Looking For Crafter For Hexed Tekko -1 (quetz)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Quetzalcoatl » looking for crafter for hexed tekko -1 (quetz)
looking for crafter for hexed tekko -1 (quetz)
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2012-09-24 15:26:34  
Preferably of course as you can't control everything. I have the mats for four tries. if you hq on the first one you get all the mats i have to do what you will with if you want plus an agreed upon price. PM or tell in game, or even post here with what'd you do it for if you want.

To make it clear you as the crafter can set the price but it has to be reasonable.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
サーバ: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-09-24 15:38:14  
I am obviously not on your server, and hopefully this doens't come off as too frank, but just to give my two cents -- I would be prepared to pay between 20-40M for the HQ, even if you are providing a significant quantity of materials.

Granted, you are correct -- a single person cannot control all materials, but by using your ingredients and giving you an HQ -- the crafter is still narrowing his/her prospective market of buyers, and in that sense is really shooting himself in the foot if he would do something as insane as accept 3-4M in synthesis materials as compensation for producing an HQ that he could have otherwise sold for 35-65M.

Moreover, by accepting other people's synthesis materials to essentially sell said individual an HQ at a reduced cost in exchange for bringing the crafter the materials -- the crafter is further increasing competition against himself on the auction house for materials that are already particularly annoying to obtain.

Some may call this level of reasoning selfish or greedy, but quite frankly the whole point of crafting in the first place is to turn a profit by producing items that other people cannot make.

I have had several individuals I am particularly close to ask for me to synth hexed gear for them, and I have made it a steadfast rule (at least for the moment) to turn everyone down in that regard; not to be an a**hole, but just because some of the synth mats are just THAT rare/annoying to obtain, and at the end of the day, when someone asks you to "synth me an HQ piece of hexed gear; i'll provide mats", they are essentially asking the crafter to give away 20-70M, for free.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hsieh
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-24 15:41:47  
I'd take anything for a profit, but if I've been synthing that particular item for profit I would probably not synth it unless you "convince" me other wise.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-09-24 15:44:08  
I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with the above. If you find someone that will continue to synth them for you as you bring them mats and will give you the hq w/o some type of payment... good on you. Make no mistake, that person is a fool.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-24 15:50:10  
However if I needed skillups, I'd do it for free.
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2012-09-24 16:28:27  
never meant to make it sound like i was looking for someone to do it for free. but i can kinda see how it looks that way after rereading OP.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-09-26 13:37:23  
@OP
Yea, I wasn't entirely sure if you were specifically only offering hte synth mats as a reward or not, but I just kind of wanted to make this public statement regardless. GL getting the tekko~

Carbuncle.Josiahfk said: »
You're right that attitude can be profitable; look at big business today and how the same behavior can make a company millions. But the only thing it shows is that money means more than anything else to someone that behaves like that.

The selfishness here is being placed on the crafter, when in reality I think far more blame rests on the consumer in this sistuation(offering a few mil for a very expensive item).

Someone asking to synth mats into HQ's for free (or anything less than 25% of what the item actually sells for - which may as well also be considered free in my opinion at least) is LITERALLY asking you to give the consumer X million gil, for absolutely nothing. If an item normally sells for 50M, and someone offers me 5M for an HQ if they provide the materials, they are essentially saying that their work gathering the materials was worth 45M(minus the actual cost of the mats), and my work as a crafter obtaining whatever skill level necessary to tier the synth is worth 5M.

45M vs. 5M lined up with the following:
Buying items off of the AH vs. The initial financial backing/risk/time/AH camping required to completely level the craft/relevant subs.

If you are the type of person that is willing to give tens of millions of gil away to faceless strangers as some act of benevolence, then by all means you are more than free to do so, and that is a very charitable act. But my main point here isn't that being charitable is a bad thing -- my point is that such offers being considered a reasonable exchange between consumer and crafter are incredibly selfish on the part of the consumer.

I don't bring a hunk of scrap steal to Chevrolet and say "hey brah, HQ me a corvette and I'll give you $10,000, for an auto that retails for $75,000" This of course would be ridiculous, and the same level of absurdity is analogous to crafting in this game. An item's value is not solely a product of the materials invested; the value is also a summation of time, having the means to conduct the desired process (whether that be synthing something or building an automobile), along with what I mentioned earlier.

From a consumer's perspective though, I can understand the frustration of trying to acquire items that either A. Do not exist, or B. Are too expensive to obtain.

In these instances, I would recommend bringing a crafter enough ingredients to conduct 24-36 synths of the desired HQ item (assuming that the item is tier 1). Make the deal that the crafter can keep any HQ's beyond the first. This way, you as a consumer are nearly guaranteed to obtain your HQ item (at the cost of 24 synths), while the crafter has a decent chance of obtaining an HQ just at the cost of his services/time (maybe even 2 HQ's if he is incredibly lucky). Either way; in this type of example, I think both consumer and crafter could feel like they are being given a fair deal. The consumer gets their item for likely a third of market cost, and the crafter likely gets some free HQ attempts.

This example obviously does not apply well to all synths, since obtaining enough materials to conduct some hexed synths 36 times in one sitting is laughable at best.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-26 13:44:25  
The major factor is the lack of risk on crafter's part in such a situation. NQ hexed is worth next to nothing and difficult to move. This makes a truly fair arrangement difficult to figure out.

That said, I'm personally of the opinion that you should only hire a crafter you don't personally know if the item is not available for purchase elsewhere. Offer a tip comparable to the cost of HQ - the cost of mats you purchased/a reasonable estimate of your time gathering the mats' value. After all, keep in mind that you're getting a crafter to find a rare item, not to try to profit off of their skill. Yes, it is profit even if you uncurse the thing, it has economic value.

That's just my take, though.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-26 13:50:59  
You can also screw people out of HQ's by breaking or intentionally wearing a Tanner's Ring or just basically lie about getting a HQ. Free 5 M for just trying. This is what we call an investment or service. It's a trust thing. However as a crafter, I prefer my payments in gil not leftover mats nor NQ junk.

Also you can't always compare in game economics with real world economics. They only thing I can see that always applies is supply and demand.

I usually charge for free for return of free synths of their high lvl crafts. However if it's a stranger, I'd pay by rate or flat service and both parties agree to those terms.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-09-26 14:24:05  
That's a very selfish way to look at the situation. You don't help people out with that mindset, you just try to provide a service to faceless consumers.

You're right that attitude can be profitable; look at big business today and how the same behavior can make a company millions. But the only thing it shows is that money means more than anything else to someone that behaves like that.

And that's not why I lvled all the crafts. but good luck OP
There is plenty of people trying to make a relic and spending every gil they have to get there. You should farm Dynamis and give away your bynes, or sell them for 1/20th of the going rate. After all, thats what this guy is trying to do by offering 4M for -1 hexed kotes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-09-26 14:28:19  
But case in point, i also would think that it is better to make something rather than nothing, in other words. Someone is going to make this deal and its not very proper but if someone is going to minutely benefit from it, why not you?

Example: When i would sell Nyzul Isle armour and a Thaumas body droped from the 100 floor boss i would sell it for 5M, but if the buyer said i dont have 5M i only have 325,000G i would think... is it worth more than 325k? ***. of course. However 325k was better than letting it hit the floor so i would always say *** it, give me what you got.

Which essentially is the same thing here... He has a shitty offer but at the end of the day, someones going to hop on this deal and you mine as well do it first. (If you are a crafter)
 Sylph.Rafaras
user: Enitsu
By Sylph.Rafaras 2012-09-26 14:57:05  
I'm with Wardeniii on this one.
 Sylph.Takitu
user: takito
By Sylph.Takitu 2012-09-26 14:58:36  
@Wardenni I have more matts for my cursed pumps :D !!
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-26 15:18:19  
I do a lot of crafting for others. For a big item -1 like cursed hauby I tell the buyer my fee upfront. If its a competive item then my fee is higher, if its something i could careless about then its normally 10% the going HQ rate. No way in hell I'm doing it like OP.
 Asura.Myrrh
サーバ: Asura
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2012-09-26 15:28:17  
Really looking to have my Wax Sword +1'd.. just tell me now, how much is your time worth to put some mats in a 8 space window and hit go?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-26 15:32:11  
What a dreadful comparison
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2012-09-26 15:49:41  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
I do a lot of crafting for others. For a big item -1 like cursed hauby I tell the buyer my fee upfront. If its a competive item then my fee is higher, if its something i could careless about then its normally 10% the going HQ rate. No way in hell I'm doing it like OP.

so just because i have not set a price but only mention an agreed upon price after my edit. I'm basically asking the crafter to name the fee, so you wouldn't take up my offer where you set the price?

I offer the rest of the mats as bonus if they hq on first try. While unlikely they will get more than hq in 4 tries it is possible.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-26 16:15:02  
Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar said: »
so just because i have not set a price but only mention an agreed upon price after my edit. I'm basically asking the crafter to name the fee, so you wouldn't take up my offer where you set the price?

I offer the rest of the mats as bonus if they hq on first try. While unlikely they will get more than hq in 4 tries it is possible.
Depends what range your fee is in. Mats run 1.1m on my server, I assume you're looking for a T1 crafter so you can probably expect to use ~13.2m in mats to make it. There are many wanteds for 35-45m on this site, and most pairs I've seen are around 40m. If you go low end and value it at 30m, call your time gathering the mats worth 3m, and let them keep the NQs(AND they care to try to move all of those when they're in very low demand).. you're still looking at about a 12.5m gain off of their skill.

If you weren't planning on offering near that, then yes, you're ripping off the crafter. You still might find someone not economically-inclined that would do it though.

Keep in mind that it's not a zero-sum game, those mats you're buying WOULD have been purchased by those crafters eventually in all llkelihood. You're lowering their availability, so they don't owe you any favors.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-09-26 16:33:39  
This is all part of the reason I don't craft for random people anymore. They either expect you to gather all the materials, or they expect you to give them a discount on something because they asked you to craft it. They don't understand by me making you something, even if you bought the mats, I am killing potential profit for myself for the future.

For a friend I don't mind crafting them something for free as long as they gather everything and I just have to more or less, hit enter.

Back when Noble's Tunics where a very good profit, 2005'ish, and I was one of a few 100 CC people on Ramuh, another LS leader had a huge stock of shining cloths and wanted me to craft them all and give me 1 NQ in return for roughly 45 synths. I didn't need a NQ noble's so I sold it, but I ended up fighting that same LS leader undercutting those ~40 NQ's I made him for about 3 weeks before mine finally sold (and he dropped the price nearly in half). He tipped me like 500k for the 3-4 HQ's I made but that still far from made up from him dropping my "500k per synth" profit I was making by buying all the mats from the auction house.

I never did mass crafts for anyone again on something profitable after that. I couldn't afford to! It took me months to raise that NQ price back up a little just to cover the cost of losing a 5M gil cloth 1 in every 15-20 synths.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-09-26 16:55:15  
Back to drinking....
By Aeyela 2012-09-26 17:07:50  
That's a very selfish way to look at the situation. You don't help people out with that mindset, you just try to provide a service to faceless consumers.

And that's not why I lvled all the crafts. but good luck OP

It has nothing to do with selfishness. The crafter is the one who put their time and money into levelling their craft and, as much as I respect your generous attitude, the majority of people don't share it. I certainly don't. It cost me a ludicrous amount of money to level my Smithing 'back in the day' and I did not do so to give away a 40m item just because my customer supplied the materials.

If anything, I believe it's selfish of a consumer to expect a massive money item like this at materials cost. I really think you're going to struggle to find someone 'generous' enough to agree to essentially give you 40m gil just because you supplied the materials.