users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Thread locking and deleting epidemic
Thread locking and deleting epidemic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-14 11:06:18  
It's really getting a bit out of control.

Granted, the Users who abuse the forums and derail threads for their own masturbatory purposes are just as to blame as the moderators.

Still, it's getting to be REALLY obnoxious how frequently I've gone to Submit a reply to a thread/topic, only to discover that the discussion has been locked or deleted during the time I was writing a response.

If you've been around these forums for the past year, you know I'm the *last* person you'd probably expect to say that we could use a little less moderation around here.

If the majority of threads in the Politics and Religion section of the forums are just to be deleted or locked, I understand why. But in that case, do we even really need a Politics and Religion section?

Wouldn't it be a better solution to just topic-ban the offensive and/or de-railing morons that "contribute" to these threads just to see how many pages long the thread can be?
If topic-bans and/or User bans are either ineffective at changing User behavior, or too time-consuming for the moderators (i.e. if Lock/deletions are being used "because it's easier"), then I re-propose my old idea of implementing the "adult table" and "kiddie table" forums' permissions levels.

And if none of those suggestions are palatable, for whatever reasons, just scrap the Politics and Religion section entirely.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-09-14 11:07:59  
inb4lock
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-09-14 11:08:53  
Talking about the Tea Party thing? Was trying to send a response to Silvaria and it kept blocking me. :/
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-14 11:12:07  
Remove the sites forum function and everyone post on a different site.
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
サーバ: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-09-14 11:12:07  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
Still, it's getting to be REALLY obnoxious how frequently I've gone to Submit a reply to a thread/topic, only to discover that the discussion has been locked or deleted during the time I was writing a response.

Use shorter, less "long winded" responses.
Problem Solved.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-14 11:16:59  
Siren.Kuz said: »

Use shorter, less "long winded" response.
Problem Solved.

That doesn't help when I need to step away from the PC to do any one of the dozens of things I need to do each day away from my desk.
Often I'm called upon to do stuff, and I can't exactly tell people "oh, sure, I'll be there in a minute, let me just finish this post on FFXIAH real quick". I'm often in the middle of a reply post, and need to come back a few minutes (sometimes longer) later.
 Ifrit.Phlow
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Phlow
By Ifrit.Phlow 2011-09-14 11:19:16  
Cool it.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-14 11:21:41  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Talking about the Tea Party thing? Was trying to send a response to Silvaria and it kept blocking me. :/

That's just the latest example, but yes, it prompted this OP.
Similar ninja-locks and ninja-deletes have happened in other threads recently too.

One thing that could also help (beyond the suggestions in the OP), would be to somehow indicate on the main page or the "recent topics" page if a thread is "in danger" of being locked or deleted. I don't know how this could be accomplished. But, at least for me personally, if I saw a warning icon (or something like that) indicating that a thread is "on thin ice", I'd not even bother starting a reply.

Could potentially save Users' wasted time spent of replies that never get posted/seen due to locks and deletes.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-09-14 11:21:43  
Post deletion/topic bans should always be the solution to apply unless the thread is offensive or a flamefest from the very start. Deleting a whole thread just cause it's "too much work to go through the pages" is a sign of bad moderation.

But this is trifle, more importantly:

Quote:
I re-propose my old idea of implementing the "adult table" and "kiddie table" forums' permissions levels
I'm still waiting for my damn french fries!
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-14 11:22:35  
This is the only forum I've ever visited that has constant complaints about forum moderation. It's also just one mod, not all of them. I think we all know who that is.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-09-14 11:24:17  
epidemic? more like pandemic!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-09-14 11:28:08  
Image bypasses profanity filter etc.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-09-14 11:28:49  
[+]
 Shiva.Xellith
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-09-14 11:30:38  
Mods are harsh on offenders IMO. But offenders are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE anyways in most cases.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yuriki
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-09-14 11:30:57  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Image bypasses profanity filter etc.

::goes and reads the rules::

OH!

Excuse me whilst I herp my derp in the corner.

Edit: Man did that feel good.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-09-14 11:33:37  
i still say if people don't like it, they don't have to post.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-09-14 11:34:07  
Shiva.Xellith said: »
well Yuriki is getting topicbanned shortly.

[Run away!]

I remember reading the rules a few years ago and never remember profanity as not being allowed.

Although I suppose this explains the semi-clean rants on certain people.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-09-14 11:35:32  
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
i still say if people don't like it, they don't have to post.
If people don't like it, they're free to express their discontent. In life in general.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-14 11:37:14  
Why was the topic locked?
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-09-14 11:37:29  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
This is the only forum I've ever visited that has constant complaints about forum moderation. It's also just one mod, not all of them. I think we all know who that is.
This is because they let us post profanity/flame eachother to our hearts content before google decided to drop their advertisements. People still have been unable to adjust to the new rules.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-09-14 11:48:44  
Fenrir.Scragg said: »

I'm guessing because it degraded into mostly throwing pictures that stated how dead the thread was, talking about Nazis(and therefore Godwin's law), and a couple of personal attacks based on grammar.

There were a few side conversations still going on, but all in all, not completely surprised to see it locked.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-09-14 12:06:57  

If that question ever needs to be asked, there's a serious issue somewhere along the line.

I like Krizz, but I do think he's too fast with the thread deletion, and even topic bans sometimes.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-09-14 12:07:51  
One thing that could also help (beyond the suggestions in the OP), would be to somehow indicate on the main page or the "recent topics" page if a thread is "in danger" of being locked or deleted. I don't know how this could be accomplished. But, at least for me personally, if I saw a warning icon (or something like that) indicating that a thread is "on thin ice", I'd not even bother starting a reply.

Could potentially save Users' wasted time spent of replies that never get posted/seen due to locks and deletes.

I think that's totally right, but I think it'd also make it a target.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-09-14 12:18:08  
I agree, things look lke it needs more adjustments, cause the way things are now, things seem loose or too tight.
little related.
I think "Damn" is also a bad word? apparently a picture I posted had it, and got deleted, tho the only word that I could see flagged was "damn", as in one of those www . damnyouautocorrect . com pics

regarding Image bypassing filter, why not make it that, people need to be logged in, to be able to click and expand the [ spoiler ] tags ?
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-09-14 12:19:25  
Bismarck.Misao said: »
regarding Image bypassing filter, why not make it that, people need to be logged in, to be able to click and expand the [ spoiler ] tags ?
Jaerik has already answered this in the past. Too much of the site's traffic is from people without accounts and/or not signed in.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-14 12:19:49  
I will unlock but unmain it. If you wish to continue the topic, it's there. I didn't read the whole thing but I know emotions were probably running high. It's better contained in there instead of spilling out in other threads.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-09-14 12:25:51  
^ I beleive that response was directed into being able to read the forums itself, when asked about needing to log in to read forum.
this way, people can still read the forum pictures and what not, but just whats inside the spoilers

they can read this
edit:
on second thought, nvm, it could be used to troll those not logged in.
just an idea ._.
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-09-14 12:27:47  
Bismarck.Misao said: »
^ I beleive that response was directed into being able to read the forums itself, when asked about needing to log in to read forum.
this way, people can still read the forum pictures and what not, but just whats inside the spoilers

they can read this
edit:
on second thought, nvm, it could be used to troll those not logged in.
just an idea ._.
It was a direct response to any sort of code change to prevent logged out users from seeing images/spoilers/otherideassuggested.
 Siren.Kuz
サーバ: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-09-14 12:32:27  
I will unlock but unmain it. If you wish to continue the topic, it's there.

InB4 5 million requests to unlock other topics and threads.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9