Flow
 Phoenix.Randorn
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Randorn
By Phoenix.Randorn 2013-01-01 21:11:16  
Is it possible astral flow 1-shot groups of mobs to finish magian trials? I am unfamiliar with the amount of dmg astral flow can do in abyssea with the proper atma.
By Aeyela 2013-01-01 21:13:45  
Highly unlikely even with Atma. Astral Flow is very underwhelming and the vast majority of abyssea monsters have higher hit points than their real world counterparts.

I tried this on the Garuda Sheep trial and it was a waste of time. It took three Aerial Blasts to kill them all.
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-01-01 21:15:53  
I'm tempted to try now... but I doubt the avatar or I would live through and entire pull of that size.
By Aeyela 2013-01-01 21:18:32  
My friend pulled for me on Thief and I killed them Summoner burn style, but in the time it took for him to pull every Sheep in La Theine Abyssea I could have easily killed more with Predator Claws and meleeing in the same time.
 Phoenix.Randorn
user: Randorn
By Phoenix.Randorn 2013-01-01 21:19:06  
Well, I'd imagine a pull could be done by some other job and the smn could keep astral flow up by holding boxes or a ??? like you do with brew kill spams.
By Aeyela 2013-01-01 21:21:05  
Phoenix.Randorn said: »
Well, I'd imagine a pull could be done by some other job and the smn could keep astral flow up by holding boxes or a ??? like you do with brew kill spams.

Not anymore... They patched that. Your Astral Flow timer will vanish now even if you're on a box.
 Phoenix.Innina
By Phoenix.Innina 2013-01-01 21:23:15  
Worked on all my SMN magian staves in a similar way. I wasn't able to 1-shot an army of mobs with Astral flow but with another SMN I was able to drop them. It's how I did mine..

iirc, 1 SMN's Astral flow BP was dropping the enemies to about 35% I wanna say. It's been a long time.

Find another SMN to team up with and someone kind enough to pull for you. Just have to rely on Restore boxes. Goodluck~
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2013-01-01 22:23:35  
Completing magian trials via the use of Astral Flow is a very possible strategy which I myself have utilized; however, it is very much a team based effort.

I will attest to what Innina said in regards to Astral Flow dropping the HP of enemies down to roughly 30~40%, easily more than half.
If you required 3 Aerial Blasts to kill the sheep Aeyela my only thought would be you may not have had an ideal atma set up and/or gear.

I (and 3 other summoners) did Sheep in Abyssea - La Theine using Diamond Dust and they always went down in 2 uses of the ability. The pattern was simply Summoner:A Astral Flows > Diamond Dust > Summoner:B has their Shiva use Sleepga > 45~ish second wait > Diamond Dust = ~20+ kills.

I find though, that the best combination for using a summoner for trials is Summoner, Black Mage, and Red Mage.
Red Mage to pull, Black mage to ~aga the mobs so that only one Astral Flow Ability is required, for sleepga, and to build azure so that you will get ISL chests for the summoner to be able to Astral Flow repeatedly. Summoner to deal the killing blow and fulfill the kill requirement (assuming that it's perpetuation staves you're attempting to create).
-Side Note: Carbuncle with Searing Light is extremely useful for light damage kills for the few people who may attempt to make an Arka I.

This strategy obviously takes a lot more preparation and set up time to be effective so it's only worth doing in certain situations. But I find when it works, it works well.
By Aeyela 2013-01-01 22:28:05  
Lakshmi.Zeosilot said: »
If you required 3 Aerial Blasts to kill the sheep Aeyela my only thought would be you may not have had an ideal atma set up and/or gear.

Indeed, I forgot to mention I had been chipping away at the trial with DD atma on and never went back to change.
 Phoenix.Salmijr
user: Salmijr
By Phoenix.Salmijr 2013-01-02 00:02:09  
Before the brew lock nerf, you could have done it as stated. You would need a puller/sleeper to pull initially, then sleep the mobs immediately after the 1st af. Lock yourself on a box or ??? till timer runs down on af, pop a temp, re-af and sleep, repeat.

Of course, you cant lock brews now, so would be pointless to try it now.

A bunch of us did the blm earth staff trial that way. The pot kills with earth magic took 2 brews iirc to complete. a brewed stoneja usually one shotte everything, even with their innate magic resistance.
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2013-01-02 11:34:49  
Being able to lock Astral Flow definitely made the trial easier (it didn't require azure light to be built) but if you're willing to prep the azure light then the strategy is still effective.
You'll get an ISL box in 90% of your pulls (unless Altana hates you?) so instead of holding a box you'll just be keying a box.