Sorry Guys. You Can't Pay Cash For An Ipad :/

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Sorry guys. You can't pay cash for an ipad :/
Sorry guys. You can't pay cash for an ipad :/
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-05-19 19:20:08  
I'm surprised they wouldn't take cash as they're a business after all ain't they? Profit is profit and they could lose potential customers and also potentially future customers for it.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-19 19:22:30  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
I'm surprised they wouldn't take cash as they're a business after all ain't they? Profit is profit and they could lose potential customers and also potentially future customers for it.

Read the posts, mainly the ones Boss Man J posted. They have reasons behind it. Whether they're good reasons is up to you.
 Shiva.Lorielain
サーバ: Shiva
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-19 19:23:39  
Except Mac OS IS more stable, faster, uses resources better, AND is ignored by much of the community.
To be completely honest, if everything went to OpenGL, you'd see more Macs, they'd have a bigger user base, and Linux would be the 'trendy' thing to do.
Microsoft has brainwashed YOU into thinking their crappy API is anywhere NEAR OpenGL, and as such have a monopoly on it, the same monopoly they have on the 360 and its proprietary hard drive connector.
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
サーバ: Sylph
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2010-05-19 19:25:08  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:

Read the posts, mainly the ones Boss Man J posted. They have reasons behind it. Whether they're good reasons is up to you.

Jaerik's posts don't apply though. The Apple store takes cash for all other products. The only two excluded from this are the iphone and ipad. The only semi-logical explanation i have heard id to prevent black-market sales over seas, and to stick to the limit 2 per customer policy.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-19 19:30:20  
Sylph.Bouncingflea said:
Jaerik's posts don't apply though. The Apple store takes cash for all other products. The only two excluded from this are the iphone and ipad. The only semi-logical explanation i have heard id to prevent black-market sales over seas, and to stick to the limit 2 per customer policy.

If that's the case then I partially retract my argument. In my experience at local Apple stores though, they don't accept cash for anything. They certainly wouldn't for a case I tried to buy the other day.

In the case of an iPad/iPhone, I imagine that paying by credit card allows them to link the phone's serial number to the purchasing customer. That way, if a certain purchasing customer ends up activating phones under different names in a bunch of different states or countries, they know who to go after for unauthorized reselling.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-19 19:31:38  
Don't they need a card anyway since the 4G or whatever costs like $24 a month?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-19 19:47:41  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seriously, who pays in cash for anything that expensive anymore?
As I imagine you should know, the Japanese love to pay cash for just about everything (Unless you're talking about just in the US)

I wonder if this applies to the apple store in Japan too, I imagine people would throw a fit if it did, lol.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-19 19:57:59  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
As I imagine you should know, the Japanese love to pay cash for just about everything (Unless you're talking about just in the US)

US only, of course. =) I never use plastic in Japan. Then again, I don't feel weird carrying around two grand in bills there, either. In the US it just feels... wrong.

I haven't lived there for going on 8 years now... but I notice friends who come to visit from Japan are much better about plastic these days. Ten years ago, I had to actually teach them what to do. (Okay slide it here... no, the other way... right, now sign the thingy... etc.) So it must be getting more mainstream.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-05-19 20:09:41  
I rarely carry cash. I think it's silly how people in this thread are hating on Apple and calling them stupid for obvious reasons.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-19 20:09:47  
Yeah, I think when I first visited japan like... 8 or 9 years ago, about half the stores I went to didn't even take credit card.

I really weirded out one of my roommates in the US when I paid my portion of the rent in cash one month even though it was only like $300ish, lol.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2010-05-19 20:17:45  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Totally reading this thread on my iPhone lawl.

now that's win, lol
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-19 20:19:58  
A lot of people pay with cash in Sweden. Some stores require IDs when you try and pay with a card and not everyone has an ID so it's just easier to pay in cash, even with the expensive stuff. Paid for my PS3 in cash and that was like 800 bucks when I bought it.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-19 20:21:45  
gogo full chargeback rights when a Stolen/counterfeit card is used at a Ipod store! everything has a certain degree of risk the question now is Customer service. If 90% of their clients pay debit/credit then wtv.
 Sylph.Spency
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-19 20:22:06  
I got pretty pissed off when I went through the Tim Hortons drive-thru the other day to find they only accepted cash
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-19 20:23:22  
What? Only cash. Dude your timms suck
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-19 20:26:31  
Must be some Canadian thing. What the *** is a Tim Horton.
 Sylph.Spency
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-19 20:30:30  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
What? Only cash. Dude your timms suck

It depends which one you go to, most have debit at least now.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-19 20:38:04  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:
Apple has brainwashed the general public into thinking a PC that runs Mac OS is somehow "better" than a regular PC.

This is like saying that someone who buys a Lexus is somehow "brainwashed" into thinking it's "better" than a Civic.

It has obviously worked if people are addressing Macs to be on a different level than any other PC. The Mac vs. PC commercials are pretty good at enforcing this.

And yeah, some people with a Lexus may flaunt it. You're more likely to hear someone say "I need to pick up my Lexus from the airport" than "I need to pick up my Honda from the airport."
Quote:
They both have four wheels, four doors, and four seats. They have the same warranty, the same expected mileage in their lifetime. The same horsepower, the same cylinder configuration. You can even get the same level of interior and extras. So why would anyone pay 3x as much for a Lexus? There are many more Civics on the road, but last I checked, Lexus isn't exactly struggling for business.

It's for status. People pay for the brand, brand loyalty, etc. Apple is a master of this. There are people who swear by Apple and buy only Apple products. Of course it's dumb. Especially with Linux/BSD around.
Quote:
Feature set divided by price point is not the only equation by which people make purchase decisions.

By that logic, nobody would wear designer brand clothes because they're not tangibly "better" than anything else. A one bedroom studio in Manhattan wouldn't cost 8x as much as a four bedroom house in Nebraska. There are intangibles in play, the perceived value of which differ from person to person.

Fabric/craft quality, cost/standards of living... these are rather incomparable to the above.
 Phoenix.Jovant
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2010-05-19 20:39:58  
im sorry but refusing business using any LOGICAL method of payment is bad for any business, period.

(had to throw logical in there before some jack *** starts haggling me about the barter system >.>;)

cash is STILL accepted everywhere if its foreign? go to a local foregin cash exchange
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-05-19 20:50:27  
Sylph.Spency said:
I got pretty pissed off when I went through the Tim Hortons drive-thru the other day to find they only accepted cash

I went to a Subway in the UK, and it was cash only as well :| Most of them accept debit cards, some don't however.
Quote:
(Okay slide it here... no, the other way... right, now sign the thingy... etc.)

Slide ; ; Never used it :( Only use the chip here !
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-19 20:52:32  
Unicorn.Ninetales said:
People pay for the brand, brand loyalty, etc. Apple is a master of this. There are people who swear by Apple and buy only Apple products. Of course it's dumb. Especially with Linux/BSD around.

My point is that Apple aren't the only people who do this. I know people with intense loyalty to certain designer brands. Certain cars. Certain kinds of vodka. Certain restaurant chains. Etc. And are willing to pay more for it, even if there's no tangible difference. Are all of these people "dumb" because of it?

It seems like over-reaching to insult the intelligence of the general public for doing something that's basic human nature.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-05-19 21:00:33  
So much hate against apple, I dont get it -_-
Apple is a smart company, that make good products that sell amazingly well. (Hellooo ipod and iphone)
 Quetzalcoatl.Zandra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zandra
By Quetzalcoatl.Zandra 2010-05-19 21:00:56  
Wow, I forgot how anti-cash America is. Been in Japan too long where carrying 600$ in cash is part of my normal day. I do prefer being able to go places with just ID and debit card in my pocket though.

And honestly, iPad demand is so high right now I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less if they turn down the outliers who want to use cash. Just go put the cash in your account and charge it!
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-19 21:01:20  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:
People pay for the brand, brand loyalty, etc. Apple is a master of this. There are people who swear by Apple and buy only Apple products. Of course it's dumb. Especially with Linux/BSD around.

My point is that Apple aren't the only people who do this. I know people with intense loyalty to certain designer brands. Certain cars. Certain kinds of vodka. Certain restaurant chains. Etc. And are willing to pay more for it, even if there's no tangible difference. Are all of these people "dumb" because of it?

It seems like over-reaching to insult the intelligence of the general public for doing something that's basic human nature.
I would almost equate this to Alienware laptops. "Almost" because they technically ARE the best, but they charge like 800 dollars or more just for a tiny upgrade, flashy effects, and the Alienware name. And I almost bought one about a month ago. 2100 dollars for a laptop that's comparable to the one I bought. I paid 600 dollars for mine. It's an ASUS, not AS cool as an Alienware but definitely a better price.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-19 21:03:27  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Apple is a smart company, that make good products that sell amazingly well. (Hellooo ipod and iphone)
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-19 21:04:19  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I know people with intense loyalty to certain designer brands. Certain cars. Certain kinds of vodka...
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
And are willing to pay more for it, even if there's no tangible difference.
Whoa whoa whoa, stop the bus mister.

There's always a tangible difference in Vodka.

That being said, I've never owned an apple product in my life. I've used Macs at various jobs for graphic design and such, but i've never went out and bought anything made by apple. I am, however, strongly considering picking up an Ipad. My laptop is all but useless nowdays, and i never use it for any sort of gaming. i think a portable tablet that can access the internet almost anywhere would be a very good replacement for it.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-05-19 21:07:11  
Siren.Enternius said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Except for the fact that a Mac these days are powerfull enough to play most brand new games, just like a brand new windows-based pc would be:P

And, when it comes to a laptop, why buy a powerhouse of a machine?
Powerfull windows based desktop + a macbook = Perfect.
And if I wanna play ffxi while I'm out traveling, just boot the macbook in windows, it works just like a normal PC.
A brand new macbook isnt expensive either.

Edit: Even the normal macbook have a Geforce 320M graphics chip now, that's more than I'd personally ever need for my laptop.
 Bahamut.Liandras
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Liandras
By Bahamut.Liandras 2010-05-19 21:17:07  
Mac: Perfect when you want to have to install a whole different OS to play theANY game..

Non Mac: Hey look hardware, and two OS's I can install.. Three if I get Hacintosh.. I can play games in Two out of three, Perfect.

Wait.. What Were you trying to get at Kvazz? Buying a Macbook, to boot windows, to play FFXI... = Win?