users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Google ads
Google ads
 Seraph.Haladir
サーバ: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Haladir
By Seraph.Haladir 2008-02-17 07:37:58  
Is there any chance you can please block the RMT google ads advertising RMT site for people to buy gil, it shouldn't be advertised at all.
 Quetzalcoatl.Yatta
Premium
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Yatta 2008-02-17 09:49:11  
Why not?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-02-17 14:57:33  
Read the FAQ, please.
 Ragnarok.Firetruck
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Firetruck 2008-02-18 14:43:42  
Its not in the FAQ. :P
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-02-18 15:59:29  
In short:

We have discussed this several times internally and are aware of concerns some users might have. Currently, we have decided not to remove our Google ad units.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-02-18 20:49:50  
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=133

Sixth question in the FAQ, been there since version 1, but I'll cut-paste it here anyway.

Q: Do you support RMT? (Real Money Trade)

A: Absolutely not. We have no ties to RMT companies whatsoever, nor do we condone their activities.

The high volume of traffic and database load required to host ffxiah.com can be quite expensive. Originally, much of the data that is now publicly accessible on the site was slated to only be available via a subscription service, similar to other FF-related fan sites. Instead, we decided to ask Google AdSense to target and place ads on our site, which covers our hosting and management fees.

While we have been making efforts to move the site to other advertising networks that will allow us to avoid RMT ads, we do not have complete, direct control over which ads are placed on our site. Unfortunately, it appears that a significant portion of them are still from RMT companies. While we could ask that all RMT-related ads be blocked, our revenue would no longer be sufficient to support the site, and we would have to move to a subscription-based membership model. Our users have made it abundantly clear that they would rather have ads, even RMT ones, than have to pay a monthly fee to access parts of the site.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moshanee
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Moshanee
By Quetzalcoatl.Moshanee 2008-03-27 18:27:06  
While I also am not excited about the RMT ads here, I understand why they are being tolerated. Another flavor of add seems to be encroaching upon the site however, which is a bit more awkward, especially in pubilc areas. Are the ads for "Rate these hot women" and "Naughty or Nice" really necessary for the same reasons employed by you to justify the RMT advertisements? They are becoming progressivly more scantly clad. Perhaps I am a bit too prudish but I have seen this sort of stuff move in on sites before. It is pretty tame now but I am sure it will just get progressivly worse.

I am ignorant of the algorithms used to choose the ads but I would guess that ads clicked more frequently by users of the site are favored. So ultimately the users control what ads come to the site. I am doing my part by not clicking. ^^
 Fenrir.Valous
サーバ: Fenrir
user:
By Fenrir.Valous 2008-04-18 13:22:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

you can get rid of the ads completely by running noadds plus and noscript. When you enter ffxiah with no script click on the icon in the bottom right corner and click allow the ffxiah script but keep fleckz.com(dunno what that is and with ffxiah working fine i kept it disabled) and google-analytics script and magic no ads and normal access to site.

Oh yeah firefox onry, sorry ie users(for the love of god get firefox if your using ie full of security leaks and 9/10 users who get keyloggers use ie)
 Odin.Thaxius
サーバ: Odin
user: Thax
By Odin.Thaxius 2008-04-18 15:25:06  
I use Firefox with adblocker and alot more add-ons. This website is completly free of adds for me. Google charges the ad-holder by # of clicks. :)
 Leviathan.Cymmina
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-04-21 05:35:01  
Thaxius said:
I use Firefox with adblocker and alot more add-ons. This website is completly free of adds for me. Google charges the ad-holder by # of clicks. :)

Wrong, Google pays out by impressions, too. Good job not supporting the site.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-04-21 10:55:19  
Our arrangement is impressions-based, so yeah. Blocking the ads means we get no revenue.
 Valefor.Forgotten
サーバ: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2008-04-22 01:48:34  
Quote:
While we could ask that all RMT-related ads be blocked, our revenue would no longer be sufficient to support the site

So if all RMT ads became replaced by other ads, it wouldn't pay out enough?

What other advertising partners besides google have been considered?

http://projectwonderful.com/advertisewithus.php
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-04-22 10:34:53  
If you haven't noticed, most of the ads on the site are no longer Google. We've migrated slowly to a new ad network. Hence why the ads have become larger, more colorful, and otherwise more professional-looking. We still have one panel of Google ads just for security's sake, in case the migration doesn't work out.