フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Empyrean Crossroads
Empyrean Crossroads
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-25 11:32:45  
My low man group has a system worked out. We have everyone pick an empyrean and then systematically make them for each person. Soon here we will be coming upon my turn in round 2.

My three choices would be DRG WAR or another DRK (i have calad). I have absolutely no interest in using an inferior WS to trigger aftermath on DRG (and losing multihit jumps) so DRG is out.

I absolutely despise being on WAR. I am aware of the high damage output and surviveability, but i do not enjoy the job. I leveled warrior for the utilitarian purpose of triggering more !! with our low man group. However, our resident 6th wheel just got his mnk to 90 and finished black belt. IE - I don't need to do staff/club to prevent the whm from trying to loltp. Our ninja and mnk both have event polearm.

That being said: I am free to be on dark knight instead of warrior now (which i much much prefer). I am just looking for people who have the ability to use Quietus (or Redemption in particular) to discuss the scythe here. I will most likely only be using the scythe in the situation that the monster has rediculous defense (Ulhuadashi comes to mind).

in B4 loldrk or comments on ukko from people who didnt read OP through.

tl;dr: sell me on the pro's of making a redemption for someone who already owns a caladbolg.

*edit* Post 666 : O
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-25 12:13:49  
Or at least discuss the theory of quietus if you don't have it :x
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-04-25 12:21:21  
From what I've read, quietus is garbage compared to torcleaver, and you'd just be wasting your time with it. Drk is going to be amazing come the next update, assuming desperate blows is not nerfed. Do you have any other jobs you'd like to get serious about? To me it sounds like you'd be wasting yours and everyone else's time by making one of these 3 choices.

edit: I see you have rng and thf at 90. Gandiva will be getting a major boost in the next update with the ranger crit bonus. Twashtar is also very nice on thf.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-25 12:23:38  
Redemption and Quietus might scale better later because of Damage-Mods (STR is always easier to gear for). But right now, there is no redeeming qualities(Ironic that it's named Redemption then?). Torcleaver is the superior Weapon Skill, and, especially now with the Last Resort boost looming, Caladbolg is the Superior Weapon.

On any character besides Taru, Redemption is also incredibly ugly.

I would throw the effort into +2'ing your Bale Body/Hands
[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2011-04-25 12:25:00  
Has anything been found that shows that scythe to be superior to Calad?

From my perspective of having two relics for the same job. It is fun, but at the same time it's fustrating. If I didn't have apoc I honestly don't know if I would consider the scythe. I would probably do ukon or another one. (lol I have ><)
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-04-25 12:25:38  
I read through, but I still have a truthful comment about Ukko
Once you get it, you'll like War a lot more.
(Being serious!)

Also, I agree with Kirana in that you won't get much use out of a scythe when you already have GSword, and that Gandiva would be a great choice as well.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-25 12:28:08  
Gandiva is cake to do.

You should always favor Emp-ing/Relic-Ing different playstyles if you can. Like, you wouldn't really get a Caladbolg and A Ukonvasara. They essentially serve the same purpose as far as their jobs are concerned.

I Emp'd Pet job(Farsha) DD(Caladbolg) and will be doing Ranged/Support(Armageddon) in due time. But after that, I see no real purpose.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-25 12:29:34  
Just from what I've read from various posters on these boards, Torcleaver sounds like it's the better weaponskill for right now but Quietus may have more potential in the future. I may be misconstruing the information, though.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-25 12:33:41  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
My low man group has a system worked out. We have everyone pick an empyrean and then systematically make them for each person. Soon here we will be coming upon my turn in round 2.

My three choices would be DRG WAR or another DRK (i have calad). I have absolutely no interest in using an inferior WS to trigger aftermath on DRG (and losing multihit jumps) so DRG is out.

I absolutely despise being on WAR. I am aware of the high damage output and surviveability, but i do not enjoy the job. I leveled warrior for the utilitarian purpose of triggering more !! with our low man group. However, our resident 6th wheel just got his mnk to 90 and finished black belt. IE - I don't need to do staff/club to prevent the whm from trying to loltp. Our ninja and mnk both have event polearm.

That being said: I am free to be on dark knight instead of warrior now (which i much much prefer). I am just looking for people who have the ability to use Quietus (or Redemption in particular) to discuss the scythe here. I will most likely only be using the scythe in the situation that the monster has rediculous defense (Ulhuadashi comes to mind).

in B4 loldrk or comments on ukko from people who didnt read OP through.

tl;dr: sell me on the pro's of making a redemption for someone who already owns a caladbolg.

*edit* Post 666 : O

how bout ukko comments from people who DID read the OP through :p

in all seriousness, is there any way you could delay your turn? i'd want to reserve judgment until i saw exactly what the DRK update was going to bring, and make a more informed descision at that point
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-25 12:38:15  
Thought about doing bow or gun? both paths are decently easy, gun being the easier.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-25 12:46:33  
Ifrit.Zerovirus said:
Thought about doing bow or gun? both paths are decently easy, gun being the easier.

I actually think the bow is easier if you consider the 90 stage as well. Beastmaster can solo Fistule and Alfard, and Bhukis isn't particularly hard.
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-25 12:48:23  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Ifrit.Zerovirus said:

I actually think the bow is easier if you consider the 90 stage as well. Beastmaster can solo Fistule and Alfard, and Bhukis isn't particularly hard.

Yea he doesn't have bst though, but I do agree with you that they are easy trials. I'm just doing gun so I can chainbrew apademak lol.
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2011-04-25 13:18:25  
You'd have a giant colibri on your back. Do you really want a giant colibri on your back?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-04-25 13:23:12  
Finish your blu or pld and get Almace Ash!
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-04-25 14:00:14  
I think if he was to finish pld he should get an ochain, it makes a huge difference for pld, more so than any empy for any other jobs. Tho it is also significantly harder to get.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-25 14:04:25  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
You should always favor Emp-ing/Relic-Ing different playstyles if you can.
This. Ukonvasara occupies exactly the same niche as your Caladbolg, in addition to your sentiments against it. Rhongiomant may have some utility in the future but you do have OAT polearm... and honestly it's unlikely you'll get much use out of Redemption right now. I'd look into a utility weapon of some sort unless you're simply aiming to completely max out your DRK.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-04-25 14:10:32  
Ragnarok.Returner said:
I think if he was to finish pld he should get an ochain, it makes a huge difference for pld, more so than any empy for any other jobs. Tho it is also significantly harder to get.

I agree, Ochain is awesome and changes what is possible, but I'd not wish that horror on any of the people in his set... Particularly for a job he doesn't care about anymore.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-25 14:22:30  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Redemption and Quietus might scale better later because of Damage-Mods (STR is always easier to gear for). But right now, there is no redeeming qualities(Ironic that it's named Redemption then?). Torcleaver is the superior Weapon Skill, and, especially now with the Last Resort boost looming, Caladbolg is the Superior Weapon. On any character besides Taru, Redemption is also incredibly ugly. I would throw the effort into +2'ing your Bale Body/Hands

The +2 farming is going to be this week (along with bale earring while farming for pankomega). I won't have time to do all my WotG missions (earring for empyrean hit builds without atma regain, or outside abyssea), or get alma torque for a while yet.

Also, they are doing one more for someone else before I do this next one so I have time.

Phoenix.Kirana said:
From what I've read, quietus is garbage compared to torcleaver, and you'd just be wasting your time with it. Drk is going to be amazing come the next update, assuming desperate blows is not nerfed. Do you have any other jobs you'd like to get serious about? To me it sounds like you'd be wasting yours and everyone else's time by making one of these 3 choices. edit: I see you have rng and thf at 90. Gandiva will be getting a major boost in the next update with the ranger crit bonus. Twashtar is also very nice on thf.

I wouldn't be wasting anyones time because we are doing a rotation. I get what you meant but I'm just saying that I already put time into doing this for others as well. Also, I don't particularly enjoy thf or rng (and we have a member of our group who only uses THF and RNG so i would never be on those jobs). I level'ed THF because i said "I will level THF if wyrm armet drops this run" (no joke) and took it to 90 because it was situationally useful at the time to duo with. RNG i leveled back when monsters like Dark Ixion etc were still relevant. I don't know if I've used any of my jobs, aside from WAR, DRK, and RNG, since January (except leveling BLU, just for something to dump merits into and I also enjoy learning BLU magic for some reason).

It's literally WAR, DRK, DRG for me and I've ruled out DRG for sure.

For the people who are saying WAR (and thank you for being polite about it and not trolling). I REALLY do not enjoy war. It feels like MNK to me ie: Turn on standard JA's and spam WS macro til Monster dies (lather, rinse repeat). I understand that UKKO is the better empyrean (currently with crits in abyssea) and that WAR is regarded as the superior job (same disclaimer etc) but what's the use if I dislike being on the job?

What I'm really looking for is situations that I would use scythe empyrean over great sword.

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Finish your blu or pld and get Almace Ash!

That's what I have you for <3 (and our set's almace pld/blu main :3)
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-04-25 14:32:53  
Quietus will only beat torcleaver if you have ridiculously high str+mnd and/or the mob has high defense.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-25 14:34:40  
Phoenix.Kirana said:
or the mob has high defense.

This is what I had assumed. I figure it was still better to have this than a GAXE i would prefer to never use.

Any other input is highly appreciated.
[+]
 Diabolos.Inuyushi
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Inuyushi
By Diabolos.Inuyushi 2011-04-25 14:36:20  
Suggestion: Just do the Scythe anyway and test out how well it works? You're already working on it from what I can see on your profile. Since you've ruled out DRG and WAR there is no other Empy you can do is there? So if you're not willing to give up your turn because you want something just do Scythe and have fun playing with it yourself. Maybe you will find situations where it comes out on top. From what I see it you're not asking which Empy to take up next you're asking:

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
What I'm really looking for is situations that I would use scythe empyrean over great sword.

I'm not a DRK but maybe it will help others post if they can see what you're truly asking, otherwise you're gonna get the usual answers on this forum from what I can guess.

Quote:
lvl blu! Almace herpderp! Ochain! Thwaster! Verethragna! all else is fail!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-25 14:38:01  
Does anyone know the fTP of Quietus? Can provide a better answer given that information.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-25 14:38:45  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Does anyone know the fTP of Quietus? Can provide a better answer given that information.

Wiki has it tagged as 3.0, if that counts as information.

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quietus will only beat torcleaver if you have ridiculously high str+mnd and/or the mob has high defense.

In those cases, spinning Slash would be better, it actually shouldn't be too difficult if we get to keep Desperate Blows for 3minutes, to Ride the aftermath and do a Spinning Slash on Ultra-high defense enemies.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-25 14:44:07  
Judging on your OP, if I loved DRK as much as you I wouldn't mind going for a second empyrean for the same job.

At least the 2 WSs have different attributes, so there's always the chance that one may be situationally more useful than the other, and diversification, or the ability to adapt to different scenarios is always welcome for playing a dedicated job.
Let's just add it's also nice to change weapon every now and then, even if just for fun!

I would like to assume also that with the following lvl increase we (DRKs) may finally access what we have been longing for ever since the introduction of Abyssea: a Crit hit WS!

Of course it's just a happy thought, but seeing how lately SE seems to be listening to people and aknowledging the faults in some of their latest updates (tactical parry as an improvemet to DRK, yeah?), I have high hopes.

If you love DRK, then do it and show how capable you are of adapting to the different situations at hand.
Need to face a high def mob? np! Need to wack stuff in the face with a GS? np!

Whatever you choose, grats on your 2nd empy :)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-25 14:51:11  
I don't think DRK has enough DEX gear to really take advantage of a crit WS outside Abyssea anyway, personally.

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Wiki has it tagged as 3.0, if that counts as information.
Odd, wiki doesn't show anything for me. Studio Gobli apparently also says 3.0 though.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-25 14:59:16  
DRK can access some pretty decent DEX gear though.

Hecatomb is full of STR-DEX and the subligar alone is a pretty nice boost on its' own.

I'd rather focus on the lack of Crit dmg or Crit rate bonuses such as the ones available to WARs, THFs, DRGs etc, but since my thought over a DRK crit hit was pure speculation, I don't really see the point in arguing over it, heh.

SE could always decide to grant DRK a crit+ JT upon the next update and we'd all have tor econsider whatever we said now.
 Asura.Solara
サーバ: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-04-25 15:03:51  
There's no real reason to get Redemption unless you just plain feel like having it.

Since you've already decided you don't want the other ones and you're doing a weapon regardless, I don't understand the point of making this thread to have people give you excuses for doing something that you're doing because you feel like it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-25 15:18:27  
Asura.Solara said:
There's no real reason to get Redemption unless you just plain feel like having it. Since you've already decided you don't want the other ones and you're doing a weapon regardless, I don't understand the point of making this thread to have people give you excuses for doing something that you're doing because you feel like it.

I made this thread to decide if having scythe was better than having a GAXE that i would never use (mannequin). I could have a Corvette in New Jersey, but I'd be just fine having a Camaro back home..... At least one will get use (but ill take a Corvette over a Camaro that Ill never drive either).
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-25 15:18:30  
Asura.Solara said:
There's no real reason to get Redemption unless you just plain feel like having it.

Since you've already decided you don't want the other ones and you're doing a weapon regardless, I don't understand the point of making this thread to have people give you excuses for doing something that you're doing because you feel like it.

lol what I got from OP's original post, "Hey I wanna do either DRG, WAR, or DRK empyrean weapon next, but I don't like the ws for DRG, I hate being on WAR, but I love DRK and am able to go on DRK to events. Please tell me what I should do.."
[+]
First Page 2 3