Which Magian Staff For Drain/aspir?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Which Magian staff for drain/aspir?
Which Magian staff for drain/aspir?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-09-02 06:10:50  
I read the earlier post about drain/aspir but it didn't really say anything as to which magian staff would be best for it, the potency or accurcay yama's staff. To my understanding, drain/aspir is affected by both potency and accuracy? I was planning on getting the +4 accuracy yama's staff for sleep (and selling pluto's) and just wondering how it would change drain and aspir.

Thanks!
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-02 06:37:26  
I'm not sure if there is way to tell without just getting both and testing. And even then it would depend on gearing and mob mevv and such.

I will say this much. Diabolos staff is 25% (same as trial) potency and 0 macc and overall does about the same as plutos for me.

So I'd say they both have potential. I was gunna do macc for sleeps... but then I remembered there wasn't anything that I could sleep that I couldn't sleep easily
 Shiva.Superdan
サーバ: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-02 16:08:47  
I don't understand how anyone has the will to do more than thunder/ice magian trials for blm..

BLM trials suck =[ so much resting mp's.. Hopefully /42rdm will help me with this >_>

I've got no idea which staff would be best for drain/aspir though..

/Contributes nothing to this thread
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-09-02 20:21:31  
well imma do the 4 macc yama's staff, since i figure there's already a lot of +potency to drain and aspir gear around; macc never hurts.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-09-02 21:19:00  
Shiva.Superdan said:
I don't understand how anyone has the will to do more than thunder/ice magian trials for blm..

BLM trials suck =[ so much resting mp's.. Hopefully /42rdm will help me with this >_>

As a BLM /WHM/and SCH I did the Surya's staff first <3 my cure potency /cheer

Then started Thunder-dmg and Earth-acc (I am also a BRD)

I am loathe to give up my aquilo's staff though for the TotM Staff due to the + skill on it =/ I am not convinced it will be any better then my aquilo's. Thoughts?
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-03 06:06:37  
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Shiva.Superdan said:

As a BLM /WHM/and SCH I did the Surya's staff first <3 my cure potency /cheer

Then started Thunder-dmg and Earth-acc (I am also a BRD)

I am loathe to give up my aquilo's staff though for the TotM Staff due to the + skill on it =/ I am not convinced it will be any better then my aquilo's. Thoughts?

Aquillo's will win on acc, but I believe the magian trial will still trump it flat out sheer damage.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-03 06:29:11  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
well imma do the 4 macc yama's staff, since i figure there's already a lot of +potency to drain and aspir gear around; macc never hurts.
There's not really that much gear to help boost your drains (dark magic gear is pretty scarce)...Especially not by 10% (over pluto's, but 25% itself). In fact, I can only think offhand of three slots that enhance drain/aspir directly and just a few small upgrades to dark magic (other than AF pants, which are a good chunk). Magic accuracy certainly can't hurt you, but there is a point at which it stops benefiting you, and there's plenty more macc available than straight potency gear. I don't really think it is worth investing time in dark damage potency, though, as it's only a very small part of your arsenal and aspir doesn't even work in all situations. If you really wanted to make one, an accuracy staff would at least have the benefit of helping your sleeps, but then again, there isn't much I can think of that can be slept that can't be slept relatively easily. If you are intent on making a dark staff, I'd say potency is the way to go, solely because it doesn't cap anywhere, whilst accuracy does.

Also, Angel, I'd suggest waiting until after the 85 increase to make an ice damage staff. I've been noticing getting a lot of resists with my ice DMG+3 teiwaz on abyssea mobs, but it could just be a coincidence. You have to keep your Aquilo's staff around anyway for resisty stuff, unfortunately. D:

EDIT: Hope you(OP) see my post before you get too far on your staff to change your mind, if you change your mind. Don't want you to make something you might regret.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-09-03 11:54:12  
Vampiric Boots/mitts is 30%
excelsis ring is 5%
hirudinea earring with w/e its effect is

thats a good chunk of potency adding in +dark skill gear

i'll see how it goes; can always make a new one^^b it's just a game.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-03 11:59:48  
Yes trial dmg staffs are less accurate. But it's only 10 less macc. Or 22.5-25 on ice one. There is no where else you can trade a mere 10macc for a 8.7% increase in dmg.

Hell you could probably trade 22 macc in other slots for less than an 8% loss in dmg.

For example just switching a 5mab glove for af is 15macc for what would be less than a 3% dmg loss.

As far as dark gear goes I think I saw some recent testing that showed it doesn't add anymore potency past 300 skill...

I actually had a much easier time with trial staffs than say blu swds... gogo 1 shotting pets for half of it lol
 Bismarck.Gael
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-09-03 12:04:04  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
As far as dark gear goes I think I saw some recent testing that showed it doesn't add anymore potency past 300 skill...

Is it true for aspir 2 ?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-03 12:08:51  
Bismarck.Gael said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Is it true for aspir 2 ?
Doubt it's been tested. Until recently it took a bit of gearing for a drk to even get 300+ lol
 Bismarck.Gael
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-09-03 12:16:22  
oki oki, i will wait a bit before toss my gear so xD
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-03 12:18:11  
It still effects macc. And aspir definitely needs all the macc it can get. Unless you can get potency in that slot usually
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-05 12:27:03  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yes trial dmg staffs are less accurate. But it's only 10 less macc. Or 22.5-25 on ice one. There is no where else you can trade a mere 10macc for a 8.7% increase in dmg.

Hell you could probably trade 22 macc in other slots for less than an 8% loss in dmg.

For example just switching a 5mab glove for af is 15macc for what would be less than a 3% dmg loss.

I actually had a much easier time with trial staffs than say blu swds... gogo 1 shotting pets for half of it lol

Spiders. Wind weather. Sucks. D:
 Fairy.Basilo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-09-05 12:36:08  
Shiva.Superdan said:
I don't understand how anyone has the will to do more than thunder/ice magian trials for blm.. BLM trials suck =[ so much resting mp's.. Hopefully /42rdm will help me with this >_> I've got no idea which staff would be best for drain/aspir though.. /Contributes nothing to this thread

Lol, ive completed 6/8 staffs nearly now they dont take that long unless you get MPK'd. Aga'ing ep mobs isnt that bad only trial that takes a long time really is undead mobs and we can just solo 150 or 200 doom warlocks in gustav tunnel and earn gil from it too (blizzaga3 doesnt drop in eldieme). ATM ive completed ice, thunder, fire, cure pot+17%, water and am bout 80% through wind staff and 20%ish of eart staff. As for dark element staff im not sure myself on this one, ill wait to see if they up the acc to +2 on the +4dmg ones possibly then ill start it.

I think robber crabs in kuftal tunnel was my fastest trial fully buffed blm can manage to aga well over 10 to 13ish max and can aspir them too. I think I was reaching about 60 to 70 per hour. Of course the best mob to do when its 50 of any mob on 1 elemental day is chigoes in grauberg and for soma staff need 75 vermin again on watersday. I managed to do 50 of any mob warp get next trial fit in 10 more then did last 65 on next watersday was pretty sweet. Should only need to jump between 3 bushes b4 1st bush repops 2 chigoes, thundaga3 even with a teiwaz on should 1 shot em both.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-05 15:28:24  
I only bothered againg on weather. Since I could gather ahead of time and just hold. Otherwise it was just faster and much easier for me to do 1 maybe 2 at a time. Granted this was at 75 so no convert. Which means I generally couldn't break even just keeping mobs asleep if one half resisted