Can The Links Be Put Back To FFXIclopedia?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 16:59:39  
Shiva.Mohit said:
Will new stuff get updated on old wiki? Not minor stuff but major page and format changes? Is there anyone that can do that?

Example:

Sobek been around awhile now. Obviously people will continue to update Sobek with drop rates and other stuff people feel like adding, including the talk page.

Now SE creates a new NM called "Awesome Sauce." Will it take weeks before someone bothers to add it to old wiki were GE will have it updated cause they have dedicated editors?

Or maybe in the case of a new set of missions. How long would it take before someone adds all the new missions? Is there an editor on old wiki?

Can the old wiki team examine entries on old wiki and add them to GE?

Well with the update, my personal first priority has been the new items and article pages for the new features. I've been getting osme of the NM pages up in the last day or two but I'm limited in the information I can add when I haven't seen the NM myself yet. You can be sure of one thing though- I don't have time to update both and so my own effort will be directed at GE. Things like articles with lots of text are the easiest things for me to add personally, so something like a new set of missions or quests is one of the first things besides new items that we'd have up.

As far as design, visitors to the old site can make up new templates and layout stuff if they want, but Wikia limits what you can do to the appearance of the site as a whole. In addition, at least in the short term there will be no one to delete bad articles or move pages with bad names to the correct one while preserving history.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-05-16 17:01:37  
i think my main problem with ffxicylopedia was that it had charitwo

now they've fixed that problem, and GE has picked that problem up

i know who my sympathies lie with
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 17:04:47  
If you're going to choose your site based on which one has your least favorite person, then why are you here when Flionheart is here? :D

<3 <3
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-05-16 17:06:08  
flion and i are in the throes of an intense bromance

i mean that's pretty much why i'm here
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 17:21:09  
Sevourn is my bahama mamma
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-17 13:39:16  
At least for the time being, this only applies to the wiki for FFXI, but by popular demand, a liquid-width skin is now available as an option.
Click here to preview, use your wiki preferences to switch.
 Phoenix.Vael
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-05-17 17:07:02  
You know what I really hate, them screens that scroll like that in front of a background. Who ever thought that looked good? Really that was when Wikia started looking like crap.
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-17 18:24:43  
Phoenix.Vael said:
You know what I really hate, them screens that scroll like that in front of a background. Who ever thought that looked good? Really that was when Wikia started looking like crap.
Never really bothered me. But what's the alternative? Either no background at all, or having the backgorund scroll, with the latter being the worst option.
By Instant 2011-05-17 21:44:25  
Gamer Escape (standard)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wikia (modified with a css fix and Adblock Plus):

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally I like the wikia more the way I've tweaked it.
I have to admit though that GE doesn't look as bad as a standard wikia.
However, due to the need of both plugins for Firefox and a css fix, some people (who still run Internet Explorer >_<), would probably find Gamer Escape more appealing and accessible.
I'm going to be checking on GE periodically though, just to see how their site evolves towards a more wiki styled one, hoping to see less content gaps too.

Long rant surmised into 1 line:

Use what you like best. :)
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-17 22:04:53  
Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
At least for the time being, this only applies to the wiki for FFXI, but by popular demand, a liquid-width skin is now available as an option.

TY, so much nicer ^^
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-18 00:10:58  
Instant: We added a non-fixed skin for the wiki, as I already stated above- as that's obviously what you prefer. :p
By Instant 2011-05-18 02:35:47  
Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Instant: We added a non-fixed skin for the wiki, as I already stated above- as that's obviously what you prefer. :p

Perfect.
/em registers an account.
/em adds another "+" to GE:

+ Developers that actually listen to user input.

=D
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-21 02:59:00  
Since you've added links to multiple sources for the item database, I'd like to request that you give the user assault/atma/abyssite lists the same treatment.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-21 03:39:52  
Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
wow, I'll switch from monobook to FFXI_Fluid now. I love the width.

yes.. not bad at all
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-21 03:52:31  
Click the images to enlarge, or right click view image

I gotta say, when you look at GE vs Wikia, Wikia's layout has much warmer colors, but when I look at the allowed width without any CSS changes Wikia's is laughable.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-29 23:18:15  
From my site updates thread in the chatterbox-

The log in menu accessible from all parts of the site in the top right corner of the page should now correctly log you in to all parts of the site. You no longer need to use the wiki log-in page to get logged in.

We sincerely apologize for the excessively long time it took to get this fixed, and we hope that this makes the site work better for everyone.

Please continue to give us your feedback. :)

Additionally, the YouTube extension has been restored and now all the video embeds across the wiki should render now :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-06-28 12:50:18  
A lot of pages for which we use a different naming convention have had redirects created to be compatible with FFXIAH. I'm just wrapping up all the Fiendish Tomes now. :p
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-06-28 12:55:11  
Would be nice to port over that wikia background image as its 100x better than whats on GE... just sayin'...
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-06-28 13:06:34  
Bahamut.Dannyl said:
Would be nice to port over that wikia background image as its 100x better than whats on GE... just sayin'...
Actually, we got a fair bit of feedback complaining that it looked like something you'd find on Geocities, so Gani decided not to use it. Though compression due to Wikia's size limit did make it look almost like a GIF...

(I did ask the artist to do another version with the characters all in appropriate colors for their AF, but he doesn't seem to have gotten around to it...)