フォーラム » FFXIV » General » FFXIV - Win or Fail
FFXIV - Win or Fail
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15
 Phoenix.Authority
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 17:34:39  
This might sound dumb, but I was really hoping that FFXIV would be the true successor to FFXI. Right now I'm having an extremely hard time deciding if I will love it or hate it.

Right now it seems that there are a lot of things going on that make it seem SE isn't listening to their NA (soon to be) customers. If you've played the beta, I'm sure you've experienced the clumsy UI and mouse controls for one.

Don't take this the wrong way, I want to love this game. I just can't tell if it is going to go the way of Aion or not. I know its only a beta and it might change at release, but there isn't much time.

What do you guys think? Do you think it is going to do well? If not, what do you think they need to change prior to it succeeding?

Edit - if you could, try and keep flaming out of this. It is simply a place for opinion, as we don't know what the finished product could be. As we've seen in the past, SE is completely different from other gaming companies. Most open betas are just glorified demos. Who knows if SE is holding things back from us.
[+]
 Siren.Maximillion
サーバ: Siren
user: mozart
By Siren.Maximillion 2010-09-11 17:41:59  
Am I the only one who is having framerate issues even though my GPU is pretty mid range and processor/ram is pretty strong. Even if I put all the settings to low, it gets worse.
 Leviathan.Hastefeet
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-09-11 17:43:28  
I personally like FFXIV more than FFXI

But that's just my personal opinion

it's really all personal preference
[+]
 Lakshmi.Septroth
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2010-09-11 17:44:57  
the mouse controls kind of kill it for me and how you cant put the camera controls on the arrow keys easily I tried to change the keyboard controls and it wouldn't let me take the camera off IJKL
By Artemicion 2010-09-11 17:47:13  
Try not to think of XIV as a "predecessor" to XI. They're two completely different games with different appearance, style, gameplay, story, music, environments, objectives, etc.

Ultimately it comes down to finding which will be most fun for you over a long period of time. But by no means is XIV supposed to be the "superior" MMO over XI, simply the next step in FF online.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Septroth
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2010-09-11 17:50:22  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Lakshmi.Septroth said:
the mouse controls kind of kill it for me and how you cant put the camera controls on the arrow keys easily I tried to change the keyboard controls and it wouldn't let me take the camera off IJKL

I managed to make the run keys like the numberpad, but last I played.. xiv unfortunately wouldn't let me put the camera controls as arrow keys. Only standard a-z etc. :/

yea that's what I did not like I don't want to use 2 hands to move/ move the camera or else you really cant move and type at the same time you have to stop and sit there while your talking to some one. or if you do run you cant move the camera and you get your *** reamed by the mob with a red shield you did not see

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Zekko 2010-09-11 17:52:27  
Phoenix.Authority said:
Right now I'm having an extremely hard time deciding if I will love it or hate it.

Implying SE have ever listened to their customers

And as for the thread title, imo fail.
[+]
By Zekko 2010-09-11 17:53:08  
Phoenix.Authority said:
Right now it seems that there are a lot of things going on that make it seem SE isn't listening to their NA (soon to be) customers.

Gah quoted the wrong thing
By Artemicion 2010-09-11 17:55:54  
On a side note:
The beta is simply too buggy and merely serves as a peephole as to what reflects the final release. (God, I hope so)
Though you may certainly get a "feel" for how FFXIV will be when it is released. But alas, as with any online game, content and functions will change, and as a result so will the game as a whole. For the past 7-8 years FFXI updates have been slow and steady, mediocre yet generous, but as of late have been as benevolent as Santa Claus on ecstasy, dramatically changing the overall direction of the game.

So we'll have to see what XIV has to offer from the start, and what direction subsequent updates will move it.
 Phoenix.Authority
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 17:58:01  
Zekko said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Right now it seems that there are a lot of things going on that make it seem SE isn't listening to their NA (soon to be) customers.

The thing is, it seemed like at first they were actually trying. And then I see in some interviews them shocked to find out North Americans use a mouse to play computer games, among other things.
By Zekko 2010-09-11 18:00:57  
Phoenix.Authority said:
Zekko said:
Phoenix.Authority said:

The thing is, it seemed like at first they were actually trying. And then I see in some interviews them shocked to find out North Americans use a mouse to play computer games, among other things.

Idk, i dont like the game its a step back from FFXI in terms of gameplay and general playability. Sure the graphics are nice but there are just some poorly executed things in the game that annoy me.
 Garuda.Trunksc
サーバ: Garuda
user: trunksc
By Garuda.Trunksc 2010-09-11 18:01:14  
I've been playing the beta and I do like it. The laggy gui is the main thing that frustrates me, but other then that i think its great. I'll have the same goal I did in XI, fun. I've been playing XI for 7 years, and there are alot of people I'll miss, but it seems I'll enjoy XIV more, so much to explore and learn.

Don't get me wrong, XI is a great game, but I want to try something new.
By Artemicion 2010-09-11 18:04:31  
I actually kind of liked how FFXI only needed keyboard input to fully function. However, with a more open environment and the tactful direction of gameplay XIV has taken, I can certainly see a practical use for mouse use now.

My only concern at the moment is the rather ridiculous hardware demands the software requires. Though dual/quad cores and 4 GB of ram are fairly standard these days, the game still requires to push the bar to meet what I would consider comfortable flow of gameplay as far as framerate and performance goes. Not to mention how fickle the software is with specific GPUs, drivers, etc.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 18:04:59  
Phoenix.Authority said:
I know its only a beta and it might change at release
Artemicion said:
On a side note:
The beta is simply too buggy and merely serves as a peephole as to what reflects the final release. (God, I hope so)
Though you may certainly get a "feel" for how FFXIV will be when it is released. But alas, as with any online game, content and functions will change, and as a result so will the game as a whole. For the past 7-8 years FFXI updates have been slow and steady, mediocre yet generous, but as of late have been as benevolent as Santa Claus on ecstasy, dramatically changing the overall direction of the game.

So we'll have to see what XIV has to offer from the start, and what direction subsequent updates will move it.
Lakshmi.Septroth said:

First quote: Simple enough, and what means the most from it. Thank you for knowing the main thing to keep in mind.

Second quote: About same concept. They maybe giving the basics at launch, and add stuff in like with ffxi to makeit last along time, instead of everything at launc so everyone played it, gets everything capped, gets bored and quits.

Last quote: I hate people who complain about keyboard/clicking. If you don't like being a clicker/typer, get a cpu controler. They only cost like, 10-20bucks, and then allow you to move and control camera, and even type at the same time.. They intended FFXIV to be CONTROLLER and thats why tons apon tons of people have been complaining about the keyboard/mounce controls. (Personal experience was a friend was playing beta, and was trying to use keyboard/mouse, she said she thinks she would need 7 hands to play it that way. She plugged in a controler, and everything became easy.)
 Asura.Monknorris
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Monknorris 2010-09-11 18:07:43  
i like it ffxiv alot more than ffxi other than a few bugs in the beta i think it can be a amazing game
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-09-11 18:07:56  
Phoenix.Authority said:
This might sound dumb, but I was really hoping that FFXIV would be the true successor to FFXI. Right now I'm having an extremely hard time deciding if I will love it or hate it.
Right now it seems that there are a lot of things going on that make it seem SE isn't listening to their NA (soon to be) customers. If you've played the beta, I'm sure you've experienced the clumsy UI and mouse controls for one.
Don't take this the wrong way, I want to love this game. I just can't tell if it is going to go the way of Aion or not. I know its only a beta and it might change at release, but there isn't much time.
What do you guys think? Do you think it is going to do well? If not, what do you think they need to change prior to it succeeding?

Ahhh where do I begin! lol. x_X

There's so many bad things I can say about both FFXIV and FFXI, but there's also a lot of good too...

The main thing I'm trying to focus on is the play-style, FFXIV seems very soloable/duoable thus far, granted some of the guildlevels for soloers can be a royal pain in the asscheeks, and the need to rely on crafters for armor can be tedious for those who don't like to craft.

I like that levelling seems to be very easy~going so far, pack out a few guildleves each day and build yourself up slow and steady. The levels also give a nice amount of cash and exp so it's hard to run out of money early on if you're wise with your spending. Things NPC for a decent amount too which isn't bad... not sure how it'd be later on in the game though.

I find this game more on the social side of things but without being forced to group up with 17~ other people you don't know but this could change in the future again.

I dislike the UI at the moment, I find it clumsy and ill thought out. I found auto run though! *yay!* haha. I wish that the macro/action bar could be moved, that would make things a lot simpler, or even greater freedom with the control settings. I miss my one-handed running!
I have found it's also nigh-impossible to communicate while you're fighting which bugs me. As much as I hated FFXIs auto-attack I didn't realize how much of a blessing it was until starting this game.

I think with a few tweaks made, I may enjoy FFXIV a little more than XI, simply because of the solo or lowman aspect. As much as I love my friends, I don't like to be a bother and be all "Well I need to camp this... want to help me kill this? Oh but I can't solo this mission.... WHAT?! D: We can't 4man dyna?!;~;" and so on lol.

Another thing that bugs me about FFXIV is Anima.... it's so slow to regenerate! :( lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-09-11 18:08:23  
Artemicion said:
Try not to think of XIV as a "predecessor" to XI. They're two completely different games with different appearance, style, gameplay, story, music, environments, objectives, etc.

Ultimately it comes down to finding which will be most fun for you over a long period of time. But by no means is XIV supposed to be the "superior" MMO over XI, simply the next step in FF online.
this^

i've heard so many people say that they were disappointed in how XIV looks or feels compared to XI and such, but it really is a new game entirely (with the same races >.>)

and i really don't think this game will have such a crap UI on release, no respectable game company would let that slide, especially SE. and i'm not counting last remnant cause they care MUCH more about an FF title. and closed beta the arrow key camera was in a "to be fixed" issues thing by the developers, so... i'd think they still plan to fix that, pretty sure they're trying to find a way to make it work since the arrow keys are used for all the menus.

and as cliff found, it looks like its very possible SE will put in the hardware mouse, i mean it IS there. all the bugs and UI slowdown aside, i find XIV very very fun. i will continue to play XI as well though, but that works out, cause XIV isn't XI+1, its just a new MMO, FF style
By Zekko 2010-09-11 18:10:09  
Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Artemicion said:
On a side note:

Lakshmi.Septroth said:

First quote: Simple enough, and what means the most from it. Thank you for knowing the main thing to keep in mind.

Second quote: About same concept. They maybe giving the basics at launch, and add stuff in like with ffxi to makeit last along time, instead of everything at launc so everyone played it, gets everything capped, gets bored and quits.

Last quote: I hate people who complain about keyboard/clicking. If you don't like being a clicker/typer, get a cpu controler. They only cost like, 10-20bucks, and then allow you to move and control camera, and even type at the same time.. They intended FFXIV to be CONTROLLER and thats why tons apon tons of people have been complaining about the keyboard/mounce controls. (Personal experience was a friend was playing beta, and was trying to use keyboard/mouse, she said she thinks she would need 7 hands to play it that way. She plugged in a controler, and everything became easy.)

I'm getting sick of the "but its a beta!" excuse. Its going to be released in about 2 weeks. 95% of what you see in the Beta now is going to be in the retail version. So please stop using Beta as an excuse for the games setbacks.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-09-11 18:10:51  

I've always been a keyboard player, having to drop the controller every time I want to talk to someone really annoys me lol.

You can play the entire thing without Mouse, it's not that hard. But with the lack of freedom at the moment to set your own controls, that is what spoils the game at this time. There's NO need for us to go out and buy a controller, they just need to let us have a little more customization to our style of play :p
 Gilgamesh.Brineri
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Brineri
By Gilgamesh.Brineri 2010-09-11 18:11:21  
not sure how everyone has such an issue with the gameplay via mouse etc. i play on laptop with no plug-ins and no mouse or gamepad. i just autorun quite often so the camera will go where it needs to
By Artemicion 2010-09-11 18:11:27  
By definition and purpose, it is a legitimate excuse Zekko.
However, I most certainly share your fears in what the beta has delivered in combination with the ever closing gap between intended release date and what is on our plates right now with the beta.
 Asura.Monknorris
By Asura.Monknorris 2010-09-11 18:13:37  
Zekko said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Artemicion said:
On a side note:

Lakshmi.Septroth said:

I'm getting sick of the "but its a beta!" excuse. Its going to be released in about 2 weeks. 95% of what you see in the Beta now is going to be in the retail version. So please stop using Beta as an excuse for the games setbacks.
well in 2 weeks people cant say that but atm its just a beta
By Zekko 2010-09-11 18:15:42  
Artemicion said:
However, I most certainly share your fears in what the beta has delivered in combination with the ever closing gap between intended release date and what is on our plates right now with the beta.

Prehaps it is a legitimate excuse but it wont change that the game is on course for a rocky/bad release. At the moment it feels like any other korean grinder mmo. I could list a fair amount of things that would make the game 10x better
 Diabolos.Delson
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Delson
By Diabolos.Delson 2010-09-11 18:16:13  
not really sure what to think of the game yet... i wish the controls were a bit different. but for it being a beta... its not bad.
By Artemicion 2010-09-11 18:16:57  
Zekko said:
Artemicion said:

Prehaps it is a legitimate excuse but it wont change that the game is on course for a rocky/bad release. At the moment it feels like any other korean grinder mmo. I could list a fair amount of things that would make the game 10x better

Can always email Square-Enix these great ideas.

[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-09-11 18:17:51  
as far as the "its just beta" things goes, its pretty valid in this case. if you were in closed beta you must have noticed something. SE only does updates and maint for server problems, all UI clunks, battle system issues, and other obvious bugs that don't actually prevent us from playing, weren't dealt with until the end of that session. after alpha the entire battle system was redone, same with beta 2-3 (beta 1 and 2 were basically the same) and when 3 went to open. so i think a LOT of the system issues and such have been fixed, but wont be released until release.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 18:18:01  
Zekko said:

Who's to say they're not going to change everything to the final setting for launch? From what I've gathered, open beta is same as closed beta but new cities.

Edit:
Bismarck.Patrik said:
as far as the "its just beta" things goes, its pretty valid in this case. if you were in closed beta you must have noticed something. SE only does updates and maint for server problems, all UI clunks, battle system issues, and other obvious bugs that don't actually prevent us from playing, weren't dealt with until the end of that session. after alpha the entire battle system was redone, same with beta 2-3 (beta 1 and 2 were basically the same) and when 3 went to open. so i think a LOT of the system issues and such have been fixed, but wont be released until release.

Patrik beat me to it D:
First Page 2 ... 13 14 15