users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Magian Main / Off Hand Dagger
Magian Main / Off Hand Dagger
 Leviathan.Ejin
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: EjinXI
By Leviathan.Ejin 2010-11-25 22:04:07  
Before the update I always offhanded Blau with my Thief's Knife, but now with the TOM out I need to figure out good combinations of knives for leveling up my THF. Unfortunately I don't know much about TOM other than my Amano trials suck. Anyways, if you could help me out by listing the knives and stating the difficulties of the trials it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
[+]
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-11-25 22:32:56  
Leviathan.Ejin said:
Before the update I always offhanded Blau with my Thief's Knife, but now with the TOM out I need to figure out good combinations of knives for leveling up my THF. Unfortunately I don't know much about TOM other than my Amano trials suck. Anyways, if you could help me out by listing the knives and stating the difficulties of the trials it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Evasion setup: Dual AGI ToM daggers.
Haste Setup: Parazonium +1 (2-3) + Rapidus Sax or Auric Dagger
DD Setup: Empyrean (HQ) + probably STR Kila.

Other than that I really can't think of any situational setups you might want.
 Asura.Karbuncle
サーバ: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-26 00:22:16  
Hmmm, Well, I thought i saw math with Paraz+1 being garbage due to a 50/30/20 proc rate on 1/2/3 hit. But it was a long time ago and I think it was even before +1 was available so, IDK :|

Anyway, Your options are simple, Kila+1 are the good Damage ones, easiest to get in terms of "High Damage" daggers.

Basically, DEX Kila is your best bet, Inside abyssea where you'll spend most of your waking FFXI life, if you have any respectable Atma's (and i hope you do with apparently owning an Amano?) you'll likely be @ or near fSTR cap for daggers, making the STR kila fall slightly short.

that and DEX being a primary mod in well, every THF WS outside of Mercy Stroke.

now, Fire Kila is also an option, if you feel you'd get more use out of it, I'd suggest at least 1 of each.

The Trials aren't too hard, Weather gives you 5 points per kill, so it really speeds things up, that being said Fire weather is a lie, shits rare to find even in the heat seasons, but it wasn't too bad for my h2h, should be easy.

DEX (Thunder) Trial is pretty simple too, except for the Qutrub part... *** Qutrubs, yes. Your best bet is to shout for a large group (Blues too, for Spinal Cleave/Hysteric barrage, you will get aggro from lamia) and go on Thundersday, if you have free-time spend it in Caedarva hunting thunder weather and taking out the qutrub there. @ level 85 its much easier.

Parazonium+1 (O.a.2-3x path) is simple in the way it requires nothing more than the mob family yields exp. no Day/Weather reqs, but the first 3 trials are NM camping Trials, which aren't bad but are annoying. That being said, if you wanna have a hellish repeat of Amano trials by killing anywhere from 200~500 of a specific mob family roughly ~6-7 times then this trial will be simple for you.

Auric Dagger if i recall is becoming/is obsoleted if you have any sort of major haste buffs on you, march, haste, Samba, etc, what with Dual wield apparently effecting absolute haste cap (/sigh).

Rapidus Sax would make a good offhand, with that being said, if you didn't want to work on Parazonium+1.

Either way you want your main hand to be a strong one, The Empyreon/-1Emp are both more powerful than the Kila+1's, but take significantly more time.

The empyreon itself is absolute piss cause you need Glavoid shells, not a hard task now adays (wasn't even too hard then) but its annoying, should be able to burn through it if you dedicate, but my guess is if you were a Blau/THF knife full time THF you probably don't care too much about the job, at least not enough to invest in an Empyreon.

Either way, Kila+1/Rapidus/Paraz+1 is your best bet. Rapidus drops from Amhuluk, Amph NM in Abys-Misa.

Also, for Empyrean/Kila set up the guy above me listed, DEX kila would smash the ***out of STR kila, the Empyreon WS has a strong DEX mod, and no STR mods, and as i mentioned above with Atmas...
[+]
 Leviathan.Ejin
user: EjinXI
By Leviathan.Ejin 2010-11-26 10:17:09  
Thank you for the help!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-26 10:25:20  
Wait, you offhanded Blau and used TK main?:p

TK works offhand too, make a good main-hand dagger! STR or DEX path
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-26 10:28:28  
I'd be wary to assume that Attack is always capped in Abyssea. Plus, if you are using RR + GH, you are unlikely to be capping fSTR.

OaT is good but I am uncertain about where it stands at the moment. It's not as good as it is for jobs with lower average hits per round (and THF has high due to Dual Wield and Triple Attack). 2x STR Kila is best if you are at accuracy cap without sacrifice, 2x DEX if your accuracy is APPALLING (basically don't bother) and 1STR/1DEX is in my opinion the most practical combination, especially if you do stuff outside of Abyssea.

Sax is weaker than a fully upgraded Magian damage dagger but very nice until then ... unless you don't need STR/Atk/DEX/Acc in which case it wins very slightly. Auric is still good but it's not as good as double STR etc.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-26 22:15:27  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I'd be wary to assume that Attack is always capped in Abyssea. Plus, if you are using RR + GH, you are unlikely to be capping fSTR.

OaT is good but I am uncertain about where it stands at the moment. It's not as good as it is for jobs with lower average hits per round (and THF has high due to Dual Wield and Triple Attack). 2x STR Kila is best if you are at accuracy cap without sacrifice, 2x DEX if your accuracy is APPALLING (basically don't bother) and 1STR/1DEX is in my opinion the most practical combination, especially if you do stuff outside of Abyssea.

Sax is weaker than a fully upgraded Magian damage dagger but very nice until then ... unless you don't need STR/Atk/DEX/Acc in which case it wins very slightly. Auric is still good but it's not as good as double STR etc.

Few points.

*in case the atk thing was at me I did mention only STR not attack =( though it probably wasn't.

also, Wouldn't using RR/GH be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in comparison to RR/VV? or were you assuming they didn't have VV, cause thats the only reason i see giving up 5%dbl, 40STR, and 2tpRegain for 50(?)AGI and a bit more Critical Hit bonus. Unless I missed some math recently (I've been gone for ~3 days, I know how quick ***gets outdated, need to know if i need to update my standard atmas -.-)

lastly, i think, Rapidus has Acc on it as well, +12. (that seems kinda odd-ball so i threw in a (B) to the section i was directing this at.

Also I did forget to mention, Rapidus/everything you own not magian'd will probably be pure grade-a ***next update anyway so best to use those as "Fillers" until you can finish a good Magian weapon.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-26 22:21:37  
GH > VV for DNC, don't see why it would vary for THF. More AGI for TA doesn't hurt either. Remember that 50 STR is essentially 25 attack for dagger users, nothing more.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-26 22:25:19  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
GH > VV for DNC, don't see why it would vary for THF. More AGI for TA doesn't hurt either. Remember that 50 STR is essentially 25 attack for dagger users, nothing more.

I was under the impression Cruor buffs weren't enough to cap daggers fSTR?

Damn

Edit: Would that extend to most 1 handed DD? BST, MNK, etc?
Edit2: Derp, It's Critical hit Rate.

Since Critical hit Rate doesn't cap (can have ~100%) I could see how ~50% Critical hit rate from Atma's alone (not including dDEX) would be a benefit.

Tough Call, and you're right 50AGI would help Trick Attack amazingly.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-26 22:39:17  
VV vs GH is a wash for MNK, dunno about BST. The counter+ (~15% iirc) on GH makes it the better overall choice for MNK though.
 Odin.Jryan
サーバ: Odin
user: jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2010-11-26 22:41:32  
For evasion tanking on THF, I use a Kila +1 with EVA and 1 Kila +1 with Add Effect: Accuracy Down.

For DD I use 1 Kila +1 with dex and acc and Rapidus Sax in offhand. I prefer rapidus sax to parazonium because it has far less delay, 12 acc, 1 haste and ultimately feeds the mob far less TP than a parazonium. It also allows me to cap haste on THF while still wearing Skadi's Cuirie.

GH is crap for thf, because evasion kicks in before counter. I solod chasmic hornet with GH and Mounted Champion, and i noticed counter only once among the many "chasmic hornet misses Jryan" messages.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-26 22:58:47  
Odin.Jryan said:
It also allows me to cap haste on THF while still wearing Mirke Wardecors

nitpicky ftfy though you might have it tied up on another job :(
 Phoenix.Hagino
サーバ: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2010-12-02 08:43:38  
Currently for tanking i use the obvious dual kila +1 with evasion~

DD im currently working on the twashtar and 1/3 of the way through the glavoid stage with 15 scales taking up my inventory >.>

plan is to have twashtar/auric or perhaps twashtar/dex?

TP gear allows me to have 25/6% haste without purple body. I use a Mirke wadecors with +3 dual wield and +3% crit hit rate

Im not sure if that will outdue my loki's kaften but i figure that for TP building i rather hit faster and crit more often then crit a little harder?

The comparison is really
5% crit hit damage + 6 agi +6 dex
vs
3% crit hit rate + dw 3% + 5 str

current plan for lvl 90 cap for DD is pretty much hold 25/6% haste + 41% Dual wield (25 from nin sub, 5 from auric dagger, 5 from supa, 3 from boomerang, 3 from mirke)

this would allow you to keep damage up without feeding as much tp to the mob from a oat dagger. The other thought to this is that this allows you to swing more often with the twashtar vs low damage from the oat dagger dealing more damage.

Now unless the current 8 dex from the kila +1 mods the WS enough to make it worth while that might even be something to consider to offhand.

rapidus seems kind of...lame? do you really need the 12 accuracy? i dont need the 1% haste to hit cap but i guess if you do....its not a bad current choice?

if we're talking about abyssea the str dagger i dont really see a point. I'm eating meat. I highly doubt the 20 attack will be that big of a deal to me to justify offhanding the str dagger.

As for atma, if your role is strictly DDing...i guess it really depends on what kind of fight it is. If im TA alot i'd probably try GH out (RR is kind of a given). I do enjoy VV not for the str boost but for the 5% double attack and regain. More WS = more damage output. I think of it as more haste(ish). As for soloing your goal is not damage output but more so survivability. I use RR + mounted champion. Dont get hit but if you do you'll take less damage and the regen is very nice.

As for GH being crap...you're not doing it for the counter~ the 50AGI adds evasion/TA modifier etc etc etc.

As a side note i do like VV + RR because it gives me stupid numbers with true strike~ 3k true strike to briareus.

as a note here are my current gear setups for dd which might not even be good after the update (might not be even good now! i dont know anything lol)

TP

cant get torque to drop QQ

WS

I am currently trying go get some +1 heca crafted but so far no such luck ;; NQ NQ NQ NQ also trying to get an Aias Bonnet but so far i have not been able to catch him up.

Evasion/tank set

For fun my True Strike build

Please don't think poorly of me (/.\) im just a taru that likes to be silly. If anyone would like to discuss my theories on gear choices or would like to have a fun discussion about a more optimized setup please be my guest ^^
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-12-02 17:29:45  
An advice on thf tanking: i wouldn't use 2x kila or a full evasion set at all. We simply don't need that much evasion and instead we can try to increase our dps with gear. With usual tp set + GH i can bet we'll be near cap evasion. Well, cap is an exaggeration, but it's easy to go utsu ni->utsu ni on most nms. And really, we don't need any more evasion than that.

I've tanked a lot of nms at abyssea like that (i'm talking about the big ones), and i'm very lucky to experience it with my thf.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-12-02 17:37:07  
Slightly off-topic but i'm just curious. Why do I see so many thief main handing a TK and off-handing a higher dmg dagger? Do they think that the TH effect only works in main hand or something?
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-12-02 17:38:43  
placebo
 Phoenix.Hagino
サーバ: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2010-12-02 18:32:39  
im tanking big things and it helps quite a bit, usually soloing where mistakes cant really be let in as well. I do notice the big difference on stuff like flame skimmer etc etc. Ive only tanked glavoid twice with it as the party recovered but i did manage to do that decently