Where To Start End Game.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Where to Start End Game.
Where to Start End Game.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 11:50:05  
Hi guys, I just got BLU from 60 to 73 in an Abyssea PT. I Plan on Skilling up and capping Sword, Blue Magic, and Learning Spells before I go any further.

1)What spells would be best to focus on for now(Hysteric Barrage, Disseverment, what else) What mods would effect them mainly? Both Physical and magical Spells.

2) I understand AF Body+1 is good for spells, I currently don't do Limbus much at all. Can a Blue Mage solo certain zones for hopes of farming AF Items?

3) ShamShir+1, Which are best to have? Double DEX/Acc, A combo of STR/Attack and DEX/Acc, or Double STR/Attack all the way?

4) What are the best merit choices? (Not including combat merits)

5)Could I have some gear Critique Please?
I Lack Mirage Body, The best I have atm for refresh is Vermy. I mainly use Dusk Gloves, Id swap to Aurore when I have to move around a lot.
TP Gain(It wouldnt let me put my swords in the right order -.-)

Wivre Gorget has an Augment of Subtle Blow+2 and Critical Hits+1(I Have Chiv too but I figure this might look better on a parse then just 3 STR. I could be wrong. I lack Suppa so I use Hollow.)

Anwig is left over from RNG and COR STR4 WSACC+15 RACC+10 RATK+5 :(
Max Strength Build.

Cannonball and 1 Hits that aren't DEX reliant? ? :/

Balanced STR/DEX Build.

Macc Build..
Teal Set, Omega/Insect Rings/ Moldavite Earring, and the 30MATK Bonus Atma is what i have to work with. I'm not sure how to apply it and I need to see what spells use what mods.

WS Build
Pretty Simple really. I'll worry about that later.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: I totally over Looked Firmaments :X
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-27 12:01:57  
Quote:
1)What spells would be best to focus on for now(Hysteric Barrage, Disseverment, what else) What mods would effect them mainly? Both Physical and magical Spells.

Your DD spells(until the material in the new update but you won't hit until 80+) will be Hysteric Barrage, Disseverment, Frenetic Rip, Vertical Cleave, and Cannonball. Later on you'll want Vanity Dive, Goblin Rush, Quadradic Continuum, and Benthic Typhoon.

Buffing spells you'd want are: Diamondhide, Warm-Up(less useful now), Battery Charge, and Animated Wail, maybe Amplification if you use magic a lot.

Other spells: Actinic Burst(amazing spell), Plasma Charge(for an easier Auto-Refresh and good set stats), Filamented Hold, Regurgitation, Firespit, Mind Blast, Subzero Smash

Quote:
2) I understand AF Body+1 is good for spells, I currently don't do Limbus much at all. Can a Blue Mage solo certain zones for hopes of farming AF Items?

Could very likely solo the AF materials in Apollyon. Temenos may be slightly harder, but I think you could easily do some AF+1 material farming at 85.

Quote:
3) ShamShir+1, Which are best to have? Double DEX/Acc, A combo of STR/Attack and DEX/Acc, or Double STR/Attack all the way?

Double STR, all the way. Once you do those, you can get some others if you feel like you could use them. MACC and DEX aren't bad, but situationally useful. You can fulltime Double STR sword and nobody would tell you any different at this stage in the game.

Quote:

For Group 1 I like Physical Potency 5/5 and Magical Accuracy 5/5. I could see some people thinking Chain Affinity recast could be more useful than Magical Accuracy, but it's up to you.

Group 2, I'd highly recommend getting 5/5 Assimilation. I put 1 into Convergence(to make AoE abilities single target if necessary), 1 into Diffusion(AoE Animated Wail is nice when there's no buffer job around), and 3 into Enchainment.

Quote:
5) Gear critique:

TP: You've got the right idea it seems, just maybe not the gil or gear to make the changes. As you've said, use Dusk when TP'ing. Tiercel Necklace will become valuable later on when you have more acc than you know what to do with(if you use sushi now, you may already be at that point).

STR: Looks good, if you know you have good acc on a target, may as well use this set with Disseverment and Frenetic Rip too.

STR+VIT: This is a hybrid-ish set that you'd want for Cannonball and Quadratic Continuum. Focus mainly on high STR, but push whatever you can with extra VIT if it's not a big loss for STR.

STR+DEX: Good. Use this with Hysteric Barrage. And eventually you'll probably work that spell out of your set, so this set may start to disappear as you get higher. May still have a use for higher evasion targets though.

MACC: Sounds good for nukes, which would be: Firespit, Regurgitation, Acrid Stream, Mind Blast, Eyes on Me(requires more CHR though) Maelstrom, and Leafstorm.

MND: You'll want a high MND set for landing powerful Filamented Holds. It can also be useful for Mind Blast and Magic Hammer. If you're ever /rdm or /whm, you'll want to be able to cap your Stoneskin anyway.

Sanguine Blade: Get as much INT + MAB as you can. Whatever you can't put INT + MAB on, put MND. Whatever you can't put INT, MAB, or MND on, put STR.

I'm going to add that you'll want to wear full Teal Set prior to casting Utsu:Ichi(to get the fast cast bonus), and swap out to as much haste gear as you have to reduce recasts. You can do this with a lot of your other, longer casting spells as well.
 Bismarck.Zeota
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2010-10-27 12:15:12  
1) Rip, barrage, and dissev will be your bread-and-butter until you get quadratic continuum. STR will be the big one to focus on for your physical spells.

2) Not really sure on this one as I haven't attempted this myself.

3) STR/attack all the way. Not only will it improve spell damage, but also help with sword damage.

4) Consensus says 5 physical potency/magical accuracy, 5 assimilation. With the addition of efflux, enchainment seems to be popular. If you do that, go for at least 3/5. Diffusion and convergence are handy to have around in some situations (the former often being used to pull large amounts of hate in a tanking situation).

I'm sure some of the math-heads will chime in to provide some more fine-tuned input.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 12:48:18  
Thanks I appreciate the input. I'm not exactly having issues with gil. But rather my babies are WAR and DRG. Ever since I got my JSE Cape for DRG. Cuchu Mantle is looking less and less attractive due to the current cost. I feel ashamed I'm more or less doing this on a budget at the moment. But first chance I get I will upgrade things.

Also wtf is with BLUs ammo slot :(
I was surprised to see it wasnt on Thew Bomblet or Astrolabe. I should shoot for Mavi tathlum.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-27 13:06:30  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Thanks I appreciate the input. I'm not exactly having issues with gil. But rather my babies are WAR and DRG. Ever since I got my JSE Cape for DRG. Cuchu Mantle is looking less and less attractive due to the current cost. I feel ashamed I'm more or less doing this on a budget at the moment. But first chance I get I will upgrade things. Also wtf is with BLUs ammo slot :( I was surprised to see it wasnt on Thew Bomblet or Astrolabe. I should shoot for Mavi tathlum.

Yeah, it sucks. :/ I have 4 different ammos, that I don't always carry with me if I'm cramped for space. Mavi Tathlum(MACC and STR spells), Tiphia String(TP, Vorpal Blade, Savage Blade), Bibiki Seashell(Chain Affinity on and doing a spell that has a VIT mod), and Phantom Tathlum(Sanguine Blade and INT nukes). Then I'll also carry around Mamoolbane for pulling.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 13:19:00  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Thanks I appreciate the input. I'm not exactly having issues with gil. But rather my babies are WAR and DRG. Ever since I got my JSE Cape for DRG. Cuchu Mantle is looking less and less attractive due to the current cost. I feel ashamed I'm more or less doing this on a budget at the moment. But first chance I get I will upgrade things. Also wtf is with BLUs ammo slot :( I was surprised to see it wasnt on Thew Bomblet or Astrolabe. I should shoot for Mavi tathlum.

Yeah, it sucks. :/ I have 4 different ammos, that I don't always carry with me if I'm cramped for space. Mavi Tathlum(MACC and STR spells), Tiphia String(TP, Vorpal Blade, Savage Blade), Bibiki Seashell(Chain Affinity on and doing a spell that has a VIT mod), and Phantom Tathlum(Sanguine Blade and INT nukes). Then I'll also carry around Mamoolbane for pulling.

Funny story, I tossed Bibiki Seashell before it was unthrowable D:

Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-27 13:23:59  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

No biggie, I doubt the damage difference is all that much. Sucks for your DRG jumps though! Then again.. I guess Thew Bomblet is used for that now.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 14:20:54  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

No biggie, I doubt the damage difference is all that much. Sucks for your DRG jumps though! Then again.. I guess Thew Bomblet is used for that now.

Also for Soul and Spirit Jump they removed the VIT mod :S
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-27 14:23:00  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Also for Soul and Spirit Jump they removed the VIT mod :S

Oh snap. I just assumed it was the same and haven't changed any of my gear swaps for DRG yet. Thanks for the heads up.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 16:42:15  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
EXPing you'll be focusing on physical spells, so if you want to farm the rest later get the multihits, your self-buff spells, anything that's good for traits (fast cast, DW, acc bonus, etc), and pretty much everything 76+.

Quote:
90% sure you can solo Apollyon NE to the second floor, which reportedly has a very generous drop rate. Failing that, we used to get Flameshun Cloth from NW all the *** time, and it drops on the first floor.

Luminian Thread is pretty hard to come by... best bet is Temenos West, where it drops on the first and third floor.

Quote:
STR/STR or STR/DEX, depending on your acc needs.

Quote:
G1: 5/5 Physical Potency and either 5/5 CA Recast or 5/5 macc
G2: 5/5 Assimilation, 3+ Enchainment, and the rest in Diffusion/Convergence as you see fit.

Quote:
5)Could I have some gear Critique Please?
I Lack Mirage Body, The best I have atm for refresh is Vermy. I mainly use Dusk Gloves, Id swap to Aurore when I have to move around a lot.
TP Gain(It wouldnt let me put my swords in the right order -.-)

Wivre Gorget has an Augment of Subtle Blow+2 and Critical Hits+1(I Have Chiv too but I figure this might look better on a parse then just 3 STR. I could be wrong. I lack Suppa so I use Hollow.)
Lack of Mirage body isn't as big a deal inside Abyssea, but still something to look into getting if you can.

Quote:
Anwig is left over from RNG and COR STR4 WSACC+15 RACC+10 RATK+5 :(
Max Strength Build.

Cannonball and 1 Hits that aren't DEX reliant? ? :/
Looks good. You could use this for Frenetic/Disseverment/Goblin Rush as well, accuracy permitting; swap to Enkidu's Gloves for Hysteric Barrage or if you're hurting for accuracy. Keep in mind that spells get a boost of ~20 acc (30 with full PP merits).

Quote:
Macc Build..
Teal Set, Omega/Insect Rings/ Moldavite Earring, and the 30MATK Bonus Atma is what i have to work with. I'm not sure how to apply it and I need to see what spells use what mods.
Regurgitation, Firespit, Maelstrom, Acrid Stream: focus on INT and MAB, add MND where you can. These are your bread and butter for nuking.
Mind Blast: MND and MAB
Eyes on Me: CHR. I hardly ever use this one though.

Ditch the Insect Ring for a stat ring. Errant set fills in any gaps in the Teal set handily.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-27 16:45:38  
Yeah know in abyssea I've been finding str gear less and less useful with all the str buffs I get lol. Other than on Goblin rush and quad of course.... but given what SA vanity dive/benthic typhoon can do assuming I'm allowed to /thf those 2 spells aren't my main concern anymore
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2010-10-27 17:39:31  
I think having a build for Eyes On Me (If your going to incorporate nuking into your regiment) is still kinda important. I quit before the 2nd update but with all my CHR gear and NPC buffs in abyysea I was consistently hitting 1k+ when convergence was up (Only 1 merit mostly for Hnm's) without atma's and all the new stuff. Just for fun On one of the Tinnin's my Ls did I fully buffed (memento-mori, my Eyes on me set, CHR food, convergence, burst affinity, azure lore) and hit a 3100 Eyes On Me. Now granted I was under a lot of buffs/abilities and the monster correlation was strong but Eyes on me can be quite a powerful spell For NM's you really can't be standing there whacking away on or close enough to be spamming Your Multi-hits.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:43:38  
The thing about EoM is that it either locks you into only using that spell or forces you to adopt a less efficient hybrid setup so that you can use other nukes. MP is such a nonissue right now that you're better off using 2-3 INT nukes at recast (plus Minikin Monstrosity has 50 INT) and maybe Mind Blast than sticking to the one CHR spell unless you specifically need a darkness elemental nuke.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-27 17:47:10  
And you can hit 1k consistent with sanguine blade in abyssea!!! And you can get tp from the new swd! Which is kinda fun lol
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2010-10-27 17:52:17  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
And you can hit 1k consistent with sanguine blade in abyssea!!! And you can get tp from the new swd! Which is kinda fun lol

Quoting you but referring to nightfyre as well.

This is why I said important to "have a build." Not equip it all the time. Only because you can throw up big numbers while being a fair distance away from the mob. And also why I said for mobs you don't need to be "whacking away on." But who knows I quit so I am probably completely wrong ... There may not be any mobs now where it's a bad Idea to feed them TP I dunno.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-27 17:54:53  
Diabolos.Mmbacon said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

This is why I said important to "have a build." Not equip it all the time. Only because you can throw up big numbers while being a fair distance away from the mob. And also why I said for mobs you don't need to be "whacking away on." But who knows I quit so I am probably completely wrong ... There may not be any mobs now where it's a bad Idea to feed them TP I dunno.
OH I was referring to Hannibal's sword for not whacking... and I was hitting those numbers without a real spell build for it. Ie not using MAB spells. Not setting anything for int/mnd. Just normal set + 1 set point for soundblast to get me MAB job trait
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:55:24  
Diabolos.Mmbacon said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

You're saying all of this like it doesn't apply to non-CHR nukes. I'm confused. I also never said it's a bad build to have, it's just less important than an INT build.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 21:38:42  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Diabolos.Mmbacon said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

OH I was referring to Hannibal's sword for not whacking... and I was hitting those numbers without a real spell build for it. Ie not using MAB spells. Not setting anything for int/mnd. Just normal set + 1 set point for soundblast to get me MAB job trait

I actually have a hannibal's Sword. What would its uses mainly be? Its not something I'd want to fulltime unless I had a ***ton of refresh right?
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-27 21:41:10  
Just heresay, but I believe Night told me it's garbage~ Especially in abyssea because most of your damage is just spamming spells
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-10-27 22:00:41  
Fenrir.Snick said:
Just heresay, but I believe Night told me it's garbage~ Especially in abyssea because most of your damage is just spamming spells

Nah I understand, I've mostly been messing with it on WAR Mainhand since it's higher damage then most axes and less delay :o
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 22:02:44  
Could use it for a free WS at the start of fights if you wanted. You'll have more than 3/tic at any given time even self-buffing, so it won't hurt anything.
 Caitsith.Jessie
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-30 07:36:20  
With Atmas, it's possible to get up to +15/tic Refresh. And if you're in a party with a Red Mage you can stack another +6/tic in there. I don't think it would kill you to even fulltime the Hannibal's Sword in your offhand or something.

Though I guess if you're going to do that, you might as well just pick yourself up an Atma with Regain lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-30 07:38:38  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Diabolos.Mmbacon said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Quoting you but referring to nightfyre as well. This is why I said important to "have a build." Not equip it all the time. Only because you can throw up big numbers while being a fair distance away from the mob. And also why I said for mobs you don't need to be "whacking away on." But who knows I quit so I am probably completely wrong ... There may not be any mobs now where it's a bad Idea to feed them TP I dunno.
I actually have a hannibal's Sword. What would its uses mainly be? Its not something I'd want to fulltime unless I had a ***ton of refresh right?
I'd use it soloely for tanking while minimizing tp given to the mob and such. Yes a niche use but meh. And of course ws procing for atmas and such.