users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Monk's Maat Fight
Monk's Maat Fight
 Ragnarok.Kiine
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Kiine
By Ragnarok.Kiine 2011-05-11 09:52:51  
Remember, if you are intent upon boosting for chi, you must have your Temple Gloves equipped during and at firing point in order to maximize your damage.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-05-11 10:37:45  
I did this, and I went 1/1:

Meds: I think just 2-3 of the cheaper kind of potions, a regen drink, and an Icarus wing.

Gear: Hell, I think I just used AF with Feral Fangs. I think I also may have borrowed some Elusive Earrings.

Food: Carbonara

I boosted about 2 or 3 times, used my regen drink and Dodge, then Chi Blasted. I DID NOT Hundred Fists at the start, nor did I WS right at the start. I simply just meleed him down, using my potions to keep my HP fairly high. I think I held my TP as well, but I'm not sure (this was 7 or so years ago). Basically the point is to delay his 2 hr- spike damage tends to cause him to use his, and if he uses his from the start you're more likely to lose unless you get lucky.

As soon as he 2 houred, I used my WS->Icarus wing->WS, then used my own 2 hr (this might have been in reverse order). You should be able to kill him before he kills you.

Given how cheap Vile elixirs are nowadays, I would actually go ahead and get one of those instead of, or in addition to, the crappy potions I used when I did it.

Ragnarok.Kiine said:
Remember, if you are intent upon boosting for chi, you must have your Temple Gloves equipped during and at firing point in order to maximize your damage.

You do need them when you boost, but not when you fire. That said, I would not recommend using a strong Chi Blast at the start because that tends to provoke him.
By AsuraVanzan 2011-05-11 12:07:35  
IIRC:

Boost x 6
Blink Band
Stoneskin Torque (if you have one)
Focus
Dodge
Turn away
Engage
Chi Blast
Turn and fight till 100 tp, weaponskill, by now it's time to use meds. Use meds to close to 100% hp, use hundred fists, weaponskill, use wing, weaponskill again. If he isn't dead or given up by now, pray you brought enough meds to outlast him.

I had trouble with this fight too but this is the strategy that finally worked for me in the end.

Ninja edit: Spartan Cest, O Hat, SH & I don't remember the rest. Don't use haste gear during hundred fists and make sure you test your macros beforehand.
 Asura.Tot
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Tot 2011-05-11 12:30:33  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGUgYA49tg
check it out,
iirc my h2h skill was only that of which you get howling fist
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-05-11 12:38:21  
Make sure you remove any armour that has -eva on it.
 Fenrir.Didgist
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-05-11 14:10:37  
Eat Food.
Sleep to 100tp.
You can Boost but I only did as many as it took to run up to him and get situated.
Get behind him.
Use all of your normal job abilities except for Counterstance. I repeat, no Counterstance.
Fire Hundred Fists.
Engage facing him and immediately Howling Fist, very important to get the WS off before you swing. This is the most important part of the fight.
TP to 100 and Howling Fist.
Use Icarus Wing and Howling Fist again.
He will be done and if not your next 2-3 strikes will finish him off.

This requires no HP meds. The advantage is that when you engage and WS you immediately start swinging, maximizing the potential of your Hundred Fists. Chi Blast, not facing him etc. only slows down your damage, and the trick to MNK Maat is to have him down before he even has a chance. A big Chi Blast at the beginning will only make him use his two hour when you are tp'ing and not after your second WS as in the case with this strategy.

Good luck.

EDIT: Use attack food/gear. This was my last Maat so I had really horrible gear on.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-11 14:11:53  
I did Mnk Maat at 90 and didn't even get to WS before he died :(.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Bbqhamster
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bbqhamster 2011-05-11 14:26:44  
When I was going for my Maat cap, I was dared to try different things, such as polearm on SAM and Axe/shield on WAR.
On MNK, I was dared to do it with a staff. That's right, a staff. And I did it at 66.
My strat:
Eat a yellow curry bun in a party of 4, then enter BC with that extra full hp.
Use blink band
Sleep to 100 tp
Boost 6 times (Only want to sting Maat a little with Chi blast, not do massive damage)
Walk about 5 steps from Maat, turn around, engage, focus, dodge, then chi blast
Face him to attack
Full Swing --> Icarus wing --> Full Swing = Fusion
Hundred Fists
Chakra

Only meds used were an ic wing, blink band, and sleep potions. Also, use a good melee staff if you try this route, not one of those elemental staves. I think I used a battle staff
By mastermago 2011-05-11 16:52:15  
Ok, tried this morning, only thing I changed was bought a blink band and stoneskin torque. I thought they would be totally useless for the fight, but I figured if I could save a few hits for my paralyze to proc, it might give me the extra time I need to win. Also forgot to swap out the band and torque with my normal gear before chi blasting, and I totally forgot I had chakra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstDKqXWUZc

Thanks for the help everyone, off to level 75 and above!
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-11 16:53:18  
Congrats ~
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-11 17:14:22  
grats dude