users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Caladbolg setup for pld
Caladbolg setup for pld
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-06-17 01:22:47  
A lot of the gear that I use for my drk, my pld can't use. I'm struggling to find pieces with enough att on it since pld has major vit access. I don't have ares and doubt that I will any time soon or ever so that's not an option. Should I stack str over vit?
[+]
By Asura.Anookulchandra 2011-06-17 08:24:16  
Taw just because you can.... doesn't mean you should. Just stick to sword and shield.... Ochain+Almace=all you need.
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-06-17 08:52:15  
But I wanna!besides if I had those two pieces, I wouldn't bother with this question. I'm only doing this for fun not for pld. Perfection.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-17 08:58:35  
I'd have to see your other pieces but assuming you're on PLD youre going to have a massive deficit of attack. Stack mad attack.

Also: Almace.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-06-17 10:34:38  

Some thing i put together could use it inside and outside aby, has str+55 vit+57 and att+85 not including att you get from the str. Just add w/e ele gorget it is.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-17 10:37:54  
Odin.Creaucent said:
Some thing i put together could use it inside and outside aby, has str+55 vit+57 and att+85 not including att you get from the str. Just add w/e ele gorget it is.

I would use bibiki seashell if youre going to use vit in the ammo. Also, I prefer snow belt and gorget. If you need attack, you can also use anguinus belt instead.

*edited for redundancy of last sentence*
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-06-17 10:57:39  
Totally forgot about Oneiros pebble too vit+5 acc+5 dont think pld gets any Att+ ammo pieces. Though yeah all the other guys are right just because you can use the GS on pld doesnt mean you should id say just stay on drk and keep the capped att.
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-06-17 12:13:48  
Thanks for the tips. And again, this is just for playing around. No offense, but I really don't care weather people think I should or not.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-06-17 12:39:04  
I think this is the best you can get on PLD
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-06-17 13:51:12  
Well that is good since I have most of that. Since I can't get Ares anytime soon do you think I should get grim or stick with twilight?
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-06-17 13:56:38  
Odin.Sheelay said:
Moonshade Earring.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-06-17 13:59:07  
Grim by far especially on pld since you will be needing all the att you can get.
 Fenrir.Gradd
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-06-17 14:02:09  
PLD has such low attack I really think you would just be struggling the entire time trying to get decent Torcleaver numbers, not really worth the effort imo. :/

Almace can easily be finished 80 and 85 under a week, if you really care about PLD I recommend going that route.

Also unless you are 100% positive you are hitting the attack cap, I would use grim instead of twilight body. Torcleaver literally feeds off attack, if you don't have enough then your numbers are going to drop considerably.

The set Sheelay posted is pretty ideal, if you were to try this with PLD.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-06-17 15:23:44  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
Moonshade Earring.

Gawd, I keep forgetting about that one. I'll need to work on getting one when I get back to the game (soon enough!!!). Yeah, the TP Bonus augment is good for Cala.

Like Gradd said though, your biggest concern as PLD will be getting the Attack high enough.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-06-19 10:08:26  
i just complete Calabolg 85 today and its mainly for a toy for PLD for fun and alot of you say dont bother for a build for Torcleaver on PLD but i say do it if you want to

after i complete i put together gear i had already for other jobs, this is what i put togetger based on that

i know its not the best set to use but it certainly works, till i get better gear, also its fun for PLD and beats ground strike and spinning slash, also bbeats my vorpals on PLD since i never had a build for it

went to abyssea Mis and used Stoutt Arm, Mounted Champion and Alpha and Omega atmas, was was doing 2.5-5.7k, so i wanted to know the dmg out of abyssea so i tried and done 2.5-3.3k, was alao using bison steak for food, in abyssea my ATT was ~853 without temp items
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-07-22 10:58:28  

This is what I use screwing around. Neither my dark knight nor my paladin is ideally geared, but Caladbolg is definitely my "screwing around" Empyrean. Did it just because Carabosse/CC/Izzy path is easy and I've always liked great swords and felt they were underutilized.

Numbers aren't jaw-dropping, but they are decent. But It's fun to play with and I get decent returns.

Edit: Hey wow. Guess who can't be bothered to read a date on the last post? This guy. Sorry for the necrobump.
By volkom 2011-07-22 11:48:59  
doesn't pld need more attack for their torcleaver since they're kinda gimp in that department?
something like this ?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-07-22 11:54:22  
If that's toward me, then yes. It could use some changes to be ideal. I thought I made that clear.

But I use it so seldomly on paladin that it's not really a priority for my currently-limited playtime. Though I am slowly working toward finishing Salvage sets that never got finished and finishing WOTG. I was just chiming in on the conversation. And then realized I was chiming in a month late. :x

Edit: Though thinking about it, some of the changes you made from my set are a little off. Swapping the Spiral for a Terrasoul actually lowers your attack to put in 2 VIT. And the tumbler trunks add attack but take out 7 STR/VIT. The ammo is certainly an upgrade, as is the WOTG earring and Ares's body.
By volkom 2011-07-22 12:05:22  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said:
If that's toward me, then yes. It could use some changes to be ideal. I thought I made that clear.

But I use it so seldomly on paladin that it's not really a priority for my currently-limited playtime. Though I am slowly working toward finishing Salvage sets that never got finished and finishing WOTG. I was just chiming in on the conversation. And then realized I was chiming in a month late. :x

Edit: Though thinking about it, some of the changes you made from my set are a little off. Swapping the Spiral for a Terrasoul actually lowers your attack to put in 2 VIT. And the tumbler trunks add attack but take out 7 STR/VIT. The ammo is certainly an upgrade, as is the WOTG earring and Ares's body.

it wasn't at you, it was just in general, pld's attack rating just blows...so if you plan on using atmas to make up for it or eating red curry buns...then i'd assume the ws build has to have more attack
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-07-22 12:10:53  

Spitballing an ideal set here. TP augment on Moonshade. Potentially augment up the hecatomb subligar +1 as well.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-07-22 12:45:26  
volkom said:
Bismarck.Ramyrez said:
If that's toward me, then yes. It could use some changes to be ideal. I thought I made that clear. But I use it so seldomly on paladin that it's not really a priority for my currently-limited playtime. Though I am slowly working toward finishing Salvage sets that never got finished and finishing WOTG. I was just chiming in on the conversation. And then realized I was chiming in a month late. :x Edit: Though thinking about it, some of the changes you made from my set are a little off. Swapping the Spiral for a Terrasoul actually lowers your attack to put in 2 VIT. And the tumbler trunks add attack but take out 7 STR/VIT. The ammo is certainly an upgrade, as is the WOTG earring and Ares's body.
it wasn't at you, it was just in general, pld's attack rating just blows...so if you plan on using atmas to make up for it or eating red curry buns...then i'd assume the ws build has to have more attack
How does PLD's attack rating blow any more than any job that is not a DRK (Doesn't have multiple levels of Attack Bonus)?

Edit: B Skill Rating, thought it was A-
By volkom 2011-07-22 12:49:55  
Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
volkom said:
Bismarck.Ramyrez said:
If that's toward me, then yes. It could use some changes to be ideal. I thought I made that clear. But I use it so seldomly on paladin that it's not really a priority for my currently-limited playtime. Though I am slowly working toward finishing Salvage sets that never got finished and finishing WOTG. I was just chiming in on the conversation. And then realized I was chiming in a month late. :x Edit: Though thinking about it, some of the changes you made from my set are a little off. Swapping the Spiral for a Terrasoul actually lowers your attack to put in 2 VIT. And the tumbler trunks add attack but take out 7 STR/VIT. The ammo is certainly an upgrade, as is the WOTG earring and Ares's body.
How does PLD's attack rating blow any more than any job that is not a DRK (Doesn't have multiple levels of Attack Bonus)?

Edit: B Skill Rating, thought it was A-

yeah the combat skill is lower and it doesn't have attack bonus traits
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-07-22 13:07:30  
I was more comparing it to jobs in general, but using a weapon that is not PLD's main and comparing it to jobs using main weapons makes no sense. But looking at only DRK vs. PLD yeah I agree.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-07-22 13:07:41  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said:

VIT is nice and all (When attack is capped) but if you don't have the attack to back that VIT up your numbers are going to drop dramatically, attack is the biggest benefactor to Torcleaver, and the first thing you should be focusing on especially on PLD. DRKs have a little more leeway because of Last Resort and Attack bonus V, but on anything with defense thats worth a damn even for a DRK its more beneficial to stack attack than it is VIT.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-07-22 13:33:58  
Fenrir.Gradd said:
VIT is nice and all (When attack is capped) but if you don't have the attack to back that VIT up your numbers are going to drop dramatically, attack is the biggest benefactor to Torcleaver, and the first thing you should be focusing on especially on PLD. DRKs have a little more leeway because of Last Resort and Attack bonus V, but on anything with defense thats worth a damn even for a DRK its more beneficial to stack attack than it is VIT.

Right. But that's kind of what I'm saying. The Terrasoul replacing the spiral in the gear switch actually -lowers- attack. And while the tumbler trunks are more attack than Jingang, Jingang does have 7 str/vit and both are sort of trumped by properly augmented Heca+1.
 Leviathan.Cycerath
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Cycerath
By Leviathan.Cycerath 2011-08-07 23:48:37  
which would be better, snow gorget or apathy gorget?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-08 00:30:18  
Snow is better if you don't have the TP bonus earring, once you get the Earring Apathy starts to pull ahead, pretty sure that's how Returner put it anyways.