Game: FFXI
user: HydroFoxx
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 01:42:06  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Fenrir.Enternius said:
100% Magic Crit Rate = +10 MAB

3% Magic Crit Rate = .3 MAB

1 INT > .3 MAB
It's not actually .3 MAB, you have to take in consideration the bonus from +2 BLM hands.
its not actually .3mab anyway
its 3% greater chance to get the extra 10mab (10mab with no increase magic critical damage gear)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 01:47:46  
Asura.Kosmik said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Fenrir.Enternius said:
100% Magic Crit Rate = +10 MAB

3% Magic Crit Rate = .3 MAB

1 INT > .3 MAB
It's not actually .3 MAB, you have to take in consideration the bonus from +2 BLM hands.
its not actually .3mab anyway
its 3% greater chance to get the extra 10mab (10mab with no increase magic critical damage gear)
10*0.03=0.3
[+]
 Asura.Kosmik
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 01:51:11  
you're trying to equate it as an increase to damage
it is an increase to rate
by using it, you aren't increasing the damage of the crit, rather the frequency of it

edit:
after the last grip thread month or two ago, i decided to use the bugard for a week, and then the wise for a week
i def crit more using the wise
crit damage was relatively the same using bugard, but happened much less
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-05-31 01:55:29  
Asura.Kosmik said:
you're trying to equate it as an increase to damage
it is an increase to rate
by using it, you aren't increasing the damage of the crit, rather the frequency of it
No, he's equating it as a total increase over time, which is the only way to compare it to a piece with a static value.
[+]
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 01:59:46  
well if you need that 1 int, go for it
as a taru, sacrificing that 1 int isn't a very big deal for me just to see the extra couple hundred dmg from a crit more often

like a couple other people have said, the values are all miniscule
really comes down to personal preference
try out each for awhile, see which you like better
 Bismarck.Gael
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2011-05-31 02:07:58  
To compare 2 grips, you cant compare a dmg with a frequency. You must compare 2 dmg, that why we convert the frequency into a DOT.

Even if you like big numbers, this grip will always lost against an int grip, because your dot will be better with an int grip.

About the af 3 hands : according to wiki, the +1 adds 3 MAB on crits for a total of +13. Assuming the +2 gives you 5 MAB instead of 3, for a total of +15, there is no real change about the fact that the int grip wins.

Note that it wont be true if you have the Genesis Locket, assuming it adds a minimum of +2 mab to critical magic dmg
[+]
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 02:21:50  
yes you are right about that, the bugard will give a few extra dmg on every nuke.
only takes 2 casts to see that.
i just prefer to see the crits more often more than i care about that <10 damage. (was around 6 dmg on the higher tier spells i believe, cant find the paper i recorded on)

so just randomly throwing something out there;
if i cast say 5 spells on some mob or nm whatever, if i'm getting the say 6 dmg per spell extra from the bugard, i'm getting 30 extra dmg.
one crit out of those 5 will trump that.
wise just increases the chance that will happen
if no crit, that 30 dmg sacrificed from not using bugard still isn't really such a huge loss
 Bismarck.Gael
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2011-05-31 02:26:34  
(ninja edited my last msg to add a precision)
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-05-31 03:04:38  
i bought the wise strip cause i was like excited i found some nice expensive blm grib to her >.< and now when i see the math i feel dumb...

She wears fulld blm afv3+2
heccate earring
the mage ring from cop
witch sash

she as pretty good gear just lack novio for other earring
and another ring and grip really.

im thinkin of getting the ring int6 +1 mab from the vnm dragon or just buy the int +7 ring until then
 Sylph.Rorrick
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-05-31 03:19:59  
Asura.Kosmik said:
yes you are right about that, the bugard will give a few extra dmg on every nuke.
only takes 2 casts to see that.
i just prefer to see the crits more often more than i care about that <10 damage. (was around 6 dmg on the higher tier spells i believe, cant find the paper i recorded on)

so just randomly throwing something out there;
if i cast say 5 spells on some mob or nm whatever, if i'm getting the say 6 dmg per spell extra from the bugard, i'm getting 30 extra dmg.
one crit out of those 5 will trump that.
wise just increases the chance that will happen
if no crit, that 30 dmg sacrificed from not using bugard still isn't really such a huge loss

ITT 3% = 1/5

You'd have to cast ~27 more times (on average) to get one crit. In those 33 casts, you'd gain 990 damage (using your own number). One crit will not add that much.
[+]
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 03:40:07  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
You'd have to cast ~27 more times (on average) to get one crit. In those 33 casts, you'd gain 990 damage (using your own number). One crit will not add that much.

thing is, i'm not casting 33 times on one mob/nm
i'd rather have the greater chance to crit on one of the fewer casts
just because it is a 3% (11%, 13% if you gonna throw a witch sash in) doesn't mean that it is always surely just 3 (11, 13) out of 100 casts, i've had back to back crits on numerous occasions
granted blm is the only job i play, so i cast much more than a casual or situational blm would, so i get to see these crits far more often
Edit: i wont deny that i've had sorta long stretchs without a crit though also

either way, like i said they are both miniscule values
if you like the little bit of extra dmg per spell, go with bugard
if you like to see your crits a bit more often, wise is not an unwise decision

edit again: i'm not a huge math person, can probably tell, im more of the experimentation type
i do test out everything i use pretty extensively though
 Ramuh.Kailana
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2011-05-31 04:01:36  
Currently I use either a pax grip for -enmity, or the elemental accuracy grips, but wise strap is the one i'm saving for since there's been like one sale of the vivid strap in the entire history of bahamuts AH. Really interesting to see the math involved in this thread.

Wasn't sure if I should give up the 1 int from bugards, and I had a few extra merit points left over and haven't maxed out my stat merit category yet, so I put one into INT. problem solved! xD
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-05-31 04:12:37  
Asura.Kosmik said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:

thing is, i'm not casting 33 times on one mob/nm
i'd rather have the greater chance to crit on one of the fewer casts
just because it is a 3% (11%, 13% if you gonna throw a witch sash in) doesn't mean that it is always surely just 3 (11, 13) out of 100 casts, i've had back to back crits on numerous occasions
granted blm is the only job i play, so i cast much more than a casual or situational blm would, so i get to see these crits far more often
Edit: i wont deny that i've had sorta long stretchs without a crit though also

either way, like i said they are both miniscule values
if you like the little bit of extra dmg per spell, go with bugard
if you like to see your crits a bit more often, wise is not an unwise decision

edit again: i'm not a huge math person, can probably tell, im more of the experimentation type
i do test out everything i use pretty extensively though

We're only talking about the 3% from the grip. The increases from other pieces/traits don't matter. Cognition Belt is better than Witch Sash for the same reason Bugard Strap +1 is better than Wise strap.

It also doesn't matter if you nuke the same thing 33 times or 33 things once each. Over 33 nukes, you'll get 990 extra damage out of the Bugard strap. One (extra) crit every 33 nukes will not overcome that.

Your anecdotal evidence is worth nothing in the face of math. You've critted twice in a row, congratulations. I've strung four or five together with just Hecate's Earring. Go buy a lottery ticket, because those are statistical outliers. If the gain was larger on the Wise strap it would probably be better, but 3% is not enough. If you're content to do less damage over time, that's fine, but mathematically it isn't better.

Edit: I think Kailana was joking, but just to be clear, that doesn't solve the problem. You're still one INT shy of where you'd be if you were using Bugard+1 with your INT merits.
[+]
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 04:20:12  
Ramuh.Kailana said:
Currently I use either a pax grip for -enmity, or the elemental accuracy grips, but wise strap is the one i'm saving for since there's been like one sale of the vivid strap in the entire history of bahamuts AH. Really interesting to see the math involved in this thread.

Wasn't sure if I should give up the 1 int from bugards, and I had a few extra merit points left over and haven't maxed out my stat merit category yet, so I put one into INT. problem solved! xD

i have the pax in a low dmg/low enmity set that i had made before the days of the discernment abyssite for staggers in aby.
that set was pretty useful back then, but not so much anymore with discernment since you only have to cast 4 spells rather than 12.
i still use the set when trying to stagger anyway tho for the hell of it.
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-05-31 04:35:18  
Start your cast in vivid strap, swap to w/e strap you like before the cast goes off, best of both worlds. Get what works for you and the rest of the jobs that you have that can gain from your choice if inventory is an issue.
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 04:40:17  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
It also doesn't matter if you nuke the same thing 33 times or 33 things once each. Over 33 nukes, you'll get 990 extra damage out of the Bugard strap. One (extra) crit every 33 nukes will not overcome that.
why does damage dealt to one mob matter for another?

even rolling with that though, 990 damage over 33 nukes is still a tiny number
yea 1 crit out of those 33 wont beat it but 5 will
sure that wont happen all the time, but again as i said, i'd rather have the better chance for it to happen more than i care about a lousy 990 damage over 33 nukes
 Asura.Kosmik
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-05-31 04:54:21  
and wait a sec anyway lol
6 extra damage per spell * 33 spells isn't 990 anyway lol

bugard not gonna give you 30 more dmg per spell
that 30 i used was total extra from 5 spells
 Ramuh.Yarly
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-05-31 04:54:58  
Ramuh.Kailana said:
Wasn't sure if I should give up the 1 int from bugards ... so I put one into INT. problem solved! xD

Thanks for the tip. Now I won't have to worry about bugard strap anymore! xD
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-31 05:28:34  
Something that hasn't been addressed and probably should be:
INT vs. Crit. vs. Elemental Magic skill is all great when you're nit picking down to the nearest damage, but!
In all honesty, how much MP and time are you going to save when you do a few more points of damage? Unless we're talking the difference between a Tier V and a Tier 1 to kill or a Tier V one shotting, it doesn't matter when concerning normal mobs.

For fighting NMs with a little more HP, how much MP are you conserving for the battle as a whole? Resisted spells cost you another spell. Lost damage costs you another spell. Critical hit spells save you spells, but are do they proc per NM or only every other NM?

For me, 13% crit rate, I see at least one proc of crit per NM, saving me effectively the casting of a Tier IV spell, both the MP and the time. Can 1 INT do that also?
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-31 05:36:47  
Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
INT vs. Crit. vs. Elemental Magic skill is all great when you're nit picking down to the nearest damage, but!
In all honesty, how much MP and time are you going to save when you do a few more points of damage? Unless we're talking the difference between a Tier V and a Tier 1 to kill or a Tier V one shotting, it doesn't matter when concerning normal mobs.

For fighting NMs with a little more HP, how much MP are you conserving for the battle as a whole? Resisted spells cost you another spell. Lost damage costs you another spell. Critical hit spells save you spells, but are do they proc per NM or only every other NM?

For me, 13% crit rate, I see at least one proc of crit per NM, saving me effectively the casting of a Tier IV spell, both the MP and the time. Can 1 INT do that also?
please show me the grip with 13% crit rate
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-31 05:42:17  
Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:

How can you compare 13% crit rate vs 1 INT, when the difference with the grip is 3% vs 1 INT?
In the long run, the 1 INT does more dmg.

Edit: Well actually, I kinda forgot af3+2 gloves.
The dmg should be similar, but Bugard should still win for consistancy.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-05-31 07:22:53  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Vivid strap+1 for sure.

looks liek this one is this truely the best blm grip for nuking ? i will spare no expense for it.

or is there a better alternative i mean buggard is also +1 in but this one wil lave fastcast 1% also so it kinda a fraktion better right ?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-31 07:37:27  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
See I've been wondering for awhile now about critical hit dmg. There are so many pieces and atmas with + critical hit dmg and one or more of them could be amazingly strong and help turn the balance in this issue.

Has anyone tested any of them? For all we know one of them could "increase total nuke dmg while critical hit procs by 50%" or something
even at that point what standard atma would you use it over?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-05-31 09:01:45  
Does anyone know what the latent req are for Ossa grip?
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-31 09:06:23  
Asura.Tawhoya said:
Does anyone know what the latent req are for Ossa grip?

No but suggestions as to what it could be

hp/mp/tp trigger
using ice spells possibly on iceday or ice weather
Possibly only procs if conserve mp or magic crit hit happens?

I still personally wouldnt bother buying one, inventory issue.
 Cerberus.Kaht
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-31 09:11:24  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said:
looks liek this one is this truely the best blm grip for nuking ? i will spare no expense for it.

or is there a better alternative i mean buggard is also +1 in but this one wil lave fastcast 1% also so it kinda a fraktion better right ?

Take a look here:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/19051/vivid-strap-1

Click on the cross-server prices link. It's been sold on 6 of the 16 servers, and it's been ingame for months now. Good luck finding one.
[+]
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-05-31 09:14:37  
Asura.Kosmik said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:
why does damage dealt to one mob matter for another?

even rolling with that though, 990 damage over 33 nukes is still a tiny number
yea 1 crit out of those 33 wont beat it but 5 will
sure that wont happen all the time, but again as i said, i'd rather have the better chance for it to happen more than i care about a lousy 990 damage over 33 nukes
Oh, what a wonderful world we live in where we can transcend statistical values.

Edit: It doesn't matter if you're fighting one mob, 10 mobs, or 100 mobs. Averages are there no matter what.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-31 09:15:57  
Would be easier to get t3 pop dawon and kill nm urself then find a crafter possibly. This item doesnt ah I believe, dawon pelt I think is the main mat and most crafters wouldnt be on the look out for this item imo unless theyre wanting to hq strap for themselves id imagine.