フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Homam vs Aurore
Homam vs Aurore
 Phoenix.Juggalo
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-07-12 13:01:18  
Hi all,

I was looking at the Aurore set and noticed right off the bat that Aurore Legs beat the pants (haha) off of Homam Legs. This blew my mind because I'm second in line in my LS for Limbus points and just about everybody holds them to spend on Homam Legs (in my LS, points clear when you get a Homam piece and you start back at 0). I already have Homam feet that I use, as well as Homam hear (lol freelot), so I've been holding for Legs, with one guy ahead of me in points also holding out for Homam Legs. So basically I've gotta wait for 2 pairs of Legs to drop.

However, once I saw the Aurore Legs, I took a look again at Homam pieces and thought that maybe I'd be better off getting a Homam Body piece for my THF (and other jobs that could make use of it, but thinking THF primarily here). For one thing, for TP, I think it still is better than Aurore Doublet. For another, it adds the Triple Attack bonus that other pieces (and certainly Aurore) in its slot do not have.

So I was thinking... someone on the DRG board actually did one of those crazy mathematical comparisons of Perle vs Askar... as far as Homam vs Aurore goes, what do you guys think about slot vs slot? And, as a bonus, whadya think about me springing for Homam body and saying "eh" to Homam legs?
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-07-12 13:06:05  
I was actually wondering the same thing, I've been after homam legs and feet for my thf for ages and have so far not had luck getting them. I want them mainly for the haste, which aurore has.

My only problem is that I am considering leveling blu and pld later (I like to level new jobs just to play with them) and if I decided I liked either of those enough to level all the way, I would likely want homam for them. Of course, not having leveled them yet, I haven't looked at other blu or pld gear so I don't know for sure.

If aurore is just as good as homam for thf, though, I could sit back and let other people in my ls get the homam that want them, which would make them happy because they'd have their gear and which would make me happy because after they all have it, I could get it for ~free points-wise.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-07-12 13:06:07  
If you are using for thf only, yes Aurore legs are better. If you are using for blu or pld, homam can be better in some situations where you want the fast cast.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-07-12 13:06:48  
Going to miss out oon fast cast, witch is REALLY nice for Utsu, but, I would still get Aurore, for TP.

It sucks, since I just got homam a week or two before the update.

D:
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-12 13:20:37  
Aurore Legs are better for TPing.

Homam legs are better for casting Utsusemi.

If you have Homam legs already, I would still get Aurore legs for TPing. (they're not expensive to buy, though also really not hard to get by just farming the Cruor.)

If you don't have Homam legs, then you can choose to pass Homam legs, and just get Aurore legs for now. Then later on get Homam legs for your Utsusemi casting. (Also nice for other jobs... like other people mentioned etc.)

Those should be the options. Your choice.
 Bismarck.Yor
サーバ: Bismarck
user: poff
By Bismarck.Yor 2010-07-12 13:22:08  
Aurore for tping Homam for shadows as thf.
The +15 accuracy on the homam body alone is enough to make pass on pants unless you want them for your drg.

Drg it depends on you if you prefer 5 dex and 6 add accuracy over 1% haste to tp with but homam pants on drg/mage are great due the fastcast, about the homam body drg doesn't need the +15 acc so askar is preferable to tp with if you have it

About the aurore doublet I dont know much about it not playing by long.
 Phoenix.Venjegol
サーバ: Phoenix
user: venjegol
By Phoenix.Venjegol 2010-07-12 13:23:02  
This is a great topic and it will be in the minds of many FFXI players for sometime. I posted a similar question but it was regarding Dyna gear/relics. With the addition of levels and new gear that will come out, not to mention the gear now available at almost no cost, some of this nearly impossible to get gear will become outdated and pointless to get. My take on relics is.. why spend 120-150 million gil upgrading when by the time it is all set and done it will almost be a "meh" weapon compare to w/e will be out for a lvl 99. You are seeing it now with Homam. Something that has taken ppl yrs to get is basically being replace by something that is free and easily obtainable.. just my opinion thats all.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-07-12 13:23:15  

Homam

Set Bonus Summary

* Defense +146
* HP +127
* MP +127
* Accuracy +32
* Ranged Accuracy +6
* Magic Accuracy +4
* Haste +12%
* Enmity +3
* Enhances "Triple Attack" effect
* Enhances "Fast Cast" effect
* Wyvern: HP +50

Aurore
Set Summary

* Defense +160
* STR +8
* DEX +13
* AGI +12
* Evasion +13
* Accuracy+17
* Ranged Accuracy+17
* Double Attack+2%
* Haste+11%
* Enhances Snapshot effect
* Set:Store TP+8

For the jobs that can wear homam its still wins imo
Auro looks great for the non Homam jobs. Peice by peice auro only wins with the legs.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-07-12 13:27:26  
Venjegol, relics have been given additional damage every step of the way. They are not outdated now, and I would suspect they will not be outdated. The trials continue to improve their damage.

Back on topic: If I were you OP, I would pass on homam legs unless you really feel you need them for your Utsusemi. I have a feeling by the next update, the homam legs will be surpassed in all aspects anyway.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-12 13:28:42  
Basically what the above post says.

Homam Hands, Homam Feet are still amazing. Aurore Body for TP is probably better than Homam when you're needing ACC, but most of the time Raparee should be your goal. Aurore Legs obviously trump Homam legs, minus Utsu casting. Honestly, if I had Homam legs, I'd use tham over Aurore because it saves an inventory space, and homam look alot more attractive.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-12 13:30:09  
On blu I'd still use homam legs. My tp sets acc is more than fine and the fast cast as well as hp/mp are somewhat useful. Plus I already got it
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-07-12 13:48:06  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
On blu I'd still use homam legs. My tp sets acc is more than fine and the fast cast as well as hp/mp are somewhat useful. Plus I already got it
Unless you cast all your blue magic spells, in hp/mp+, then that for homam isn't going to matter at all. If you use Enkidu legs for physical blue magic for example, the extra hp/mp gone in a single cast.

As for the fast cast, macro onry. Aurore win for tp'ing. If you're overshooting acc, then swap acc from other places to compensate.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-12 13:50:41  
If by all you mean the ones where I am near max mp then yes I do.

As far as swapping acc from other slots... look at it this way my full dmg spell set has almost no acc in it. If my tp set needs more acc than homam peices my spell set will need alot more.

Not like there is anything to really swap out aside from the 6 haste helm which I don't have and the haste neck which is debatable
 Hades.Tripster
サーバ: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2010-07-12 14:02:29  
I deeply wish SE will make all RE/EX pieces we get from these "old" end-game events able to enhance them with magian trials.

They have stated they will do that to gear also, but so far, nothing.

I wish we can, because like you pointed, homam pants got obliterated by aurore for THFs.
[+]
 Hades.Tripster
サーバ: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2010-07-12 14:03:48  
Funny thing is once my Limbus Shell almost broke cause i got it for THF... and I still don't have full set after a loooong time. And now you can get better stuff in what? 1h30 of abyssea?
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-12 16:58:32  
Hades.Tripster said:
Funny thing is once my Limbus Shell almost broke cause i got it for THF... and I still don't have full set after a loooong time. And now you can get better stuff in what? 1h30 of abyssea?

30k on AH.
 Asura.Shamaya
サーバ: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-07-12 23:05:27  
Yeah, I think unless you're very serious about utsusemi recast, I'd go with a different option. To be honest, I have so much gear on me now that I don't even carry Homam Legs or Loquacious Earring on me anymore for recast (maybe I should).

Your choices are really hands and body. If you want to go by what is going to improve your DPS the most right now, I'd say that most likely the hands over dusk would give you a better improvement than the body over aurore. But I like the way homam body looks and I think I'd feel cooler wearing the body. Either way, the improvement is about the same.

Obviously homam's 4 acc is usually preferred to dusk's 5atk (and hardly important movement slowdown).

On aurore vs homam body, I would argue homam is better. It comes out to be that homam body will give you 5 more accuracy, and 1% triple attack is just slightly better than 2% double attack, assuming double attack procs before triple (which we think is true). Aurore will probably give you 2 attack, 1 more base damage on your weapons (from the str), and /maybe/ (most likely not) 1% more crit. The 1% crit is unlikely and if you move that aside, what you're really looking at is 4 str vs 5acc. IE like meleeing in a sniper vs meleeing in a ruby ring. Generally the 5acc will probably be more useful.

However, a lot of people that play thief also choose to augment ACP body for thief. If you do that, go for the 10accuracy 3% dual-wield body, which is even better than homam for Thf TP gain. It's also not bad at all for WS. So if you plan to get one of those, you might just be best going for homam hands.