users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Recipe requests and curation
Recipe requests and curation
 Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sammitch
By Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch 2011-06-29 14:46:48  
It doesn't seem like the recipes have been updated in quite some time as most [if not all] recently added items are bereft of recipe information.

My suggestion would be to add a link to the recipe section for each item to allow users to submit recipes for items in a manner similar to how item sets are created. Submissions would be queued per item, and show the number of identical recipes submitted by distinct users. A curator can browse the queue and verify the most-submitted recipes against the wiki.

Links could also be added to existing recipes to allow users to submit corrections and/or updates such as ingredient changes/errors and main/sub skill level information.

Restrictions against spam/trolling would include a requirement for at least one verified character, a limit of X submissions per hour or day, the ability to ban users from the system, and a function to remove all submissions by a particular user from the queue.

I would imagine curators would be selected from FFXIAH community members active in the crafting forums.
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-06-29 15:08:26  
I like this idea...
Would help calculate profits etc
 Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sammitch
By Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch 2011-06-29 17:43:26  
Aside from calculating profits, I like to check the ingredients for expensive pieces to see if there's something I can farm and have it made cheaper.

But on the whole the recipes in FFXIAH have been stagnant for awhile since, as far as I understand, it's a pain in the *** to put them all in by hand and verify them. I figure that crowdsourcing the bulk of the entry, and having the part of the validation simply be more than one person enter the same recipe for an item it takes away alot of the tedium, and ensures that popular items get the recipes entered and/or corrected.

Another idea I just had relating to this to motivate people to go out and find items in need of recipes would be to give people who submit valid recipes some sort of points or other incentive.
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2011-06-29 17:48:39  
I already asked them for this here along with their reply. feel free to read their explanation a few posts below mine.