Should I Delevel Cooking?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Cooking » Should I delevel cooking?
Should I delevel cooking?
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-23 23:36:38  
Atm I have Cooking 74.0 with Raw Fish Handling and none of the GP Items, and I'm not really pulling any profit with it. My fishing isn't really high enough to catch anything worthwhile, so Sushi's are pretty much a no-go profit area for me.

I was going to level THF and Leather/Bonecraft on a mule, though I'm thinking I might do it on my main, which would mean delevelling Cooking.

What do you guys think?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-23 23:41:12  
why dont you just spend time raising your fishing skills?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-23 23:42:31  
Kungfuhustle said:

Fishing makes me want to burn an orphanage.. >.> I just find it insanely boring.
[+]
 Sylph.Jax
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-05-23 23:42:51  
Kungfuhustle said:

Yeah, i hear u can make millions fishing+sushi. ( ")b
 Ramuh.Kiriyu
サーバ: Ramuh
user: kiriyu
By Ramuh.Kiriyu 2009-05-23 23:43:27  
I have 1 Cooking and I wish I could delevel it.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-23 23:45:59  
Hitetsu said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Fishing makes me want to burn an orphanage.. >.> I just find it insanely boring.

I agree, fishing does make me wanna stick an IV full of cow piss into my arm and watch my world slowly turn into a shade of yellow.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-23 23:46:32  
Jax said:
Kungfuhustle said:

That's if you can get your hands on Lu Shang's Rod(sic!), then you can make a killing.
 Phoenix.Meez
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Meez
By Phoenix.Meez 2009-05-23 23:49:36  
yo i can dig this thread cuz i got cooking to 72 and had no idea that once u got something past 60 u couldnt take anything else past that so now im kickin myself in the *** and been thinking about deleveling it too...
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-23 23:58:41  
I still dont get how you can delevel a craft to raise another. That's like purposely deleveling a job to 37 so it can be a sub for another job.
 Seraph.Xurion
サーバ: Seraph
user: Xurion
By Seraph.Xurion 2009-05-24 03:32:41  
Kungfuhustle said:
I still dont get how you can delevel a craft to raise another. That's like purposely deleveling a job to 37 so it can be a sub for another job.

Even though this example was silly, I lol'd.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-24 03:36:16  
Jax said:
Kungfuhustle said:

This is a myth unless your talking about long time. Frankly if you have that high of fishing you can make money much faster on other fish npcing them at least on ramuh. Hell half the time black sole barely sells higher then npc price and almost always lower then what the guild will pay if there buying. And if the recipe itself is already failing you... and yeah black sole bite rate is horrible too.
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-24 03:37:05  
How do you not pull a profit with cooking? Almost every synth turns a profit...
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-24 03:41:43  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

I think he means much profit. Though really even NQ on sole sushi is a good 1.5k profit on ramuh and while HQ3 is 14k not bad really on something that will always sell somewhat quickly squids about the same to. I still wouldnt fish for it unless there just isnt any on the market for either of them.
 Pandemonium.Nadul
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Nadul
By Pandemonium.Nadul 2009-05-24 04:57:51  
Dasva said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

I think he means much profit. Though really even NQ on sole sushi is a good 1.5k profit on ramuh and while HQ3 is 14k not bad really on something that will always sell somewhat quickly squids about the same to. I still wouldnt fish for it unless there just isnt any on the market for either of them.

If you can't be happy with 1.5k + profit per synth you can't be happy with any craft probably.

Edit: I was 99.5+2 cooking before I said screw this and delevel'd it, hehe.

Didn't want to level nin.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-24 05:01:06  
Nadul said:
Dasva said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

If you can't be happy with 1.5k + profit per synth you can't be happy with any craft probably.

Well yeah since no craft makes good profit really on NQs when there are HQs for that synth hell even if there arent there generally aint profit. In fact I cant think of a synth out there besides expendables that has much of any profit profit when you don't HQ if there is one. Usually its a rather large loss
 Pandemonium.Nadul
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Nadul
By Pandemonium.Nadul 2009-05-24 05:37:39  
In my experiance, nq usually ends up npc bait, lol.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-05-24 07:37:49  
Xurion said:
Kungfuhustle said:

This guy totaly missed the point lol ^-^;
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-05-24 07:42:44  
Here's how I would make my decision, were I you... First, no matter what you do, you know the game will never delevel your cooking under 60, and that's supposing you bring the other one to 100. By the time your cooking starts deleveling, your other craft will be high enough (80+) for you to make a wise, enlightened decision as to whether you should be continuing or not. So, for now... try to remember how much gil you spent into leveling cooking from 60 to whatever it is now. Consider the lost investment, compare to what you'll have to invest (in time and money) to bring the other craft to 100. And if it sounds worth it, then by all means, go ahead and do it ^^ Most importantly, try and make this a valuable lesson for yourself, about planning before investing. It will help you even in real life.

Another option would be to trick a (much) younger sibling into doing it for you; or anyone around begging to be exploited.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-24 09:39:20  
Back from work and time to reply >.>

Nadul said:
Dasva said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Edit: I was 99.5+2 cooking before I said screw this and delevel'd it, hehe.

Didn't want to level nin.

I'm happy wth 1.5k+ profit per synth, but Sole Sushi is furthur above my level that I would risk spending ~4k/synth for almost no return. It also doesn't even break a 1k profit margin, so in the end.. it doesn't seem worth the time to make 900g a synth.

For the most part, 90% of what I've seen on BC/LC are all profit, assuming I can take out the time to farm, logging my TH2 THF friend on to help.

Now, for the "Almost every Synth turns a profit" in respect to cooking. I personally, don't call < 1k a profit. -250g from AH fee's, depending on what I'm making, leaves me at 750G max. It's barely worth my time half the time.

I spent a total of around ~250k or so (maybe closer to 350k) getting cooking 60-74, so it isn't that big a loss when compared to something like Goldsmithing, where 1 level can cost more.

Aaaaaaaaand KFH:

Kungfuhustle said:

Levelling a craft, and levelling a job are totally different things. You can have 20 jobs at the "Max Level" (75), but only 1 craft at the "Max Level" (100, not including Fishing). So you're basically forced to choose between the crafts you want at 60+. 60+ you get "Master Levels" (as I was always told them anyway), you are given 40 levels to split among any of the crafts you have 60+, but when all 40 are used, you will start "losing" levels on other 60+ crafts as the 60+ you're currently levelling increases.

Last, but not least.. Psyence XD

I actually levelled Cooking based on planning. When I started, it was probably the height of inflation. On Sylph, a stack of Ginger Cookies was running at 5k, Mithkabobs were up around 30k and Sushi's were close to 100k. As a new starter, naturally I didn't have much money, and I was interested in playing with the crafting system a bit, so I was recommended to do either LC, but that seemed like too much work with all those ingredients on me "in the field", I was recommended WW, but again.. I didn't have the patience to log and then turn what I may get into lumber. So I did Cooking, all it needed for me in the field was some crystals, and I got those off mobs anyway. By the time I'd got to the point were I could skill up on Meat Mithkabobs, Cockatrice Meat was 20k/stack, and mithkabobs were around 5k, I didn't have the money at that point to be able to break much, so I skipped those. After getting to the point where I could HQ them with relative ease, the price had dropped to 3k ish, per stack.

Now, when it comes to farming the ingredients for my Synthing, I hate it. With a passion. Why? Because they don't drop, ever >_>

I once went 1/27 on Cockatrice Meat with TH1.. I like farming things that have a fairly decent drop rate, or things that are so insanely cheap on AH, and that I can reuse time and time again (like Hairpins and such.. Synth -> Desynth -> Synth).

If I missed something important, PM me or gimme a shout on here and I'll re-read, tired from working since 6am =P

Thanks everyone for your opinions on it though, they are appreciated, even if it didn't seem like it XD
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-24 09:40:53  
Xurion said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Would you prefer the example of the man named Benjamin Button who grew younger, NOT older, so he won't go to jail for banging jailbait girls?

Oh yeah, I'm not really a crafter, so maybe there's some crafting secret on how to unlearn ***.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-24 09:55:52  
I dunno, I spent absolutely nothing getting cooking from 1-83...pretty much every skill up synth I made paid me back for the investment in the mats. Not to say that there weren't losers here and there, but VERY few and far between.

I tell people in my LS interested in crafting to try cooking because it's easy as ***, the mats are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE easy to get 99% of the time, and it's pretty much the only craft that will pay you to skill it. I dropped 100k on getting leathercrafting to 8 (this was immediately post inflation, and prices were dicked up still kinda), said *** that, and never looked back.

I know a lot of people love the power crafting method, spend 200k on a craft and just dump the ***afterwards, but TBH I think that's kinda silly. ESPECIALLY with cooking...everything I've skilled on so far has sold reasonably well, although a few things DID move slow as ***. But they did move eventually...

Besides, it ain't all about the money you make with cooking, it's about the money you save in not having to buy your own food. You're already so high, would seem like a waste to dump it. In like a few more levels you can skill on Marron Glace, that turns a good couple grand profit each and sells like freaking hot cakes...and all the mats are sold within a 10 foot radius, cept for the crystals...

Anyways, I've said my piece. Do what you will...I just think if you're not into cooking that other crafts are gonna frustrate you even more, lord knows I was pretty pissed dumping a hundred grand into leather and having nothing really stellar to show for it.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
サーバ: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-05-26 14:22:32  
Fishing + Cooking is indeed crazy profit.

However, if you aren't going to level Fishing (The most profitable craft in FFXI!) then Cooking is probably not going to make you happy.
[+]
 Fairy.Winterlight
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-05-26 14:47:37  
Any high level cooking ppl find that they have to lvl Gardening to make cooking profitable?

For the sushi rice?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-05-26 14:58:33  
Winterlight said:
Any high level cooking ppl find that they have to lvl Gardening to make cooking profitable?

For the sushi rice?

Can you teach me now to lvl Gardening?
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-26 14:59:01  
Winterlight said:

For the sushi rice?

I haven't noticed issues with it yet, I've made sushi a couple times off of the economy (i.e., buying rice and fish off the AH) and I seem to remember it being about the same as the AH for the end result at the time.

But yeah, obviously, if you wanna maximize profit, prolly need to do some fishing/gardening. I need to get off my lazy *** and actually do some gardening, every time I need to buy coral fungus or wild onions I kick myself for not growing my own...
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-05-26 15:29:52  
Here is something I don't understand about cooking + fishing.

Black Sole x12 = 16,000g on Garuda
Sole Sushi x12 = 24,000g on Garuda

To make sole sushi (assume you farm your own earth crystals and fish your own black sole) you must purchase Distilled Water, Rice Vinegar and Ground Wasabi from a NPC and lets assume you buy TaruTaru Rice from AH for 4,000g stack.

Each synth costs 2440g with the lowest guild prices. So 12 synths would be 29,284 in materials bought from NPC.

16,000 + 29,284 = 45,280 for two stacks of sole sushi or 22,642 per stack.

So you are spending time to synth with chance of breaking for 1.5k profit per stack of sushi (not including auction house fees here). If you break once then you lose your entire profit for that stack. If you grew your own rice, it would be 3.5k profit per stack excluding the price of grain seeds or the time invested for farming them and again auction house fees.

Now keep in mind, if you are fishing your own Black Sole they are not "free". You are investing time to fish that stack and they can be sold for 16k. It makes much more sense to me to just sell the black sole you fish up for straight profit every time.

Edit: I do realize there is a chance for HQ and profits etc.
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-26 15:40:18  
I would think that the people that really sell this on a regular basis are probably HQing it enough that the profit they make covers the "loss" on the NQ.

Not factoring actually fishing it. According to here, on Fairy, buying everything from the AH, you're still turning a profit of 900 gil/2...or like 4k+ a stack. And who actually buys everything off of the AH, especially with cooking? Couple hundred saved per synth buying vinegar from vendor, 70 for distilled water (lol 83 each, who freaking buys that from the AH???)
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-05-26 15:48:02  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I would think that the people that really sell this on a regular basis are probably HQing it enough that the profit they make covers the "loss" on the NQ.

Not factoring actually fishing it. According to here, on Fairy, buying everything from the AH, you're still turning a profit of 900 gil/2...or like 4k+ a stack. And who actually buys everything off of the AH, especially with cooking?

My point is why bother crafting the sole sushi if you can just fish black sole and turn a profit that way. There is no running around getting the materials, gardening, farming crystals, time spent actually synthing enough to be worth the trouble etc etc. All that extra work for what 3-8k gil (not including auction house fees, breaking, HQs etc) when you could be just constantly fishing up gil.

I tried my share of sole sushi crafting a few months ago when stacks of Black Sole were 9k/each. Even then it was a lot of work to craft all of that for the better profit margin. I have 100+5 cooking and over the course of 30 stacks of Black Sole I maybe got 5 stacks of HQ.

Edit: Just checked my mules AH History. After that spree of crafting I sold 72 stacks of Sole Sushi and 7 stacks Sole Sushi +1
[+]
 Phoenix.Superunknown
サーバ: Phoenix
user:
By Phoenix.Superunknown 2009-05-26 15:56:44
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

I started cooking as my main craft and took it to 72 and decided i wanted to level a craft for a "Big score". I decided on Smithing and when i got the test to take it past 70 (i think) it dropped my cooking to 60.

In the end i really didnt enjoycooking. So you really need to try others low level and do what you enjoy^^
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-26 15:57:08  
Hypnotizd said:
My point is why bother crafting the sole sushi if you can just fish black sole and turn a profit that way. There is no running around getting the materials, gardening, farming crystals, time spent actually synthing enough to be worth the trouble etc etc. All that extra work for what 3-8k gil (not including auction house fees, breaking, HQs etc) when you could be just constantly fish up gil.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. When I get my cooking to 100, I'll be making it for personal use, and sell what I need to to offset the expense, or maybe even make a little bit of profit.

I guess I just look at it a little differently then most. If I wanna make a good amount of money, I'll farm or do some BCNM's or something. Cooking, for me anyways, isn't to make me a fortune, but to save me a fortune that I'd otherwise have to spend on buying the food off the AH. And it's pretty damn easy, too, BIG consideration for me, what with availability of mats from vendors and such.

My trusty THF friend is leveling woodworking for the same reason...sure, he'd like to turn a profit on his synths (who wouldn't?), but the money he'll save HQ'ing shihei for personal use will be a "profit" unto itself. Then he sells enough to cover his personal use ***, and he never spends another dime on shihei...
First Page 2 3