フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Consumer Price Index
Consumer Price Index
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2012-10-21 21:58:12  
I'm sure you've noticed that this isn't updated anymore. I may revisit the code and make it show historical trends across all servers using a better algorithm. It's not something high on the todo list, it just might be cool to look at.

I know others have suggested in the past to replace the CPI on the front page with something else. I completely forgot what those suggestions were and would like anyone to add a suggestion here. Thanks.
 Bismarck.Narshee
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Narshee 2012-10-21 22:00:55  
If possible.. what about a miniature shout window of the server you're set on?
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-10-21 22:03:09  
Could replace them with w/e Kawar's latest thread is.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2012-10-21 22:05:19  
Bismarck.Narshee said: »
If possible.. what about a miniature shout window of the server you're set on?

Ok, I think that is what someone suggested before. It could be done but it won't be able to update automatically, just pull the latest shouts for the server. It would also include a link to the shout page for auto updates.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-10-21 22:05:31  
For now, you could use an algorithm to compare the prices of cheese and cheese-like substances nationwide. I'm curious as to how much camembert is in Puerto Rico.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2012-10-21 22:25:33  
Assuming it pulls its info off ah by sales the gil sellers using AH to transfer larger amounts of gil on random item sales will completely throw off any statistic anyways.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2012-10-23 08:59:02  
The mini shout window looks great. It'll come in very useful logging on site and seeing if any shouts should log on game for fast. How often does the image update?
 Leviathan.Egonn
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-10-23 09:04:39  
The CPI really helped when trying to figure out the economy on different servers. For example Levi's was 6 when all the other servers were hardly over 2. For people who want to move servers this helps a lot.
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2012-10-23 09:12:05  
I know you already have the Relics section and it tells you who obtained what recently..
But possibly it could incorporate R/E/M weapons to who got what for your server?
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2012-10-23 09:21:35  
Leviathan.Egonn said: »
The CPI really helped when trying to figure out the economy on different servers. For example Levi's was 6 when all the other servers were hardly over 2. For people who want to move servers this helps a lot.

The Cpi was worthless (no pun intended) since RMTs use the Ah to transfer huge amounts of gill now. looking through listings on rarely sold low price items you'll see 10s and 100s of millions going through sale historys. For example Oct. 7, 2012 30,581,206 gil for 1 Roast Pipira on Ragnarok.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2012-10-23 10:49:03  
The CPI was computed using the daily *medians* of hand selected items. The items that were selected were relatively fast moving, or at least at the time they were. Since they sold often and I used the median, sporadic outrageous transactions had no effect. RMT, RMT crackdowns and SE updates can have a big effect on the price of items via inflation/deflation and supply/demand changes (for selected items). These events are part of the point and annotating them would be nice to see. So a decent algorithm can illustrate long term trends in prices/inflation and also a comparison to other servers.

BTW. Maybe an economics major might have a better way to analyze the data. I think I'm on the right track though.
[+]