New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » magnus dagger
magnus dagger
 Asura.Yunalaysca
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-10-12 20:02:01  
does the latent work on ws? i'm doubtful about dancing edge but crit ws like EV?
By Hyakuu 2010-10-18 21:31:48  
Try using a SA + WS macro and keep an eye on your inventory to see if a stone gets used during the ws.

Either way Magnus is crap because it has to be main-handed.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-10-19 08:20:45  
i answered my own question a couple days ago, it does in fact work on EV. in fact my highest EV was 3103 on the nyzul isle HNM 60 cerberus (i didnt use any buff potions since im trying to save for a one day Terpsichore) and is a personal favorite for me till i finish my Daka+1.
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-10-19 08:35:17  
hmm hmm, i thought it didn't work on JA and WS? 3k evis does sound quite a lot against a boss. I wonder i wonder. Magnus might actually be a good weapon if this is the case.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-10-19 08:41:12  
Sounds nice, but its still a D:29 dagger that relies on Ammunition and a "proc" to be useful, further putting it down is it has to proc on a WS to make it respectable, otherwise its akin to an unlatented Blau.

At best its a gamble weapon good for E-peen shots, but using a D:~41 Dagger fulltime will probably even out your over-all DPS and damage output from WS.

Still don't think it'll be "the" full-time dagger, over-all a toy, probably ending its uses this next update when magian Dagger will likely heap up to ~D:45+

Could be wrong though?

I've just never been a fan of "Gamble" DD'ing

[+]
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-10-19 09:25:49  
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Sounds nice, but its still a D:29 dagger that relies on Ammunition and a "proc" to be useful, further putting it down is it has to proc on a WS to make it respectable, otherwise its akin to an unlatented Blau. At best its a gamble weapon good for E-peen shots, but using a D:~41 Dagger fulltime will probably even out your over-all DPS and damage output from WS. Still don't think it'll be "the" full-time dagger, over-all a toy, probably ending its uses this next update when magian Dagger will likely heap up to ~D:45+ Could be wrong though? I've just never been a fan of "Gamble" DD'ing
Pretty much sums it up.
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-10-19 10:58:33  
yeah, magians can be upgraded, but this is way cheaper timewise to get. If the proc rate is anything like OAT weapons (and does indeed proc on ws/ja), i think this is a quite a decent weapon. Not needing a ranged weapon is probably a rare situation for thf, but other dds can surely make better use of these weapons (non DW ones specially).

Clemeant skean is more reasonable option as a quick to get weapon for thf. Close to the dps of the elemental magians and lower delay. It's the return of super tp gain of low delay combo with clement+rapidus sax.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-10-19 12:46:01  
Remora.Laphine said:
yeah, magians can be upgraded, but this is way cheaper timewise to get. If the proc rate is anything like OAT weapons (and does indeed proc on ws/ja), i think this is a quite a decent weapon. Not needing a ranged weapon is probably a rare situation for thf, but other dds can surely make better use of these weapons (non DW ones specially).

Clemeant skean is more reasonable option as a quick to get weapon for thf. Close to the dps of the elemental magians and lower delay. It's the return of super tp gain of low delay combo with clement+rapidus sax.

Strictly speaking for THF, seeing as how this D:29 weapon requires an Ammo Slot to be used, i don't see it being useful at all.

what with Raider's Boomerang, Bomblet, Bomb Core (c.acc), the Atk+3 Critical Hit Damage+ Thathlum (With RR), etc etc.

Its sacrificing too much, on top of requiring it being mainhanded, all for a gamble of a chance to do decent damage.

Easy to get or not, you're better off trying to get an Auric Dagger (Which is like 80+% Drop from an Easily Duo'able NM, even easier now @ 85) and (in general) stop being lazy and work on a Kila. With the "Weather = 5 points" bonus now on those trials they're super easy if you pace yourself.

Or try for a Rapidus Sax.

Either way, once i put my mind to my DEX kila, the last two trials only took me about ~4/5 man hours cause i waited for Thundery Season in Zi'Tah lol, so its not brutally hard.
[+]