users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Sub weapon options
Sub weapon options
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2010-11-20 13:55:16  
I have been on BRD and SAM for the past few years now and my THF has been overly neglected. Now that I am getting back into it, I wanted to get some opinions on weapon choices.

Right now, I have Blau Dolch and Ridill. Not counting moogle trial weapons, what have you other THFs out there found effective? I was leaning toward either staying with Blau/Ridill or going with Auric/Blau. Rapidus Sax also looks really tempting.

Have any of the math gurus come up with numbers involving these four weapons? Again, I'm not considering magian weapons just yet.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-11-20 14:21:59  
Lose the Blau Dolch, it's old and outdated.

The best non-relic/empyrean combination at the moment is DEX kila/rapidus sax, but you said magian weapons are out of the question (not sure why, as it's easy and provides the best weapon)

If you're really set on not using magian weapons, Auric/rapidus sax is probably your best bet.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-11-20 14:25:58  
Nail clippers
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
サーバ: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-11-20 14:53:06  
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
Lose the Blau Dolch, it's old and outdated.

The best non-relic/empyrean combination at the moment is DEX kila/rapidus sax, but you said magian weapons are out of the question (not sure why, as it's easy and provides the best weapon)

If you're really set on not using magian weapons, Auric/rapidus sax is probably your best bet.

This.

Blau is nothing more than a leveling weapon now. The only daggers worth using now are Auric Dagger, Rapidus Sax, and an array of Magian daggers. When I'm not stuck with a Thief's Knife in the offhand, I use DEX Kila/Rapidus Sax (Rapidus Sax is pretty easy to get).

If really are getting back into THF, I wouldn't dismiss Magian daggers so quickly. There are some really good options there. The DEX Kila is an all-around good dagger. If you're fine on accuracy, the STR Kila is awfully strong since THF is such an attack-starved job, and an AGI Kila (or two!) is an outstanding dagger for evasion tanking.

Now I can't be sure on this, but I think I read somewhere that the WS Rudra's Storm, available from the Daka +1 and Twashtar daggers, might be somewhat on par with Mercy Stroke. If you can swing it, these daggers are very, very nice.

Sure they're dull and mind-numbing, but Magian trials are well worth the time for every THF.

EDIT: If you're really dead-set on dodging Magian trials entirely, you could probably get by with Auric/Ridill for DDing (needs proper food and merits) or Auric/Rapidus Sax, and Auric/Thief's Knife for playing the TH *** role.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-11-20 14:57:54  
just throwing this out there, but AGI/EVA Kilas are piss easy and don't take long as others as you can constantly get 5-6 credit per kill. Wind weather is abundant.
[+]
 Leviathan.Narrubia
user: Narrubia
By Leviathan.Narrubia 2010-11-20 14:59:47  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Dang, you could take over a whole airship with that!
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2010-11-20 16:07:20  
There is a reason I am not pursuing magian trials just yet.

I get very little time to play right now and I would rather spend what time I do get actually playing the game rather than doing monotonous trials killing the same thing over and over, or even worse, trying to put together a group to go fight the same thing over and over during a specific time frame...
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-20 16:14:40  
Leviathan.Jackieolivas said:

I get very little time to play right now and I would rather spend what time I do get actually playing the game rather than doing monotonous trials killing the same thing over and over, or even worse, trying to put together a group to go fight the same thing over and over during a specific time frame...

how did you level? :/
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-11-20 16:42:12  

But isn't this FFXI in a nutshell anyways?
[+]
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2010-11-20 16:47:32  
You're both missing the point entirely...

Anyhow, thanks to those that offered advice.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-11-20 17:05:15  
You're both missing the point entirely...

Anyhow, thanks to those that offered advice.

No, you've turned passive-aggressive and whiny because your reasoning was so easily eviscerated.

If you wanted to be lazy about your THF, why not say so from the outset? Honesty's not a bad thing at all. Time's a very real constraint for most people. Hell, if anyone I know in-game actually sees this, they'll tell you first-hand just how often I'm AFK and taking care of RL matters while I'm logged into the game.
[+]
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2010-11-20 17:16:54  
Wait, thf? Where's the Thief's Knife?

@Eeek Sooooo gonna send you a tell when I get back! See if you're there.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2010-11-20 17:29:01  
So, having an infant daughter and a military career are not good reasons for me not to play FFXI for days on end? Sorry, but regardless of what anyone says, my life is far more important than this game. The single mother thing kind of eats up alot of the day. Also, what's the point in hurling insults? I asked for advice and asked that said advice did not cover a certain thought. Why not just go along that path or ignore it altogether? There was absolutely no need for that.

If you have the time, by all means, go for it. Years ago, when I was stationed overseas, had no family, and FFXI had just come out, I had plenty of time to put into the game. However, time flows forward and the world around us (as well as the people in it) continuously change.

Also, I spend a pretty good portion of the time I am online logged onto one of my crafting mules.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-20 17:46:10  
So, having an infant daughter and a military career are not good reasons for me not to play FFXI for days on end? Sorry, but regardless of what anyone says, my life is far more important than this game. The single mother thing kind of eats up alot of the day.

If you have the time, by all means, go for it. Years ago, when I was stationed overseas, had no family, and FFXI had just come out, I had plenty of time to put into the game. However, time flows forward and the world around us (as well as the people in it) continuously change.

Also, I spend a pretty good portion of the time I am online logged onto one of my crafting mules.

when did anyone say you should be spending all your time playing ff? people have answered your question about what's best while disregarding magian trials. nobody cares whether you want to put that much effort into or not. what was addressed was the fact that you said you didn't want to kill ***over and over again, to which it was JOKINGLY said that that's pretty much what the game is anyway.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-11-25 02:32:54  
Ridill used to a great asset to my thief :(. It's sad they're just killing so much gear, Ridill included. Used to be great for salvage and all the TW-EP level mobs you'd find yourself fighting all too frequently during various missions and events. Was great for feint fight openers etc.

Fortunately the good weapons now are simple to obtain. If not Auric/Rapidus, there's magian trial weapons. Not much else outside of that.
By Powerslave 2010-11-25 02:49:59  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:

how did you level? :/

Well to be fair, she said she has no time at the moment, not that she's never had the time at all (assuming she did indeed level thf a while back.