users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » indra's staff
indra's staff
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 09:46:04  
Techincally most things in this game have decreasing returns. Those staffs do too technically.
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2011-02-03 09:48:04  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Techincally most things in this game have decreasing returns. Those staffs do too technically.
Yep

Hq(old hq) 15%
Magi HQ 30%

1.30/1.15 = 13%
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-03 09:48:37  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Someone just pointed that out for me, that magian staffs stack with the same bonus as some atmas, like beyond.
But yeah, you still get way more mab, so the staffs will probably allways be superior to mab choices.
Except maybe Dorje vs HQ staffs for SCH in some situations?
Too lazy to check it out now.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-03 09:54:14  
Waiting for a "mab takes time to proc"
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-03 09:55:58  
You take time to proc, derp
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 11:02:07  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Someone just pointed that out for me, that magian staffs stack with the same bonus as some atmas, like beyond. But yeah, you still get way more mab, so the staffs will probably allways be superior to mab choices.
Whoever said that is wrong. I'm testing it right now and yeah no. Both smoldering sky and lone wolf I think it is are giving exactly +30% dmg while I'm wearing a vulcan staff and when I'm not. The atmas however are on the same so both together is 1.6X dmg instead of 1.3X1.3

And Dorje is never a good idea outside of hmp build
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-03 11:07:24  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Someone just pointed that out for me, that magian staffs stack with the same bonus as some atmas, like beyond. But yeah, you still get way more mab, so the staffs will probably allways be superior to mab choices.
Whoever said that is wrong. I'm testing it right now and yeah no. Both smoldering sky and lone wolf I think it is are giving exactly +30% dmg while I'm wearing a vulcan staff and when I'm not. The atmas however are on the same so both together is 1.6X dmg instead of 1.3X1.3

And Dorje is never a good idea outside of hmp build

He said HQ is different from Magian trials.
Havent had time to test it myself yet, but aparantly the magian staffs add together with the atmas, and normal HQ staffs work like they allways have
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 11:08:33  
Hmmmm harder to test those... I supposed I could try. Weird SE would make them exactly the same except for that... when atmas didn't even exist when they made those trial staffs lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-03 11:11:04  
Guess I should check BG and see if I can see anything about it, gonna look now
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 11:27:15  
Hmmm ok I take that back the magain ones are added to the +element attack. Also in the process I found out lion is actually 30% not the 40 wiki says. How very odd... be funny if HQ staffs end up becoming almost as good as trial staffs lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-03 11:31:39  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Hmmm ok I take that back the magain ones are added to the +element attack. Also in the process I found out lion is actually 30% not the 40 wiki says. How very odd... be funny if HQ staffs end up becoming almost as good as trial staffs lol

Gonna need alot of atk+ for that to happen tho:P
 Siren.Eclipsys
サーバ: Siren
user: Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2011-02-03 11:33:21  
Sylph.Elgorian said:
daddyrabbit4444 said:
just saw a blm doing 5k + in abyssea with ice trail staff just how powerful are the pucking staffs? my ice 5 only do around 2400 with 50int. boost atma, my question is how much stronger are these staffs over say jupiters staff?

Ice Staff is Varuna's....
Topic Name is Indra's (Lightning)...
Yet...you only mention...Ice

I lol'd
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 11:36:44  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Gonna need alot of atk+ for that to happen tho:P
100 without staff to be exact. At least with the current amount on staff (less for ice)... on the other hand even being close might just make people go meh why bother
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2011-02-03 18:53:15  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
be funny if HQ staffs end up becoming almost as good as trial staffs lol
That was my gripe on BG which ppl w/o math sense took it as a cry/winge rather than just being a small let down on SE's part.

Basically you get this scenerio when you add a +30att atma:

100 * 1.15 *1.30 = 149

100 * 1.60 = 160

So it comes out to be around a 7% increase difference vs the 13% you were given with Magi over HQ staves. Again this only on spells that you get the +att bonus from the atma, other spells are unaffected by this. You are still doing more damage with Magi, just less effective with +atma vs hq(old) staves.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-03 19:52:07  
Sure it only effects those elements but you probalby only using those except proccing and probably only have those magian staffs anyways lol. And what if you had 60!?! Even closer. And who knows what we will get next.

But my main gripe is part of what kinda balances other jobs with strong magical dmg is not getting magian staffs... having this brings them super close. I mean the 3 jobs with the strongest brewed magical dmg are blu then cor and rng lol
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-02-03 20:28:03  
Ifrit.Hitoseijuro said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
be funny if HQ staffs end up becoming almost as good as trial staffs lol
That was my gripe on BG which ppl w/o math sense took it as a cry/winge rather than just being a small let down on SE's part.

Basically you get this scenerio when you add a +30att atma:

100 * 1.15 *1.30 = 149

100 * 1.60 = 160

So it comes out to be around a 7% increase difference vs the 13% you were given with Magi over HQ staves. Again this only on spells that you get the +att bonus from the atma, other spells are unaffected by this. You are still doing more damage with Magi, just less effective with +atma vs hq(old) staves.

I thought HQ staves were affinity based as well. The trial ones use a different calculation?
 Cerberus.Tzaellia
user: Tzaellia
By Cerberus.Tzaellia 2011-02-03 20:38:04  
I just got my Varuna's +2, is there any reason for me to keep my Aquilo's staff still?
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-03 20:50:01  
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
I just got my Varuna's +2, is there any reason for me to keep my Aquilo's staff still?

Bind,Paralyze
 Siren.Kunimatsu
サーバ: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-02-03 20:52:36  
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:

I would keep the HQ staves incase they add oldschool style HNMs for lv90-99 that needs that extra macc.

<__<;

Cerberus.Tzaellia
user: Tzaellia
By Cerberus.Tzaellia 2011-02-03 21:56:59  
Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:

Bind,Paralyze

Good to know, thanks.
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2011-02-04 06:20:18  
Carbuncle.Axle said:
I thought HQ staves were affinity based as well. The trial ones use a different calculation?
Trials are calculated on the same step as +att atmas are, and therefore additive. The higher that number goes the the more it decreases the value of magi staff boost, however only of that element with the +att atma.

Hq is on a different step therefore multiplied with the other boosts in %.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-02-04 06:29:15  
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
Bind,Paralyze
Good to know, thanks.

I has 7/8 magian +1 or +2 staffs all except dark element one, keeping plutos, austers, terras and aquilos staff... really need inv space expansion real fkin soon, getting to a point im loosing better and better pieces to my satchel. Almost pointless to try aquire more blm gear unless it entirely replaces something I already own.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-04 06:30:27  
I dont use my HQ staffs anymore, beeing kinda lazy >_<
Using alkalurops for MACC, just 5 less than a HQ staff, saves me inventory atleast ;;

Edit: Use the ones I dont have magian staffs for on nukes ofc >_>
And terra/pluto for their other use.
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-02-04 06:33:09  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
Bind,Paralyze
Good to know, thanks.

I has 7/8 magian +1 or +2 staffs all except dark element one, keeping plutos, austers, terras and aquilos staff... really need inv space expansion real fkin soon, getting to a point im loosing better and better pieces to my satchel. Almost pointless to try aquire more blm gear unless it entirely replaces something I already own.

Why do you need all those staff for dmg... most cases you only cast bliz and thunder for dmg and rarely fire. The others you shouldn't even need...
 Odin.Teraflare
サーバ: Odin
user: Graham
By Odin.Teraflare 2011-02-04 06:53:45  
5k nukes Bliz 5's aren't difficult, even for me (lolGalkaBLM).

On Iceday I 1-shot Bluffalos for nearly 6.5k with Varuna's +2.

Race = irrelevant now.

Atmas + gear = everything in Abyssea.

I usually use Minikin/Beyond/Baying Moon or Ultimate.

I should use Ultimate all the time instead of Baying moon but it's nice to have some more MP as Galka, even with 10mp/tick refresh from Minikin +3 from Refresh.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-04 07:29:45  
Cerberus.Tzaellia said:
Bind,Paralyze
I wouldn't really use it for para except out of laziness. Though since I use spell cast now that implies that I make an effort to make it not use varuna's... in which case might as well use something with more macc or better yet more mnd. Though really I run around with like 200 mnd so meh