BLU, What's New And What's To Know?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU, what's new and what's to know?
BLU, what's new and what's to know?
First Page 2
By Zikane 2010-12-15 12:11:39  
Hiya,

I used to be a BLU way back, approximately 2 years ago, and I stopped playing the game. I recently came back to find this whole new bunch of things going on and I'm kinda lost. Of course the biggest thing is that now the level cap is 90 and well I'm still a mere 75.

The main question would be, what's changed? I remember /thf being optimal for a lot of things and I had a pretty stable tp set, str set for SA spells, Big 3 set with a bunch of acc dex and str and a couple of magic acc sets and the like for all my spells.

I've been hearing about how /thf isn't worth it anymore and been seeing a lot of blu/dncs...

What should I be paying attention too? Any new gear I should really look for? What old gear is still worth it? I had 3/5 Homam, 4/5 AF2 and was setting out for enkidu mitts and working on my nyzul weapon skill.

Oh and what subs should I level first? Any help is appreciated, if someone has an useful guide for the 75+ blu, then I'd love that :D. Thanks in advance.
By Rustytiger 2010-12-15 12:17:44  
Zikane said:
Hiya, I used to be a BLU way back, approximately 2 years ago, and I stopped playing the game. I recently came back to find this whole new bunch of things going on and I'm kinda lost. Of course the biggest thing is that now the level cap is 90 and well I'm still a mere 75. The main question would be, what's changed? I remember /thf being optimal for a lot of things and I had a pretty stable tp set, str set for SA spells, Big 3 set with a bunch of acc dex and str and a couple of magic acc sets and the like for all my spells. I've been hearing about how /thf isn't worth it anymore and been seeing a lot of blu/dncs... What should I be paying attention too? Any new gear I should really look for? What old gear is still worth it? I had 3/5 Homam, 4/5 AF2 and was setting out for enkidu mitts and working on my nyzul weapon skill. Oh and what subs should I level first? Any help is appreciated, if someone has an useful guide for the 75+ blu, then I'd love that :D. Thanks in advance.

I'm a Bluemage-in-training (lvl 47) but i hear all kinds of things about it from friends on the ls. I can tell you what I know so far.

I often see blus sub /nin mostly. /dnc and /thf are for certain situations. As far as gear is concerned so much has changed to the point where there are either many more options or some items are useless now since the new stuff is much better such as the Aurore, new AF3s, to name a few.

There are some new spells out but I'm trying to find any new guides on it. Apparently the Blue Mage Training Grounds site is down, probably indefinately. A majority of the new blue spells are pretty good it looks like.

My apologies if I can't provide anymore but I hope I pointed things in the right direction for you at least.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-15 12:22:11  
A lot has changed since you've been gone. Obviously the first thing you should work on is getting new spells. Your Homam may still be good depending on what it was(head was never good, hands and feet are still very good). Nyzul weapon skill is ok for making darkness, but Savage Blade is generally a better skillchain maker considering the spells that can be linked with it.

/thf is still good for spike damage and hate placements
/rdm is good for general use
/dnc is good for general use as well
/nin is only good if you NEED utsusemi
/sch is good for main healing

Though you can potentially benefit from all subs due to the versatility of blue mage, you won't be seeing many people using anything other than these subs.

Big 3 has potentially dropped some spells for some new spells: Quadratic Continuum, Goblin Rush, Benthic Typhoon, and Vanity Dive. ACC is hardly a concern anymore, and you could probably get by with a TP set or spell set not having a single piece dedicated to accuracy stat.

As far as new gear, get to work on AF3+1/2. If you don't have Homam feet+hands try and get them. If you don't have Homam legs, get Aurore Brais(well, get Aurore Brais anyway until you can get AF3+2 legs).

We have refresh spell now, in the form of Battery Charge learned from Magic Pots. We also have a 15% haste spell, Animated Wail, from those fat undead guys in ToAU. Enjoy BLU!~
[+]
By Rustytiger 2010-12-15 12:26:00  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
A lot has changed since you've been gone. Obviously the first thing you should work on is getting new spells. Your Homam may still be good depending on what it was(head was never good, hands and feet are still very good). Nyzul weapon skill is ok for making darkness, but Savage Blade is generally a better skillchain maker considering the spells that can be linked with it. /thf is still good for spike damage and hate placements /rdm is good for general use /dnc is good for general use as well /nin is only good if you NEED utsusemi /sch is good for main healing Though you can potentially benefit from all subs due to the versatility of blue mage, you won't be seeing many people using anything other than these subs. Big 3 has potentially dropped some spells for some new spells: Quadratic Continuum, Goblin Rush, Benthic Typhoon, and Vanity Dive. ACC is hardly a concern anymore, and you could probably get by with a TP set or spell set not having a single piece dedicated to accuracy stat. As far as new gear, get to work on AF3+1/2. If you don't have Homam feet+hands try and get them. If you don't have Homam legs, get Aurore Brais(well, get Aurore Brais anyway until you can get AF3+2 legs). We have refresh spell now, in the form of Battery Charge learned from Magic Pots. We also have a 15% haste spell, Animated Wail, from those fat undead guys in ToAU. Enjoy BLU!~

I will keep this in mind too a swell since I'm still learning the ropes of blu. Thank you :)
 Diabolos.Megatron
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-15 12:26:23  
Blu is a job that to each his own. me i cant stand /dnc its a cop out. just hit hte monster and hit the dance macro 20 mins later its dead yea your no diffrnet then anyone else who subs /dnc.

spell wise lots of new toys to hunt and with the added abyssea its easy to cap blu skill. i got 30 points in about 15 mins off bufflos in the range. as far as gear you still want that af body and hands to help with skill and learnign spells . the relic hat for more blu skill and with the new added af3 as i call it. even more fun tiems and things to do.

gear and sub jobs are what suit you best. me i sub ninja for soloing and most ls events. but have been known to go /thf and sata a few things >.> and people its aall about the way you play it. last update we got 9 spells 1 of which is a 7 shadow blink. i really like. i wont spoil it for you since thats half the fun of blu earning your way insted of goignto the AH and buying the spells.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-12-15 12:35:41  
Yea im not really a fan either of sub dnc on blu for stuff I do. Still gotta lvl mine from 85-90 think ill just go anon once im invited and sub whm for reraise incase I wanna drop after and solo once lights are capped and im nearing 90.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Animated Wail, from those fat undead guys in ToAU.

Qutrubs are fat? short and hunched over, not very fat tho lol.

Good info though saved other blu's having to post... as much as they might of done, everyone has slightly different perspective but thats pretty much it.

Only other thing to note if you need advice on gear sets to get general idea of gearing the job right for w/e youre doing at the time theres tons of blus on this site with good item sets. Mine are decent, Blazza and Mahayaya probably got some posted as well.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-15 12:46:57  
I'm kind of turned off by /nin unless I'm solo'ing an NM. It really doesn't offer any good benefits other than utsusemi and slightly better dual wield now.

I try to /rdm as much as possible, and it's much more possible since the advent of Occultation. You get some hefty bonuses, such as Magic Defense/Attack Bonus II, Fast Cast, Convert, Phalanx, 350-470 Stoneskin depending on gear, and barspells. I can't count the number of times that I've Actinic Burst > Stoneskin'd and been able to get it back up. Stoneskin, Phalanx, Cocoon and a decent PDT set can go a long ways on some monsters.

I used /dnc for a little bit during the time when I didn't have /rdm for convert or dual wield, but now I pretty much use /rdm for those instances.

I've even actually used /sam. It was when I was fighting Urd and it uses a mute ability that leaves me practically useless, so I swap to staff > seigan > third eye. I wouldn't say /sam is good though lol.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-15 13:08:29  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
me i cant stand /dnc its a cop out
Half potency Haste Samba, CW III, Steps, and free Accuracy Bonus + DW II is a copout? The *** is this ***, really. It's one of the best subs available for melee-oriented group play.

Subs:
/NIN for any situation that requires Utsusemi. Good fallback sub for meleeing if you're not benefitting from other subs.
/RDM for nuking if you don't need shadows. Also best for meleeing if you're spending your MP faster than you get it back (Convert).
/DNC for light support. I use this a lot in Abyssea if I don't need shadows, as the benefit to my group outweighs the benefit of say, /WAR.
/THF for epeening, and uh... Well, more epeening. SATA is kind of irrelevant these days and it hasn't been a good DD sub in a long time.
/WAR for Berserk + free Attack Bonus and DA traits. Not something I use much. Alternatively, it's your best Cannonball sub if you can't SATA it.

There are others and the above also have other uses, but that's a decent general list.

Gear: AF3 is the biggie, there's plenty of other stuff. Use the power search function and see for yourself.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2010-12-15 13:27:50  
Zikane said:

The main question would be, what's changed? I remember /thf being optimal for a lot of things and I had a pretty stable tp set, str set for SA spells, Big 3 set with a bunch of acc dex and str and a couple of magic acc sets and the like for all my spells.

I've been hearing about how /thf isn't worth it anymore and been seeing a lot of blu/dncs...

What should I be paying attention too? Any new gear I should really look for? What old gear is still worth it? I had 3/5 Homam, 4/5 AF2 and was setting out for enkidu mitts and working on my nyzul weapon skill.

I'd say the biggest change so far is getting DW, so you can use other subs other then /NIN.

Endgame today is mostly in Abyssea, and it's all about farming TE and getting !!! to proc. Jobs like MNK or NIN can tank while dealing very good dmg and worrying less about hate, I rarely /THF now unless I'm farming.

If you don't need to worry about survivability, /RDM probably deal the best dmg outside of abby because of convert(inside of abby probably doesn't matter...), it's also a good sub for nuking and Sanguine blade, overall a very versatile sub. I only /NIN when I lowman NMs and when I may ended up tanking, otherwise I mostly /RDM.
I sometimes /DNC for solo if don't want to spend money on shihei, otherwise I don't use it much...maybe if you want to use haste samba and help other DDs in your pt TP faster. For main healing I prefer /WHM a bit more than /SCH because of haste.

Another biggest change I've found is BLU is now being used a lot more than used to be because of farming TE, azure kill and getting !!! from blue magic. It's much easier to get invite from EXP/merit pt and events now. So have fun.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-12-15 13:33:36  
Look in to magian trial weapons.

Think very carefully about what you will make based on what is possible for you and whatever help you can get. Every weapon in the game that was 75 is now obsolete.

Just don't make a macc sword.
[+]
 Diabolos.Megatron
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-16 10:04:09  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Half potency Haste Samba, CW II, Steps, and free Accuracy Bonus + DW II is a copout? The *** is this ***, really. It's one of the best subs available for melee-oriented group play.

lets see if im in a group we have a healer so i dont need CWIII....
if im slaming nad jamming my own spells like a BLU should be i dont have time to do /dnc twirls........
and doenst blu have its own haste spells or did i miss that in blu 101 and the abilityto set spells for acc mab and oterh tings i needto go look atthe spell lists and job traits again hmmmm?

and you can use the the situational line with any sub job. thers sutuations that /bst has its uses? no? well farming Everyones Grudge simply let the pet do all the work take the grudge and u kill it.

same with any sub. that doesnt mean im goignt orun around as /bst unless im doing it for widescan you can plkay your blu the way you want its your blu. but that doesnt stop me from laughing at your balerina moves.

Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-16 10:07:27  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Half potency Haste Samba, CW III, Steps, and free Accuracy Bonus + DW II is a copout? The *** is this ***, really. It's one of the best subs available for melee-oriented group play.

if im slaming nad jamming my own spells like a BLU should be i dont have time to do /dnc twirls........
and doenst blu have its own haste spells or did i miss that in blu 101 and the abilityto set spells for acc mab and oterh tings i needto go look atthe spell lists and job traits again hmmmm?

and you can use the the situational line with any sub job. thers sutuations that /bst has its uses? no? well farming Everyones Grudge simply let the pet do all the work take the grudge and u kill it.

same with any sub. that doesnt mean im goignt orun around as /bst unless im doing it for widescan you can plkay your blu the way you want its your blu. but that doesnt stop me from laughing at your balerina moves.

You do know Haste Samba stacks with spell Haste, right?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-16 10:08:47  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Diabolos.Megatron said:

You are the dumbest, most homophobic individual I've ever met.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-16 10:09:26  
I have a kid in my LS who has Dancer at 10 and doesn't level it because, and I quote, "It's gay."
 Diabolos.Megatron
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-16 10:09:54  
yes
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-16 10:11:20  
Btw, he's a 12 year old, so obviously he knows as well as a guy that can grow a goatee and call himself Megatron.
 Diabolos.Megatron
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-16 10:13:29  
it
Ramuh.Laffter said:
I have a kid in my LS who has Dancer at 10 and doesn't level it because, and I quote, "It's gay."

its not gay its a fun job my RL wife has a 90 DNC we duo alot and during endgame events she sits on the side line and otehr get invites to do things while me and her go duo and trio them. im aware of both jobs abilities. me like anyoen else i choose not use it like they choose to... i dont use it because of my play style the groups i run with and teh diversity of jobs the peoepl i play with it doesnt have a use for us. for them it may.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-12-16 10:13:42  
Btw, Is a blue mage hunting grounds website down?

http://74.53.42.102/blu/BLUMain.html

Doesn't work for me anymore, that site was the ***.
 Diabolos.Megatron
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-16 10:16:37  
Cerberus.Hiryo said:
Btw, Is a blue mage hunting grounds website down? http://74.53.42.102/blu/BLUMain.html Doesn't work for me anymore, that site was the ***.

yea
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-16 10:17:39  
Cerberus.Hiryo said:
Btw, Is a blue mage hunting grounds website down?

http://74.53.42.102/blu/BLUMain.html

Doesn't work for me anymore, that site was the ***.
There is an alternate host now, but I don't know where to find it.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-12-16 10:17:59  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Cerberus.Hiryo said:
Btw, Is a blue mage hunting grounds website down? http://74.53.42.102/blu/BLUMain.html Doesn't work for me anymore, that site was the ***.

yea

Fml, What's a good website now?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-16 10:18:45  
http://173.192.108.24/~tforum/blu/BLUMain.html
 Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-12-16 10:20:10  

<3
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-16 10:21:43  
Thank you, Nightfyre, this is handy for me too, even though I have temporarily ragequit BLU until I break my 70 cap. >___>
 Diabolos.Megatron
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-16 10:22:54  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Btw, he's a 12 year old, so obviously he knows as well as a guy that can grow a goatee and call himself Megatron.

this from a person who is hiding behide a cartoon. does me having the ability to grow facial hair offend you? dont worry some day you'll hit pubirty and be able to as well. next its the fact my avatar isnt in color or HD or im not 100% PC or my grammer isnt perfect. so lol attack him /flame /flame /flame.

a person asked fellow blus for ther thoughts i gave mine on the subject. and as we all know opnions are like a$$holes everyone has one. yours is jsut bigger then most and im not talking about the opnion
 Siren.Delirium
サーバ: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-12-16 10:23:03  
edited: nevermind. info was shared while my page didnt refresh
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-12-16 10:36:49  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

this from a person who is hiding behide a cartoon. does me having the ability to grow facial hair offend you? dont worry some day you'll hit pubirty and be able to as well. next its the fact my avatar isnt in color or HD or im not 100% PC or my grammer isnt perfect. so lol attack him /flame /flame /flame.

a person asked fellow blus for ther thoughts i gave mine on the subject. and as we all know opnions are like a$$holes everyone has one. yours is jsut bigger then most and im not talking about the opnion
I remember my first time having a beer.
[+]
 Unicorn.Crysten
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Crysten
By Unicorn.Crysten 2010-12-16 11:04:18  
Diabolos.Megatron said:
it
Ramuh.Laffter said:

its not gay its a fun job my RL wife has a 90 DNC we duo alot and during endgame events she sits on the side line and otehr get invites to do things while me and her go duo and trio them. im aware of both jobs abilities. me like anyoen else i choose not use it like they choose to... i dont use it because of my play style the groups i run with and teh diversity of jobs the peoepl i play with it doesnt have a use for us. for them it may.

Jesus *** Christ, learn to proofread.
[+]
By Rustytiger 2010-12-16 11:07:11  

Thank you good sir. I live by this site and I'm glad its back :)
By Azulmagia 2010-12-16 11:12:41  
I'm going to start replying to everyone who asks me why I don't have WAR levelled "it's hetero".
[+]
First Page 2