users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Snow Gorget/Belt
Snow Gorget/Belt
 Asura.Maxwell
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Maxwell
By Asura.Maxwell 2011-01-21 18:27:36  
Has anyone confirmed if the Snow Belt/Gorget stack or is it pointless to have both?
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-01-21 18:29:13  
Yes, the belts are worth getting.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-01-21 18:41:09  
belts/gorgets of the same element stack, as well as stack with other pairments (snowgorget/aquabelt, soilgorget/shadowbelt, etc), as long as it corresponds with the element(s) of the weapon skill itself
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-21 18:46:36  
That being said alot of ws are having rather high amounts of ftp and acc usually isn't an issue so using belt/gorget isn't always the best option. Well never was but yeah more so now
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-01-21 18:48:40  
gorgets were pretty much staple back pre-abyssea for practically every weapon skill bar penta thrust and sa'd dancing edge (and evis too i think?), but yea, that ^
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-21 18:53:38  
And Asuran Fists :P
As far as I've seen yeah, they're not very good for new WSs.
Think they're supposedly kinda good for Samurai's YGK though, if you're a gimp/lazy SAM and don't have Fudo then belts are supposedly the best option, even more than the new STR+8/9 belt.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-21 18:54:43  
Though under appreciated, the Conserve TP on the belts is really nice when it does kick in, so don't forget about that.

Generally, if your mod isn't STR(60%+) (Bier Belt+1) Elemental Belts will probably pull ahead.

I do really like having Torcleaver with a 5.2 fTP mod at 100TP though. Snow Belt/Gorget + Moonshade, especially because of the shitty VIT mod.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-21 18:54:54  
Well and slugwinder. And most 5+ hit ws unless you needed the acc
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-21 18:56:09  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

This is in Dark Knight forum though. We don't get *** for that. I assume he's thinking Guillotine, Quietus, Spinning Slash and Torcleaver.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-21 18:56:32  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
This is in Dark Knight forum though. We don't get *** for that. I assume he's thinking Guillotine, Quietus, Spinning Slash and Torcleaver.
Rampage!!!!
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-21 18:58:45  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Rampage!!!!

SHITS SERIOUS NOW!

Actualy, I find Torcleaver outdamages Rampage 99% of the time (with the 1% being Souleater). If you gear Tor properly for the target (Usually need a lot of Atk on things T+ I swear it suffers an Attack penalty) it's actually a really great WS. I've finally managed to get it spiking to 5k, Triple attacks of course, but still nice.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-21 19:03:52  
Just use it at 300% with sneak attack attack drink and full vit atmas!
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-22 00:30:29  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Rampage!!!!
SHITS SERIOUS NOW! Actualy, I find Torcleaver outdamages Rampage 99% of the time (with the 1% being Souleater). If you gear Tor properly for the target (Usually need a lot of Atk on things T+ I swear it suffers an Attack penalty) it's actually a really great WS. I've finally managed to get it spiking to 5k, Triple attacks of course, but still nice.
before atmas how much vit you stack in ur gear?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-22 01:22:39  
VIT:+44
STR:+46
ATK:651

Obviously no abyssea Buffs.

The Atmas I always use on DRK are:

AoA, VV and RR.

Lately I've been using the Bomb core instead of the Bibiki Seashell though. Earring is Augmented with ATk+4 TpBonus+25.
And before you call me out, there has only been 1 Terrasoul ring on Odin's AH... :(

Oh, and I forgot to Update it, but I have some Versa Mufflers augmented with VIT+5 that I got from Abyssea Attowha
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 02:03:36  
Just find a goldsmith they are rather easy to make. Mounted champion!!!!

Also I wouldn't doubt you might be overcapping fstr with that setup. Only takes 72 dstr to do so and I doubt most mobs you are fighting have much more than 90ish... so I'd say your cruor buffs and atmas do it by themselves.

Also torcleaver has rather nice ftp so I'd try stat over gorget/belt.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-22 04:27:32  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
VIT:+44 STR:+46 ATK:651 Obviously no abyssea Buffs. The Atmas I always use on DRK are: AoA, VV and RR. Lately I've been using the Bomb core instead of the Bibiki Seashell though. Earring is Augmented with ATk+4 TpBonus+25. And before you call me out, there has only been 1 Terrasoul ring on Odin's AH... :( Oh, and I forgot to Update it, but I have some Versa Mufflers augmented with VIT+5 that I got from Abyssea Attowha
dang I want shadow breastplate D: how big of a difference is there between stacking more attack than vit
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-23 18:56:15  
Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
VIT:+44 STR:+46 ATK:651 Obviously no abyssea Buffs. The Atmas I always use on DRK are: AoA, VV and RR. Lately I've been using the Bomb core instead of the Bibiki Seashell though. Earring is Augmented with ATk+4 TpBonus+25. And before you call me out, there has only been 1 Terrasoul ring on Odin's AH... :( Oh, and I forgot to Update it, but I have some Versa Mufflers augmented with VIT+5 that I got from Abyssea Attowha
dang I want shadow breastplate D: how big of a difference is there between stacking more attack than vit

Attack is definitely the most important aspect of the WS. It's high fTP (4.75-5.2 depending on gear at 100TP) makes it currently the strongest WS foundation available, but the lackluster VIT mod makes it hard to really bring up much beyond that. If you are sporting Caladbolg, most of your DMG is now going to come from abusing the Aftermath effect, so You're probably better off just Stacking as much attack as possible, while noting effective Compromises, and of course, not ignoring fSTR if you're suffering there.

Like most WS's, what you're equipping depends on what you're fighting.

Generally, there are no decent VIT compromises aside from Rings and a lucky Versa Muffler (Since it only offers a few less attack than Heafoc), the rest are either great combo pieces (Twilight Helm, Shadow Breastplate, ect) or so overwhelmingly skewed to Attack, with almost no worthwhile VIT Option (Bale Flanchard+2, Bale Sollerets +2) that the decision is really made for you.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Just find a goldsmith they are rather easy to make. Mounted champion!!!!

Currently the Rings go on Odin for between 25%-350% Surcharge on Materials, and the few goldsmiths still practicing, with Synergy, are not willing to give that up

Quote:

Also I wouldn't doubt you might be overcapping fstr with that setup. Only takes 72 dstr to do so and I doubt most mobs you are fighting have much more than 90ish... so I'd say your cruor buffs and atmas do it by themselves.

Overcapping fSTR, not capping out Attack. Trust me, when the call is between 25Atk(on top of the 12STR) and 5VIT, the 25ATK wins by landslides, the Heafoc mitts have been replaced by +5VIT versa, which include attack, and there is seriously no worthwhile foot swap I've seen, if you know something, please tell me, that's the slot I am definitely willing to dump.

Quote:

Also torcleaver has rather nice ftp so I'd try stat over gorget/belt.

That doesn't seem true, I've tried FortiTorque and of Course the Warwolf Belt, and neither gave me results like the Snows, but I can always reevaluate them as I learn more about the WS, if You're an FFXI TL;DR mathwiz, I would love to see something that would show the Available VIT options in those slots, as the superior choice.
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-01-24 09:01:02  
I think the logically swap for neck and belt, which is not saying I recommend it, are Bale Choker and the 15 attack 1% DA belt. Warwolf is lower on the food chain when attack isn't capped, so as Fort Torque to Bale Choker. I have done some math which supports that.

However, 15 attack belt is only slightly better than snow belt, and bale chocker is really about the same as snow gorget. So I wouldn't really break my head over it. Tho when facing high defense mob, attack will definitely serve you better than 0.2 ftp would, which is why I have 3 Torcleaver sets, 1 full VIT and ftp for weak mobs going for top end number, 1 mix for average mobs, 1 full attack for hard mobs. Due to lvl correction, attack means alot more than it would normally and gives a much bigger % of improvement. So when facing mobs higher lvl than you, attack becomes slightly more important, which is why I have been using AF3+2 gloves. But if you have versa with 5 VIT, that is probably the more superior piece, I wish I have that.

Also, don't overlook brutal earring, it might not be a fixture anymore. 5% DA is really 1/5.2x0.05 = 0.0096, not even a 1% increase in damage. I think Bale earring is definitely the better choice here if your attack isn't capped.

Have to think outside the box a little with this WS. Definitely a tough one to gear. And I agree with bombcore over bibiki seashell. But if you are capped in attack, seashell obviously, which is why you should have a few sets.
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-01-24 09:11:56  
In addition, I have seen alot of ppl with pole grip, are you guys able to 7 hit this thing without Rose strap? I just find it odd but would appreciate the insight. I have goading and ace's sabatons, but as far as I can tell, you need 32 stp to 7 hit this. 35 is overkill, but since we are only going to have 15-16 stp on WS minus rose and rajas obviously, this won't give 7 hit.

Perhaps you have VV as a fixture, which would explains it.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-24 09:13:00  
Actually I was thinking you could get rid of VV for say mounted champion... or probably better yet griffin claw. Hell I'd put A&O higher than VV.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-24 09:14:25  
So basically if you want just 1 ws set. then w/e armor slot in which you can't find enough vit for. throw something in with lots of attack :D ?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-24 09:27:17  
Also are's body clearly better twilight debatable, as far as stats vs belts/gorget... it really depends on if you double triple attack and if you are uncapped on fstr... if not then yeah those would probably win at 100% by a small margin. However there is always anguinus belt and bale choker

Oh and I wouldn't call it the strongest ws foundation at least not at 100%. Wildfire has 5.5 + an extra dstat outside of that that unlike fstr is impossible to cap withou brew
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-01-24 09:40:36  
Yea, I was thinking of the atma too. I think if you are not getting too much outside buff, such as haste, march, etc, you are good with VV cuz it does offer some DA, and some attack from the 50 str, and regain in this case will probably cut a hit off your build cuz you are not getting outside haste. It is an overall good atma to have when lowmaning.

A/O is great with Apoc atma, 25% TA is pretty insane, it just feels like I get tp so fast. A/O also gives a nice boost in attack, which can't hurt but the -HP can be a problem if you are lowmaning stuff.

PB is a good thing to have too, DA and 20 stp which gives you a 6 hit, is a good fit for high haste situation where you don't gain too much from regain. Regen also doesn't hurt.

Griffon claw is good, a straight up 20% up on your WS and some attack and accuracy from added skills.

So to me it is always a tough tough decision to make. MC is good but I wouldn't put it over any of the above unless I am soloing.

And there is another aspect of this when you tank as drk/mnk, then GH will have to be in there.
[+]