hello all
Has anyone got any tip's to skill Guard skill up? ^.^
[+]
 Valefor.Houppelande
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Houppelande 2011-04-27 16:29:53  
Hi

You may wanna just take a few minutes, and browse other MNK threads in these forums because I know this question has been asked. GL
[+]
 Valefor.Pewpeww
サーバ: Valefor
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-04-29 00:08:55  
Question, what atmas do i pair up with /dnc to make farming mandy's for guard skillups in attowa easy?/ saw a mnk solo'ing 5-6 other day was wondering what atmas
 Ragnarok.Akuji
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-04-29 00:12:24  
Mounted Champion
Vicissitude
Zenith
Adamantine
Stronghold

Those are all decent regen/defense atmas for guard skilling, make sure you pack on as much -eva and PDT- as possible.
[+]
 Bismarck.Eburo
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-04-29 01:06:31  
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Question, what atmas do i pair up with /dnc to make farming mandy's for guard skillups in attowa easy?/ saw a mnk solo'ing 5-6 other day was wondering what atmas

I like to go to Tahrongi as WAR for this, and most commonly use Atma of the Stronghold/Mounted Champion/Sea Daughter, and tank around 8 mandies, and just spam the hell out of Curing Waltz III. Mind you this is with only about 15% PDT. >.> Fulltiming Defender also.

Sea Daughter is helpful for its extreme regen during the day, but even at night you get 5 TP regain, which is helpful for spamming Curing Waltz. Also I'm sure you'll take less damage than me as WAR considering you will be guarding attacks.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-29 01:09:14  
Guard is pointless unless you're OCD over blue numbers.
[+]
 Phoenix.Hellcatt
サーバ: Phoenix
user: hellcatt
By Phoenix.Hellcatt 2011-04-29 01:30:40  
@ Flionheart somone with jobs as low as yours and gear like your's would say that
guard gives alot less dmg takein and allows the mnk evade many things more than somone w/o cap skill.read up on what your talking about b4 you speak up.

inb4 somone brings up my bad spelling etc.
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-29 01:54:44  
Phoenix.Hellcatt said:
@ Flionheart somone with jobs as low as yours and gear like your's would say that

guard gives alot less dmg takein and allows the mnk evade many things more than somone w/o cap skill.read up on what your talking about b4 you speak up.

Commenting over gear or job levels is pointless since Flion or anyone else on forums could be well aware of a Job's traits and skills without having them levelled.

As for the remaining part of your post,
Inb4 someone like Tigerwoods proves you that guard is futile as of now due to the level gab between relevant mobs and Monks.

Had you read the MNK forums like you are suggesting Flion to do, you'd know that already. That being said, I'd still level guard but solely for the blue box.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Helixx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Helixx
By Lakshmi.Helixx 2011-04-29 02:20:35  
The Problem with guard skill is, that the proc rate does not go up as skills go up (on targets that you would need to guard on: NM's).

A good place to skillup would be attowa chasm. Take a couple of Chigoes and have a Healer back you up. Or just fight them individually.
 Phoenix.Degs
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-29 02:29:53  
There is a very good guide on the wiki page for guard... and guard for mnk and pup is far from pointless, if you have it capped, (which it is very difficult to do so), is very much worth it, its proc rate is very effective in lowering dmg taken.

basically what people have said, throw on alot of -eva gear.. and agro a bunch of mandies, and have a field day... just try to have some one either cure you or be able to cure yourself, and you can get alot of skillups
 Asura.Echandra
サーバ: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-04-29 03:42:17  
Odin.Sheelay said:
Phoenix.Hellcatt said:

Commenting over gear or job levels is pointless since Flion or anyone else on forums could be well aware of a Job's traits and skills without having them levelled.

As for the remaining part of your post,
Inb4 someone like Tigerwoods proves you that guard is futile as of now due to the level gab between relevant mobs and Monks.

Had you read the MNK forums like you are suggesting Flion to do, you'd know that already. That being said, I'd still level guard but solely for the blue box.

I'll second this based on my jobs leveled, shitty gears, and general lack of knowledge about guard? Leveling guard is pointless. If you get guard skill ups, right on, but I sure wouldn't invest much time in it unless you like the color blue.

As for "how" >>> train (not claim) a bunch of mobs like Chigoe/Mandy yoink them somewhere you can target a different mob, face them and let them beat the crap out of you until you counter them to death. Your healer can cure without fear of hate, unless they do something stupid like /heal in range of the mobs and get aggro. Slap on your - evas gears, pdt whatnot, etc and be prepared for bore-dumb.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-04-29 04:26:44  
Phoenix.Hellcatt said:

He's read many a thread here to know that. Gear/job is irrelevant. You immediately lose your argument when you pull that card.

Capping the skill doesn't give you a massive guard rate, it's almost floored on high level stuff, you'd only see occasional procs on even match enemies or lower, +skill similar to +shield for PLDs would be needed, that and the damage reduction from guard is way below that of a shield. Throw in counterstance being up almost 100% of the time, and you'll almost never see it.

Cap the skill if you have nothing else to do, but getting your Empyrean weapon/armor should come first.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Appie
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-04-29 11:31:09  
Been blue for ages in 75 cap, saw a wooping 9 levels of skill up since cap went from 75 to 90. It will be blue again one day, but that isn't because it is such a useful skill, but because I have over 500 stones to burn and my Emp weapon group is sorta on its *** :/