users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » TP and WS Sets
TP and WS Sets
 Asura.Frenesc
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Frenesc
By Asura.Frenesc 2010-07-11 22:13:34  
Hello, I finally got around to making some sets for my THF and was wondering what your guys opinions are.

TP Set

I know I need to get Chiv Chain, Amemet+1, and Homam Feet. For now I'm pretty content with this set.

WS Set

Not really happy with this set. I'm working on Heca for WS. I average about a 1.3k SA-DE with this set and don't really know if that's decent or not.

Any opinions of what else I need? I can pretty much get anything it'll just take time.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-11 22:30:57  
TP: Better offhand, something like a Blau would be nice as a placeholder (so weird saying this). Bomblet/Core when you don't need ranged. Chiv Chain/PCC or better as you said. Brutal Earring for Ear2, failing this a Minuet Earring or something. Dusk or Aurore feet until Homam.

WS: I'll let someone else answer cause something just came up needing my attention ingame.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vouki
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Vouki
By Leviathan.Vouki 2010-07-11 22:42:38  
Just throw dex & failing this, attack anywhere you can really, Spike Earrings, Af hands, emp. hairpin are some pretty cheap/free upgrades. Assuming you're using SA like you said, ditch the ohat, there's no need for acc on ws. Like Raen said bomblet/core, brutal and minuet are good peice's and can carry over into ws's. Other than that, you seem to know what you need to work towards.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
サーバ: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-07-11 22:54:41  
I stack up as much str/dex and attack gear as I can find for w/e slot. I don't have much (ie: one piece) of heca (feet) but that gets macro'd in along with dusk legs for att +14 and tarasque mitts for another 10. Ya I know it has -5 chr but tbh I've hardly noticed any difference in dmg. I quite often rip off 1.4k non-SA DE's on page one mobs in Terrigan. So I'm not gonna complain about it. Other than what the others and the things you already said you are needing your set up is pretty good. Might wanna look for a head piece other than ohat...att, str/dex is all good. I ws in Walkure mask that I Aug'd with chr+1 (go figure). Thf's a hoot once you get all the ***figured out. See ya on the battlefield!
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-11 23:50:06  
Leviathan.Vouki said:
there's no need for acc on ws.

That is pretty dumb, unless we're talking about a single hit WS... But I'm assuming he is using Dancing Edge since he said it in the OP.
Asura.Frenesc said:
Any opinions of what else I need? I can pretty much get anything it'll just take time.

If you're TPing, use TP gear only..

If you're WSing, use gear that enhances the WS or JA that you're using.. Only..

Lose the spike necklace for your tp set, and use an accuracy peice... Tiercel Necklace would be better than the spike <.<..

Lose the evasion earring.. This isn't your evasion set.. This is your TP set.. I would recommend a brutal earring for that slot.

As for your weapons.. Is there really even a point using dual wield if you're using two high delay weapons?

Change the ammo slots too. Unless you're soloing, I'd have anything equipped besides a crossbow.

The denali gamashes need to go as well. Needz Moar Haste.

For SA..

Two Dex earrings, and a better hand slot; Maybe something with some DEX?
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-07-12 00:07:13  
OP since you have iota ring I will assume you have an einj ls? If so try to get Kubira Bead Necklace. I am not sure how good the delta earring is since of the -3 enmity.

Good luck on heca OP

Aurore Beret 4dex/agi

Tumbler Trunks looks hot if people figure out how to get this
[Legs] All Races
DEF:31 DEX+5 CHR+5 Attack+18
LV 79 WAR RDM THF PLD DRK BST BRD RNG SAM NIN DRG BLU COR DNC

edit: Oh I see
Spawned by trading Gargantuan Black Tiger Fang to ??? at C-7 Abyssea - La Theine
 Leviathan.Vouki
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Vouki
By Leviathan.Vouki 2010-07-12 00:38:51  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Leviathan.Vouki said:

That is pretty dumb, unless we're talking about a single hit WS... But I'm assuming he is using Dancing Edge since he said it in the OP.

I've never seen any need for any acc during SA(or even TA). I'm not sure if it's guaranteed acc on every hit, but even if it isn't I've never had a problem going full on dex/atk, and I've never heard of a thf gearing for acc unless your using it with no buffs, in which case obviously acc is needed.
 Asura.Frenesc
By Asura.Frenesc 2010-07-12 01:22:13  
Okay well I did some looking around and these are the best sets that I can probably get.

TP

WS

Thanks for the advice.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kireime
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kireina
By Quetzalcoatl.Kireime 2010-07-12 01:35:46  
Leviathan.Vouki said:
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Leviathan.Vouki said:

I've never seen any need for any acc during SA(or even TA). I'm not sure if it's guaranteed acc on every hit, but even if it isn't I've never had a problem going full on dex/atk, and I've never heard of a thf gearing for acc unless your using it with no buffs, in which case obviously acc is needed.

SA only guarantees 100%acc on the first 2 hits. If you're dual wielding, it's 100%acc on the first hit and your offhand hit. That means the 4 other hits of Dancing Edge need acc. The bulk of DE's dmg, and any multi-hit WS for that matter, comes from landing each and every hit.

A very useful tool for determining your acc/hit rate and creating gearsets for tp/ws is FFXICalc (http://www.ffxicalculator.com). Here are some reference numbers for 95% at different events, based @ lvl 75: G.birds- 405acc; Einherjar- 430acc; city dyna/limbus- 380acc, more for certain NMs; dyna Tav/Xarc- 400acc, 415acc for NMs; Odin- 450acc; salvage- 400acc pre-boss, 420 boss.

The key to doing the most dmg over time is to keep as high of acc as possible. However, you can't forget the all important haste. Use this equation to figure out the acc equivalent adding another point of haste: (100-OLDHASTE)/(100-NEWHASTE) = 1 + x/(2*HITRATE) solve for x.
If the haste is worth more acc than a strictly +acc piece, use the haste piece.

I hope this all makes sense.

*edit* Bonus link for help in making your SA/TA sets: http://shamayaasura.livejournal.com/7505.html
[+]
 Sylph.Darkei
サーバ: Sylph
user: Darkei
By Sylph.Darkei 2010-07-12 01:55:41  
Asura.Frenesc said:
Okay well I did some looking around and these are the best sets that I can probably get.

TP

WS

Thanks for the advice.

TP- throw tiercel and buy Peacock charm unless you eat soile sushi+1 full time, try buy toreador/sniper+1 over Iota

WS- get the Sea gorget (Soil gorget) o PCC for WS, kubira no is bad, but best more acc, dancing edge is multy hit, as penta trust, if no have enough acc decrease your WS damage if no enter the five hits.

Also brutal suppa for WS, why? because you can hit more when end WS, sometimes the WS animation no end but you are hiting more, if triple/double attack pop after WS is best.

Fire bomblet for WS also, you can't change ammo in WS or lose the tp, but i guess is a mistake when you make the itemset

head, Optical Hat, kupo expancion head (the best for now)

Dakini with acc DEX, if you have the eva AGI dakini make a evasion setup

Remenber, THF is a DoT dealer
 Asura.Frenesc
By Asura.Frenesc 2010-07-12 02:08:27  
Dakini with ACC/DEX is almost finished
Sea Gorget just need Yorva

So I know somewhat what I'm doing. Just trying to get everyone's opinion before I decide.
 Sylph.Darkei
サーバ: Sylph
user: Darkei
By Sylph.Darkei 2010-07-12 02:14:54  
good way, You know what are doing, I see many THF 80 TPing on dragon harness set or the "christmas thief" Af legs & scorpion harness

RAGEEE

anyway good luck, thf is awesome with haste/acc :Q
サーバ: Fenrir
user: mwingate
By Fenrir.Apyrrhicvictory 2010-07-12 10:43:30  
I looked over your sets, here are some suggestions.

Your going in the right direction for your TP set if your looking of haste only. Depending on your merits, I would suggest dropping the Iota Ring and going for a snipers ring or a Toreadors Ring. The new abyssea Gear is great for people that don't have access to Homam. Also the ACP would be a better idea augmenting w/ ACC and Dual Wield instead of making a WS piece.

As for your WS gear, I would look into ZNM gear Enkidu subligar in particular would be much easier to get than N. legs.

you can check out my Item sets for some of the higher tier THF gear you can get to get a idea of possible goals you can have further down the line.

Hope this helps. GL. Your on the right track.

Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-13 10:58:44  
Quote:
Also brutal suppa for WS, why? because you can hit more when end WS, sometimes the WS animation no end but you are hiting more, if triple/double attack pop after WS is best.

It's an "illusion". There is a two second delay associated with the use of any JA or WS and during this time contrary to how it looks, you cannot swing no matter what. As long as your normal TP gear is equipped again before the end of these 2 seconds following the Readies line in the chatlog, you are good. No need to WS in Suppa.
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-07-14 03:28:38  
Apyrrhic were you ever on Asura?
Also, that avatar is Lordwafik's!
サーバ: Fenrir
user: mwingate
By Fenrir.Apyrrhicvictory 2010-07-14 10:12:00  
No I wasn't. :(

I know, I <3 his avatar.. so I borrowed it.
RIP Lordwafik;; had some funny BG posts.
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-07-15 03:37:07  
I don't really have anything to say about specific gear recommendations, but only about when to use the different WS's and how to gear in general for them. So if you think it'll help you out, OP, you can read this if you like.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-07-15 15:25:03  
Sylph.Darkei said:
Asura.Frenesc said:

TP

WS

Thanks for the advice.

TP- throw tiercel and buy Peacock charm unless you eat soile sushi 1 full time, try buy toreador/sniper 1 over Iota

WS- get the Sea gorget (Soil gorget) o PCC for WS, kubira no is bad, but best more acc, dancing edge is multy hit, as penta trust, if no have enough acc decrease your WS damage if no enter the five hits.

Fire bomblet for WS also, you can't change ammo in WS or lose the tp, but i guess is a mistake when you make the itemset

head, Optical Hat, kupo expancion head (the best for now)

Dakini with acc DEX, if you have the eva AGI dakini make a evasion setup

Remenber, THF is a DoT dealer

Excuse me good sir, But you can most certainly switch AMMO slots without losing TP.

Its only the RANGED slot that causes TP Lose, not Ammo.