users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Conserve MP gear
Conserve MP gear
 Titan.Ellid
サーバ: Titan
Game: FFXI
By Titan.Ellid 2010-07-11 03:09:45  
I'm just looking for some help on this.

Wiki says that conserve mp gear can take effect at pre-cast time and be swapped out mid-cast and still take effect.

The way I see it, if there are no alternatives to enhance the spell conserve mp gear should be put in pre-cast and then switch to more appropriate gear.

I've been digging through several different research items and I can't find anything to support this. All of the research says about the tiers of conserve mp, how often it works but there's nothing to support the claim that conserve mp gear can be removed mid cast.

Wiki Conserve MP link

Wiki source (alla)

SCH research on Conserve MP
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-11 03:48:18  
If Conserve MP has been in the game for 8 years, don't you think there would be a reliable source for info on it?
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-11 03:58:38  
It looks like the edit for the FFXIclopedia page was back in May of 2010, by someone who didn't put in any info or say anything on the talk page. I'd be willing to bet they probably just had a weird experience with it caused by lag or something.

Even disregarding Wiki, it doesn't make sense for Conserve MP to proc when you don't have it on for the cast. That's like being able to macro in MAB and INT, then swap to max MP gear before the cast goes off, and still expecting to get max damage.

Fast Cast works with precast because you're affecting the casting TIME, not the spell itself. Same reason Haste gear doesn't give you a recast reduction when not equipped when the cast goes off. It actually affects the spell (Namely the recast), so you have to have it on FOR the spell.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-11 07:34:20  
I noticed the change myself and went out to test it.

While not 100% conclusive I precasted a good 120ish spells in +10 conserve mp (which should be around 10% activation rate) and not once did it proc. Yes I could've had bad luck but yeah...

And yes I made sure all the spells costed more than 16 mp so it didn't get rounded down to 0.

I also went around just full casting in it and I got near 10% activation rate on it in the 30 or so cast I did.