users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Enmity + Merits
Enmity + Merits
 Phoenix.Slytribal
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-06-17 19:41:25  
For this question, I'd like to leave my other jobs out of the answer. I would like the answer to be entirely Thf based.

So my question is, is it worth it?

I mainly solo, duo (where I'm usually blink tank), Dyna and Ein with my Thf, but plan to take it into much bigger EG events

I'm currently 4/4 on crit hit and 1/4 on interruption rate.

Is it worth meriting into enmity + for TA later on, and just generally keeping hate for blink tanking, or would just going 4/4 on interruption rate be better for me?
 Asura.Shamaya
サーバ: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-06-17 21:57:32  
I had +enmity but never found it terribly useful. If we're talking about important events, for a long time now tanks like Nin/Drk, Pld/Nin, and Rdm/Nin (not to exclude some others) have had no problem quickly capping their cumulative enmity. Trick Attack w/ or w/out WS seems to hardly be needed, and only a miniscule contribution at best. Further, at a lot of endgame events, you have multiple tanks that want to keep as thin a hate line as possible, and oftentimes trick attack can only mess up that hate line.

If you're talking dynamis and einherjar, it's unimportant, as those are huge burn-style activities where tanks aren't important, and it's better to just share hate among the DD's as they attract it naturally.

For solo, you don't need it obviously. For duo, I think it can be pretty good at times. It kind of depends what you're fighting though. Sometimes when I duo with a Rdm/Nin (or even a Rdm/Whm) it's often better to let the hate bounce back and forth. And if I lose hate when I won't want to, it's usually easy to get it back with a SA, SA+WS, or collaborator. This may not be the case for everyone though. Duo aside, I think misc low-man situations is where trick attack plays a bigger role. I used to do 6-man merit-party style limbus and I did a great job of splitting hate as evenly as possible among all of our DD's. The problem with stacking enmity though is that it is in some sense arbitrary and futile, as sometimes you just want to give someone a little itty bitty amount of hate, and other times you want to give a person a whole lot of hate. So sometimes extra enmity will have helped, and other times it would not have helped at all.

All and all I've had +enmity for years and found it pretty lackluster. I don't think I've ever once thought (if only I had more enmity on my trick attack). The only time I've ever really wanted enmity is when I've been tanking, but I can count just as many times when I wish I'd had less enmity. Sorry this doesn't actually answer your question directly.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-06-17 22:04:03  
Asura.Shamaya said:
I had enmity but never found it terribly useful.

All and all I've had -enmity for years and found it pretty lackluster. I don't think I've ever once thought (if only I had less enmity on my nukes).

Same thoughts.(-emn 4/4)
 Phoenix.Slytribal
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-06-18 16:38:56  
@Shamaya

Your reply was pretty direct in the way I read I read it, and really made me think on it. With your info and now adding my other jobs into the equation, I can safely say I'll put interruption rate at 4/4, since that will come in more handy.

Thank you for the advice :p