2010-06-21
New Items
users online
Irony?
 Cerberus.Satanspawn
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Satanspawn 2008-02-25 20:41:45  
From the "Already Pending Suggestions" thread.

"7. Could you build in more price-fixer or RMT-identifying features?

We are always open to suggestions on how to accomplish this, as we do not condone RMT in any way."

Why is it that I'm always seeing ads all over this site for RMT? Just thought I would see if anyone else noticed this and got a chuckle.
 Pandemonium.Areis
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2008-02-26 02:57:26  
now i can't say this for sure, but my guess is that the add's aren't specifically chosen by the FFXIah site admins (specifically i can see on my screen ads by Google). this means that the admins don't get a say in which ads are being shown, just that they have sold their add space to google, who is listing items of similar intrest/content to FFXI. Those generally being other MMO's and RMT sites.

Call it irony if you want i'd rather they market ads to google and i get the site free then i have to pay to access it however.
 Carbuncle.Yajirobe
Premium
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Yajirobe
By Carbuncle.Yajirobe 2008-02-26 07:03:41  
Right. The majority of the ads that Google wants to run on these pages are RMT ads. When a lot of people started complaining about them, FFXIAH spent a long time trying to find new ad companies that they could use to get rid of the RMT ads. When they did this however, the new ads started displaying popup ads, ads that triggered anti-spyware programs for downloading a cookie, etc. The fact is that Google ads are the safest ads for this site even though some of us oppose the RMT business. I agree with Areis in that I would much rather they run those ads and keep the site free than to have to start to charge people for this service.
 Unicorn.Claquesous
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-02-26 08:09:47  
Please read the FAQ.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=133
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]

Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

if i recall correctly, ads are re-ran or reused denending on the number of hits from the site.

its either accidentally or on purpose, but someone is clicking those adds, triggering "profit" on googles end so they run more.

Remember someone gets paid every time those adds get clicked. FFAH gets a small percentage, and so does google lol..

soo... basically tell your peers to quit checking the prices on gil and they will filter in different adds. o.0
 Leviathan.Cymmina
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-04-18 06:21:11  
I run a fan site for a different game and I can tell you that it is a major pain in the *** to try and get rid of RMT type ads (and is often required to get official fan site status). I can filter them on a per domain basis (Google Adsense), but you kill one (it can take up to 48 hours to go away), and 3 more show up. It's an uphill battle.

Even if you could get rid of all of them, what kinds of ads would be left? Not very many that are relevant to the site. That means revenue goes down.

I only use 1 skyscraper ad and it pays for 1/3 of my hosting.