users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Cooking » Saltena and Elshena
Saltena and Elshena
 Phoenix.Felonius
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2011-08-15 13:23:58  
What is the difference between the effects of these two foods? Has it been determined yet?
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-15 13:29:49  
Saltena is offensive combat skills, elshena is defensive combat skills.
 Bahamut.Kimikryo
サーバ: Bahamut
user: kimikryo
By Bahamut.Kimikryo 2011-08-25 21:47:58  
is there any proven source on that? WHat I read says, that BG is testing it atm but cante be said for sure
 Asura.Xenophire
サーバ: Asura
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-08-25 21:48:52  
Nah, they're the same. They both don't work. Lol.

In all seriousness, though, I notice a big increase in lower level combat skills. Higher are pretty non-existent.
 Siren.Jingles
サーバ: Siren
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2011-08-25 22:01:18  
Asura.Xenophire said: »
Nah, they're the same. They both don't work. Lol.

In all seriousness, though, I notice a big increase in lower level combat skills. Higher are pretty non-existent.

I noticed skilling up some of my 175-200 skill weapons that the food definitely helped. I was getting at least two full levels (usually closer to three) per mob versus maybe one per mob or so. This wasn't even during Martial Master time. I didn't try with my higher level weapons though, so I can't confirm anything on that front.
 Asura.Xenophire
サーバ: Asura
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-08-25 22:05:07  
Yeah, I was skilling weapons on my WAR and easily got 100 levels in about an hour, however, when I use it for like, staff or club on MNK, I hardly get any. My skill in those was 300+. Was looking to cap.
 Sylph.Washburn
サーバ: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2011-08-25 22:23:48  
I remember an update a couple years back that made skilling up at a low percentage way faster... Like with summoning skill, it was actually a lot more beneficial to hit 75 with the lowest skill possible and youd go up to 160 summoning in a matter of hours, but once you hit 160, it was like hitting a brick wall.  

I read somewhere that elshina worked better for like 250+ and saltena was better for anything up to 250~, but ive tried both and honestly, with lv 220 parrying and 180 staff, by the time my staff hit 250, my parrying had hit 250.  So its seeming like it is in fact a skill cap on it rather than one being offense and the other defense. 
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-08-25 22:32:34  
They did an update a long time ago, that made <200 skill faster proc rate. Don't think food would be a good option unless your >200 skill.
 Leviathan.Matteh
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2011-08-25 22:47:40  
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [96 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Kimikryo
By Bahamut.Kimikryo 2011-11-29 19:05:38  
after some testing myself, below 180 saltena helps starting 200 neither saltena nor elshena seemed to help. Was skilling GAX and Staff.

And I STILL havent figured out where to skillup best. Either SE changed something without telling us, or using anything like gax, scythe, staff and gs doesnt work on crabs in kuftal and the tree.
Or some GM stood in hiding and put grinning a curse on me with "Get 0 skillups on Crabs with your GAX"
Or I was just REALLY unlucky =.=
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-11-29 19:08:45  
Bahamut.Kimikryo said: »
after some testing myself, below 180 saltena helps starting 200 neither saltena nor elshena seemed to help. Was skilling GAX and Staff.

And I STILL havent figured out where to skillup best. Either SE changed something without telling us, or using anything like gax, scythe, staff and gs doesnt work on crabs in kuftal and the tree.
Or some GM stood in hiding and put grinning a curse on me with "Get 0 skillups on Crabs with your GAX"
Or I was just REALLY unlucky =.=

Not sure what level your WAR is, but mobs must con at least DC when compared to your combat skill level.
I find the best way to skill-up is either the afk-style skilling-up with a DMG=1 weapon on Zvahl Fortalice, or by equipping lots of Regen Atma in Abyssea and whacking away on DC+ mobs in Abyssea.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-11-29 19:11:24  
What about Montagna? :(
 Bismarck.Eburo
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-11-29 19:13:39  
I know that Montagna helps phenominally after 300. :o

I don't have anything low enough to test with Saltena, but I agree that Elshena is ineffective when skilling my Lv220~ katana.
 Bahamut.Kimikryo
By Bahamut.Kimikryo 2011-11-30 08:17:17  
My War is 75 now, I decided to stay 75 to cap my skills, but it seems to be close to impossible in Boyahda. I do hit in abyssea with my WAR75, but the damage is erradic between 0 and normal

and, didnt they nerf that fortalice skilling? at least somebody said so in a group I was with
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-11-30 08:21:25  
Wasn't nerfed as far as I know, it's just unable to take you to cap anymore because we've gotten to a higher level, and they haven't.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-11-30 08:26:55  
Bahamut.Kimikryo said: »
My War is 75 now, I decided to stay 75 to cap my skills, but it seems to be close to impossible in Boyahda. I do hit in abyssea with my WAR75, but the damage is erradic between 0 and normal

and, didnt they nerf that fortalice skilling? at least somebody said so in a group I was with

I used the fortalice about a month ago and still got decent skillups while I was at work. I put on the pitchfork from the Halloween event and whacked away at it all day. I got about 100 skills and never once killed it. For the record, I had sam level 20 capped polearm skill going in, so it was REALLY low.

I have been using Elsheenas > 170~200 and it is totally just eyeballing it and a placebo effect, but I feel like I am getting a substantial increase in skillups, both quantity and quality.

I'm not sure if I read it here or the ZAM forums, but someone mentioned going to Tahrongi, put on as much -pdt gear and use 3 regen atmas, pull one of the turtles and just whack away at it. I did this yesterday for about an hour while I was doing other stuff around the house. It is another afk method to skilling up. Although I saw greater results by pulling 4-5 mandies with retaliation up and just ws as often as possible.

Although slightly slow imo, Scythe just bores me, I went from 175-225 Scythe skill in a couple of hours yesterday doing the 2 above methods in Tahrongi. The best part was I was afk for a good chunk of the time.
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-11-30 09:25:49  
I've found that a good way to skill up is to cycle some Grounds of Valor pages until you get a couple levels of magic/combat skill gain prowess. Eat some high acc food and go to it.* Especially helpful if you can get into a party or bring along a higher level (for whatever page you're doing) person (that still gets xp, of course) to hold hate in order to keep your recovery/healing to a minimum.

*Or skillup food - I am all for it: even if it's just placebic,** especially if you get a few levels of accuracy prowess.

**Not sure if that's a word, but I like it. Also, not sure if the asterisks go before or after the comma, but I don't care.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2011-11-30 09:27:25  
Fortalice hasn't been nerfed. At least it wasn't two weeks ago. I haven't been back out to finish capping polearm and dagger yet though.

Edit: I've compared skillups in 30 minute intervals, and I do notice an increase in skillups with Elshena. I haven't used the others though.

Edit2: I'm waiting to gain more levels before I go back so I can tell exactly what level they will stop giving you skillups. Someone mentioned 76-78, but that's not accurate. Going to go back at around 85 to see how it goes.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-11-30 09:40:09  
On wiki it says you can skill up to 82 cap based on the level range for decent challenge. That is a really good starting point to be able to hit up Aby to skill up the rest of the way.
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2011-11-30 09:42:40  
Phoenix.Elspetta said: »
On wiki it says you can skill up to 82 cap based on the level range for decent challenge. That is a really good starting point to be able to hit up Aby to skill up the rest of the way.
That is very good news. I hadn't checked GE.