New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Unofficial News / Developer Talk
Unofficial News / Developer Talk
 Bismarck.Tragedie
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-06-27 12:10:55  
I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Kalilla is awesome about posting FFXI news and information from the official forum (and other stuff as well)... a lot of it does not appear in the PlayOnline News section (which is correct, as not everything is posted on the official POL News part, etc). Kalilla also stay on top of adding to her posts with updated information, developer comments, etc.

What seems to happen in controversial updates is a flood of people arguing about whether it's a good idea, then arguing with each other (because of course everyone else on the internet is wrong, etc).

I was wondering a forum section could be created in which Kalilla (or whoever else approved by FFXIAH staff) could create and update threads with the news information, which would also contain a link to a different thread for discussion. News threads themselves wouldn't be derailed or risked being locked (the linked discussion thread would have the same issue, but that's the nature of forums anyway).

All of the news posts would be located in one place, perhaps with a link on the left hand side under the "Community" section. (I imagine one or more of the other sections could be retired if space became an issue., i.e. xNM/Assault/Campaign/Conquest).

Anyway, just a thought.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-06-27 12:17:47  
FFXIAH does not have a proper news section, so I think your idea would be the best suited for what FFXIAH is.

Usually, websites will follow either:

- One thread to discuss, one page with the news posted, with maybe comments allowed.
- Two threads, one locked with just the news, another to talk about it.

Would help, that's for sure.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-27 12:43:24  
People arguing in the news updates keeps them on the front page?
 Bismarck.Tragedie
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-06-27 12:51:05  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Any activity in the discussion thread (arguing or not) would keep the discussion thread on the front page (that wouldn't change).

It's not just arguing (although that was the example I used), but the threads can get long rather quickly. Currently, Kalilla's posts aren't much of an issue when it comes to updates to the thread since she adds the content both to the original topic and as a new post in the thread (goes with the discussion timeline).

I (and I'm sure many others) like seeing the discussion and reactions, and wouldn't want to remove that; I just think it'd be cool if there was a section for the developer notes themselves.
 Siren.Calnus
サーバ: Siren
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-06-27 12:55:53  
I vote for a new thread called Kalilla's Corner where she is her own moderator :>
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-06-27 12:58:08  
Siren.Calnus said: »
I vote for a new thread called Kalilla's Corner where she is her own moderator :>

This actually would be a great idea. She could be in charge of her own subdivision so any unwarranted rambling, complaining, or arguing could be subdued appropriately. Relevance might just prevail after all.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-27 13:05:13  
Bismarck.Tragedie said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Any activity in the discussion thread (arguing or not) would keep the discussion thread on the front page (that wouldn't change).

It's not just arguing (although that was the example I used), but the threads can get long rather quickly. Currently, Kalilla's posts aren't much of an issue when it comes to updates to the thread since she adds the content both to the original topic and as a new post in the thread (goes with the discussion timeline).

I (and I'm sure many others) like seeing the discussion and reactions, and wouldn't want to remove that; I just think it'd be cool if there was a section for the developer notes themselves.

Generally if there's no dissension/bitching/whining/complaining/arguing/griping/negativity happening, the threads die pretty quickly.
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-27 13:11:10  
Artemicion said: »

This actually would be a great idea. She could be in charge of her own subdivision so any unwarranted rambling, complaining, or arguing could be subdued appropriately. Relevance might just prevail after all.

People would then just make their own topics out of her forum.
By Artemicion 2012-06-27 13:16:33  
Sylph.Kimble said: »

Which other moderators can redirect and shut down as seen fit.
Besides, the community is usually pretty good at herding sheep.
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-27 13:20:32  
Sylph.Kimble said: »

Which other moderators can redirect and shut down as seen fit.
Besides, the community is usually pretty good at herding sheep.

considering the lack of moderation lately (not whining, it's summer, im sure they have better things to do and It doesn't really bother me that much) that might not really help at all.
[+]
 Siren.Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-06-27 14:20:00  
In all seriousness I don't see why Kalilla isn't made a full time mod anyways. She is always helpful and kind to everyone for the most part. I've never seen a post out of line even when she submits her own opinion or asks people to politely "stfu" and stop grabbing at straws lol.

Kalilla for pres... er moderator 2012!
 Siren.Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-06-27 14:30:41