New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Swords and Daggers and Corsair
Swords and Daggers and Corsair
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2012-12-15 19:31:50  
I've posted a few times here, only trying to catch up the mentality I left and how that is for me now.

When I left, I pretty much had a Joy/Cor Slugshot setup. I wasn't by any means geared, but at ttime was pretty well set.

What are Cor's using these days for Main/Sub weapons?

I've seen a quickdraw-ish dagger. Currently I'm sporting a reclaimed joyeuse and a FOV modded Phantom Fleuret with +4 accuracy +1 resist silence. (I'm aware joy works better without offhand).

I used Joy then pretty much just for solo, and for exp mobs so I don't go feeding tp. Any other good sword/daggers I should be looking at? Familiar with Trailer's Kukri, just rarely on AH and twice the price of PF.

(Note, I already own a few Elemental staves.)
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 19:40:49  
the HQ prism staff I think is best, no? has AGI and fire potency for wildfire, also has STR for last stand. I was under the impression that this staff was pretty boss.
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-12-15 19:55:01  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
the HQ prism staff I think is best, no? has AGI and fire potency for wildfire, also has STR for last stand. I was under the impression that this staff was pretty boss.
I fulltime the chatoyant on cor unless I need to melee for some reason. If you're going for gun WS spam I would suggest mkris.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2012-12-15 19:56:25  
From what I remember, Nguul(I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) is a great dagger for Last Stand.
Chatoyant for Wildfire and general QD. Acinaces(or whatever, I am so awful with names now) doesn't seem so useful really.
also has STR
Does have the 5Agi as well but is Str really that important for this WS at least? I(somewhat) understand the fstr2 thing and all but thought Agi/Racc/Ratk were all that really mattered for LS. If not I can see partly why mine sucked on anything worth a damn...

Wouldn't really be meleeing for TP on anything with Cor now, not VW(Maybe lower tiers?) or Legion.
Joyeuse, Coruscant/Lux Pugio would all work for that if you were doing it though I guess. Only really bothered doing that in abyssea though I carried a melee set with me to everything.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-12-15 19:59:40  
As for guns, You can probably just grab a Stoertebeker off the AH for dirt cheap. You really should make an Armageddon though if you want anyone to take your cor seriously.
By Aeyela 2012-12-15 20:03:27  
Joyeuse is still nice for COR when playing around or doing Abyssea. For general events however you're better off going with a Chatoyant Staff or a damage based weapon.

chatoyant staff will do two things:

1) Increase Quick Draw damage directly, and also through the use of elemental obis. It will also increase accuracy (slightly) but this won't be much of an issue most of the time.

2) Increase the damage of Leaden Salute and / or Wildfire tremendously, especially when paired with the elemental obis. Assuming you are a returning player (do correct me if I am wrong) you will have Leaden Salute, possibly, but not Wildfire?

Other than the above two things, Chatoyant will not actually do much for COR. It is simply a multi-purpose MAB stick, basically, for everything a COR does. Outside of Quick Draw and elemental weapon skills there are far better choices; so when people say 'full time Chatoyant' take it with a grain of salt: this is bad advice. It is the staple sign of a lazy, abyssea ground COR especially for being a roll *** to full time Chatoyant. Not every situation requires it and outside of the two situations above, it won't do anything for you.

Now, I would recommend getting an Armageddon if possible. It transforms the DD side of COR. It's not overly difficult to get, but a returning player like yourself might find it trickier than somebody who's been playing for awhile. Either way, if you're going to make one piece of gear your priority I'd recommend Armageddon.

Last Stand is a strong weapon skill; so much so that, even for Corsair, it's powerful. However, the gap between a physical DD COR and RNG has grown dramatically since you were last playing. RNG is now even further ahead to the point where COR is almost not worth it. They have no high base damage bullets for shooting or Last Standing and this makes them fall behind. If you're a 'career' COR, however (And if you are, pirate salute!) then get Last Stand. There are times when Leaden Salute or Wildfire will be weak or not appropriate.

For Last Stand and for general DDing, I recommend nguul from a surprisingly irritating Crab in La Theine Abyssea. It's a decent dagger. mekki shakki is decent if you're going for a X hit build. If you just want plain damage then Vulcan's staff would still be an acceptable weapon to main hand.

Unfortunately, the nature of COR has changed. You are not expected to DD anymore unless you have Wildfire. The bottom line is outside of it, your damage will not be competitive enough to condone giving 'that extra slot' to COR over other jobs. This of course does not mean you shouldn't play COR without Wildfire. Spit in the face of anyone who says you shouldn't. Just don't be under any false impressions that COR is the physical DD it used to be; without Wildfire, it is now one of the worst.

This is coming from someone who has loved COR and been a career COR/RNG since I started playing. It's sad, but I've accepted it. We're roll *** more than ever without Wildfire and, even then, the majority of people gear COR so badly that the majority of players look down on us. This means you will be remembered if you put the effort in, though. When I join random VW shouts I always get asked to go COR because the people organising know I pride myself in the job, have gear sets for everything and don't just roll and occasionally WS when my Dusty Wing Temp. is ready.

Good luck, and welcome back to the pirate life!
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-12-15 20:19:05  
Read Sehachan's Cor guide on this forum as well.
By Aeyela 2012-12-15 20:25:25  
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31312/the-pirates-lair-a-guide-to-corsair/ - It's a very good guide.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-15 20:52:10  
Aeyela said: »
Unfortunately, the nature of COR has changed. You are not expected to DD anymore unless you have Wildfire. The bottom line is outside of it, your damage will not be competitive enough to condone giving 'that extra slot' to COR over other jobs. This of course does not mean you shouldn't play COR without Wildfire. Spit in the face of anyone who says you shouldn't. Just don't be under any false impressions that COR is the physical DD it used to be; without Wildfire, it is now one of the worst.

That's not true, COR's output now is actually stronger compare with 75 era. Back at 75 era it's only strong on pink bird merit pt but not anything endgame, now it's at least competitive in VW(which it's endgame).If you don't have WF, but take advantage of last stand, it can pull off some nice numbers.

Also, the primary reason to invite a COR is for chaos roll. Roll *** or not, as long as ppl need chaos roll you'll get invited.

Carbuncle.Darktrance said: »
When I left, I pretty much had a Joy/Cor Slugshot setup. I wasn't by any means geared, but at ttime was pretty well set.

What are Cor's using these days for Main/Sub weapons?

I've seen a quickdraw-ish dagger. Currently I'm sporting a reclaimed joyeuse and a FOV modded Phantom Fleuret with +4 accuracy +1 resist silence. (I'm aware joy works better without offhand).

I used Joy then pretty much just for solo, and for exp mobs so I don't go feeding tp. Any other good sword/daggers I should be looking at? Familiar with Trailer's Kukri, just rarely on AH and twice the price of PF.

It really depend on the situations, and how you want to DD. Some ways to DD is better than another depending on your current buff/debuff and target.

Melee TP is still pretty good under haste capped situations, if AoE isn't an issue and you're using last stand. But personally joyeuse will be the last weapon I choose to melee TP with atm. Due to lower acc than a dagger, slower TP gain than MK and less TP/WS dmg than Aluh. Aluh with DA roll actually gain TP nearly as fast as Joyeuse, but much high DPS and WS dmg.

Nguul, Aluh, MKris, Sagasinger, Sanis, qilin dagger HQ(only if you're playing COR like a THF or DNC and offhand) are some of the good weapons, depending on how you want to DD.

If you're using WF, always staff in VW/abyssea with atma/atmacite.

Cerberus.Diabolique said: »
From what I remember, Nguul(I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) is a great dagger for Last Stand.
Chatoyant for Wildfire and general QD. Acinaces(or whatever, I am so awful with names now) doesn't seem so useful really.
also has STR
Does have the 5Agi as well but is Str really that important for this WS at least? I(somewhat) understand the fstr2 thing and all but thought Agi/Racc/Ratk were all that really mattered for LS. If not I can see partly why mine sucked on anything worth a damn...

Wouldn't really be meleeing for TP on anything with Cor now, not VW(Maybe lower tiers?) or Legion.
Joyeuse, Coruscant/Lux Pugio would all work for that if you were doing it though I guess. Only really bothered doing that in abyssea though I carried a melee set with me to everything.

I melee for TP in prov watcher zerg(with /WAR last stand) simply because every time when I melee for zerg I get to WS a few time more than shooting, therefore parse higher with more WSs(I always parse lower with a staff in watcher zerg and higher if I melee for TP). Losing staff bonus for QD doesn't matter much when QD dmg isn't high on PW to begin with. Melee dmg during auto-attack also add quite a bit of dmg, and fencer adds WS dmg. while ranged dmg needs manual and just slow.

I also think it's viable if you're using COR in DD pt strat in legion. Especially when in legion most of the time your triple shot will be down and your WS frequency will looooow compare with haste capped melees and RNG(since they shoot faster)

Either way, do not full time chatoyant staff, it's not always the best way to deal dmg.
By Aeyela 2012-12-15 20:59:25  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
That's not true, COR's output now is actually stronger compare with 75 era. Back at 75 era it's only strong on pink bird merit pt but not anything endgame, now it's at least competitive in VW(which it's endgame).If you don't have WF, but take advantage of last stand, it can pull off some nice numbers.

I just don't agree with this whatsoever.

COR @ 75 was a decent DD if properly geared. I could more than hold my own in endgame as a COR, from Dyna Lord to Odin. I did not go as COR for DD, of course. That'd be silly. I went for rolls but whilst I'm on a job that is primarily invited for its buffs, I might as well make the most of it and deal as much damage as possible to go with it. The same philosophy applies today.

The fact is a lot of people didn't (and don't) bother to gear for DD. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of CORs just rolled, quick drawed when required and occasionally cured. A COR could shoot and shoot well, they had the gear for it. Not as well as a RNG, of course, but decent none the less. To dismiss them just to merit parties is so unfair on good COR's it's almost offensive.

The same applies today. People invite COR primarily for rolls. People don't construct a Voidwatch party and say, "We need damage, let's invite a COR". Whilst you're there to provide a service, you might as well maximise your impact between rolling.

Sadly, it seems a lot of people don't see it this way.
 Asura.Rucks
サーバ: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2012-12-15 21:02:48  
Swords and Daggers and Corsair, oh my!
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-15 21:18:31  

I just don't agree with this whatsoever.

COR @ 75 was a decent DD if properly geared. I could more than hold my own in endgame as a COR, from Dyna Lord to Odin. I did not go as COR for DD, of course. That'd be silly. I went for rolls but whilst I'm on a job that is primarily invited for its buffs, I might as well make the most of it and deal as much damage as possible to go with it. The same philosophy applies today.

I'm talking about the gap between DD COR v.s real DD, and actual numbers, not "do more than hold my own"(it's too vague, and doesn't help when we analyze whether we should invite this job for DD or not). From what I've seen, the gap for a 75 COR v.s real DD was smaller in pink bird merit pt when you can take advantage of piercing bonus, but much bigger in events like Einherjar when you need to deal with skeletons, higher def from the mob, lower acc etc. You will certainly notice lower slug shot avg in endgame scene compare with pink bird(unless you used different buff, such as BRD SV or give you 2 attack song) Not sure about Odin since it's not very melee friendly NM.

In VW though, some of the NM(still depending on NM) COR's output is actually very close to many melees if properly buffed and upgraded atmacite, wing spam also kinda off set the disadvantage. But outside of VW the gap gets bigger again.

Of course, if you want to claim that COR at 75 the gap in endgame is smaller than now in VW, you're welcome to send a parse link to prove me wrong.

Edit: I invite COR for rolls too, of course COR that can DD takes priority, but if I can't get COR that can't DD I'd have to settle with anyone with chaos. Every time when I invited a COR to do prov KI BC, they always parsed like 1% or 3% with 0 ra or very low ra acc, when I do 12%~16% on the same job....so I stopped caring about ppl's output....if I feel sad over ppl's performance, it's just making my life harder since I'd have to feel sad every time I do VW lolz.
By Aeyela 2012-12-15 21:24:23  
You are missing the point entirely.

People invite COR primarily for rolls. People don't construct a Voidwatch party and say, "We need damage, let's invite a COR". Whilst you're there to provide a service, you might as well maximise your impact between rolling.

I'm not talking about COR being the ultimate DD. But in situations where you're on COR, which is basically always for rolling, you might as well gear yourself out to provide as much support damage as possible.

And seriously, you can't 'prove' your point by asking me to produce proof you know I won't have. The *** would I have random parses from 3-4 years ago saved for?

At 75 cap on random linkshell events I dealed some decent damage on COR. It was by no means the best, but it was by no means rubbish. You can believe me or not, I quite honestly don't give a crap. I don't need your seal of approval but thanks anyway. My point is no less valid by your spirited disagreement.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-15 21:28:13  
You are missing the point entirely.

People invite COR primarily for rolls. People don't construct a Voidwatch party and say, "We need damage, let's invite a COR". Whilst you're there to provide a service, you might as well maximise your impact between rolling.

I'm not talking about COR being the ultimate DD. But in situations where you're on COR, which is basically always for rolling, you might as well gear yourself out to provide as much support damage as possible.

And seriously, you can't 'prove' your point by asking me to produce proof you know I won't have. The *** would I have random parses from 3-4 years ago saved for?

At 75 cap on random linkshell events I dealed some decent damage on COR. It was by no means the best, but it was by no means rubbish. You can believe me or not, I quite honestly don't give a crap. I don't need your seal of approval but thanks anyway. My point is no less valid by your spirited disagreement.

You're the one who said at 75 it's more of a DD than nowadays, and I was making a point that nowadays it's stronger and more DDish than 75. Nobody is talking about being ultimate DD to begin with.

This is your original statement:

A COR at 75 era the only good WS you have is slug shot(which is also inaccurate) and leaden salute if you need magical. Now you get better WS for both sides, and QD TP gain. Last stand is stronger than Slug and less inaccurate, WF is stronger than leaden and you can boost it's dmg, you also gain TP with QD now, and more offensive rolls to choose from.

I only see COR's output increased. If you're "expected to DD" in 75 with slug, why can't you do it now with last stand?
By Aeyela 2012-12-15 21:29:48  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
You're the one who said at 75 it's more of a DD than nowadays, and I was making a point that nowadays it's stronger and more DDish than 75. Nobody is talking about being ultimate DD to begin with.

No I didn't... I think you misunderstood me. I said that the gap between COR and RNG (and other DDs, I guess) and now is bigger. Which it is, simply on the basis that DD nowadays do a shitton more than they did then. By DD, in the context of the post, it clearly refers to shooting. I have a feeling you skimmed and picked one line out of context to the rest of the paragraph.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-15 21:38:03  
No I didn't... I think you misunderstood me. I said that the gap between COR and RNG (and other DDs, I guess) and now is bigger. Which it is, simply on the basis that DD nowadays do a shitton more than they did then. By DD, in the context of the post, it clearly refers to shooting. I have a feeling you skimmed and picked one line out of context to the rest of the paragraph.

Even if shooting, the gap is still smaller in VW due to wings and atmacite. DDs did more dmg than 75 era, but also because avg middle class DDs is now closer to elite top class DDs. At 75 era the best DD in Ein did twice as much dmg as 2nd best, and 5 times more than everyone else in same LS ._. This doesn't happen anymore(in same LS at least).
 Asura.Kurriko
サーバ: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-28 04:49:02  
Wildfire is stronger than Last Stand unless the mob has a Fire/Magic resistance or you have strong attack buffs (By which I mean Minuets and RCB on top of Chaos and Berserk).

Most of the time, Chatoyant + Rose Strap should be the way to go. If you know you will be using Last Stand only, then Ngull is probably the next best option. Just remember that you'll have to make up the STP you lose (You should be aiming for a 5hit without /sam.)
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 04:50:09  
So much no.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-12-28 05:36:45  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
So much no.

This is probably one of those people who LS with the same bronze bullets they use for wildfire.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-12-28 06:07:09  
WTF have I just read in here....

Read sehachans guide /endthread
 Phoenix.Bohgo
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-12-28 06:09:58  
Quote:
Just remember that you'll have to make up the STP you lose (You should be aiming for a 5hit without /sam.)
Corsair's are buffed with some form of regain in nearly every event and can adjust their QD sets to get tp if not. Reaver grip +1 and Elder grip are better choices.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-31 07:29:39  
Been collecting parse data for Aluh v.s Mkris for prov watcher zerg, and got the conclusion that TP with Mkris spamming last stand is probably better.

You just swing more times with Mkris:

And Aluh's melee dmg isn't much higher:

And you get to spam 3k~4.8k WS back to back to back .-.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-31 07:33:23  
Interesting numbers, Afania. What melee set do you use? Curious how much accuracy you need to stack on this to make it viable. I've often pondered doing the same thing on Ranger with a Ridill or Kraken Club. If you can get your accuracy high enough... With a 99 Annihilator spamming Last Stand every second or two you could throw out some beastly amounts of damage in a very short period of time.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Sehachan 2012-12-31 07:36:44  
In an ideal melee set you already have +45 acc, without even accounting the huge dex on it; and we have higher skill in dagger than gun...I don't know why you guys always doubt our melee capabilities.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-31 07:40:07  
Interesting numbers, Afania. What melee set do you use? Curious how much accuracy you need to stack on this to make it viable. I've often pondered doing the same thing on Ranger with a Ridill or Kraken Club. If you can get your accuracy high enough... With a 99 Annihilator spamming Last Stand every second or two you could throw out some beastly amounts of damage in a very short period of time.

Ranger doing that with KC is certainly viable, I've seen RNG parsed very high with it, although I don't play RNGs so I don't know ideal melee set for KC D; (I heard you shouldn't use DA gears etc)

My melee set is same as my BLU's and didn't tweak it(except swap neck to ziel charm), so it's not ideal either D; Also not sure if I should use DA or not ._.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2012-12-31 07:41:44  
Either way when meleeing I honestly think you should always go /dnc so to use haste samba. Gives a much better benefit to the whole party.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-31 07:43:13  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Either way when meleeing I honestly think you should always go /dnc so to use haste samba. Gives a much better benefit to the whole party.

My DD pt was DRK DRK WAR COR BRD WHM though! So only 1 person gets benefit no?
By Aeyela 2012-12-31 07:44:14  
I remember @ 75 cap KC RNG was a fantastic DD, but things weren't innately so evasive then as they seem to be now. With such a low Club skill I'm not sure how well it would work. I suppose step one is obtaining a Kraken Club though.

Ridill works well in Abyssea, can deal some ludicrous damage there.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2012-12-31 07:44:55  
I'd totally use a Kclub if I had one :x
By Aeyela 2012-12-31 07:45:24  
Same =(