New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thief Evasion
Thief Evasion
 Sylph.Tearsofblood
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Tearsofblood 2011-06-22 16:23:27  
Re-gearing me thief after not playing it for awhile it use to be evasion skill then evasion but looking at sets now people go for streight evasion not evasion skill.
So my question is which is better + evasion skill or + evasion
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-22 16:26:56  
Skill takes time to proc, you're best off going with straight up evasion.
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-06-22 16:30:13  
1 Evasion is more than 1 Evasion skill (when you're capped).
 Fenrir.Cobblers
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Ntfc
By Fenrir.Cobblers 2011-06-22 16:31:32  
Personally evasion skill has always been better imo, I have no exact figures to prove it, just the fact its the only job I play and have played for years. But without turning this into an eva skill vs evasion thread, the game has changed big time in terms of evasion I guess. Now days you best form of defence is attack in most situations.

If you are simply asking what will help you evade more from my own personal experience evasion skill, especially regarding TP moves, but until S.E release something which actually says 1 is better than the other etc, this will always be something which splits opinion.

The best advice I can give you is try both, see what you think, most the evasion skill gear has crashed big time from say 1 year ago, get a feel for what you like the most and what works best in what situations etc etc and not what you're told should you have to wear, you can go as in depth as to your different builds more than ever now, so yeah.. just have a play.

Good Luck
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-22 16:35:17  
Id say the opposite evasion earring and torque have both gone up in price since abys release.
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-22 16:39:24  
The most excepted belief is that 1 evasion skill = 0.9 evasion stat when ABOVE 200 skill (just like every other combat skill works).
[+]
 Fenrir.Cobblers
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Ntfc
By Fenrir.Cobblers 2011-06-22 16:46:40  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Id say the opposite evasion earring and torque have both gone up in price since abys release.

Opposite on Fenrir,

Just another thing to note also when thinking about this. Most if not all evasion skill gear is simply that. As where much evasion gear also offers much in the way of other stats. You could sit in excess of 400+ skill with gear easy, but its a case of is it worth sacrificing acc/att etc for. It really is completely down to personal choice. If its a simply case of evading a mob and not factoring in anything else personally I would go evasion skill, but its not as simple as this and this is why I and most people who would agree with skill>evasion would still be using evasion in most situations, once again.. good luck and gn^^
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-22 16:50:25  
From every other thread I've seen discussing this, pretty much everyone agreed that the "skill>evasion" thing was just a rumor/myth that was never substantiated.
[+]
 Shiva.Msthief
サーバ: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-22 16:52:33  
I grew up and learned the game in skill>evasion but for all intensive purposes I consider them to be equal.

As a thief you already get 60 evasion, just get an evasion kila and you never have to worry about mobs hitting you again.
 Odin.Dezaar
サーバ: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-22 17:03:28  
I have capped Eva, use GH, Apoc and RR in Abyssea and mobs like Sobek and Briareus barley hit me in TP gear. Point, EVA once capped isnt really a big deal on MOST mobs as THF.

To answer the question, Ive always thought they were about the same and even posted this thread while back. people will argue that 1=1 BUT others will say its like 1=0.9

EVA+or EVA skill + until capped then focus on haste.
By Ska681 2011-06-22 17:09:07  
can agree w/ all the post here pretty much minus the dagger statement. also another thing to consider in you eva build is subtle blow. This wasnt as big until recently but now almost any job can reach cap subtle blow w/ the help from a whm or thf ability but taht ability doesnt work from tanking pos.
what most believe to be true
1eva skill=0.9 eva when above 200
eva skill>eva when applyed to TP moves
***2agi>1eva or eva skill because agi now is a second form of subtle blow applied after. With capped subtle blow and capped agi DIF you can reach 75% subtle blow effect.

***is known to be true released from wiki awhile back shortly after scars update was released i think

GOOD LUCK regearing
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-22 17:16:10  
Honestly, in anything except Heroes zones and Voidwatch, you'll have capped evasion in full TP gear. Even in Heroes zones, it would depend on the mob, anyways.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-22 17:17:19  
Ska681 said:
can agree w/ all the post here pretty much minus the dagger statement. also another thing to consider in you eva build is subtle blow. This wasnt as big until recently but now almost any job can reach cap subtle blow w/ the help from a whm or thf ability but taht ability doesnt work from tanking pos.
what most believe to be true
1eva skill=0.9 eva when above 200
eva skill>eva when applyed to TP moves
***2agi>1eva or eva skill because agi now is a second form of subtle blow applied after. With capped subtle blow and capped agi DIF you can reach 75% subtle blow effect.

***is known to be true released from wiki awhile back shortly after scars update was released i think

GOOD LUCK regearing
Why would evasion skill function any differently on a TP move compared to a normal attack. That belief baffles me.
 Leviathan.Mdkuser
サーバ: Leviathan
user: monchat
By Leviathan.Mdkuser 2011-06-23 03:48:09  
there has never been any proof of any kind that skill=0.9 evasion. in order to distinguish 0.9 from 1.0 you need an absurd amount of sample in your tests. Untill someone is willing to test these, 1 evasion = 1 skill.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-23 04:05:18  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Honestly, in anything except Heroes zones and Voidwatch, you'll have capped evasion in full TP gear. Even in Heroes zones, it would depend on the mob, anyways.

This. Lol @ noting Briareus, obviously you're going to have capped evasion fighting an NM meant to be fought by level 80s as a level 90. I usually never bother to use much evasion gear unless I'm in a Heroes zone, as Austar stated. Keep in mind not to neglect subtle blow, and that accuracy is always floored at 20%, so no matter how much evasion gear you have on they're still going to land 1/5 of their hits.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-23 06:06:23  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I believe it works like this.

Combat skill and evasion skill counter each other. Once you meet the mobs combat skill lvl evasion will be more potent than evasion skill. Until that point, evasion skill will be stronger than evasion.

But Austar is right, only a handful of old mobs with "high accuracy" in visions and scars would even need an (evasion set or evasion atma, Less than 5 NMs in abyssea need both, like a dd fighting bennu without a whm etc) capped and merited will be enough

Do mobs actually have combat skill? I was under the impression they just got solid accuracy and DEX numbers

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-23 06:29:06  
The way other combat skills work is by directly adding to other stats. If you increase skill with a weapon, it increases your attack and accuracy stats. There is no check between your combat skill and the mob's combat skill, just a check between your accuracy and its evasion (or vice versa). Accuracy is the opposing stat to evasion, and I believe it is safe to assume that their respective skills work in exactly the same way. 1 skill = 1 stat up to 200 skill, then 1 skill = 0.9 stat. It is most logical to believe it is set up this way, in which case the burden of proof would be on the argument against this.

I understand that weaponskills have higher accuracy, what I said was why would skill be magically more potent against a weaponskill? That makes no sense at all.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-23 07:34:55  
Cap your evasion skill and find a mob that your hit rate is not floored against. Parse several thousand attacks to get a base evade rate. Wear nothing but evasion skill+ gear (as much as you can get) and parse several thousand attacks against you. Then, take off the eva skill gear and replace it with an equal amount of eva stat gear, parse again. Compare results.

Note: Do not use multiple mobs at once. Use the same single mob for all 3 parses. You might need to bring someone to heal you, unless you do it in abyssea with regen atmas (in which case you will need a lot of TEs).
 Ragnarok.Deadgye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Deadgye
By Ragnarok.Deadgye 2011-06-24 06:13:14  
Quote:
there has never been any proof of any kind that skill=0.9 evasion. in order to distinguish 0.9 from 1.0 you need an absurd amount of sample in your tests. Untill someone is willing to test these, 1 evasion = 1 skill.

The proof is so old your statement makes me cringe. You don't need to parse that ***when you can easily use /check testing to prove it. (Which was done.)

Some believe that defensive skills operate differently than offensive skills however, which is a silly notion imo, but understandable.

These "theories" on our combat skill going against the mobs evasion skill are silly as well. Accuracy and Evasion are end results based on mathematical formulas. You just add up your evasion and match it against the mobs accuracy and you get your evade rate.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-24 06:27:41  
Ragnarok.Deadgye said:

The proof is so old your statement makes me cringe. You don't need to parse that ***when you can easily use /check testing to prove it. (Which was done.)

No there's never been any "proof" to what you claim. The last tests I recall pretty much determined that if skill does diminish in value after a certain level, the difference is so small that you can't notice it without an enormous sample size. The exact same reasoning 1 Magic skill =/= 1 Macc, if it does diminish, it's way too small to matter or even notice.

Leviathan.Mdkuser said:

^This. Wear whatever gives you more.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Felonius
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2011-06-29 12:41:39  
I might be completely wrong but if 1 evasion skill = 1 evasion, why would the developers make the distinction. I always thought since evasion skill items when equipped affect the number in your combat skill menu, that the calculations were applied on a base evasion and then modified evasion, ie. person with base evasion 210 and evasion+40 isn't the same as someone base evasion skill 240 and evasion+10. Otherwise there is no point in making a distinction, everything should just be evasion skill... no need for evasion+ or even anything called evasion.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [252 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Wyattdoc
サーバ: Asura
user: wyattdoc1
By Asura.Wyattdoc 2012-03-07 11:12:43  
Can anyone show me the best Evasion setup out there for thf Now. Thank you
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-07 11:15:45  
1.) cap haste
2.) toss in evasion in other slots
3.) boom!

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-03-07 11:35:40  
Best could be a buncha stuff.

*Most eva with 26 haste
*Most eva period
*Most eva+SB
*Eva+ -dt
Etc.

A simple raw maxed out eva set isnt really useful for very much. Eva is a tool to do a job. What the job is determines the set. DD tank(Haste/Eva), Super safe solo tank(Eva+SB), Utsu(Eva/FC/Spell intterupt), OH #$%&(Eva/-dt). Etc.

Thf really doesnt just need a simple +9000 eva set for anything. Nothing that you would ever realistically be tanking long enough to need capped eva is so accurate that you need 100% max eva. If it is, you sure as hell arent tanking it (ie: your in an alliance).

Its not the answer you want, but its the answer.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-07 11:37:53  

Probably this.

Total evasion +60.

If something is still hitting you you can offhand an evasion dagger, but I uh, seriously doubt that, especially after Exenterator.