users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Vanity Dive & Whirl of Rage dmg and gear sets
Vanity Dive & Whirl of Rage dmg and gear sets
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:16:48  
ok, thats true... SA will make it land, for 1 target (vanity dive, but not in the case of whirl...) so why not just ToM 2x shamshir or something for much higher stat mods? Though I guess that would be a pain in the *** for 1 spell lol
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-11 01:17:45  
Where do you see a staff in his whirl set? Theres two swords >.>

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:24:54  
I saw a jupiter staff earlier, maybe he edited it
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:25:18  
oh i'm sorry that was for vanity

edit: goddam, i'm all kinds of *** up lately lol

edit2: point still holds true for vanity too though... don't need the crit+ from Jupiter staff if SA makes it crit already
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-11 01:32:45  
It gives dex along with the effect of the grip... and he said he was working on magian swords.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:34:29  
isn't that grip like +3% dmg or some jazz?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-11 01:35:47  
Yes around that
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:36:52  
and koggle is in his whirl set, that sword should be enough as it is for vanity, i would think
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-10-11 01:45:02  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
and koggle is in his whirl set, that sword should be enough as it is for vanity, i would think

It would if it were Koggel vs. Jupiter's, Brave Grip however pulls it ahead by a fair amount. Stop trying to troll something that doesn't need to be >.>
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-10-11 01:49:33  
I've never heard of light depleting over time...wut? Anyway, I'm not sure how Pearl is, but I killed two Ephmeral mobs in Misareaux with azure killshot solo on BLM, and that was my only light I had gotten since entering the zone. Then, I killed a few Orobon and got two TEs in a row. Maybe just a fluke? But I've heard many others saying it worked for them too.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-10-11 01:50:01  
I'm not trolling damn it lol I'm asking seriously, because I don't have a set built for Vanity Dive... 3% dmg is "a fair amount"?
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-10-11 01:51:51  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I'm not trolling damn it lol I'm asking seriously, because I don't have a set built for Vanity Dive... 3% dmg is "a fair amount"?
Over 4 STR and -1 DEX, yes.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-10-11 02:14:29  
I dunno, 3% isn't that much even when looking at 4k base damage, that's only 120 extra damage. You'd have to really math it up though to work out whether other options (like STR or DEX shamshirs) would be better though I guess.

Quetzalcoatl.Longarm said:
Here is one from earlier. 2 hour str and mnd songs with azure lore chain efflux 300 tp whirl of rage.

The 4.2k i think got a sneak attack.
I'm pretty sure the 4.2k damage was the mob you were targeting. With aoe spells, only the mob you are targeting gets the bonus of Efflux (possibly CA too), while the rest just get the base damage. Whenever I use EFCA Benthic Typhoon on multiple mobs, one always takes significantly higher damage than the others.
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-03 08:00:34  
Odin.Blazza said:
I dunno, 3% isn't that much even when looking at 4k base damage, that's only 120 extra damage. You'd have to really math it up though to work out whether other options (like STR or DEX shamshirs) would be better though I guess.

Here is one from earlier. 2 hour str and mnd songs with azure lore chain efflux 300 tp whirl of rage.

The 4.2k i think got a sneak attack.
I'm pretty sure the 4.2k damage was the mob you were targeting. With aoe spells, only the mob you are targeting gets the bonus of Efflux (possibly CA too), while the rest just get the base damage. Whenever I use EFCA Benthic Typhoon on multiple mobs, one always takes significantly higher damage than the others.

ok okok seams ppl have no idea what these JA do so ill put it into a form you can understand(or try to)

Chain Affinity - Modifies WSC by a percent Variant on AF3 hat(+1 makes it 166% and +2 is rumored to be a 200% boost) but starting at 100% meaning that a 20% WSC becomes a 40% WSC for all hit of all spells(AOE or not). This ability also unlocks fTP variants for spells While all spells has a 0% tp multiplier when CA is not in affect some gain Higher fTP or other TP reliant boosts to damage, and of course opens up the spells Weapon skill property.

Efflux - This one is new so i could see ppl nto knowing much about it. All this ability does is at a 50% boost to base D(makes base D ((Blue magic skill*0.11)*3+3) not(Blue magic skill*0.11)*2+3)) and a 100% TP boost to spells( +200% for AF +1 pants) in every way do they stack as well as work on there own.

the reason that you are getting differences on AoE spells is because the Randomizer in the game has more chances to strike it big or hit it small
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-03 08:21:54  
Longarm said:
ok now to get to the real topic

the DEX set is ok there are just a few quorks i could see you making some Nasty numbers on lower lever mobs to say the least But<.< there are a few parts id have to disagree with. them being the Thunder Earrng , the jupiter's rings the back, the waist, and the gloves.

Well lets just go in order the earring while nice? would be about on par with a Minuet earring unless your Capping Fstr in that gear Witch in some situations i could see possible,but for a lot i couldn't see.

The Rings are also nice but Rajas would be king for this.

The back would be beat by a C mantle but id vote you know that so i'll daunt you in how a SM+1 will be close to that unless capping fstr again

now the belt :x same as for everything else warwolf will win because of the STR on it

ok ok nowww the one piece i thought i would never see in a casting build the evil sibios gloves ;;. Enkidu's mitts all the way for the same reasons as above

oh and if you dont know id shoot for about 170ish STR to cap fstr? its been awhile sense i looked into fSTR caps so it could be higher~( please correct me if you can i dont like that i cant pull that off the top of my head and know for sure ;;)

for the whirl set id vote that 1STR = 3.5MNDish(until Fstr cap so plan your gear based on that. so Ire torque, STR rings, and Alkys would be better than STR/MND gear.
By Emilrelda 2010-11-03 10:06:56  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Yeah that was 2 hour on the open mouth prudence, i sold my agi set but this is what it looked like when i used to do it.

I would make it look this now if i could.

ok, this is what I don't understand about some of your sets, and plz clarify this for me. I'm not the best blu out there and this is a genuine question. Why on earth would you have a staff on main hand for that spell (along with whirl of rage)? Isn't your m.acc for physical spells also in-part calculated by your melee acc? Blu has garbage staff skill. Is the stat mod (agi/dex which can easily be moded with swords with ToM) really worth the major loss of acc? Even with sushi which gives +% acc wouldn't hold much weight with a staff, would it?
f your question hasnt been answered magic acc/dmg im guessing for breath spells and such
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-03 10:27:25  
For Vanity dive/benthic with either SA or CA Loki's will actually be a better body to use than af. Also Cuch will probably be better for Vanity even if you are hitting fstr caps you can always switch out some str for dex. Or the newish +crit if you are SAing

I've yet to test using both crit hit Atmas but using them both probably wont be hitting fstr caps without trying. And with 50dex for vanity and 60% for benthic you should be gearing for stats. Especailly on CA
 Fenrir.Curty
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-03 12:12:39  
Jar said:
Longarm said:
ok now to get to the real topic the DEX set is ok there are just a few quorks i could see you making some Nasty numbers on lower lever mobs to say the least But<.< there are a few parts id have to disagree with. them being the Thunder Earrng , the jupiter's rings the back, the waist, and the gloves. Well lets just go in order the earring while nice? would be about on par with a Minuet earring unless your Capping Fstr in that gear Witch in some situations i could see possible,but for a lot i couldn't see. The Rings are also nice but Rajas would be king for this. The back would be beat by a C mantle but id vote you know that so i'll daunt you in how a SM+1 will be close to that unless capping fstr again now the belt :x same as for everything else warwolf will win because of the STR on it ok ok nowww the one piece i thought i would never see in a casting build the evil sibios gloves ;;. Enkidu's mitts all the way for the same reasons as above oh and if you dont know id shoot for about 170ish STR to cap fstr? its been awhile sense i looked into fSTR caps so it could be higher~( please correct me if you can i dont like that i cant pull that off the top of my head and know for sure ;;) for the whirl set id vote that 1STR = 3.5MNDish(until Fstr cap so plan your gear based on that. so Ire torque, STR rings, and Alkys would be better than STR/MND gear.

I said most/all of this already :-/
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-03 15:12:29  
Quetzalcoatl.Cloudxz said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Light's don't deplete do they =.=a?
I really don't know. I just heard from word of mouth that they do.
They do not.
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-03 15:13:07  
Fenrir.Curty said:
Jar said:
Longarm said:
ok now to get to the real topic the DEX set is ok there are just a few quorks i could see you making some Nasty numbers on lower lever mobs to say the least But<.< there are a few parts id have to disagree with. them being the Thunder Earrng , the jupiter's rings the back, the waist, and the gloves. Well lets just go in order the earring while nice? would be about on par with a Minuet earring unless your Capping Fstr in that gear Witch in some situations i could see possible,but for a lot i couldn't see. The Rings are also nice but Rajas would be king for this. The back would be beat by a C mantle but id vote you know that so i'll daunt you in how a SM+1 will be close to that unless capping fstr again now the belt :x same as for everything else warwolf will win because of the STR on it ok ok nowww the one piece i thought i would never see in a casting build the evil sibios gloves ;;. Enkidu's mitts all the way for the same reasons as above oh and if you dont know id shoot for about 170ish STR to cap fstr? its been awhile sense i looked into fSTR caps so it could be higher~( please correct me if you can i dont like that i cant pull that off the top of my head and know for sure ;;) for the whirl set id vote that 1STR = 3.5MNDish(until Fstr cap so plan your gear based on that. so Ire torque, STR rings, and Alkys would be better than STR/MND gear.

I said most/all of this already :-/
well i told him why.
 Sylph.Bodhizapha
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Bodhizapha 2010-11-04 23:33:46  
he's not trolling, it's a valid question. i was wondering the same thing. i couldn't figure out why a staff over swords.
 Diabolos.Yugl
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2010-11-05 00:19:12  
Sanguine Scythe + RR Atma for your SATA needs. Even with the most ridiculously shitty base damage, getting a 60% increase in a damage will do more for you than stat bonuses will (Especially when you consider that most of our gear is directed towards stat building).
 Diabolos.Slanderous
By Diabolos.Slanderous 2010-11-05 00:41:04  
Diabolos.Yugl said:
Sanguine Scythe + RR Atma for your SATA needs. Even with the most ridiculously shitty base damage, getting a 60% increase in a damage will do more for you than stat bonuses will (Especially when you consider that most of our gear is directed towards stat building).
Spoken like the true pimp you are sir.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-05 03:24:38  
Diabolos.Yugl said:
Actually no. I've been testing it a bit. RR + stout arm does decently more dmg than RR + SS. Even on spells that aren't str modded like Benthic typhoon

Like 4.5-4.9k with SS and 5k+ with Stout arm. This was on VT birds with full fantod of course lol
 Diabolos.Yugl
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2010-11-05 11:45:31  
You should try it without full Fantod. If it remains higher, you're going to have to start posting gear sets, spell sets, and buffs.

(D+fSTR+WSC)*Multiplier [Irrelevant]*1.6 [If SS + RR really do stack and are 30% Crit DMG increase each] v (D+fSTR+WSC)*Multiplier*1.3

I'll put (D) at the base BLU magic skill to skew it in favor of Stout Arm. With Efflux and 331 skill (Base at 85), D should be 111. (1.6/1.3) should yield 1.23 DMG increase for SS+RR over RR+SA.

(111+fSTR+WSC)*1.23 = (111+fSTR'+WSC)

Since you mentioned Benthic Typhoon (And since it makes the paperwork easier and Vanity Dive does not have a STR MOD% according to Wiki anyways), we'll go with that using Elvaan (Since it has the least AGI, which helps your case).

WSC = (.85[LV Correction])*(.6)*(AGI=64)
WSC = 32

(111+fSTR+32)*1.23 = (111+fSTR'+32)
(143+fSTR)*1.23 = (143+fSTR')

We'll give Stout Arm another advantage and say that fSTR=1 without it and fSTR = 11 (Max it can give) with Stout Arm.

RR+SS = (143+1)*(1.23) = 177.12
RR+SA = (143+11) = 154

Notice that this was when we put everything in favor of Stout Arm. The only qualifications that can explain what you're seeing are..
1. Hidden attack mod that is modified by STR (Rather than only BLU Skill as suggested by VXZ page)
2. According to BG-Wiki, this is only the base damage of the formula, so STR could affect something outside of it

Still, we'll need to see what exactly you were doing before panning this out and you'll need to text without Fantod.

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-05 11:53:58  
Last I heard the attack portion of pdif was something like 8+blu skill +str/2.

If the str wasn't adding to it the fantod couldn't make a difference between the 2 since it only modifies blu, regular and matt by % not base dmg. Also though I seriously doubt it the +attack on stout arm might be one of the few that actaully applies to blu spells. Atmas are weird things and not much testing has been done since it ya know eats up precious time. Probably not it's a possibility

Also from what I've been hearing on BG and other people testing it the dmg increase from just RR and RR+SS isn't much. Current thoughts are they are definitely additive and possible cap on +crit dmg.

Like I remember a nin in my ls was testing just RR then RR+SS. Iirc the dmg was only increasing by around 10-15% or so. Which suggest a +crit dmg cap of around 50% or so. Which is a nice cap SE does like to use sometimes

Either way the dmg difference was rather significant. I can do some more random bird pwning today. Lack of fantoding would make it easier
 Asura.Railock
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Railock 2010-11-20 11:33:43  
Wow, after seeing what SA can do for BT and VD makes me wonder if I should try these out on Einherjar's Odin in place of Cannonball. I got little ways to go to make sure I have optimal gear before I try it out.

As for Abyssea, I'm very thankful BLU does have a role for triggering yellow "!!" with elemental spells. I don't really go /THF all that often anyway since there's often a lot of kiting/AoE involved.